E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > New Obama ad: "Here's the evidence, Mr. Romney. Your turn to explain"

07-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #23
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 128i space gray vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
So you're saying the Chevrolet Spark isn't made in South Korea?

Let me quote you "Try knowing what the f-k you're talking about before attempting to make a useful post."
What the f-k is a spark?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #24
rohms3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchAndCigar View Post
What the f-k is a spark?
http://www.chevrolet.com/spark-mini-car/

A car, sold in the US, imported from South Korea.

But you have the facts right?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #25
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Quote:
The link indicates what they are now building. The "holden" gto was canned years ago. So are the daewoos and suzukis and Aussie built Saturns. You're wrong. Goodbye.
Sorry, the new Chevrolet Caprice is being built by the Aussies. Like I said, your info is out of date.
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #26
lkw15
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
2015 M3  [5.00]
1976 BMW 2002  [4.67]
2013 BMW X5 35i Pre ...  [5.00]
Quote:
We loaned them the money, they've paid it back. And what "sea" is between the US, Mexico and Canada?
Technically they haven't paid the U.S. government back fully. We still own about 26% of the company, which was funded with taxpayer dollars. If the government sells it stake in the company and makes back $43 billion, then we'll be whole again.

I'm not questioning whether or not the bailout was necessary / successful / right or wrong, but they have not fully paid back the government.

With that being said, GM's performance has been impressive and clearly they couldn't survive with restructuring, getting leaner and renegotiating with the labor unions.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #27
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeasl View Post
Sorry, the new Chevrolet Caprice is being built by the Aussies. Like I said, your info is out of date.
According to Edmunds.com, there is no model named caprice, and the spark is a "not yet for sale" 2013 car. Too bad.
http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/?ps=new
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #28
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep

Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Caprice is for the Aussie market only lol. So they are making the car for themselves, not the US. The Pontiac G8, the US equivalent, is built in Australia though.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 05:44 AM   #29
rohms3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchAndCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeasl
According to Edmunds.com, there is no model named caprice, and the spark is a "not yet for sale" 2013 car. Too bad.
http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/?ps=new
You just don't give up. You can't admit you were wrong.

The car goes on sale shortly here, which means they are rolling down a production line in Korea as we speak.

Anyway, the point is, GM is Making a car in South Korea, that you will be able to buy here shortly. But again it's fine that taxpayers footed a huge loan and GM in turn begins manufacturing domestic market cars overseas. Obama didn't happen to mention that in his hypocritical ad.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #30
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe
Rep

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Speaking of the OP I see NASA just sent another one of our boys to the space station on a Russian rocket. Thank you Mr President......!
Ummm, it was under President Bush's last term that the Shuttle fleet was grounded. You can't pin that one on Obama.
      07-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #31
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You just don't give up. You can't admit you were wrong.

The car goes on sale shortly here, which means they are rolling down a production line in Korea as we speak.

Anyway, the point is, GM is Making a car in South Korea, that you will be able to buy here shortly. But again it's fine that taxpayers footed a huge loan and GM in turn begins manufacturing domestic market cars overseas. Obama didn't happen to mention that in his hypocritical ad.
What am I wrong about? The Caprice and Spark are not currently for sale Chevy models in the US.

Over the past 30 years, GM has sold the Daewoo Pontiac Lemans, rebadged Suzukis, Opals, Toyotas, and Aussie models, and shared parts with Saab. Chrysler was selling rebadged Mitsubishis in the early 80's. Ford was selling rebadged Mazdas years ago, and making Jaguar crosses. Chrysler was controlled by Daimler and is now controlled by Fiat. So what does this all mean? Is GM a foreign company? They are now making more of their American market cars in North America than in the past. The point is, it's a US based company that enables about 2 million American jobs.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #32
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
Ummm, it was under President Bush's last term that the Shuttle fleet was grounded. You can't pin that one on Obama.
Ummm, this isn't about the space shuttle. Obummer closed the space program effectively forcing the US to "rent" seats on rockets from other countries so that we can get into space.

Last edited by cssnms; 07-16-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #33
rohms3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What am I wrong about? The Caprice and Spark are not currently for sale Chevy models in the US.

Over the past 30 years, GM has sold the Daewoo Pontiac Lemans, rebadged Suzukis, Opals, Toyotas, and Aussie models, and shared parts with Saab. Chrysler was selling rebadged Mitsubishis in the early 80's. Ford was selling rebadged Mazdas years ago, and making Jaguar crosses. Chrysler was controlled by Daimler and is now controlled by Fiat. So what does this all mean? Is GM a foreign company? They are now making more of their American market cars in North America than in the past. The point is, it's a US based company that enables about 2 million American jobs.
Quit weaseling your way around the truth. The spark goes on sale in August/September. 1 month. Like I said that means they are on their way down the production line and sitting on boats right now.

You clearly said earlier in the thread that GM makes no cars for the US in Korea. You were wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchAndCigar
Wrongo! Not any more. Try knowing what the f-k you're talking about before attempting to make a useful post.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #34
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quit weaseling your way around the truth. The spark goes on sale in August/September. 1 month. Like I said that means they are on their way down the production line and sitting on boats right now.

You clearly said earlier in the thread that GM makes no cars for the US in Korea. You were wrong.
I don't care what's on the way, or any of the other shit you keep spewing at me. The truth is that my statement is correct as I made it. You can't walk into a US Chevy dealership today and walk out with a Spark or a Caprice. How many times are you going to post about this? Just because you disagree with my political views, do you have to follow me around and taunt me with this shit? Get a life.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #35
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't care what's on the way, or any of the other shit you keep spewing at me. The truth is that my statement is correct as I made it. You can't walk into a US Chevy dealership today and walk out with a Spark or a Caprice. How many times are you going to post about this? Just because you disagree with my political views, do you have to follow me around and taunt me with this shit? Get a life.
The Caprice went on sale early this past spring. Just look behind you and you'll see one. When you do see one back there I hope you don't.spout off like you do on this fourm
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #36
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States
Rep

Sorry that these are rotated. But you can see by this window sticker that these cars are real and that they were assembled in Elizabeth, Aus and shipped to Miles Chevrolet in Decatur, IL USA

BTW: It must have been a fall 2011 release date judging by the date on the sticker. My mistake

Name:  Decatur-20120716-00010.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  203.1 KB

Name:  Decatur-20120716-00012.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  230.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #37
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry that these are rotated. But you can see by this window sticker that these cars are real
They are police fleet only, not for public sale. Let it go.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 02:56 AM   #38
fokus45
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: little blue dune buggy

Scotch, you are wrong. Proof was posted. They were built in Aus and shipped to the US. It makes no difference who they are for. You let it go.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #39
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokus45 View Post
Proof was posted. They were built in Aus and shipped to the US. It makes no difference who they are for.
Dude, you don't get to make up the rules. It's not among the cars you can buy. GM also makes the old version Malibu, called the Malibu Classic, for rental fleets. That doesn't count either. And "proving" it by showing a window sticker is idiotic. I read automotive news, I don't need a picture to prove something that is not in dispute.

Do you understand the idiocy in prolonging this discussion? We all know that GM has spent decades rebadging "overseas" cars, and will be doing so in the future. GM also sells all sorts of special market vehicles, from police cruisers to various commercial trucks, built god-knows-where. I don't care. The current list of passenger vehicles they are selling today are all built in North America. The Caprice is not listed as a vehicle you can buy.

If you want to make your own categories and rules, go ahead. But the fact that the Caprice police cruiser is made in Australia doesn't mean anything. After all, there are tons of GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles being built all over the world, so from that perspective, it doesn't matter if they are for the US market or not.

But what does matter is that GM is building more of their own cars for the US, whereas in the past they rebadged all of their small cars. And the actual point of this whole topic to the thread is that GM's existence enables about 2 million American jobs.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #40
rohms3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Scotch, since you are so resistant to the truth about GM, and you read automotive news, would you care to tell us all where the Chrysler 300 is made? I'll give you a hint, it's not Detroit.

We loaned them some money too...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #41
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Scotch, since you are so resistant to the truth about GM, and you read automotive news, would you care to tell us all where the Chrysler 300 is made? I'll give you a hint, it's not Detroit.

We loaned them some money too...
Why are you harrassing me? There is no "truth about GM" that I'm "so resistant" to. Over the past dozen posts, I've discussed where all the GM products are made. And I'm not your f-king puppet; if you want to discuss where the Chrysler 300 is made, go ahead.

What is your point in continuing this? Am I stating anything that's not true? Am I saying that certain GM models which are built in Australia or Korea are actually built in Ohio?

I've clarified my point about a half-dozen times now, I'm not repeating it again. If you don't like my rules and qualifiers, that's your problem. And if it's your contention that GM and Chrysler should've been left to fold, because some of the models they sell are built overseas, then as I've repeatedly stated, I disagree with you. The bailout has been extremely successful.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #42
rohms3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why are you harrassing me? There is no "truth about GM" that I'm "so resistant" to. Over the past dozen posts, I've discussed where all the GM products are made. And I'm not your f-king puppet; if you want to discuss where the Chrysler 300 is made, go ahead.

What is your point in continuing this? Am I stating anything that's not true? Am I saying that certain GM models which are built in Australia or Korea are actually built in Ohio?

I've clarified my point about a half-dozen times now, I'm not repeating it again. If you don't like my rules and qualifiers, that's your problem. And if it's your contention that GM and Chrysler should've been left to fold, because some of the models they sell are built overseas, then as I've repeatedly stated, I disagree with you. The bailout has been extremely successful.
I'm not harassing you, nor did I say the bailout wasn't sucessful.

What I'm saying is for GM and Chrysler to outsource after taxpayers footed multi-billion dollars loans for them is fine, yet you rejoice in bashing Romney for doing the same thing.

I really don't care to carry this on any longer, and my intent was never to harass you. No, I'm not Obamas biggest fan, and our views might not be the same, but that doesn't mean I praise Romney either. I just think ads like this attack the opposition for things that hit a little too close to home.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #43
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe
Rep

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
So let me just try and get this straight.

Giving Gov't $$ to NASA = Good
Giving a Gov't loan to GM = Bad

Last edited by xbook; 07-17-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #44
SunnyD
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
Oh they paid us back so it's fine. What if they didn't?
Yea, what if Obama lent money to a company like Solyndra and then they declared bankruptcy...oh wait....
'99 ///M3 | TiAg/Dove Gray | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | IB/Black | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0