E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > foot well air vent operation issue

07-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
sattye
Registered

Drives: 325d M Sport

foot well air vent operation issue

Hi all,

I have recently joined the group of BMW owners. And have a query, I have recently bought a BMW 325D M Sport. The engine performance and the car handling is perfect!!. Though i have one issue or doubt regarding the working or operation of the foot well air vent. That is when the air conditioning is set to manual and the * is on and left to 18 degress C, and the air flow is enabled in face vent also in foot vent. The air after few minutes becomes dry and almost no coolness in the air that comes from the foot well vent, but it is damn cold from the face vents or dash vents. Not sure why it has to be like that in the foot well air vent. Am guessing when the AC is set to manual mode(not auto), which ever the vent we select it should blow with respective degree of coldness evenly accross all vents ? Do anybody have better understanding of this experiment ?

Thanks,
sattye
      07-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Surly73
Captain

Drives: 2007 E90 328i 6MT sport/prem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattye View Post
Hi all,

I have recently joined the group of BMW owners. And have a query, I have recently bought a BMW 325D M Sport. The engine performance and the car handling is perfect!!. Though i have one issue or doubt regarding the working or operation of the foot well air vent. That is when the air conditioning is set to manual and the * is on and left to 18 degress C, and the air flow is enabled in face vent also in foot vent. The air after few minutes becomes dry and almost no coolness in the air that comes from the foot well vent, but it is damn cold from the face vents or dash vents. Not sure why it has to be like that in the foot well air vent. Am guessing when the AC is set to manual mode(not auto), which ever the vent we select it should blow with respective degree of coldness evenly accross all vents ? Do anybody have better understanding of this experiment ?

Thanks,
sattye
Is your blending wheel in the middle of the dash (with the blue and red dot) set all the way to the blue dot or close to it?

If so, that's likely your cause. If you set it for 18C, but then set the blending wheels to blue dot, the system has nowhere to add heat to keep the temperature from going below 18C. It'll start to blast heat out of the floor vents since it is not permitted to use the face vents with a blending setting all the way at blue dot.

Repeat your experiments with both front and rear blending dials set right in the middle, AUTO and * and see what happens.

If your concern is the floor air flow (as opposed to the temperature of that air) then you can test it using the manual functions. Turn off *, turn off recirc, turn up the fan above half way and use the left-hand buttons to test defrost, face vent, and floor vent settings in turn.

If your blending wheels aren't at full blue dot, a closer look may be required.
Surly73 is offline   Canada
      07-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
sattye
Registered

Drives: 325d M Sport

Hi, Thanks,
sorry for the late followup. I took the car to the BMW dealer and checked with few other same old cars, every other car works the same way. So it happens that to maintain the cold air or cool air coming from the face vents, the foot well air vent keeps pumping in the warm or dry air to maintain the temperature set. So everything is normal
      07-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Surly73
Captain

Drives: 2007 E90 328i 6MT sport/prem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattye View Post
Hi, Thanks,
sorry for the late followup. I took the car to the BMW dealer and checked with few other same old cars, every other car works the same way. So it happens that to maintain the cold air or cool air coming from the face vents, the foot well air vent keeps pumping in the warm or dry air to maintain the temperature set. So everything is normal
It will do it less if you set the blending wheels near the middle instead of towards blue but the face vent air will be somewhat cooler (but still dry and "air conditioned")
Surly73 is offline   Canada