E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Tapping into reverse lamp wire in the front?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
NiVeDh
Major General
 
NiVeDh's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i 6MT BSM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston, TX & Atlanta, GA

Posts: 7,987
iTrader: (132)

Garage List
Question Tapping into reverse lamp wire in the front?

Anyone know if I can tap into the reverse lamp wire in the fuse box, by the shifter, or elsewhere in the front of the car? The car is a 6MT.

I need to tap into that wire as I'm setting up a wireless rear view camera and the iDrive interface I'm using uses a trigger wire that switches the source to the camera when the car is in reverse.

I'd hate to run a wire all the way from the center stack area to the rear of the car.

Any experts on this?
NiVeDh is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
Broendbjerg
New Member
 
Drives: BMW E91 320d Touring
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Denmark

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

That should be easyly connected at the FRM in the left side of the driver side footwell:

According to WDS it would be Pin 47 on X14261 or Pin 9 on X14260 (either left side or right side reverse lamp. X14260 and X14261 are the two large connectors on the same side of the FRM module.

See this:
http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/svg...57.svg?m=e8790

Hope it works out for you!

/Broendbjerg
Broendbjerg is offline   Denmark
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
NiVeDh
Major General
 
NiVeDh's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i 6MT BSM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston, TX & Atlanta, GA

Posts: 7,987
iTrader: (132)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broendbjerg View Post
That should be easyly connected at the FRM in the left side of the driver side footwell:

According to WDS it would be Pin 47 on X14261 or Pin 9 on X14260 (either left side or right side reverse lamp. X14260 and X14261 are the two large connectors on the same side of the FRM module.

See this:
http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/svg...57.svg?m=e8790

Hope it works out for you!

/Broendbjerg
Thanks for that! I will try that out and also see if I can find it somewhere closer to the shifter without having to go to the FRM.
NiVeDh is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
phozenstone
Brigadier General
 
phozenstone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 Montego Blue
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY

Posts: 4,794
iTrader: (70)

you shouldn't need to run any wires to the back of the car since you're using the wireless transmitter. The wireless transmitter has two functions (a receiver and a transmitter) and you should be able to just follow these procedures:

From the Trunk
1) Wire the black wire from the camera to any ground
2) Wire the red wire from the camera to the wireless transmitter (sender side)
3) Wire the wireless transmitter (sender side) power wire to the reverse lights

From the Cabin
1) Wire the red wire from the wireless transmitter (receiver side) to the fuse box
2) Wire the black wire from the wireless transmitter (receiver side) to any ground
3) Plug in the yellow RCA cable from the wireless transmitter (receiver side) to your iDrive interface input
__________________
E92 Xdrive / Montego Blue / M3 Black Novillo Leather / OEM 351M 19" Wheels / Mtech Rear w/ IS Diffuser / Aero Lip / LCI Tailights / M3 Steering Wheel w/Paddles / 40% Huper Optik / Lux V3 / 4300K HID Fogs / Dynavin D99 / 3 Stage Intake Manifold / Magnaflow Dual Exhaust Conversion 4" Tips / K&N Filter w/ charcoal delete / Active Autowerke Stage 2 Tune / KW V1 Coilovers / BMW Performance Strut Bar
phozenstone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
NiVeDh
Major General
 
NiVeDh's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i 6MT BSM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston, TX & Atlanta, GA

Posts: 7,987
iTrader: (132)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone View Post
you shouldn't need to run any wires to the back of the car since you're using the wireless transmitter. The wireless transmitter has two functions (a receiver and a transmitter) and you should be able to just follow these procedures:

From the Trunk
1) Wire the black wire from the camera to any ground
2) Wire the red wire from the camera to the wireless transmitter (sender side)
3) Wire the wireless transmitter (sender side) power wire to the reverse lights

From the Cabin
1) Wire the red wire from the wireless transmitter (receiver side) to the fuse box
2) Wire the black wire from the wireless transmitter (receiver side) to any ground
3) Plug in the yellow RCA cable from the wireless transmitter (receiver side) to your iDrive interface input

That all makes sense, thanks. The iDrive interface I have, however, uses a 12V trigger wire that switches the input when it detects that the car is in reverse. Otherwise, it won't switch automatically.
NiVeDh is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
NiVeDh
Major General
 
NiVeDh's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i 6MT BSM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston, TX & Atlanta, GA

Posts: 7,987
iTrader: (132)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broendbjerg View Post
That should be easyly connected at the FRM in the left side of the driver side footwell:

According to WDS it would be Pin 47 on X14261 or Pin 9 on X14260 (either left side or right side reverse lamp. X14260 and X14261 are the two large connectors on the same side of the FRM module.

See this:
http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/svg...57.svg?m=e8790

Hope it works out for you!

/Broendbjerg
This worked, thanks a lot! I used pin 47 on X14261 (the top one) as it was marginally easier to access. It was a purple wire. However, the voltage is not quite 12V so I might have to use a relay and get it from something else (such as OBD pin 1).
NiVeDh is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
Broendbjerg
New Member
 
Drives: BMW E91 320d Touring
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Denmark

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
This worked, thanks a lot! I used pin 47 on X14261 (the top one) as it was marginally easier to access. It was a purple wire. However, the voltage is not quite 12V so I might have to use a relay and get it from something else (such as OBD pin 1).
I'm glad it worked out well for you!
Broendbjerg is offline   Denmark
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #8
JS330E46
New Member
 
Drives: 330ci
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

what rar view camera module do you have, looking to do this to my dads e92?
JS330E46 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #9
NiVeDh
Major General
 
NiVeDh's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i 6MT BSM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston, TX & Atlanta, GA

Posts: 7,987
iTrader: (132)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS330E46 View Post
what rar view camera module do you have, looking to do this to my dads e92?
This one: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703660
NiVeDh is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST