E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > You Make The Call: My Fault or The Waiter?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #23
MrRoboto
Colonel
Canada
54
Rep
2,715
Posts

 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

I think the whole tipping thing has gotten way out of hand these days. I can see leaving a gratuity for a conscientious waiter at a restaurant, but how has it gotten to the point where it's almost expected to tip the person who pours hot water in a cup and hands it out the window.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #24
TeRRoRiFiC35
Private First Class
4
Rep
110
Posts

 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Waiter got what he deserved to be honest. He should have realized that when you have him the $20, that a 20% top is only $4 and gave you change to represent that. It's simple math skills that anyone could figure out.

More times than not I usually end up with the crappy server who comes to your table to take your order and give you food only (half the time the waiter/waittress isn't the one to hand it off). I, like most people, when they go to a restaurant expect you to come around to see if anyone needs something else to drink. I shouldn't have to flag you down or ask another person there to get you, it is your job to do that.

I understand that sometimes (not all the time) the waiter/waittress makes that smaller minimum wage, but do you tip someone at a fast food restaraunt for doing the same thing? How about the guy who hands you a slice of pizza at a pizzaria? How about the person at the italian ice place who takes your order and gets it?

In HS I worked at an ice cream shop, I never expected tips. I did the equivalent if not more than a waiter, yet I don't get tipped.

A perfect example of someone who doesn't deserve to get tipped would be the waittress at Applebee's the last time I went. It was a group of us, and out of all the people there she decides to forget to bring me my drink. She doesn't come back to the table till she gives us our food. Even when she would walk by in between the time when she gave everyone their drink except me, I started saying "I sure am thirsty" everytime she walked by. I ended up walking to the bar and getting my own drink. Also in between the time she took our order and gave us our food, she got into a yelling match with a customer who also didn't receive his drink the entire time there. The guy ended up leaving because she almost got physical with the man's wife/gf. When the check eventually came, I saw she tried to charge us for the drink and I called her out on it. She then started arguing with me saying I was lying (really, I'm going to lie about one soda on a bill over $200). She ended up not getting tipped at all in the end.

Last edited by TeRRoRiFiC35; 07-16-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #25
roastbeef
Captain
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
880
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
servers don't leave with nothing at the end of the night but $2.15 an hour definitely doesn't cut it.
if they didn't suck at serving, they would get a decent tip.


i tip well and appropriately to the level of service i receive. if a burger isn't medium well, thats not the server's fault, they didn't cook it themselves. if there isn't the side of bearnaise sauce like i ordered it with, and i have to remind them, thats sh*t service.
i should never have to ask for utensils. ever. thats just basic stuff.

i've worked my share of crap jobs- without tips.

the 'ol two $5's and a $10 trick is simply leveraging. i can think of a lot of other situations where if i felt like i was being leveraged, i would tell the person to hump a beehive. i don't see how servers are any different when they are trying to guilt money out of my pockets.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #26
stylinexpat
Captain
stylinexpat's Avatar
37
Rep
814
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
servers don't leave with nothing at the end of the night but $2.15 an hour definitely doesn't cut it.
if they didn't suck at serving, they would get a decent tip.


i tip well and appropriately to the level of service i receive. if a burger isn't medium well, thats not the server's fault, they didn't cook it themselves. if there isn't the side of bearnaise sauce like i ordered it with, and i have to remind them, thats sh*t service.
i should never have to ask for utensils. ever. thats just basic stuff.

i've worked my share of crap jobs- without tips.

the 'ol two $5's and a $10 trick is simply leveraging. i can think of a lot of other situations where if i felt like i was being leveraged, i would tell the person to hump a beehive. i don't see how servers are any different when they are trying to guilt money out of my pockets.


