E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HKS Exhaust + Catless DPs = Drone :-(



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #23
E90Company
Major General
 
E90Company's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

Posts: 6,141
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Give it a chance OR get resonators welded in somewhere -- Only real solutions for drone
No. Resonators reduce rasp not drone.
E90Company is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #24
Bakeme521
Some say...
 
Bakeme521's Avatar
 
Drives: Fresh
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baton Rouge n NOLA

Posts: 4,269
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.04]
I have the same setup right now, you are really sensitive to drone. You have never experienced real drone...
__________________

I have exhaust and an intake...
Bakeme521 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #25
JMARS
Not Baned
 
Drives: Single-T WTCC e90
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boca Raton, FL

Posts: 1,163
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafoo View Post
I have hks with aa too. You must be really sensitive to drone. I've driven a 08 gt500 that required ear plugs driving on the highway lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
I have the same setup right now, you are really sensitive to drone. You have never experienced real drone...
You guys dont know who you're talking to... LOL
I've owned several cars that have had loud exhausts... C6 Z06 (cam/heads/LTheaders/full exhaust), C6 Vert(maggie/cam/heads/LTheaders/full exhaust), +1200WHP GTO, EvoX(everything 660awhp), R33 Skyline GTR(600whp), the list goes on... ALL OF THEM MODDED TO THE MAX (I get bored fast hehe)
I agree most people on this forum HAVE NO IDEA what real drone is.. I was just saying that I was not expecting it since MOST reiviews (look it up) rave about the exhaust and no drone. No Biggie though I just wasnt expecting it, but like I said it'll prob just take some getting used to Looks cool though LOL
JMARS is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #26
Bakeme521
Some say...
 
Bakeme521's Avatar
 
Drives: Fresh
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baton Rouge n NOLA

Posts: 4,269
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.04]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMARS View Post
You guys dont know who you're talking to... LOL
I've owned several cars that have had loud exhausts... C6 Z06 (cam/heads/LTheaders/full exhaust), C6 Vert(maggie/cam/heads/LTheaders/full exhaust), +1200WHP GTO, EvoX(everything 660awhp), R33 Skyline GTR(600whp), the list goes on... ALL OF THEM MODDED TO THE MAX (I get bored fast hehe)
I agree most people on this forum HAVE NO IDEA what real drone is.. I was just saying that I was not expecting it since MOST reiviews (look it up) rave about the exhaust and no drone. No Biggie though I just wasnt expecting it, but like I said it'll prob just take some getting used to Looks cool though LOL
haha to me it has no drone, go slap on HPF and drive it around for about a week and then put the hks back on. After having that setup on my car, its like this exhaust is as quiet as oem to me believe it or not haha.
__________________

I have exhaust and an intake...
Bakeme521 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #27
benzy89
Banned
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
No. Resonators reduce rasp not drone.
Here are 2 people (who's opinion I respect much more than your's) who've had success with resonators reducing/eliminating drone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
Oh man, another one?

Yes it will reduce drone..and clean it up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
I had the same problem when i went catless and resonated midpipes from Rennart fixed it. No more drone/rasp.
benzy89 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #28
E90Company
Major General
 
E90Company's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

Posts: 6,141
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Here are 2 people (who's opinion I respect much more than your's) who've had success with resonators reducing/eliminating drone.
Only going by firsthand experience, having a friend being an exhaust fabricator, and hearing many exhaust setups with resonators welded in. Different results depend on what setup one is running
E90Company is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #29
benzy89
Banned
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Only going by firsthand experience, having a friend being an exhaust fabricator, and hearing many exhaust setups with resonators welded in. Different results depend on what setup one is running
Anything not-HPF can prob. be fixed
benzy89 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #30
E90Company
Major General
 
E90Company's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

Posts: 6,141
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Anything not-HPF can prob. be fixed
Pipes are pipes, anything is do-able.
E90Company is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #31
nafoo
Major
 
nafoo's Avatar
 
Drives: Boosted Bimmer
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Earth

Posts: 1,148
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMARS View Post
You guys dont know who you're talking to... LOL
I've owned several cars that have had loud exhausts... C6 Z06 (cam/heads/LTheaders/full exhaust), C6 Vert(maggie/cam/heads/LTheaders/full exhaust), +1200WHP GTO, EvoX(everything 660awhp), R33 Skyline GTR(600whp), the list goes on... ALL OF THEM MODDED TO THE MAX (I get bored fast hehe)
I agree most people on this forum HAVE NO IDEA what real drone is.. I was just saying that I was not expecting it since MOST reiviews (look it up) rave about the exhaust and no drone. No Biggie though I just wasnt expecting it, but like I said it'll prob just take some getting used to Looks cool though LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
haha to me it has no drone, go slap on HPF and drive it around for about a week and then put the hks back on. After having that setup on my car, its like this exhaust is as quiet as oem to me believe it or not haha.
I switched from Vanguard to the HKS, so that's probably why I don't think there is any drone. It also may be due to my 3.46 gear ratio that keeps my RPMs a little higher.
nafoo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #32
Airdanny
Private
 
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Puerto Rico

Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

What about rasp?? I've heard that catless dp's bring out some rasp, but with the hks resonators, does it rasp at all? Im going with that same exhaust/dp combo and rasp is definately something I can't stand... Anyone that has had hks + catless dp's please chime in
__________________
Airdanny is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #33
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 16,479
iTrader: (31)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Well it looks great. Some people are more sensitive to drone then others but this car drones on almost any exhaust, except for a couple.

The AE Performance, HKS, and BMW Performance Exhaust drone the least from what I've been hearing.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #34
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
cn555ic's Avatar
 
Drives: 917-939-4980
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 18,261
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Resonators do get rid of rasp for sure, but at the same time it does help a drop with drone...
__________________

Coding E and F New York 917-939-4980
cn555ic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #35
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
 
cstmx_ryder's Avatar
 
Drives: A metal box with a roundel
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,711
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to cstmx_ryder Send a message via MSN to cstmx_ryder
OP,

Let me start by asking you, what RPM are you driving/cruising at after the HKS install?

Before you answer, I'll just tell you that if you cruise at the same rpm before and after the HKS install, of course your gonna get a drone!
__________________

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
cstmx_ryder is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #36
JMARS
Not Baned
 
Drives: Single-T WTCC e90
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boca Raton, FL

Posts: 1,163
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
OP,

Let me start by asking you, what RPM are you driving/cruising at after the HKS install?

Before you answer, I'll just tell you that if you cruise at the same rpm before and after the HKS install, of course your gonna get a drone!
This thread is irrelevant to me now guys I've moved on to a 6MT e93 and just ordered a Single T! hehe should sound crazy!
JMARS is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #37
Sered
Lieutenant
 
Sered's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E93 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL

Posts: 529
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
No. Resonators reduce rasp not drone.
No. Resonators can do both depending on placement, length, material, etc
__________________
'09 E93 M3 6MT, H&R sports, VMR710 19x9.5+22f 19x11+25r, Michelin PSS, VF540, AA TPs
'09 Z4 sDrive35i, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, DCT, Premium Pkg, Ivory Leather pkg
Sered is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #38
E90Company
Major General
 
E90Company's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

Posts: 6,141
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
No. Resonators can do both depending on placement, length, material, etc
You are correct. They reduce drone as well, but are more for cutting down on rasp.
E90Company is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #39
BoostAddict
Captain
 
BoostAddict's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM 335i
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Posts: 912
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMARS View Post
This thread is irrelevant to me now guys I've moved on to a 6MT e93 and just ordered a Single T! hehe should sound crazy!
Awesome! I'll have to come down to the Boca meet again to check it out when it's done.
__________________
I do Installs and flash tuning in South Florida
-2008 335i SGM on Terra 6mt
-1997 Jetta TDi 16v ABA Pt6266
-1997 M3 Pt6766
BoostAddict is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST