E90Post

Bimmertech

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > new 318D - opinion after short drive

07-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Jules59
First Lieutenant

Drives: E91

new 318D - opinion after short drive

Has a brand new (47 miles) 318D loaner today - fairly basic manual model.
Suspension/RFT combination is much much better now. Steering direct with good turn in. Handles better than I expected in the pouring rain, but engine not really able to scare you.
Had a fiddle with sport/comfort settings - not too sure what it does except make the accelerator more responsive.
I-drive works even better and very informative, though the high res screen itself is housed in an a simply horrid affair and looks cheap and nasty.
Clutch peddle too far to the right and my left foot kept getting stuck against foot rest and peddle until I worked wear to place it.
1st to 2nd rather stiff but it was very new.
Very good MPG despite engine being so new. Got 47mpg where my 330D auto would get 37mpg.
Engine had good low down torque but nothing else really; no mid range surge beloved by diesel owners, so needs lots of gear changing to make rapid progress. Revs smoothly but gives little benefit. Quite quiet.
Interior looks typical BMW except the screen housing. Externally, OK except for bonnet gap across the front.
Overall not a bad car at all IMO (just dont look at it )
Would be nice to try a comparable model to gauge it against mine.