E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Afternoon Tea

08-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Diver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Black '12 135i DCT PPK Msport

Afternoon Tea

This was shot at an installation and performance art event which was produced by the two women in the portrait.

It is from this set of 20 informal portraits, all in color:

http://ronscubadiver.wordpress.com/2...afternoon-tea/
      08-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
So whats the deal with these photos?

I see you post threads of a photo or two with a sentence of where you were and whos in the photo, but I never really got it. Are you traveling and documenting your encounters with these people? Is there more to these photos that I am just not seeing? Is there a reason there is a new thread for each one and not just a thread you make dedicated to your photography in general? Clue me in here because I'm lost.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
Diver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
So whats the deal with these photos?

I see you post threads of a photo or two with a sentence of where you were and whos in the photo, but I never really got it. Are you traveling and documenting your encounters with these people? Is there more to these photos that I am just not seeing? Is there a reason there is a new thread for each one and not just a thread you make dedicated to your photography in general? Clue me in here because I'm lost.

If you visit my site there is a longer story for every set of images. Perhaps you are missing something. This particular image was nominated for POTW at Nikon Gear. As for asking that I set up a thread dedicated to my photography in general, I really don't see any reason for that. Would you like it if you were asked to set up a single thread dedicated to all your experiences with BMW cars in general, and only post to that?

The reason that I seem to have a disproportionate number of threads in this area is very few people are posting. There must be a lot of good photographers here who could post images, but probably don't because they are afraid of being subjected to rudeness as I am here and in a prior thread. The remedy is not for me to post less, but for others to post more.
      08-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Well, I feel quite differently. I'm not going to bash your work but I will say it seems pretty hard to follow when posted in the manner that you do it in. I don't know if you're trying to use this site to help boost your personal site visits or what but it's obviously not working for a reason.

If you have a photo set (more than 2 images) that you feel inclined to share, please feel free to put your work on display. However posting 1 photo and then telling people there are 20 more on your site makes your efforts to share on this site seem misguided.

I don't post a thread about every commute I make in my BMW but I would make a thread about a road trip I take in it because it has a story behind it.

This 1 image, nominated for POTW or whatever, isn't telling me a story (or much of a complete one anyway). It honestly just makes it look like you are an event photographer taking photos of loonies with rabbits and this was the best shot you took so you're inclined to share. My suggestion to you if you want some responses around here is to either do the single photo thing with a link in a dedicated thread to your work, or share larger sets with more back story in individual threads, as your current campaign will earn you about as much popularity as Mitt Romney at a JCC fundraiser.

You have to remember this isn't POTN, FredMiranda.com or any other photo dedicated forums... its a BMW one so people aren't going to be as inclined to look at people work for the sake of being curious about "art".
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
If you visit my site there is a longer story for every set of images. Perhaps you are missing something. This particular image was nominated for POTW at Nikon Gear. As for asking that I set up a thread dedicated to my photography in general, I really don't see any reason for that. Would you like it if you were asked to set up a single thread dedicated to all your experiences with BMW cars in general, and only post to that?

The reason that I seem to have a disproportionate number of threads in this area is very few people are posting. There must be a lot of good photographers here who could post images, but probably don't because they are afraid of being subjected to rudeness as I am here and in a prior thread. The remedy is not for me to post less, but for others to post more.
Ron,

I think Badger (and others, including myself) just don't understand your style of photography. I don't think he was asking specifically for this shoot, but just in general, what your style was... street photography? documentary photography? photojournalism? I was also curious about that. I don't think he meant to offend you or your style. We never said your photos aren't good, etc... we just don't understand them. I just thought they came across as candid shots, which is a valid style.

Personally, I think starting a new topic for a new topic is fine. And, yeah you are right, there are a disproportionate number of threads you start, compared to others, mainly because others don't start new threads. But, if you are going to post a single photo or a couple photos, wouldn't it seems more logical to just include it in the Snapshot of the Day thread? That's what most people do. There's no problem in linking to your additional photos on Flickr or your website.

Currently for sale: N/A
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Diver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Badger, if you find my photography to be uninteresting, just skip over it. All I can tell you is that I am not interested in generating a controversy or conflict here.

I consider your remarks to be unfair. It has been over a week since I started a new thread here. The last couple of posts before that were added to existing threads. It seems to me you are trying to create an issue where none exists.

Nobody has to visit my website. If they do, it is non commercial. I don't make a dime off it. It is obvious this is a BMW forum, but all kinds of people drive BMW's so there is no way to draw conclusions in advance about what kind of non-automotive photography they like. After all, this is the off topic photo forum so a wide variety of subject matter should be acceptable.

One problem with posting a "diver" thread is it is not possible to edit the title of the post after a few days. Viewers have no hint as to what the latest post is like. However, I might try the idea if that it what it takes to avoid conflict.

The snapshot of the day thread has potential, but I think they need to start a new one every week, and get "snapshot" out of the name. More often than not the term "snapshot" is used in a derogatory sense.

Anyway, if anyone does not get it, I am not going to be offended. There is simply no reason to be making a stink because I post here and my posts seem overly prominent because so few other photographers are posting here.

Last edited by Diver; 08-09-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Quote:
Badger, if you find my photography to be uninteresting, just skip over it. All I can tell you is that I am not interested in generating a controversy or conflict here.
Again make no mistake, I am not critiquing your work, but rather saying its hard to become engaged by a single photograph with little to no background info or other images to create a visual narrative. I am making no knock at your photography or skills, I happen to really enjoy your photo posted for the contest.

