E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 320D Efficient Dynamics - Possible Wheel Change

06-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
swhoyle
Private

Drives: 320D

320D Efficient Dynamics - Possible Wheel Change

Hello

Wondered if anyone could possibly offer some advice,

The 320D ED comes with its own style 16 inch rims with non run flat super low resistance tyres etc, which are really great for fuel economy etc ... but lets face it they're kinda ugly.

I was wondering if there was anything stopping me from changing them to a 17 or 18 inch wheel instead, I know that some may say if defeats the purpose of the ED model but in fairness I didn't buy the car on the basis of its outright efficiency I chose it because it had lots of other nice toys and the power difference between the ED and the standard 320D is insignificant.

If I loose a few mpg I'm not too bothered, Im sure I can cope with running at 60Mpg instead of 65

If anyone knows of any issues changing wheels Id be interested to know so that I don't jump the gun and get wheels that I can't fit

Many thanks

Steve
      06-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
rich1068
has left the building

Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I'm not aware of any issues. There was a multi-page ED thread going for a while and I'm sure this question came up. And am I right in saying the ED rides a little lower than a regular E90? Going to some nice 17s may suit it. Don't forget to factor in insurance though.
rich1068 is offline   United Kingdom
      06-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
swhoyle
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
I'm not aware of any issues. There was a multi-page ED thread going for a while and I'm sure this question came up. And am I right in saying the ED rides a little lower than a regular E90? Going to some nice 17s may suit it. Don't forget to factor in insurance though.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, yes it does ride lower, apparently in a bid to reduce drag, I don't really want to much bigger then 17, I had an SE with the multi spoke alloys and I'd quite like to put some of those on it if they will fit

Would the insurance company need to know even if they are still BMW wheels that I fit?
      06-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #4
IanS100
Colonel

Drives: 320d LCI M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhoyle View Post
Would the insurance company need to know even if they are still BMW wheels that I fit?
Yes, or they could void your insurance if you have an accident. Your insurance company will take the view that any modifications that substantially increase the value of the car, make it look like a more expensive model, make it more it more desireable or stand out all warrant an increased premium.
IanS100 is offline   United Kingdom
      07-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
paulh76

Drives: f30 230d ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhoyle View Post
Hello

Wondered if anyone could possibly offer some advice,

The 320D ED comes with its own style 16 inch rims with non run flat super low resistance tyres etc, which are really great for fuel economy etc ... but lets face it they're kinda ugly.

I was wondering if there was anything stopping me from changing them to a 17 or 18 inch wheel instead, I know that some may say if defeats the purpose of the ED model but in fairness I didn't buy the car on the basis of its outright efficiency I chose it because it had lots of other nice toys and the power difference between the ED and the standard 320D is insignificant.

If I loose a few mpg I'm not too bothered, Im sure I can cope with running at 60Mpg instead of 65

If anyone knows of any issues changing wheels Id be interested to know so that I don't jump the gun and get wheels that I can't fit

Many thanks

Steve
Hi Steve are you referring to the f30 2012 ed version? Have you managed to fit any bigger wheels to the car? I have tried 397 alloys and they caused loads of vibration through the steering wheel so I took them off. Hoping that someone else fitted there's correctly.....
      07-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #6
swhoyle
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulh76 View Post
Hi Steve are you referring to the f30 2012 ed version? Have you managed to fit any bigger wheels to the car? I have tried 397 alloys and they caused loads of vibration through the steering wheel so I took them off. Hoping that someone else fitted there's correctly.....
No Sorry, I have the E90 320D ED 2010 (60)

Since I can only find one person thats done it, I don't dare take the risk.