If the server splits his tips with cooks/chefs in the back then the server is equally responsible. If they share the tips (money) then they should also share the responsibility. We personally give him/her the order to send back to the cooks/chefs in the kitchen. If their job is to just take the order back and hand you your food then their job is no different than the job of the people that work up front at Mc Donald's. They too take your order and bring you your food and if you tell them you don't want onions on your Big Mac they yell back to the people working the grill "No onions on that Big Mac!!".
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #27
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
Templar's Avatar
United_States
40
Rep
1,824
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Some of you all are missing the point... The server wasn't shitty, didn't forget shit, and didn't mess shit up with regards to the order. He just brought out certain bills for change.

I think part of the responsibility lies on the OP. You should have asked for singles when you handed him the payment. Maybe he was thinking he could get a $5 spot by giving you that, but you're assuming a lot by saying that was definitely his plan. He could have just broken it out however it was easiest at the time, or whatever. Just giving him the benefit of the doubt, a little bit.

If I were in your position, I would have handed him the payment and specifically said, "Give me some singles when you bring the change out, please." If he didn't do that like I asked, then maybe he would have deserved getting shit on...
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #28
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
MadDog's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
504
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: S.F. Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Some of you all are missing the point... The server wasn't shitty, didn't forget shit, and didn't mess shit up with regards to the order. He just brought out certain bills for change.

I think part of the responsibility lies on the OP. You should have asked for singles when you handed him the payment. Maybe he was thinking he could get a $5 spot by giving you that, but you're assuming a lot by saying that was definitely his plan. He could have just broken it out however it was easiest at the time, or whatever. Just giving him the benefit of the doubt, a little bit.

If I were in your position, I would have handed him the payment and specifically said, "Give me some singles when you bring the change out, please." If he didn't do that like I asked, then maybe he would have deserved getting shit on...
+1. Don't go back to that restaurant. If you do, check your food for spit.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #29
Springs1
Registered
0
Rep
0
Posts

 
Drives: Dodge Neon
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Long story short, had a cheap dinner out. Split a pizza at a semi-nice Italian restaurant. Bill came to $19.44.

I literally only had 2 $20 bills with me. So I gave them to the waiter.

He brings back a $10 bill and 2 $5 bills, plus 2 quarters. I immediately think, "hmmm, is he expecting me to leave $5? I am a 20% tipper with good service, but it was marginal at best and I'm not feeling like $5 is in order. Now, we aren't talking a lot of money, but I felt either he was trying to get the bigger tip or he was a total rookie. Either way, I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing his little plan worked. And if he didn't do it on purpose, maybe he won't do it again. Anyway, I left him the 50 cents and walked out.

Felt bad afterward. Maybe no tip would have been better than just the 50 cents? Or perhaps I should have just ponied up the $5?
Did you realize he STOLE 6 cents from you? You said he only returned $20 and 50 cents, but he owed you 56 cents, did you realize he SHORTED YOU? WHY did you tip him at ALL just for that, huh?

Also, it's *YOUR* RESPONSIBILITY to tell the server if you want one dollar bills. Sure the server could have asked, but they are just guessing what you want. I would have stiffed the server over the 6 cents they stole on PURPOSE, because they were TOO LAZY to get more change from the bar or bring more on them or even short themselves if they didn't have any nickles or a pennies.

$40 -19.44 = $20.56 He only gave you $20.50.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #30
Springs1
Registered
0
Rep
0
Posts

 
Drives: Dodge Neon
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Some of you all are missing the point... The server wasn't shitty, didn't forget shit, and didn't mess shit up with regards to the order. He just brought out certain bills for change.
What he should have been mad about was that he STOLE, NOT that he didn't give one's. The waiter can't read minds.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #31
Bobble
Major
Bobble's Avatar
No_Country
16
Rep
1,217
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i/RIP E46 323Ci/E30 325
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

I generally tip at or around 18 to 20%, however if the service is subpar I leave less usually 10%, if the service flat out sucks as does the food it's 5%. I think that speaks pretty loudly.
Example we frequent Claim Jumper for their happy hour menu as the two of use can eat and have a cocktail out the door for $22. We often sit at the bar and dessert/pizza cook knows us and always throws a little something in and we tip accordingly for their effort and kindness. The other night we met someone so we got there a bit later, there was a line so the ass hat waitress comes by and tells the people at the end of the line there is no wating for the bar so if you see something open or someone finishing go stand there, WTF here's several groups pateintly waiting(one an elderly couple), social order and manners and you tell this group of 7 people just to snake a table. Well she gets to be our server, promptly throws the dringk coaster on the table, takes the cocktail order and disappears for 15 minutes. Comes back with the drinks, one was an ice tea with no ice in it, we try to order since we know the menu and get the same damn things every time, she says hang on there bro, walks away and comes back 5 minutes later and takes the order. Order comes out in 3 pieces, we basically finish the entrees if you will before the salad comes, never asks if we want a refill or another cocktail and drops the bill on the table. It was $34 for 3 of us, I went out to the car got all the change in my bag out and left her $1.83 in nickels, dimes and pennies. She got her crappy 5% in change.
__________________
08 E90 335i Monaco Blue Gray Dakota ZPP ZSP Heated Seats CA Step w/Paddles iPod
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #32
Springs1
Registered
0
Rep
0
Posts

 
Drives: Dodge Neon
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
she says hang on there bro, walks away and comes back 5 minutes later and takes the order.
Just for that, she should be stiffed, seriously. You don't talk to a customer like that, that is rude!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #33
solefald
Nigerian Prince
solefald's Avatar
Vatican City State
72
Rep
2,171
Posts

 
Drives: '11 F25
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
OP, you are a tool. Did you specify that you want him to bring you ones?
Was he supposed to read your mind that you only had two $20 bills and no other cash?

And the main question: Would leaving $2 extra dollars would break a bank for you?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #34
Nutballa
Captain
Nutballa's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
790
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austin, Texas+ San Antonio

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Nutballa Send a message via Yahoo to Nutballa
Should you tip a waitress if they ask for a tip right before you leave? She mentioned it to us in an awkward way, so we left her a bad tip.
__________________
BMW FTW!

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.


Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #35
Rotorocious
Major
Rotorocious's Avatar
32
Rep
1,461
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

I don't carry cash, problem solved.
Plus you get to write and draw all of the receipts!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #36
O-cha
Brigadier General
O-cha's Avatar
82
Rep
4,729
Posts

 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
Busboys generally get a percentage from the waiter/waitresses at the end of the night/shift. That's an industry standard.

Bar-backs get a percentage of the bartender's tips who themselves may get a cut from the waiters/waitresses.

If a waiter/waitress has a zone that can seat 8 tables and people generally eat within an hour. If they get an average $5-$10 tip per table per hour, that's approximately $40/$80 per hour over an 8 HOUR SHIFT respectively!!!!! If you're in the right restaurant, you can make a killing and that's CASH.... TAX free.

Even if the busiest days are Thursday through Saturday, if you can clean $320 per day (@$5 x 8 table x 8 hours), MINIMUM, over those three days, that still about grand CASH a week!!!
You have no idea, I worked at a lunch place, avg table was 30 minutes or less, but it was in a premium location and things were literally 3x what they should be. IE 10 cocktails, 20$ for a sandwich etc. Oh man did I rake it in.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #37
adriang
Captain
adriang's Avatar
Canada
9
Rep
625
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nobleton

iTrader: (0)

Screw tipping, i see a menu, and it says $10.00 for a bowl of pasta, I'm leaving $10 plus tax. Restaurant owners pay your employees, don't expect the customers to do it!

Anyone else feel the same way?!

That being said, I don't like to eat at restaurants just because of the tip guilt.
__________________
2011 BMW 335d
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #38
Vanity
Private First Class
Vanity's Avatar
Canada
48
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E90 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: BC, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Curious as to whether or not you guys tip 20% all the time, on all meals. On a $100 dinner, would you tip 20%? Up here in BC, the tax is 12% on the bill plus your 20% tip, that's $32 tip on a $100 dinner. And usually, dinners out with the gf come out to around that much.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #39
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
11
Rep
536
Posts

 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
Curious as to whether or not you guys tip 20% all the time, on all meals. On a $100 dinner, would you tip 20%? Up here in BC, the tax is 12% on the bill plus your 20% tip, that's $32 tip on a $100 dinner. And usually, dinners out with the gf come out to around that much.
I'm in BC and I tip 15% in most cases. Only at a very nice restaurant with impressive service would I tip 20% or more. A lot of people want to tip less these days due to HST, but really HST just goes to the government, not to the restaurant or staff.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #40
iBoost
Brigadier General
iBoost's Avatar
49
Rep
3,041
Posts

 
Drives: real slow
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (13)

i would have just asked him to break a $5, i think that was pretty messed up.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 04:47 AM   #41
stylinexpat
Captain
stylinexpat's Avatar
37
Rep
814
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
Curious as to whether or not you guys tip 20% all the time, on all meals. On a $100 dinner, would you tip 20%? Up here in BC, the tax is 12% on the bill plus your 20% tip, that's $32 tip on a $100 dinner. And usually, dinners out with the gf come out to around that much.
Add 40% income tax and there goes 72% of your income.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #42
karliejai
Da Kid
karliejai's Avatar
Hong Kong
55
Rep
4,577
Posts

 
Drives: JetBlack e90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Livingston, NJ

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to karliejai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
In the US there are two minimum wages. When I worked as a server years ago it was $5.50 an hour for the employees who didn't get tipped (busboys, hostesses, etc) and around $2.15 for employees who receive tips. So servers don't leave with nothing at the end of the night but $2.15 an hour definitely doesn't cut it.
thats correct. for servers, i think the min wage now is a tad under $3. It is def not enough to make a living.
__________________


MODS: OEM Front Splitter | ACS Roof Spoiler | OEM Trunk Spoiler | Matt Black Front Grill | Black Shadowline Window Trim | Painted Front Lower Rod | Blacklines | JDM Yellow Fogs | Custom Silver CF Headlights with LUX 4.0 | Eisenhaus Sports Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #43
karliejai
Da Kid
karliejai's Avatar
Hong Kong
55
Rep
4,577
Posts

 
Drives: JetBlack e90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Livingston, NJ

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to karliejai
for all people that has never worked in this industry before, theres a lot more behind the scene stuff that you dont see. It takes 1 - 2 hours to open and prepare for everything (the just in case you need it stuff) before the restaurant opens and clean up after your shit cause you are a messy eater and leave shit load of crumbs and stain all over the seat and table cloth. Dont want to leave a tip, maybe you should go to McDonald's or Burger King and get your own straws, ketchup, napkins, and throw out your shit when you are done eating or get take outs and clean up after yourself in your own home.

Dining out is an experience or rather, you dont want to deal with the hassles of preparing your food, spending time getting everything setup, cleaning up; basically, you are just trying to enjoy yourself and your company while SOMEONE else is doing the bitch work for you. SO PAY THEM FOR THEIR SERVICE. Here in America, the price on the menu is the price for the FOOD only. The server gets no part of that. It all goes to the owner.

TIPS also stands for "to insure proper/promptness service." Some old school diners would slip you a $20 or whatever to the server when they arrive at the restaurant just so they let the server knows they are here to enjoy themselves and please provide a pleasant dinning experience. So FOR YOU PEOPLE next time you want to be a big boy baller and dine with your $200 steak dinner, BE A BIG BOY BALLER AND PAY THE BIG BOY TIP. I am in no way against spending money if you got them but i am sick of people bitching about the standard of 15% to 20% tips when they are dropping hundreds on dinner. On the other hand, if the service is lacking due to the SERVER's fault, then you can adjust your tips according but it has to be a pretty big fuckup for you to leave a big fat ZERO on tips.

The ONLY time ive left a big fat zero or even less than 10% was when the server completely forgot to put in my girlfriend's order in and when it finally came out, it wasnt what she ordered and no apologies or damage control was given. In that situation, the server is at 100% fault, forgot orders, messed up orders and didnt get a manager or anything to acknowledge the error to touch up on the situation. Hey i understand that shit happens, we all make mistakes but at least show me you are trying to fix it or attempted to wouldve helped the outcome.
__________________


MODS: OEM Front Splitter | ACS Roof Spoiler | OEM Trunk Spoiler | Matt Black Front Grill | Black Shadowline Window Trim | Painted Front Lower Rod | Blacklines | JDM Yellow Fogs | Custom Silver CF Headlights with LUX 4.0 | Eisenhaus Sports Exhaust

Last edited by karliejai; 07-17-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #44
stylinexpat
Captain
stylinexpat's Avatar
37
Rep
814
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karliejai View Post
for all people that has never worked in this industry before, theres a lot more behind the scene stuff that you dont see. It takes 1 - 2 hours to open and prepare for everything (the just in case you need it stuff) before the restaurant opens and clean up after your shit cause you are a messy eater and leave shit load of crumbs and stain all over the seat and table cloth. Dont want to leave a tip, maybe you should go to McDonald's or Burger King and get your own straws, ketchup, napkins, and throw out your shit when you are done eating or get take outs and clean up after yourself in your own home.

Dining out is an experience or rather, you dont want to deal with the hassles of preparing your food, spending time getting everything setup, cleaning up; basically, you are just trying to enjoy yourself and your company while SOMEONE else is doing the bitch work for you. SO PAY THEM FOR THEIR SERVICE. Here in America, the price on the menu is the price for the FOOD only. The server gets no part of that. It all goes to the owner.

TIPS also stands for "to insure proper/promptness service." Some old school diners would slip you a $20 or whatever to the server when they arrive at the restaurant just so they let the server knows they are here to enjoy themselves and please provide a pleasant dinning experience. So FOR YOU PEOPLE next time you want to be a big boy baller and dine with your $200 steak dinner, BE A BIG BOY BALLER AND PAY THE BIG BOY TIP. I am in no way against spending money if you got them but i am sick of people bitching about the standard of 15% to 20% tips when they are dropping hundreds on dinner. On the other hand, if the service is lacking due to the SERVER's fault, then you can adjust your tips according but it has to be a pretty big fuckup for you to leave a big fat ZERO on tips.

The ONLY time ive left a big fat zero or even less than 10% was when the server completely forgot to put in my girlfriend's order in and when it finally came out, it wasnt what she ordered and no apologies or damage control was given. In that situation, the server is at 100% fault, forgot orders, messed up orders and didnt get a manager or anything to acknowledge the error to touch up on the situation. Hey i understand that shit happens, we all make mistakes but at least show me you are trying to fix it or attempted to wouldve helped the outcome.
Why take it out on the customer and not the employer The price of an airline ticket is also for the trip as well, should everyone on board of an airplane tip 20% of the ticket fare to the crew for serving us food during our flight and to the pilot for flying us to the destination because the money for that ticket goes to the airline company What about mechanics at the dealership, should they be tipped as well for working on our cars How about the gardeners who do the gardening work. If the guy gets $100 per month to mow the lawn once a week and pays or under pays some other dude to mow the lawn instead does that mean we owe him 20% as well

You mentioned being a big baller and spending $200 on a steak dinner to where you laid the fault upon the customer. Why is it the customer's fault/responsibility and not the restaurant owner/employer's responsibility to ball up as well and share some of their earnings with their employees?

The poor people in China making iPhone and iPads for Apple are well under paid by Apple. Should the end user fork out 20% of their phone for the employees who helped put that phone together

It's weird.. If the customer does not fork out 20% extra on top of their bill to give the employees at the restaurant (of which they work for and work at) then the customer is considered bad and cheap but when the boss refuses to fork out or share 20% of his income with the employees then it is viewed as ok

I am not against tipping but these days the way tipping is going it is becoming like a tax to where it is not an option but part of the bill on each when one goes out to eat. Tipping should remain an option by each individual to choose on whether or not they should tip. I don't mind tipping but what I do think many people out there do mind is it being forced upon them like a tax of some sort.

Last edited by stylinexpat; 07-17-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST