E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Full Review -- Supreme Power -- Lowering Perches ----------



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-28-2012, 03:17 AM   #45
phozenstone
Brigadier General
phozenstone's Avatar
87
Rep
4,933
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 Montego Blue
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (71)

I hear for it to fit on Xi we just need the "I" top hats. Can you confirm? If so you should sell as a package for Xi applications
__________________
E92 Xdrive / Montego Blue / M3 Black Novillo Leather / OEM 351M 19" Wheels / Mtech Rear w/ IS Diffuser / Aero Lip / LCI Tailights / M3 Steering Wheel w/Paddles / 40% Huper Optik / Lux V3 / 4300K HID Fogs / Dynavin N6 / 3 Stage Intake Manifold / Magnaflow Dual Exhaust Conversion 4" Tips / K&N Filter w/ charcoal delete / Active Autowerke Stage 2 Tune / KW V1 Coilovers / BMW Performance Strut Bar
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #46
08msportx3
Second Lieutenant
08msportx3's Avatar
4
Rep
258
Posts

 
Drives: 08 x3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: stl

iTrader: (0)

This is correct as I have done the I tophats on my 09 Lci xdrive and it works perfect. IT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #47
neilvosko
Major
neilvosko's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,429
Posts

 
Drives: 335i e92 FBO
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: miami

iTrader: (16)

wow, i am still having issues. poping and clunking and then car pulls to the side i turned AFTER i straighten the wheel. everything looks tight and intact. WTF? please help.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #48
platnumdesi01
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
357
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lorton, Virginia

iTrader: (2)

I had mine installed by a professional and we re-used the rubber part as he was worried about noise etc. Regardless the car is lower and I love it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #49
08msportx3
Second Lieutenant
08msportx3's Avatar
4
Rep
258
Posts

 
Drives: 08 x3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: stl

iTrader: (0)

check the washer at bottom of bearing if thats installed wrong way it will cause these issues you speak of . good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #50
neilvosko
Major
neilvosko's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,429
Posts

 
Drives: 335i e92 FBO
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: miami

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08msportx3
check the washer at bottom of bearing if thats installed wrong way it will cause these issues you speak of . good luck
Can you please expand?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 10:50 PM   #51
neilvosko
Major
neilvosko's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,429
Posts

 
Drives: 335i e92 FBO
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: miami

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08msportx3
check the washer at bottom of bearing if thats installed wrong way it will cause these issues you speak of . good luck
I don't get the washer notes. Is it any different from stock? Does it have to be flipped?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #52
phozenstone
Brigadier General
phozenstone's Avatar
87
Rep
4,933
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 Montego Blue
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (71)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08msportx3 View Post
This is correct as I have done the I tophats on my 09 Lci xdrive and it works perfect. IT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED
Do you have pics?
__________________
E92 Xdrive / Montego Blue / M3 Black Novillo Leather / OEM 351M 19" Wheels / Mtech Rear w/ IS Diffuser / Aero Lip / LCI Tailights / M3 Steering Wheel w/Paddles / 40% Huper Optik / Lux V3 / 4300K HID Fogs / Dynavin N6 / 3 Stage Intake Manifold / Magnaflow Dual Exhaust Conversion 4" Tips / K&N Filter w/ charcoal delete / Active Autowerke Stage 2 Tune / KW V1 Coilovers / BMW Performance Strut Bar
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #53
supremepower
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
supremepower's Avatar
United_States
105
Rep
2,136
Posts


 
Drives: 991 Carrera S, M6, Noble M12
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: so cal

iTrader: (12)

Send a message via AIM to supremepower Send a message via MSN to supremepower Send a message via Yahoo to supremepower
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvosko View Post
I am having same issues as APj with BMW perf suspension with steering wheel binding to one side only in parking lots and then self correcting. I had the install shop look at installation twice. Is there any pics I can send you to verify?
Yes send me pics to eric@supremepower.com

Im wondering now if the bottom of the shock is all the way into the spindle. I have seen a customer who came in with the shock not all the way into the spindle and it caused the car to do some crazy things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone View Post
I hear for it to fit on Xi we just need the "I" top hats. Can you confirm? If so you should sell as a package for Xi applications
Yes this is now confirmed. XI models can order the lowering hats and the upper hats from us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08msportx3 View Post
This is correct as I have done the I tophats on my 09 Lci xdrive and it works perfect. IT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED
Yes finally! Thank you 08msportx3!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvosko View Post
wow, i am still having issues. poping and clunking and then car pulls to the side i turned AFTER i straighten the wheel. everything looks tight and intact. WTF? please help.
Need pics to help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by platnumdesi01 View Post
I had mine installed by a professional and we re-used the rubber part as he was worried about noise etc. Regardless the car is lower and I love it.
The rubber is not needed. Only effect is it would not lower it all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08msportx3 View Post
check the washer at bottom of bearing if thats installed wrong way it will cause these issues you speak of . good luck
#8 in the photo below needs the flat part of the washer to be lower than the domed portion which the bearing from the top hat sits on.



Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvosko View Post
I don't get the washer notes. Is it any different from stock? Does it have to be flipped?
See above

Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone View Post
Do you have pics?
Need pics of the install.....
__________________
SupremePOWER
1025-B Ortega Way - Placentia CA 92870
714 632 1951 x225
eric@supremepower.com
Eric Nareshni
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #54
flinchy
Colonel
39
Rep
2,865
Posts

 
Drives: 130i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: QLD, Australia

iTrader: (0)

uhhh... compresssed springs and OEM ride quality? impossible.

ED: i should also note, compressing springs, much like adding lowered springs, will reduce the life of the strut, not only compromise ride quality and safety... do this at your own risk .
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #55
SpeedCC
Enlisted Member
United_States
0
Rep
35
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Burlington,VT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
uhhh... compresssed springs and OEM ride quality? impossible.

ED: i should also note, compressing springs, much like adding lowered springs, will reduce the life of the strut, not only compromise ride quality and safety... do this at your own risk .
These perches actually lengthen the static distance from Bottom Spring Perch (fixed on strut) to Top Spring Perch (Supreme Power) so the spring is not as compressed upon top hat assembly as it was with stock top hat.

Thus, the car now sees an initially lighter spring (same spring but not as compressed as stock assembly) with the strut sitting further into its stroke (hence the approximate 0.5 inch lowering), and in my case has further increases bump stop activity. Outcome will vary based on existing strut/spring that is used and their related baseline performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #56
Nonecure
Second Lieutenant
Nonecure's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
248
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335xi E90 LCI
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dayton, Ohio

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremepower View Post
Yes send me pics to eric@supremepower.com

The rubber is not needed. Only effect is it would not lower it all the way.
You have provided a lot of good feedback and I plan on buying from you.

I disagree with your statement that the rubber is not needed. The thickness of the rubber will have minimum effect on the ride height, but it provides movement without squeaks and pops. I'm not a mechanic, but as an engineer I understand the function.

Every car I have worked on has rubber between the spring and the perch. Car makers do not add unnecessary parts on their cars unless it is needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #57
supremepower
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
supremepower's Avatar
United_States
105
Rep
2,136
Posts


 
Drives: 991 Carrera S, M6, Noble M12
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: so cal

iTrader: (12)

Send a message via AIM to supremepower Send a message via MSN to supremepower Send a message via Yahoo to supremepower
The rubber is not needed. The perches have a spring built into them and once there is load on the perch from the weight of the car being applied on the entire suspension there is no movement.

This never was about the thickness of the rubber having an effect on ride height. It was more how the rubber fit on the new perch and the fact that its not needed.

If properly installed there are no squeeks or pops at all.

If you would like to install the rubber perch you can. We just dont recommend it.
__________________
SupremePOWER
1025-B Ortega Way - Placentia CA 92870
714 632 1951 x225
eric@supremepower.com
Eric Nareshni
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #58
itrocks4u
Captain
20
Rep
886
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 328i xdrive
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Nice review! Very interested.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #59
elcheapoloco
douchebaggo
7
Rep
560
Posts

 
Drives: stick
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremepower View Post
The rubber is not needed.
I've heard that before. You should see my child support payment...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #60
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
mlifxs's Avatar
24
Rep
1,791
Posts

 
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedCC View Post
These perches actually lengthen the static distance from Bottom Spring Perch (fixed on strut) to Top Spring Perch (Supreme Power) so the spring is not as compressed upon top hat assembly as it was with stock top hat.

Thus, the car now sees an initially lighter spring (same spring but not as compressed as stock assembly) with the strut sitting further into its stroke (hence the approximate 0.5 inch lowering), and in my case has further increases bump stop activity. Outcome will vary based on existing strut/spring that is used and their related baseline performance.
if 'the strut is sitting further into its stroke', does that mean I'll wear out my struts faster with the perches then without?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #61
The Ghost
Reborn
The Ghost's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,107
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonecure View Post
I disagree with your statement that the rubber is not needed. The thickness of the rubber will have minimum effect on the ride height, but it provides movement without squeaks and pops. I'm not a mechanic, but as an engineer I understand the function.

Every car I have worked on has rubber between the spring and the perch. Car makers do not add unnecessary parts on their cars unless it is needed.
It isn't needed. Mine has zero squeaks or rattles and I left the rubber out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcheapoloco View Post
I've heard that before. You should see my child support payment...
you and me both!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #62
cdgatti
Lieutenant Colonel
cdgatti's Avatar
20
Rep
1,550
Posts

 
Drives: e90 328i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: KY

iTrader: (4)

I plan on using these with my stock non-sport springs and bilstein hd dampers. Idea is that the perches will make up for the increase in ride height that the bilsteins can cause. I would think this minor lowering will be no problem for a robust damper like the bilstein hd.

Also thinking about plasti-dipping the top coil to prevent noise from metal-metal contact but retain good fit of spring on perch.

Does anyone think this is a bad idea and why? Thanks.

Last edited by cdgatti; 10-28-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #63
avocet
Lieutenant
6
Rep
565
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver bc

iTrader: (0)

My sp perches have zero noise.

And no rise with bilstein hd's on sport springs.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #64
cdgatti
Lieutenant Colonel
cdgatti's Avatar
20
Rep
1,550
Posts

 
Drives: e90 328i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: KY

iTrader: (4)

That's helpful Avocet, thanks. I assume you also left out the rubber piece from the perch?

What springs are your running D4 and D3? How did the ride quality and handling change?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #65
ibd12nv
Chief Warrant Officer 4
ibd12nv's Avatar
6
Rep
661
Posts

 
Drives: 335I, X5 4.8i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Back in the US

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [5.00]
Looks good.
__________________
http://rapidshare.com/files/36182957/335i_sig2.jpg
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 12:15 AM   #66
avocet
Lieutenant
6
Rep
565
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver bc

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
That's helpful Avocet, thanks. I assume you also left out the rubber piece from the perch?

What springs are your running D4 and D3? How did the ride quality and handling change?
I never checked what spring rates I had... Std 328i e90 sport springs fwiw.
And no rubber pads on perches.
I have found the ride to be a fair bit firmer, but with less crashing and it is much more controlled. There is alot more road feedback and 'noise', but I did m3 front arms and rear sub bushings and sways at the same time.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
drop, lower, lowering perches, springs, supreme power

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST