E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Trackday in a touring.?

07-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
jamier27
Private

Drives: Jb4 135i

Trackday in a touring.?

Hi,

I am wondering how much fun it would be to do a trackday in my e91...

It seems a strange thing to want to do in a diesel estate but would love to know how it fairs up.

The m sport suspention seems ok and has plenty of grunt (350+bhp) just wondering if many owners on hear had done trckdays in there diesels??
      07-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

I can't think of any reasons why not! Do it!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
      07-20-2012, 02:41 AM   #3
ant1985
Private First Class

Drives: Bmw E46 M3 / Bmw E30 318i cab

a mate did it in his e46 330 touring, it didnt have any issues but then it was uprated suspension etc.

go for it pal and enjoy it !
      07-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #4
shrink
Captain

Drives: E90 325i SE

apart from toasting your brakes, shredding your tyres, taking 10 years off your clutch and potentially giving you a good way to crash your car, I can think of no reason not to do a track day with your daily driver lol.

Seriously, why would anyone want to track their main car. It wont do anything to help it stay in good working order long term.

I'd rather buy an old E36/E46 sport for a grand or so, put some slicks on it, lower it, and then just drive the hell out of it.
shrink is offline   United Kingdom
      07-20-2012, 03:58 AM   #5
edowen
Major

Drives: E90 320d Ed, 640d M, 5.0 TVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrink View Post
apart from toasting your brakes, shredding your tyres, taking 10 years off your clutch and potentially giving you a good way to crash your car, I can think of no reason not to do a track day with your daily driver lol.

Seriously, why would anyone want to track their main car. It wont do anything to help it stay in good working order long term.

I'd rather buy an old E36/E46 sport for a grand or so, put some slicks on it, lower it, and then just drive the hell out of it.
Absolute tosh.

1. His 335d is an auto
2. You can have plenty of fun on a track day without driving like a loon and driving at 11/10ths.

I've done plenty of track days in "main" cars, and yes you might take a mm off the tyres, but there is no need to shag the brakes or the clutch if you have any skill or mechanical ability at all.
      07-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
I did a few track days when I first got my 335d an it faired very well.

I passed Aston Vantages, M3's and caught a CSL's pretty easily.

The diesel is fine. It is a fast car,
      07-20-2012, 04:21 AM   #7
shrink
Captain

Drives: E90 325i SE

I'm sorry I absolutely cannot agree. Track situations by their very nature cause you to brake more heavilly and more often than road driving. Standard road brakes are not designed for track driving and will fade quickly.

last year I spent a day driving Jaguars current lineup of supercharged cars around a track in scotland along with a series of other drivers, and by the end of the day, most of the cars brakes were absolutely stuffed.

Mechanical skill and sympathy with your car, wont save your tyres and brakes on a track day. Not if you're doing anything but driving it like you were on the A702. It's a track, you want to be exploring both your and the cars limits.

I'd never attempt that in my every day car and I have quite a lot of experience driving on track.
shrink is offline   United Kingdom
      07-20-2012, 04:38 AM   #8
doughboy
Major General

Drives: E91 335i Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamier27 View Post
Hi,

I am wondering how much fun it would be to do a trackday in my e91...

It seems a strange thing to want to do in a diesel estate but would love to know how it fairs up.
Not a derv burner, but I've done several track days in my 335i tourer.

Nice to show some older M3's a clean pair of heels (and a tailgate). Maybe take the dog too? with its head stuck out the window

But the M sport suspension will feel like mush on a track, and the brakes will fade in one lap unless you just take it more steady.

You just have to adjust the driving to suit the car and not try to keep up with more track focused cars. It a great way to use the performace the car can provide without getting nicked! They are very safe, a track is SOOO wide and smooth an grippy compared to a road, oh and there's nothing coming the other way, or t junctions, or traffic lights or kids running around. Its a 1,000,000 times safer than public road. Stay off the curbs BTW.

You don't have to drive any more agressively on the clutch or engine than you would do on a on a clear road. Brakes need looking after though, just back off when they fade a bit, and of course your tyres will wear a little.

Just remember to do your warm up and cool down laps and all will be well. You're not racing, so it's not about lap times and flat out thrashing thru gears at maximum attack, its about enjoying your car at a speed it is quite capable of but which is not safe on the public road.

I go on the BMW car club track days, which are a) cheap b) quiet and c) where most people are in their daily drivers or cherished E30 M3s or CSLs, so the whole pace is more suited to road cars. There's a regular guy in a white 535d estate.

Pic of mine at Oulton Park:
Attached Images

Last edited by doughboy; 07-20-2012 at 05:28 AM.
doughboy is offline   United Kingdom
      07-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #9
magic77
Colonel

Drives: 335i

Have to agree if you go and are sensible you can have plenty of fun and not destroy your car. Have taken mine two few and around the ring no problem. Got it booked for the August Brunthorpe session as well. Simple things and checks before hand will help such as go and get yoru brake fuild changed few days before will make big diference
      07-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #10
SCN_Saul
http://www.seatcupra.net

Drives: E91 335i M Sport

Send a message via MSN to SCN_Saul
aslong as you go in eyes wide open and expect to use the consumables (tyres, pads/discs and brake fluid) and dont try and drive within your limits you will be fine
SCN_Saul is offline   United Kingdom
      07-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
jamier27
Private

Drives: Jb4 135i

Thanks for the replies.

I dont think anyone has been to a trackday and not expected to wear down tyres and brakes quickly.. they are after all consumables so all your doing is speeding up the lifetime, surely not destroying them ?! well suppose you could if over doing it and pretending to be a pro race driver then you will also end up binning the car too.

Anyone got any links to the bmw trackdays?? i am new to the whole bmw forums etc
      07-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
ant1985
Private First Class

Drives: Bmw E46 M3 / Bmw E30 318i cab

check out club msv

bmw car club so some stuff with them, i did cadwell park and going on my 3rd nurburgring trip in 4 weeks
      07-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
BIFCAIDS
Bird Flu and Cat Aids combined

Drives: 325d M-Sport in Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrink

BITCH PLEASE
BIFCAIDS is offline   England