E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 320D Efficient Dynamics - Possible Wheel Change



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
swhoyle
Private
 
Drives: 320D
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: England

Posts: 69
iTrader: (0)

320D Efficient Dynamics - Possible Wheel Change

Hello

Wondered if anyone could possibly offer some advice,

The 320D ED comes with its own style 16 inch rims with non run flat super low resistance tyres etc, which are really great for fuel economy etc ... but lets face it they're kinda ugly.

I was wondering if there was anything stopping me from changing them to a 17 or 18 inch wheel instead, I know that some may say if defeats the purpose of the ED model but in fairness I didn't buy the car on the basis of its outright efficiency I chose it because it had lots of other nice toys and the power difference between the ED and the standard 320D is insignificant.

If I loose a few mpg I'm not too bothered, Im sure I can cope with running at 60Mpg instead of 65

If anyone knows of any issues changing wheels Id be interested to know so that I don't jump the gun and get wheels that I can't fit

Many thanks

Steve
swhoyle is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
rich1068
has left the building
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK

Posts: 3,363
iTrader: (0)

I'm not aware of any issues. There was a multi-page ED thread going for a while and I'm sure this question came up. And am I right in saying the ED rides a little lower than a regular E90? Going to some nice 17s may suit it. Don't forget to factor in insurance though.
rich1068 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
swhoyle
Private
 
Drives: 320D
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: England

Posts: 69
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
I'm not aware of any issues. There was a multi-page ED thread going for a while and I'm sure this question came up. And am I right in saying the ED rides a little lower than a regular E90? Going to some nice 17s may suit it. Don't forget to factor in insurance though.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, yes it does ride lower, apparently in a bid to reduce drag, I don't really want to much bigger then 17, I had an SE with the multi spoke alloys and I'd quite like to put some of those on it if they will fit

Would the insurance company need to know even if they are still BMW wheels that I fit?
swhoyle is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #4
IanS100
Colonel
 
IanS100's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d LCI M Sport Plus
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southport UK

Posts: 2,559
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhoyle View Post
Would the insurance company need to know even if they are still BMW wheels that I fit?
Yes, or they could void your insurance if you have an accident. Your insurance company will take the view that any modifications that substantially increase the value of the car, make it look like a more expensive model, make it more it more desireable or stand out all warrant an increased premium.
IanS100 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
paulh76
New Member
 
Drives: f30 230d ed
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: cambridgeshire

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhoyle View Post
Hello

Wondered if anyone could possibly offer some advice,

The 320D ED comes with its own style 16 inch rims with non run flat super low resistance tyres etc, which are really great for fuel economy etc ... but lets face it they're kinda ugly.

I was wondering if there was anything stopping me from changing them to a 17 or 18 inch wheel instead, I know that some may say if defeats the purpose of the ED model but in fairness I didn't buy the car on the basis of its outright efficiency I chose it because it had lots of other nice toys and the power difference between the ED and the standard 320D is insignificant.

If I loose a few mpg I'm not too bothered, Im sure I can cope with running at 60Mpg instead of 65

If anyone knows of any issues changing wheels Id be interested to know so that I don't jump the gun and get wheels that I can't fit

Many thanks

Steve
Hi Steve are you referring to the f30 2012 ed version? Have you managed to fit any bigger wheels to the car? I have tried 397 alloys and they caused loads of vibration through the steering wheel so I took them off. Hoping that someone else fitted there's correctly.....
paulh76 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #6
swhoyle
Private
 
Drives: 320D
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: England

Posts: 69
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulh76 View Post
Hi Steve are you referring to the f30 2012 ed version? Have you managed to fit any bigger wheels to the car? I have tried 397 alloys and they caused loads of vibration through the steering wheel so I took them off. Hoping that someone else fitted there's correctly.....
No Sorry, I have the E90 320D ED 2010 (60)

Since I can only find one person thats done it, I don't dare take the risk.
swhoyle is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST