E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Pressure converters confusion?

07-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
mistryn
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: BMW 335D

Pressure converters confusion?

Some you may get tired of me banging on about these from previous threads (I do apologise)

I have been reading this thread in thinking that the pressure converters have a small box filter which can be cleaned.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600155
I presumed the little box highlighted can come off, soak the filter in carb cleaner, dry and replace.

I thought I would give this a try yesterday on mine, I got as far as removing the pressure converters(but did not remove them) but could not find the filter box
the pressure converter that I have on my car appears to look like this rather than above?
I have had a look on realoem for the part number and it matches the one below.

Does that mean I have the upgraded pc's? or are they different on the 335D in that they dont have little filters?

Last edited by mistryn; 07-28-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
daveleach
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335d

How long did they take you to remove
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
mistryn
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: BMW 335D

I didnt actually get round to removing the PC, I removed the engine cover, scuttle panel, unbolted the vacuum black tank and the 2 pc's that I could see were held on with bolts onto the bracket. I presume unbolting this would mean the pc would come off.

As soon as I could not see the filter I decided to stop as not much point taking it off because the vac lines that go onto these were on strong. To remove them would mean splicing them around the edge to remove. i just wanted to see if the filter could be removed and cleaned but not in my case

It took me about 30 mins to get up to the stage of access to the pc

edit - sorry I should have worded it better above as to mean I got to the stage where I could unbolt and remove the pc but I didnt) Also the pic of new pc is not one I have bought just taken off the net
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
335DEE
Captain

The 2 turbo ones do not have filters on them , the one on the other side of the engine does.( The EGR pressure controller)

I have the item here and it does have a filter on it .

I Stripped the top part of the engine off ,scuttle tray strut brace , cover etc but for the life of me could not locate this controller anywhere.
Being the EGR pressure controller the pipe that goes from the EGR should lead to this device, well i tried to look for about an hour . the vac pipe is marked with a blue line ( there are other vac pipes marked red and yellow too !!) but I could not find where the b****y hell this controller is. I got so far and had to give up

If anyone knows where this controller is please can you share the info , according to realoem it's just underneath the manifold but then again so is half the flaming car !

Anyway , did some digging around and came up with this .. nice little document on the controllers and how to test them etc. https://onlineshop.ms-motor-service....065_en_web.pdf
335DEE is offline   England
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
335DEE
Captain

Oh and to top it off I had a 4 hour journey today with both turbos inoperative due to the MAP sensor popping out of its hole and splitting the grommet.

I tried to bodge it back in and stuff some cloth over the top of the sensor and under the back cover to hold it in place for the return journey. It did bring back the big turbo but the small one was completely non functioning

I'll be ordering a new sensor and grommet for delivery Monday and pray it fixes it as now i'm worried I have disturbed something when i tried to locate this EGR pressure controller
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:43 AM   #6
Martin80k
Private First Class

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0timbo0o View Post
Oh and to top it off I had a 4 hour journey today with both turbos inoperative due to the MAP sensor popping out of its hole and splitting the grommet.

I tried to bodge it back in and stuff some cloth over the top of the sensor and under the back cover to hold it in place for the return journey. It did bring back the big turbo but the small one was completely non functioning

I'll be ordering a new sensor and grommet for delivery Monday and pray it fixes it as now i'm worried I have disturbed something when i tried to locate this EGR pressure controller

omg. what have I bought. this car seems to be the nightmare......honestly, bmw should anticipate all these faults and be ready to analyze, repair, and offer quick solutions to its customers, coz I don't understand how can they go with it with this kind of reliability....this is despicable. they are interested to sell the car and that's it....this is really sad that automaker of such a name allow to happen these things, since more testing would for sure show it and they could design it for better durability....I will go back to jaguar i guess
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
335DEE
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin80k View Post
omg. what have I bought. this car seems to be the nightmare......honestly, bmw should anticipate all these faults and be ready to analyze, repair, and offer quick solutions to its customers, coz I don't understand how can they go with it with this kind of reliability....this is despicable. they are interested to sell the car and that's it....this is really sad that automaker of such a name allow to happen these things, since more testing would for sure show it and they could design it for better durability....I will go back to jaguar i guess

No need to be as drastic as buying a jag !

I was kind of asking for it to be fair ..I pulled mine out some weeks ago to check the state of it. I had trouble getting it out .. and when i did , I had trouble getting it back . It's only a push fit device, no bolts . In hindsight as my car is 90k old ,the rubber grommet had gone a bit hard so when I pushed it back I must have split it. It did take a bit of elbow grease and a few @*&*#!! to get it back in.
So i'm tootling down the road , plug the foot to overtake and I got nothin.

Pull over open the bonnet , rev it , hear a whooshing sound coming from the back of the engine and low and behold the sensor is dangling with a split grommet.
Ordered a new one from BMW and the damn thing just slipped in like pushing your finger in a tub of butter. Job completed in 4 mins 30 secs.

Only now I have 2 spare grommets , as I read somewhere that somebody bought a new sensor but it didn't come with a grommet. So I thought I'd be a wise one and buy a grommet and a spare because I knew what a pig it was to get back in. Only the new sensor I bought came with a grommet and the damn thing slipped in. So 2 spares ! if anyone gets really stuck.

The reason for the small turbo inop was as I suspected .. messing around in the engine bay and fed a vac pipe over instead of under another cable so it just popped the hose off the pressure controller. Silly me

Replacing the sensor (MAP) has made a reasonable amount of difference to the low down boost , it seems to come on boost for me at around 1500 , before i was looking at about 1800-1900

Last edited by 335DEE; 08-01-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Appreciate 0