E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > JB4 - SES Light on / Codes - Any help IDing the codes?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
f3d
Private
 
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC

Posts: 56
iTrader: (1)

Question JB4 - SES Light on / Codes - Any help IDing the codes?

Hi guys,

Was recently going up to a friends house and had the SES light come on. It was at night and the lights really fkn annoying so I used the JB4 to clear all the codes to kill the SES light.

Later I shut off auto clear and left it light that for a while. No light/no codes....

This past weekend, BAM, fkn light comes back on. I was cruising with little load on he motor at 70mph on the highway in map 2 on 93 octane.


These are the codes I found (the top two I've seen before without any dash lights, but the third seems to be what tripped the SES light):

- 28A0 No Description Found
- 2C90 No Description Found
- 2774 No Description Found

I did a search for that code and I saw Mike attribute it to something the ECU will regularly throw with the JB4 tune. I'm sorry but I'm not buying that or the ECU magically dropped the code that actually threw the SES light somehow (the light was off the next day).

I searched for some kind of index of fault codes the ECU will report but couldn't find anything on the site. Sorry if it's out there. Pls link me to it?
f3d is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
torqnDC
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 335i E92
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arlington, VA

Posts: 100
iTrader: (0)

Link to the Code list
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...64&postcount=1

The top 2 are "normal tuner codes".

Quote:
Originally Posted by f3d View Post
Hi guys,

Was recently going up to a friends house and had the SES light come on. It was at night and the lights really fkn annoying so I used the JB4 to clear all the codes to kill the SES light.

Later I shut off auto clear and left it light that for a while. No light/no codes....

This past weekend, BAM, fkn light comes back on. I was cruising with little load on he motor at 70mph on the highway in map 2 on 93 octane.


These are the codes I found (the top two I've seen before without any dash lights, but the third seems to be what tripped the SES light):

- 28A0 No Description Found
- 2C90 No Description Found
- 2774 No Description Found

I did a search for that code and I saw Mike attribute it to something the ECU will regularly throw with the JB4 tune. I'm sorry but I'm not buying that or the ECU magically dropped the code that actually threw the SES light somehow (the light was off the next day).

I searched for some kind of index of fault codes the ECU will report but couldn't find anything on the site. Sorry if it's out there. Pls link me to it?
torqnDC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
f3d
Private
 
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC

Posts: 56
iTrader: (1)

Thanks!
f3d is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Sam335ix
Major
 
Sam335ix's Avatar
 
Drives: 335 ix performance edition
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Redskin Country

Posts: 1,276
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by f3d View Post
Thanks!
Did you unplug the battery when you installed the jb4?
__________________
2011 e90 KW V1, JB4, BMS Dp, BMS Intake, CP, Alpina Flash, ISO, E85

Coming soon to the garage: 2014 M3 Maybe M5
Sam335ix is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

Posts: 14,505
iTrader: (86)

Quote:
Originally Posted by f3d View Post
Hi guys,

Was recently going up to a friends house and had the SES light come on. It was at night and the lights really fkn annoying so I used the JB4 to clear all the codes to kill the SES light.

Later I shut off auto clear and left it light that for a while. No light/no codes....

This past weekend, BAM, fkn light comes back on. I was cruising with little load on he motor at 70mph on the highway in map 2 on 93 octane.


These are the codes I found (the top two I've seen before without any dash lights, but the third seems to be what tripped the SES light):

- 28A0 No Description Found
- 2C90 No Description Found
- 2774 No Description Found

I did a search for that code and I saw Mike attribute it to something the ECU will regularly throw with the JB4 tune. I'm sorry but I'm not buying that or the ECU magically dropped the code that actually threw the SES light somehow (the light was off the next day).

I searched for some kind of index of fault codes the ECU will report but couldn't find anything on the site. Sorry if it's out there. Pls link me to it?
All three are tuner codes. If you leave auto clear off, expect to eventually see an SES light and have those three codes stored. If the light came up with auto clear on then likely the firmware is out of date. But if you need any additional assistance just email BMS.

Mike
Mike@N54Tuning.com is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
f3d
Private
 
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC

Posts: 56
iTrader: (1)

Mike, reading the code descriptions in the above linked list, isn't the last code (2774) indicative of a boost leak or sticking DV? or is it the opposite? Saying the ECU is freaking out because the MAF is counting more air than the ECU expects?
f3d is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
f3d
Private
 
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC

Posts: 56
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam335ix View Post
Did you unplug the battery when you installed the jb4?
I did. The JB4's been on the car for about 7-8 months now, but just recently starting throwing the SES light.
f3d is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

Posts: 14,505
iTrader: (86)

Quote:
Originally Posted by f3d View Post
Mike, reading the code descriptions in the above linked list, isn't the last code (2774) indicative of a boost leak or sticking DV? or is it the opposite? Saying the ECU is freaking out because the MAF is counting more air than the ECU expects?
2774 just means the DME is registering more mass-airflow from the MAF sensor than the DME expects to see based on its MAP readings. Both signals are fooled by the JB4 but if the MAF sensor isn't fooled enough like in low throttle situations where lagfix is used you'll trigger the 2774 code. Some cars trigger it and others don't. And there are settings the govern that which are changed from firmware to firmware. As a first step I'd update to the 3/7 firmware posted, turn on auto clear, and see if the new settings handle it. If you still get a SES light with 2774 just email BMS for addl help.

Mike
Mike@N54Tuning.com is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
divisionbell77
Lieutenant
 
divisionbell77's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ohio

Posts: 442
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
All three are tuner codes. If you leave auto clear off, expect to eventually see an SES light and have those three codes stored. If the light came up with auto clear on then likely the firmware is out of date. But if you need any additional assistance just email BMS.

Mike
Thanks! I just popped the 28a0 code on the way home and was kinda freaking out thinking 'f'ing HPFP....'
divisionbell77 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST