E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Filler Flap Actuator replacement

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
DIY: Filler Flap Actuator replacement
Published by Javy
07-15-2012
DIY: Filler Flap Actuator replacement

I recently purchased an 09 e92. The previous owner forced the gas cap opened when car was locked and broke the rod which holds the cap locked. I decided to put together my first DIY on how to replace the actuator. My actuator was working just fine but the rod was broken. BMW does not sell just the rod but rather the whole assembly for $62.67 with tax. Part # 67116985880.

Heres a quick DIY.

The part we are replacing is number 5 on the diagram.

Here is what it looks like.

Start by removing the battery cover, the T40 screw circled in red, and all the tabs (4) holding that lining in place.

Then remove the center lining in the trunk with covers the electronics.

Now remove the four tabs shown with arrows with your hands or a flat screwdriver. Lift the tabs circled and remove the screw inside. Lift the piece and set aside.

You can now pull the lining off the side of the car and find this. Remove the two tabs circled in red to be able to pull back that lining to access the actuator

Loosen the two T20 screws which are hold the actuator in place. By doing this, you can just slide back the actuator enough to fit the screws through the larger opening making the actuator fall off.

To make the job easier, you can remove the three T20 screws and pull the white box forward so you can slide your have in there to get to the actuator plug.

This is what the plug looks like. Just press down on the ridges and slide the pieces apart. Remove the actuator and set aside.

Heres the difference between the old actuator and the new one. If you notice, the old one has a piece of the rod missing which is the part that slides open and hold the door shut.

Now go to the gas tank and remove this peice by just getting a small flat screw driver and turning it counter clock wise.

You will end up with a bigger hole to slide the rod through it. This makes it cake. I was trying to slide the rod in by fishing it out not knowing this piece comes off.

You can now just go back in the trunk and slide the new actuator in. I suggest plug it in and then unlock the car. This will activate the actuator to slide the rod out further making it easier to slide the rod into the opening of the gas tank.

Screw back all the things in reverse order and you are all set. Job took me about an hour and half. Very simple and nothing to major.

Hope you find it useful. Good luck
Instagram- (javy_e92) 09 335i coupe / M package / Alpine White / Dinan Stage 2 / Alpina B3 Flash / Alufelgen SF71 / ST coils / Lux H8 / AFE Stage 2 intake / 6700k mtech HID / Performance trunk spoiler / Gloss black roof / CF interior wrap / PE Muffler Mod / ETS Charge pipe / Tial BOV / Cyba Quad Diffuser / Cyba Quad Black Chrome tips / Gloss black grills / AW reflectors / LED turn signals / Remote Key +
Tutorial Tools
By Cynicc on 08-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Awesome DIY. Just did this earlier and it was really easy. Thank you for posting this.
By 3Coupe4Me on 08-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Thanks for the DIY. It's always good to know as much little DIY's about the car as possible. Good job. Too bad you had to spend $63 for the whole part when only a small piece broke off.
By Javy on 08-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Member reviews
80%80%80%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
80%80%80%
Average 87%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicc View Post
Awesome DIY. Just did this earlier and it was really easy. Thank you for posting this.
No problem. Glad I was able to help a member out.
By Javy on 08-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Member reviews
80%80%80%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
80%80%80%
Average 87%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Coupe4Me View Post
Thanks for the DIY. It's always good to know as much little DIY's about the car as possible. Good job. Too bad you had to spend $63 for the whole part when only a small piece broke off.
Thank you for the kind words. I was hoping I can buy just the rod but yes, I had to replace the whole module.
By tvnguyen224 on 05-25-2014, 08:47 PM
Member reviews
100%100%100%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
100%100%100%
Average 100%
Many thanks for instruction

I just well done my replacement following your instruction. Very Helpful post in forum. I bought whole set actuator but I just replace rod only so save my time. I hope a rob has been made by metal so hard to break off.
Thank you
Ryan
Last edited by tvnguyen224; 05-25-2014 at 08:53 PM.
By Javy on 05-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Member reviews
80%80%80%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
80%80%80%
Average 87%
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvnguyen224 View Post
I just well done my replacement following your instruction. Very Helpful post in forum. I bought whole set actuator but I just replace rod only so save my time. I hope a rob has been made by metal so hard to break off.
Thank you
Ryan
Glad I was able to help. I agree with you on making the rod metal or maybe just a bit thicker so it isn't so easy to break.
Comment