E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VRSF Intercooler has Arrived and Installed

07-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #23
Motastic
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEE View Post
that looks really good. Looks also have been a concern of mine. If I spend money like that for a FMIC I would like it to look like a FMIC not a radiator fan!!! Looks great!!!
honest that was my main concern and thats why I liked the stett over the previous ones before this because it sat way up front by the grill but this completely changes everything. I even had considered removing the honeycomb to show it but it shows well enough the way it is. I give it 10/10 for looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
We're there any parts that you had to buy extra?

For example, I have an ER CP and am hoping that the 7" will fit direct onto this and onto turbo side without any extra parts being needed.

Butt dyno reading would be nice and have you notices temps much lower?
Had to buy no extra parts. Comes with everything. I did not want to use Stock coupler's so I used the one's it came with. It makes things a little difficult on the install (between removing old ones and installing new ones, mostly removing the passenger side) but it came with everything needed. I have the ER CP as well and it worked perfectly with it. I am changing to STETT CP next week so will update with fitment with that as well.

Honestly the Temp's, didnt pay attention by the time I got home yesterday, it was 11 at night. I dont drive the car daily, but ill pull it out right now to go to the gym to see how it pulls. even loaded the FMIC maps on now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary Rasp View Post
That looks sick, can't wait to order one.
Thanks! It is by far the best one for the buck out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaBred View Post
Based on what I saw in the pictures there is no replacement piping as supplied with ER's kit? Sweet looking intercooler btw with that front bumper!
Thank you sir! It comes with the coupler's so you can just take crappy stock one's out and replace it with the ones it comes with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3redblack View Post
How much is it?
I think he is going to have a group buy coming up pretty soon here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBMWLA View Post
Few words on the 'butt dyno' reading?
ill update with that later on today, ill take it to the gym and try it. I dont DD it, have an altima for that so it was in the garage all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADebelius View Post
Looks good. I couldn't wait though and went the Wagner route. Lets see some logs
I know but I had been patient for a while but worth it in the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by HifiSyd View Post
Looks great! This will be my next mod for sure.
def a great investment! Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma3710 View Post
I cant wait until it comes out for the general public.
worth the wait my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akotten View Post
Glad to see it fits the M3 rep bumpers. Cool. In for logs.
will do some logging today when I pull out for the gym in a bit. It worth perfect with M3 Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
Looks awesome!!! VRSF is finally giving us a balance between the uber expensive and the Chinese DIY crap(IMO.)

If you need any help with the logging just shoot me a PM(or check this out http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696472 )
Rader1 def goioing to take you up on the offer to Log. I suck.

Also ya thats what I love about them, no BMW tax but quality product with lifetime warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu View Post
The fan retainer tabs are a nice feature. I wish my Helix had that.

Looks like a nice unit. Any closeups of the charge rows?
i dont have any i can take some this weekend if you want though. Take it off and take some for yall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Black 335i View Post
Dude.. the M3 rep + FMIC + orange paint looks sick!
thank you sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Elvis View Post
So jealous. So very jealous.
we can get one on your car too but thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wduck View Post
Looks great and absolutely love the Tennessee Vols orange. Really brings it all together! Go Vols! (and hurry, damnit!)
I know some of you will mistaken that for Texas colors. That mistake is made quite a bit.
lol its all about the longhorns right? lol people do ask me if im a fan, and im like man i just love the color, thats all lol

thanks though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragazn View Post
looks great, can't wait for the public release!!!!
4 - 6 weeks and it will be at the door
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #24
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Good looking core, almost looks like an HPF core. Looks really solid in your core with the M3 GTS orange.

Proofs gonna be in the pudding tho & how effectively the VRSF FMIC can reduce IATs compared to the competition (same w/ the Wagner)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #25
Motastic
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Good looking core, almost looks like an HPF core. Looks really solid in your core with the M3 GTS orange.

Proofs gonna be in the pudding tho & how effectively the VRSF FMIC can reduce IATs compared to the competition (same w/ the Wagner)
Thank you sir. You know it almost made me think for a second I had the HPF IC, so similar but some differences of course.

So I got the log from my AP that i attempted to get at 96 degree, I did pulls from 80 - 140 yesterday. Tell me if shows anything. I think I messed up. This is on the way to get it installed, with stock IC

EDIT: Wont let me upload XLS or CSV. Changed it to .txt, just rename the file to .csv and you can open it
Attached Files
File Type: txt datalog1.txt (35.0 KB, 95 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #26
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
^^ Can't see any attachments
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #27
Motastic
Major
United_States
Rep

updated
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #28
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by normano View Post
props to VRSF for avoiding over charging on the intercooler. i'd love for them to make a revision 2, that's closer in style to the Stett intercooler. i'd be on board with it then!
VRSF came out & said that they'd be releasing the 7" core first. All the things you mentioned plague anyone who's NOT tracking their car, which is really the only appropriate place for a 7" core.

For a street car that occasionally goes on the weekend warpath at a track day, a 5" core is ideal: it does the job with minimum pressure drops, maximum IAT reduction & with minimal trimming
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #29
AU335i
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i E92

OP, feel any laggyness with the bigger FMIC?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #30
Motastic
Major
United_States
Rep

Honestly I love it. I took it out for a joy ride to the gym and I will not lie, for the first time since i put the COBB on this is by far the best feeling I have gotten with the drive. Feel's alot faster (might be in the head, who knows) and pulls strong.

I just updated to 4.02 Stage 2 + FMIC maps and feels faster!!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #31
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335i, F30 328i, F82 M4

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Tiago@VRSF
Sorry about the packaging Mo, we wanted to get this out to you ASAP but our shipping materials were still a few days out so we had to make due. Thanks for taking the time to post these up!

We'll be running a group buy on these in the next few days or so and I'll have some pictures up as well as the specs when I get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #32
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Please don't start claiming this is a HPF copy. This fin pack is nothing like the HPF, if your HPF wasn't up to your standards don't assume this one is going to be worse. The only similarity between this and the HPF is the fact that we use a cast end tank which AMS, AA and a few other brands use.

We had literally every 7" intercooler made for the 335 in the shop when our engineer designed our intercooler and we took the best features from each one of them and slapped them on our custom fin pack.

Recommending a generic eBay intercooler is simply an ignorant statement simply because not every intercooler on eBay is the same. eBay isn't a brand and there are crap intercooler on eBay as well as decent ones. You're gambling when buying one off eBay simply because there's hundreds of different configurations in just the fin packs alone. Just because intercooler A works, doesn't mean you're going to get the same result with intercooler B from a different seller on eBay.

We did consider making a thinner/taller FMIC but most people simply don't want to have to do the amount of cutting to fit those intercoolers. You can see from Mo's pics that the amount of trimming from this intercooler is insignificant in comparison to the large amount of cutting necessary on the taller FMIC's such as the Stett, ER & BT. You also block airflow to the radiator when adding a taller core, not to mention the added install/labor costs involved in having to hack up the front end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normano View Post
nice update, mo.

i will say this: this intercooler is pretty damn close to an HPF intercooler. i don't like the HPF intercooler. it's design is great for flow purposes, but not so much IAT reduction. i had an HPF intercooler, then i decided to sell it and try out a big tom (ebay godspeed intercooler). i would recommend the ebay intercooler over the HPF intercooler. my datalogs showed lower IAT's, quicker IAT reduction after aggressive driving, and the overall design is better IMO.

the problem with HPF (and this copy of it) is that a 7" intercooler is too deep. the air flowing through the intercooler fins will heat up by the time it reaches the back section of the intercooler. so, although i don't have any technical data at the moment, it's pretty easy to comprehend. the front 3.5" of the intercooler is FAR more efficient at reducing IAT's than the back 3.5" of the intercooler, because of the design. the problem is that the back half is combined with the front half, so the air temps of the air mass leaving the intercooler are higher overall, when compared to a thinner, but taller (IE Stett, Big Tom ebay, or AA's original design).

props to VRSF for avoiding over charging on the intercooler. i'd love for them to make a revision 2, that's closer in style to the Stett intercooler. i'd be on board with it then!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #33
bboy8282
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i

Send a message via AIM to bboy8282
Very nice...cant wait for the 5" to come out...once it does ill prob get both the DPs and the FMIC together...hopefully ull have a bundle package available..hint hint...lol
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #34
FirstBMWLA
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Please don't start claiming this is a HPF copy. This fin pack is nothing like the HPF, if your HPF wasn't up to your standards don't assume this one is going to be worse. The only similarity between this and the HPF is the fact that we use a cast end tank which AMS, AA and a few other brands use.

We had literally every 7" intercooler made for the 335 in the shop when our engineer designed our intercooler and we took the best features from each one of them and slapped them on our custom fin pack.

Recommending a generic eBay intercooler is simply an ignorant statement simply because not every intercooler on eBay is the same. eBay isn't a brand and there are crap intercooler on eBay as well as decent ones. You're gambling when buying one off eBay simply because there's hundreds of different configurations in just the fin packs alone. Just because intercooler A works, doesn't mean you're going to get the same result with intercooler B from a different seller on eBay.