Quote:
I consider your remarks to be unfair. It has been over a week since I started a new thread here. The last couple of posts before that were added to existing threads. It seems to me you are trying to create an issue where none exists.
Unfair? OK?
Your latest might be over a week old, however when clicking onto the Photo/Video section one would note that in the 1st two pages alone you own nearly 25% of the threads opened and they are solely for the purpose of showing off YOUR work and site exclusively. I am in no way saying thats wrong but in the abundance that you have offered us (with little to no response from anyone), it's coming on a bit strongly in a "look at me" need for attention fashion.

Quote:
Nobody has to visit my website. If they do, it is non commercial. I don't make a dime off it. It is obvious this is a BMW forum, but all kinds of people drive BMW's so there is no way to draw conclusions in advance about what kind of non-automotive photography they like. After all, this is the off topic photo forum so a wide variety of subject matter should be acceptable.
I think I'm going to call you out on this one. I never said you were doing this to monetarily boost your wallet, I just said the effort was misguided - you're not really putting out the "sharing" feeling if you make us visit your site to see the rest. If you sincerely feel you're not trying to direct people to your personal site then why include the extra link to it in the thread (especially considering it's already in your signature)? If you were genuinely interested in just sharing your work for all to see why not just post up the set in its entirety for all to see on this site instead of redirecting? Why are your photos too good for the common sharing threads? Personally this is more of a slap in the face than anything.

Quote:
One problem with posting a "diver" thread is it is not possible to edit the title of the post after a few days. Viewers have no hint as to what the latest post is like. However, I might try the idea if that it what it takes to avoid conflict.
Who cares if you can't re-title it? If people are interested in your work they will look, and if you post up new stuff in a sort of "blog" fashion, people can go to the latest post and see your latest work. I'm not really sure where your problem is here - are you new to working on this kind of forum? I'd say the gross majority of members here know how to view the latest post in a thread.

Quote:
The snapshot of the day thread has potential, but I think they need to start a new one every week, and get "snapshot" out of the name. More often than not the term "snapshot" is used in a derogatory sense.
Getting technical here on the word snapshot isn't helping your case. If you have viewed the thread frequently like most of us do you'd see more than the majority of images posted are anything but "snapshots" in your definition. It's a place where the regulars share a shot or two from their latest work instead of posting a new thread for a single photo.

Quote:
Anyway, if anyone does not get it, I am not going to be offended. There is simply no reason to be making a stink because I post here and my posts seem overly prominent because so few other photographers are posting here.
Again, tons of photogs are posting here, but in a communal manner of sharing of "gallery space" so to speak. If you want to continue to do it your way, feel free - I don't own this website. But I will say if you do, understand that many of us DON'T understand its manner and content because of the way its done and so you'll probably continue to get some blank stares and empty threads.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
rodi
. . .
Rep

Drives: your FACE!

your posts would indeed be very fitting for the snapshot of the day thread.

insinuations aside, that is the thread where one may post their picks from outings or whatever. it is much simpler to scroll through pages of images (and click on the accompanying flickr link or whatever) to view more of that series. why? because this is an internet community and a thread such as that embodies what it means to be a community. not singular threads of singular [mediocre] images. that's not community. that's the issue here. not your snapshots.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
Diver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
your posts would indeed be very fitting for the snapshot of the day thread.

insinuations aside, that is the thread where one may post their picks from outings or whatever. it is much simpler to scroll through pages of images (and click on the accompanying flickr link or whatever) to view more of that series. why? because this is an internet community and a thread such as that embodies what it means to be a community. not singular threads of singular [mediocre] images. that's not community. that's the issue here. not your snapshots.
I will consider the snapshot of the day thread for my next post. Frankly, I don't believe any of my critics are right, but I don't want things around here to degenerate any further than they have.
      08-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
I will consider the snapshot of the day thread for my next post. Frankly, I don't believe any of my critics are right, but I don't want things around here to degenerate any further than they have.
Please don't take too much offense from our "critics". I think they're really just trying to understand your approach. I like a lot of your stuff and think that you have a very diverse style. The question may have been as much about posting style and about image style.

I think that Snapshot of the Day is a great place for isolated shots, like the one at the head of this thread. You can still be expansive in your comments and provide a link to more of the same. Sometimes I just post an image and run, but other times I'll be more expansive about the image.

When you want to show several images from a gallery, then a separate thread is almost demanded. There are no hard and fast rules.

Dave
      08-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Again just so we are all clear here, nobody is critiquing the actual work, that's the subjective part. It's the manner of its presentation that is being brought up.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
Diver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I am going to change the presentation in the interests of peace and tranquility, so everybody relax.
      08-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Drives: slow

Looks like event photography to me. Diver makes a new thread for each new event, which I don't mind at all. It's a different shoot, different topic, and deserves a separate thread with its own title. I don't see anyone telling 1013MM to put all of his posts in one thread and not provide external links.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
Diver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boymonkey View Post
Looks like event photography to me. Diver makes a new thread for each new event, which I don't mind at all. It's a different shoot, different topic, and deserves a separate thread with its own title. I don't see anyone telling 1013MM to put all of his posts in one thread and not provide external links.
1013MM does automotive photography, and that gets a free pass around here. He is very good at it. I don't think anyone was on my case for providing external links. Soon I am going to start a Diver's Photography thread. I have only been back from Michigan for a few days; there are 35 new images on my site from the trip.

The girls in the OP are having another event tonight, their closing reception, and I will be shooting that.