E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Daily Driver Review: Performance Power Kit S1 - N55 335i



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #265
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
BMW_Belgier's Avatar
Switzerland
19
Rep
1,522
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi n55
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog View Post
You have Performance Edition and PPK? I thought the Performance Edition was PPK from the factory....
I think he means the Performance Exhaust (PE)
__________________
BEFORE: 130i N52 (2006-2011)
NOW: 335xi N55 (2011- )
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #266
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
BMW_Belgier's Avatar
Switzerland
19
Rep
1,522
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi n55
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB335 View Post
Those are definitely some nice numbers.

I've had it now for almost a day. I only had the car for 7 days before I gave it back to them for 8, so my perspective got lost. It felt fast as hell before, feels fast as hell now.

How do I physically confirm that it's installed? They badged it all up under the hood but I still have my doubts when asking someone else to do the work. The exhaust burbles and pops 'a little bit' when downshifting, but it COULD have been doing that before and I just wasnt listening for it - it's fairly discreet from inside the car.

I did check this morning on a cold start, and for at least 30 seconds after it started it still had the left pipe closed. My understanding was that the PPK kept both pipes open all the time, is it different if its a cold start and its warming up?

Any opinions or ideas for verification of a correct install?

Overall I am pretty pleased. I purchased a CPO XI with sport but not the 18 inch wheels, and I got them to put in the oil cooler free of charge so they could install the PPK.
You only have this burble when you have the PPK

No it will not open valve left! But you can do that manually

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=Golf+tee
__________________
BEFORE: 130i N52 (2006-2011)
NOW: 335xi N55 (2011- )
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #267
JHB335
New Member
0
Rep
12
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335 XI
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Belgier View Post
You only have this burble when you have the PPK

No it will not open valve left! But you can do that manually

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=Golf+tee
I was pretty sure that I read the PPK modifies how the secondary exhaust opens and closes.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #268
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
BMW_Belgier's Avatar
Switzerland
19
Rep
1,522
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi n55
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB335 View Post
I was pretty sure that I read the PPK modifies how the secondary exhaust opens and closes.
I read that too... But i'm not confinced about that idea...

I actually have a PE and i opened the valve with the golf tee mode already before i let the PPK installed. (European PE has a valve, American doesn't)

I think the best thing to test it, is to open the valve (you know now how) and open your window. Do some city streets. That should confince you... The burble should be there!!!
__________________
BEFORE: 130i N52 (2006-2011)
NOW: 335xi N55 (2011- )
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #269
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
Soliditude's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwg View Post
Thanks Guys

I have a 135i with the DCT -

For me there is a very noticable increase in the gurgle and popping with the PPK installed. Back off the gas at 2500 rpm or below and its snap crackle pop all the way down almost to idle speed. I had a noticeable gain down low and it pulls harder up top as well. I would say its an improvement - but not a transformation. Overall very please with it.

Dang, you are putting down some very impressive torque numbers. That's what I love to see. Your 135i is a beast with that DCT, too.
__________________
'11 6AT 335i xDrive ///M BMW PPK Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #270
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
Soliditude's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB335 View Post
Those are definitely some nice numbers.

I've had it now for almost a day. I only had the car for 7 days before I gave it back to them for 8, so my perspective got lost. It felt fast as hell before, feels fast as hell now.

How do I physically confirm that it's installed? They badged it all up under the hood but I still have my doubts when asking someone else to do the work. The exhaust burbles and pops 'a little bit' when downshifting, but it COULD have been doing that before and I just wasnt listening for it - it's fairly discreet from inside the car.

I did check this morning on a cold start, and for at least 30 seconds after it started it still had the left pipe closed. My understanding was that the PPK kept both pipes open all the time, is it different if its a cold start and its warming up?

Any opinions or ideas for verification of a correct install?

Overall I am pretty pleased. I purchased a CPO XI with sport but not the 18 inch wheels, and I got them to put in the oil cooler free of charge so they could install the PPK.

You are practically, but not quite, correct on the left pipe closing with startup. I've checked this: During a morning cold start, the left pipe will remain closed for more than 2-3 minutes, however, when you actually drive and the engine is warmed, it will always be open in any RPMs. Before the PPK, the left pipe opens only during higher revs and higher RPMs (it never opens during startup unless you get PE exhaust), therefore your exhaust note should be noticeably louder after the PPK when driving. Since the second pipe now works all the time, even in slow city driving, the exhaust becomes meaner and deeper. That is one of two ways to confirm the PPK--and the other? It pulls much harded with a lot less throttle lag from a stop. I noticed the increased power right off the bat, and that's how I confirmed it for myself. Enjoy it!

The only problem: If your exhuast is not louder during all driving and you do not feel your car being stronger during all driving, then they did not install the PPK properly. Earlier in this thread, I argued with a guy who did not feel more power with the PPK, and as it turns out, they never upgraded his ECU when he bought it. So this is up to you to confirm.
__________________
'11 6AT 335i xDrive ///M BMW PPK Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #271
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
Soliditude's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Belgier View Post
I read that too... But i'm not confinced about that idea...