We did consider making a thinner/taller FMIC but most people simply don't want to have to do the amount of cutting to fit those intercoolers. You can see from Mo's pics that the amount of trimming from this intercooler is insignificant in comparison to the large amount of cutting necessary on the taller FMIC's such as the Stett, ER & BT. You also block airflow to the radiator when adding a taller core, not to mention the added install/labor costs involved in having to hack up the front end.
Don't worry Tiago. Sure the haters will come out as they did when you released the downpipes and the "AR Design copy" bs ensued.
Keep it up, some of us appreciate you delivering quality products at reasonable prices.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #35
Motastic
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry about the packaging Mo, we wanted to get this out to you ASAP but our shipping materials were still a few days out so we had to make due. Thanks for taking the time to post these up!

We'll be running a group buy on these in the next few days or so and I'll have some pictures up as well as the specs when I get a chance.

Tiago! No worries about the packaging bro, you already made me aware of that anyway. Plus who cares what the box and packaging looks like anyway, its all about the product inside

Now its time to get the log's, wish me luck im gonna go on a log hunting extravaganza tonight, i think the forum members need to pitch in for "mo logging his car gas fund" haha

again, looks amazing, performs well, feels well, install was amazing, and comes with everything necessary. The price will be amazing too

I have an install video, sort of tried recording, sucks but it shows how to atleast take the stock IC off, if someone one wants I cant post it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #36
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
VRSF came out & said that they'd be releasing the 7" core first. All the things you mentioned plague anyone who's NOT tracking their car, which is really the only appropriate place for a 7" core.

For a street car that occasionally goes on the weekend warpath at a track day, a 5" core is ideal: it does the job with minimum pressure drops, maximum IAT reduction & with minimal trimming
A 5" core isn't going to provide you with maximum IAT reduction, a 7" core will

We're releasing a 5" core in the next couple of months and I do believe a 5" core is exactly what some people need, but I also believe you shouldn't have to buy a product twice. There are plenty of people that will purchase a 5" core and then eventually upgrade to a 7" or a larger core simply because their goals will change. I've seen it on many platforms, especially young platforms such as the N54. We're just getting into turbo upgrades & big singles and in the next year or so, there will be quite a few more options available that will require better cooling.

The 7" is ideal for anyone running an upgraded turbo, such as RB upgraded twins or a big single. What I find is most people make the mistake of being too short sighted with their mods. While a 5" core is going to do a great job on the stock twins in the low-mid range, a 7" core is going to do a better job, especially when pushing the twins out of their efficiency range at higher boost pressures.

You do sacrifice a bit of pressure drop, but running a lower IAT is always going to be more beneficial in comparison to losing a few .x PSI. Running cooler temps allows for more timing advance and produces more power. Lower IAT's are also more knock resistant which results in a safer/more reliable motor. Running an smaller 5" might result in a little less pressure drop, but you're sacrificing cooling, power and knock resistance.

Most of the 5" intercoolers on the market are more than enough for the average consumer who's only looking for a few bolt ons to add power until their lease runs out, but for the guys looking to maximize their setups and make the most possible power, the 7" is the best way to go.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #37
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Octane View Post
Tiago,

Another awesome product as usual...

Thanks,
Before/after dyno's aren't really ideal with intercoolers simply because most of the power gained is from the tuning and the benefit of being able to run more aggressive timing with less knock.

We will be releasing IAT's of our kit vs stock though

Last edited by Tiago@VRSF; 07-17-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #38
rader1
Banned
Rep

Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Before/after dyno's aren't really ideal with intercoolers simply because most of the power gained is from the tuning and the benefit of being able to run more aggressive timing with less knock.

We will be releasing IAT's of our kit vs stock though
That's true, however if you were to do before and after dynos of a car through multiple gears(2-3-4-5) on a load based dyno then there would be gains to show simply due to reducing the heat soak. I've seen this done a couple times in person comparing FMICs on a different platform. Its not as ideal as a single gear comparo but it does work
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #39
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Testing on a dyno won't give you real world effects simply because you can't reproduce the same airflow short of being in a wind tunnel. The 2-3-4 gear pulls are a great way to test heat soak but they're more effectively done on the track.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #40
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

I hope u guys make one for the n55

Past: 2011 335i coupe
369 whp/444 torque. (Procede, Custom Turboback Exhaust, BMS Intake, ER FMIC)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #41
drfrink24
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Testing on a dyno won't give you real world effects simply because you can't reproduce the same airflow short of being in a wind tunnel. The 2-3-4 gear pulls are a great way to test heat soak but they're more effectively done on the track.
I agree, and the larger core size will appear more effective because of the heat sink effect without the proper airflow.

Before/after logs on the actual street will be helpful though.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #42
AU335i
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i E92

What do you have to say about Normano's claim that 7" intercoolers are counter-productive for street use?

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #43
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep

Drives: 3 Series

Not the prettiest weld. Any logs?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #44
ETS Michael
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i

Send a message via AIM to ETS Michael
Sub'd. =\

I personally thought it was an HPF intercooler, I was looking for the VRSF intercooler. The tabs are pretty much identical along with the end tanks.

Michael
Appreciate 0