E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth audio disconnects after USB usage

07-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
dwaynedelario

Drives: '11 328ia Sedan M-Sport

Bluetooth audio disconnects after USB usage

Hey All,

Just bought my first BMW! LeMans blue 2011 e90 (only 1800 miles!) with the M Sport and Sport packages. LOVE IT.

Anyway, for the last few days I have been playing music from my iPhone 4S wirelessly via bluetooth and it has been great (other than the fact that it automatically starts playing after a phone call). Today, in order to charge my phone, I plugged it into the USB port in the center console and I got a warning that bluetooth audio would be disconnected. Ok fine... but later on when I wanted to "reconnect," I had to go digging way into the phone settings and tell the car that it was ok to use the phone as an audio device, then select it in the External devices menu.

Is there any way around this nuisance?

Thanks for any advice!!!!
      07-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General

Drives: 2015 320i

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Normal functionality, as in BMW needs to release a software update to fix this bad UI.

One thing is to disable BT Audio in the phone when USB is connected, another is to de-select a phone setting in the iDrive after the fact.
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
      07-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
dwaynedelario

Drives: '11 328ia Sedan M-Sport

Thanks Technic. To disable BT audio on the iPhone before connecting, how do I do that? Do you mean turn off bluetooth functionality altogether (phone and audio?). Or is there some way to do that in the settings on the iPhone itself before it connects? Perhaps hitting that blue symbol in iTunes before connecting USB.

Do you happen to know why I might be getting distortion when playing over USB connection only? I see the ability to change the gain staging for the aux port in the options, but I thought USB only would be decoded by the stereo itself.

Thanks again.
      07-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch

Drives: 2011 335D

To save your self some headaches, you might want to get one of these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 They have a 2 usb model as well from griffin: http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Powerj...uct/B0042B9U8Q. I have the griffin one and it works great for charging my phone while having another port open for a passenger.