I actually have a PE and i opened the valve with the golf tee mode already before i let the PPK installed. (European PE has a valve, American doesn't)

I think the best thing to test it, is to open the valve (you know now how) and open your window. Do some city streets. That should confince you... The burble should be there!!!
The PPK software itself lets your left pipe always open during driving, but not during warmup. But if you get the PPK exhaust, too, it comes without the valve being there at all--it's tuned for more sound and does not require a valve to be more quiet like the stock. And this is true if your in America. If your in Europe, it's like Belgier said.
__________________
'11 6AT 335i xDrive ///M BMW PPK Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #272
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
Soliditude's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog View Post
You have Performance Edition and PPK? I thought the Performance Edition was PPK from the factory....
PE stands for "Performance Exhaust," but not "Edition." The PPK is sold in two stages, 1 and 2. The 1st stage is just the software upgrade - the exhaust is separate.
__________________
'11 6AT 335i xDrive ///M BMW PPK Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #273
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
Soliditude's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

I can factually confirm that on the 335i N55, the exhuast valve remains open after the software, during all driving. It was mostly closed on the stock setup, however, after the PPK software, it is always open on my car. My exhuast tips no longer unevenly get dirty due to one being open more than the other. They wear dirt in the exact same way, and it was not like that prior to the PPK. And, of course, it's a lot louder, too.
__________________
'11 6AT 335i xDrive ///M BMW PPK Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #274
cwg
Captain
9
Rep
664
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 ZCP. Jzb on black
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kailua, HI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Belgier View Post
I think he means the Performance Exhaust (PE)
Yes - by PE I was referring to the performance exhaust. I installed that about a week after I got the car - When I bought my 135i in November of 2010 they didnt have a performance edition or even the PPK available.

I also installed he performance suspension and I am super happy with that as well, if anyone is considering suspension upgrades to go along with the bump in power.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #275
cwg
Captain
9
Rep
664
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 ZCP. Jzb on black
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kailua, HI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliditude View Post
Dang, you are putting down some very impressive torque numbers. That's what I love to see. Your 135i is a beast with that DCT, too.
I have to drive in stop and go traffic over a 1500 ft elevation change up and then down in the course of about 3 miles so I decided to try the DCT. Been very happy with it - its a lot of fun and with the torque curve of the PPK and rapid shifting of the DCT is pretty quick around town.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #276
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
BMW_Belgier's Avatar
Switzerland
19
Rep
1,522
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi n55
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliditude View Post
I can factually confirm that on the 335i N55, the exhuast valve remains open after the software, during all driving. It was mostly closed on the stock setup, however, after the PPK software, it is always open on my car. My exhuast tips no longer unevenly get dirty due to one being open more than the other. They wear dirt in the exact same way, and it was not like that prior to the PPK. And, of course, it's a lot louder, too.
Ok! I opened the valve, the first day i had the PE so i believe what you say
__________________
BEFORE: 130i N52 (2006-2011)
NOW: 335xi N55 (2011- )
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #277
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
Dozhdbog's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,555
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hollywood

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliditude View Post
PE stands for "Performance Exhaust," but not "Edition." The PPK is sold in two stages, 1 and 2. The 1st stage is just the software upgrade - the exhaust is separate.
PE can also stand for "Performance Edition" (same two initials), just as LSD can mean Limited Slip Differential and LySergic acid Diethylamide.

I would never confuse the latter two in a BMW forum, but the former two, I think, is easily understandable.

I am also quite familiar with the PPK stages. I went through a lot to get the stage 2 installed in my non-sport 335i.
__________________
2011 E90 / Premium Package / Stage 2 PPK / Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #278
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
Soliditude's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog View Post
PE can also stand for "Performance Edition" (same two initials), just as LSD can mean Limited Slip Differential and LySergic acid Diethylamide.

I would never confuse the latter two in a BMW forum, but the former two, I think, is easily understandable.

I am also quite familiar with the PPK stages. I went through a lot to get the stage 2 installed in my non-sport 335i.

It seemed like you were confused in your post, but nevermind - I read it out of context. Was the Stage 2 worth its money in your opinion? I've heard mixed reviews.
__________________
'11 6AT 335i xDrive ///M BMW PPK Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #279
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
Soliditude's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwg View Post
I have to drive in stop and go traffic over a 1500 ft elevation change up and then down in the course of about 3 miles so I decided to try the DCT. Been very happy with it - its a lot of fun and with the torque curve of the PPK and rapid shifting of the DCT is pretty quick around town.

I think BMW makes a really good DCT. I wish it were an option on the 335i, aside from the iS.
__________________
'11 6AT 335i xDrive ///M BMW PPK Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #280
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
Dozhdbog's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,555
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hollywood

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliditude View Post
It seemed like you were confused in your post, but nevermind - I read it out of context. Was the Stage 2 worth its money in your opinion? I've heard mixed reviews.
It made a huge difference when I was out in the desert in 117 degree heat, racing back and forth from hotel to shoot location because I needed to grab additional camera gear. Never went over 245.

Compared to 104 degrees prior to having the stage 2 installed when it bumped up to 255 during much milder driving.

However, I haven't tracked the car yet, so I don't know how much it really affects performance. Also, I should note that since my car was non-sport from the factory, it didn't come with the water cooler, which the dealership installed -along with a couple other items- to bring it up to spec for the stage 2.
__________________
2011 E90 / Premium Package / Stage 2 PPK / Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #281
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
Soliditude's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog View Post
It made a huge difference when I was out in the desert in 117 degree heat, racing back and forth from hotel to shoot location because I needed to grab additional camera gear. Never went over 245.

Compared to 104 degrees prior to having the stage 2 installed when it bumped up to 255 during much milder driving.

However, I haven't tracked the car yet, so I don't know how much it really affects performance. Also, I should note that since my car was non-sport from the factory, it didn't come with the water cooler, which the dealership installed -along with a couple other items- to bring it up to spec for the stage 2.
I see. Yeah, that makes sense. I think you mean the oil cooler, though, right? My M Sport had that, as opposed to a non-sport. But the dealer told me that the water cooler is part of the Stage 2 kit, making the oil cooler just the Sport extra that you get with the actual sport package. I don't know.

My car, after the PPK 1, has never went passed 245 like you said. I did some high elevation driving along with traffic in about 100 heat, and have never ran passed 245, so very happy. Did they install extra cooling ducts in the fog-light area in yours? Like the iS has.
__________________
'11 6AT 335i xDrive ///M BMW PPK Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #282
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
Dozhdbog's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,555
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hollywood

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliditude View Post
I see. Yeah, that makes sense. I think you mean the oil cooler, though, right? My M Sport had that, as opposed to a non-sport. But the dealer told me that the water cooler is part of the Stage 2 kit, making the oil cooler just the Sport extra that you get with the actual sport package. I don't know.

My car, after the PPK 1, has never went passed 245 like you said. I did some high elevation driving along with traffic in about 100 heat, and have never ran passed 245, so very happy. Did they install extra cooling ducts in the fog-light area in yours? Like the iS has.
Sorry, oil cooler is correct. They install a water cooler with the stage 2 ppk, oil cooler would be stock on a 2011 e90 sport (but not on base).

I got extra cooling ducts installed as well alongside the foglight area, and a more powerful fan, along with the aforementioned oil and water coolers.
__________________
2011 E90 / Premium Package / Stage 2 PPK / Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #283
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
Soliditude's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog View Post
Sorry, oil cooler is correct. They install a water cooler with the stage 2 ppk, oil cooler would be stock on a 2011 e90 sport (but not on base).

I got extra cooling ducts installed as well alongside the foglight area, and a more powerful fan, along with the aforementioned oil and water coolers.

How about the exhaust, did you get that too? It's the only thing I'm really wanting to get, but at the same time, don't want to spend all that money.
__________________
'11 6AT 335i xDrive ///M BMW PPK Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #284
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
BMW_Belgier's Avatar
Switzerland
19
Rep
1,522
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi n55
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliditude View Post
How about the exhaust, did you get that too? It's the only thing I'm really wanting to get, but at the same time, don't want to spend all that money.
Don't think! Just buy! It's the best mod i did... by far
__________________
BEFORE: 130i N52 (2006-2011)
NOW: 335xi N55 (2011- )
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #285
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
Dozhdbog's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,555
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hollywood

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliditude View Post
How about the exhaust, did you get that too? It's the only thing I'm really wanting to get, but at the same time, don't want to spend all that money.
Did not get the exhaust. Having heard the Performance Exhaust, it is a lovely sound, and combined with burbles and pops of the PPK, I just know it would be amazing, but.... it's really expensive, I'm buying a house, having a kid, getting married all in the space of a few months, so it's not really a priority right now.

Also, the PPK already did wonderful things to the exhaust sound of my stock pipes. Definitely a good bit louder under throttle -not to mention those fantastic burbles and pops during engine overruns, again.
__________________
2011 E90 / Premium Package / Stage 2 PPK / Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #286
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
Soliditude's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog View Post
Did not get the exhaust. Having heard the Performance Exhaust, it is a lovely sound, and combined with burbles and pops of the PPK, I just know it would be amazing, but.... it's really expensive, I'm buying a house, having a kid, getting married all in the space of a few months, so it's not really a priority right now.

Also, the PPK already did wonderful things to the exhaust sound of my stock pipes. Definitely a good bit louder under throttle -not to mention those fantastic burbles and pops during engine overruns, again.

Yeah, I noticed the same exact effect after the PPK and loved it! The exhaust should be stock that way. But yeah, in your case, I would not be concerned with car mods at all, lol.
__________________
'11 6AT 335i xDrive ///M BMW PPK Stage 1
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST