E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > London Olympics 2012



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
 
arnsbrae's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 520d
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 508
iTrader: (0)

London Olympics 2012

Just a note to say well done to you 'Merkins. Top of the medal table at this stage!
__________________
August 2012 F10 520d SE sport automatic, Jet Black, Oyster\Black Leather, light ash wood trim, Professional media/ navigation, mobile apps, Internet, DAB radio.
arnsbrae is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
That_1_Guy
Captain
 
That_1_Guy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kansas City, Kansas

Posts: 865
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
China is nippin' at our heels though. GBR is starting to come up in the Gold Medal Race as well.
__________________
Sold 2011 BMW 135i - COBB V2 AP / VMR 710's / 4" AR Catless DP / BMS Intake w/ Air Scoops / Eibach Pro Kit / MadDad Street Series Axle Back / ER Charge Pipe / BMS OCC / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Sammich Sticker
That_1_Guy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
richard in NC
Major
 
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 1,335
iTrader: (0)

The British heptathalete Jessica Ennis did a great job. She could have cruised to a win yet took off to win the 800m segment. Awesome moment.

Of course Phelps is one of the greatest Olympic swimmers ever but I'm cheering more for the US women. Missy Franklin and more. I can't imagine still being in high school and winning like they are on a world stage.
__________________
2013 X3 35i, Vermillion Red/Sand Beige: MSport, Premium, Technology, Premium Sound, Hud, More...
2012 335is, Space Gray/Oyster-Black: DCT, 19s, Premium, Convenience, Nav, Heated Seats, More...
Gone '11 X5 50i, '09 Z4 35i, '08 550i, 06 X3, 06 650i, '02 M5, '99 540i
richard in NC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
nickm9
Private First Class
 
Drives: E89 Z4 35i - Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London

Posts: 185
iTrader: (0)

I saw that the Americans get paid when they win medals, and taxed too, but I don't think us Brits get paid for when we win medals..
nickm9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen

Posts: 9,806
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
The British heptathalete Jessica Ennis did a great job. She could have cruised to a win yet took off to win the 800m segment. Awesome moment.

Of course Phelps is one of the greatest Olympic swimmers ever but I'm cheering more for the US women. Missy Franklin and more. I can't imagine still being in high school and winning like they are on a world stage.
Missy Franklin kinda annoys me though.

She didn't take any endorsements because she wants to e eligible to swim for her highschool team.

Seriously honey? You're a world recording hold multiple gold medal winning Olympian - how is that fair to anybody else you're swimming against?
__________________
BrokenVert is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
Bingobimmer
Lieutenant
 
Bingobimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 n54
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: On the road...

Posts: 490
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Missy Franklin kinda annoys me though.

She didn't take any endorsements because she wants to e eligible to swim for her highschool team.

Seriously honey? You're a world recording hold multiple gold medal winning Olympian - how is that fair to anybody else you're swimming against?
Didn't think about that good point. After winning at London how much fun can it be beating a bunch of high school kids.
__________________
2009 E90 335i AW... Black grills/jb4/lux angel eyes/clear side reflectors/and a few more small mods
Bingobimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
schoy
Private First Class
 
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SD

Posts: 123
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Missy Franklin kinda annoys me though.

She didn't take any endorsements because she wants to e eligible to swim for her highschool team.

Seriously honey? You're a world recording hold multiple gold medal winning Olympian - how is that fair to anybody else you're swimming against?
It's called helping your team win. It's not like she's a ringer. Plus, I bet her high school team would want her to swim (though I'm sure they'd understand if she took the money instead).
schoy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
richard in NC
Major
 
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 1,335
iTrader: (0)

Its not just high school, she wants to compete in college too.
__________________
2013 X3 35i, Vermillion Red/Sand Beige: MSport, Premium, Technology, Premium Sound, Hud, More...
2012 335is, Space Gray/Oyster-Black: DCT, 19s, Premium, Convenience, Nav, Heated Seats, More...
Gone '11 X5 50i, '09 Z4 35i, '08 550i, 06 X3, 06 650i, '02 M5, '99 540i
richard in NC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
 
arnsbrae's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 520d
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 508
iTrader: (0)

The US really dominated in the pool - half of their medals have been won there (so far).

No-one can beat the Brits at sports where you sit down...

Equestrian
Rowing\ sculls
Cycling
Sailing
Triathlon (a third of it anyway...)

Also, all of the above involves the use of a machine or horse.

We have won a couple of races too...(and the long jump).
__________________
August 2012 F10 520d SE sport automatic, Jet Black, Oyster\Black Leather, light ash wood trim, Professional media/ navigation, mobile apps, Internet, DAB radio.

Last edited by arnsbrae; 08-07-2012 at 04:07 PM.
arnsbrae is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen

Posts: 9,806
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
It's called helping your team win. It's not like she's a ringer. Plus, I bet her high school team would want her to swim (though I'm sure they'd understand if she took the money instead).
Im sorry what?

Shes a World Record holding Olympic athlete.

You cant get much more ringer than that.
__________________
BrokenVert is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
fercho
Lieutenant
 
fercho's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 518
iTrader: (2)

mexico or brazil??? what are your predictions for the soccer game??
__________________
2005 z4 2.5i/// Aero front bumper, m rear bumper,08 rear lights, custom quad exhaust, matte black front grill, OEM alarm, llumar security film,m wheels, HID lights, LED interior and trunk light,Ipod integration, stubby antenna,tein s-tech springsx
fercho is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
 
arnsbrae's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 520d
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 508
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fercho View Post
mexico or brazil??? what are your predictions for the soccer game??
Go Mexico!

Brazil produces good footballers but I had a great trip to Mexico and loved it. I was also lucky enough to see USA v Mexico a few years ago in NY and played some car park football (okay...soccer) with some brilliant Mexican guys.

If they can build an F30 they can stuff Brazil. Probably.
__________________
August 2012 F10 520d SE sport automatic, Jet Black, Oyster\Black Leather, light ash wood trim, Professional media/ navigation, mobile apps, Internet, DAB radio.
arnsbrae is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
schoy
Private First Class
 
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SD

Posts: 123
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Im sorry what?

Shes a World Record holding Olympic athlete.

You cant get much more ringer than that.
Relevant definition of "Ringer" (Merriam-Webster): one that enters a competition under false representations

The term "ringer" in sports vernacular typically applies to a team that brings in someone who otherwise isn't eligible (but claims is eligible) for the purpose of boosting the team's chance of winning (like bringing in Derek Jeter to your inter-company softball league game and saying that Derek works for your company). In an individual sport event, it would be like Usain Bolt competing in a high school track meet, when he's clearly not a student there.

Missy is clearly eligible and has been on the team all season, and competing high schools are under no illusion that she wouldn't be competing. So, no, Missy's NOT a ringer.

So, how about that retraction?

Last edited by schoy; 08-08-2012 at 02:26 PM.
schoy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
fercho
Lieutenant
 
fercho's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 518
iTrader: (2)

I totally agree with you, mexico will win, and I also like the brazil team, but this time mexico have a better team with better players, and I also agree with you if mexico can build f30 they are totally going to stuff brazil haha!!
cheers!
__________________
2005 z4 2.5i/// Aero front bumper, m rear bumper,08 rear lights, custom quad exhaust, matte black front grill, OEM alarm, llumar security film,m wheels, HID lights, LED interior and trunk light,Ipod integration, stubby antenna,tein s-tech springsx
fercho is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #15
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen

Posts: 9,806
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
Relevant definition of "Ringer" (Merriam-Webster): one that enters a competition under false representations

The term "ringer" in sports vernacular typically applies to a team that brings in someone who otherwise isn't eligible (but claims is eligible) for the purpose of boosting the team's chance of winning (like bringing in Derek Jeter to your inter-company softball league game and saying that Derek works for your company). In an individual sport event, it would be like Usain Bolt competing in a high school track meet, when he's clearly not a student there.

Missy is clearly eligible and has been on the team all season, and competing high schools are under no illusion that she wouldn't be competing. So, no, Missy's NOT a ringer.

So, how about that retraction?

Im still rolling that youre defending an Oympic Gold Medalist competing in highschool sports.


Its a hilarious concept - where is she by definition a ringer or not.
__________________
BrokenVert is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
schoy
Private First Class
 
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SD

Posts: 123
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Im still rolling that youre defending an Oympic Gold Medalist competing in highschool sports.


Its a hilarious concept - where is she by definition a ringer or not.
What's wrong with that? She's helping her team win. It may not mean much her, but I'm sure it means a whole lot for her team (and as a corollary, it means a lot to her to help her friends win). And where do you draw the line for being-too-good-to-play-highschool-sports? Why should being too good, in and of itself, prevent someone from competing, as long as they are eligible?
schoy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #17
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen

Posts: 9,806
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
What's wrong with that? She's helping her team win. It may not mean much her, but I'm sure it means a whole lot for her team (and as a corollary, it means a lot to her to help her friends win). And where do you draw the line for being-too-good-to-play-highschool-sports? Why should being too good, in and of itself, prevent someone from competing, as long as they are eligible?
I never said anything about her not being allowed to compete.


Im just laughing at the concept of Derek Jeter playing for my highschool team.


And yes - having somebody else win something for you is always greeted with happiness.
__________________
BrokenVert is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 01:57 AM   #18
leJUNd
First Lieutenant
 
leJUNd's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 313
iTrader: (1)

They should add motor sports in the Olympics... There are some weird events in the Olympic.... I don't know what it's called but there's event where horses dancing to music. rhythmic gymnastic? I will give you synchronized swimming. kayaking?? Not saying any of these are easy but there are lot of obscure events in the olympic. I am surprised bowling isn't an event in the olympic. They should add some of the x game events to the summer Olympics.
leJUNd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #19
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
 
arnsbrae's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 520d
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 508
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordingi2ime View Post
They should add motor sports in the Olympics... There are some weird events in the Olympic.... I don't know what it's called but there's event where horses dancing to music. rhythmic gymnastic? I will give you synchronized swimming. kayaking?? Not saying any of these are easy but there are lot of obscure events in the olympic. I am surprised bowling isn't an event in the olympic. They should add some of the x game events to the summer Olympics.
GB won a gold medal for town planning in the Los Angeles Olympic games.

True story.
__________________
August 2012 F10 520d SE sport automatic, Jet Black, Oyster\Black Leather, light ash wood trim, Professional media/ navigation, mobile apps, Internet, DAB radio.
arnsbrae is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 05:30 AM   #20
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
 
Robin_NL's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

Posts: 4,679
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
The US really dominated in the pool - half of their medals have been won there (so far).

No-one can beat the Brits at sports where you sit down...

Equestrian
Rowing\ sculls
Cycling
Sailing
Triathlon (a third of it anyway...)

Also, all of the above involves the use of a machine or horse.

We have won a couple of races too...(and the long jump).
I agree, but this happened yesterday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18914439

Also fellow Heerenveen citizen(!) Epke Zonderland won gold at the gymnastics High Bar this week.His former trainer/coach was a friend of mine some 10 years ago...

Notice our (national) Frisian flag


[/chauvinism]

Cheers
Robin
Robin_NL is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #21
leJUNd
First Lieutenant
 
leJUNd's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 313
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
GB won a gold medal for town planning in the Los Angeles Olympic games.

True story.
Holy shit. They had art competition in the olympic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...t_competitions

Tug of wall and rope climbing were olympic sports in the past.
leJUNd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #22
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
 
arnsbrae's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 520d
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 508
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I agree, but this happened yesterday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18914439

Also fellow Heerenveen citizen(!) Epke Zonderland won gold at the gymnastics High Bar this week.His former trainer/coach was a friend of mine some 10 years ago...

Notice our (national) Frisian flag

[/chauvinism]

Cheers
Robin
Lol - yes the Dutch (including Frisians) often over perform in sports for the size of the population. They also have the loud and proud Oranje behind them everywhere they go!
__________________
August 2012 F10 520d SE sport automatic, Jet Black, Oyster\Black Leather, light ash wood trim, Professional media/ navigation, mobile apps, Internet, DAB radio.
arnsbrae is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST