E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2007 328i -- passenger side leak

08-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
charbake
charbake
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 328i

2007 328i -- passenger side leak

My windshield was replaced a couple months ago and several weeks after the replacement I noticed water in the passenger floorboard. After further investigation, it appeared it was coming through the blower vent just below and behind the glove box. I chalked it up to condensation and didn't notice any additional issues.

After a couple more weeks and no additional issues with leaks, I found a significant amount of water in the passenger floorboard after washing the car. The same situation occurred and the water was coming through the blower vent and dripping out of the blower motor housing.

I was able to replicate the leak by simply focusing water pressure on the passenger side of the windshield.

I removed the windshield cowl and noticed a couple of issues with the way it was seated and it looked like the windshield company attempted to seat the cowl in sealant which doesn't appear to be how it should have been installed.

Taking it apart revealed that the water was entering behind the cowl and jumping over the gutter system that is intended to redirect it to the sides. When it would run over the gutter it was filling up the air intake for the blower fan. In some situations if the air was set to recirculate then the vents were closed and the water would not enter until the car was in park and the vents open back up to allow ventillation.

Anyone ever experienced a similar situation? Any recommedations on where to purchase the cowl? I've followed several links mentioned here and have not found one for the 2007 328i. Are there any additional seals or parts I should order with it?

I'm at a bit of a loss for why the water is not staying in the gutter and redirecting to the side drains as intended since the cowl really doesn't seem to be in that bad of shape and there is minimal warping. Is there possibly some obscure part that the windshield shop didn't put back on?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
BOBKUR
Major
Rep

Drives: 2008 E 90

Bring it back to the shop that installed it.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
charbake
charbake
United_States
Rep

I could do that, but I would prefer to know what they screwed up before I let them resolve it or pay for it. I don't imagine that 'Safelite' is well versed in the mechanics of a BMW.

And by the way, they will likely be purchasing a new blower motor -- it seized up shortly after the car wash leak and I gave the housing a tap or two with my fist to get it going again.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
sibhusky
Private
Rep

Drives: 2007 E91 328XI

It sounds like either the window sealant wasnt properly applied or the aftermarket safelite windshield doesnt line up with the opening. I would not want to use a safelite windshield and would insist on the oem, i cant remember if its sekurit but make sure you get the oem windshield.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
charbake
charbake
United_States
Rep

Should the windshield cowl on the 2007 328i be sealed to the windshield or is it meant to be a dry fit?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
mike3000fl
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 330i

hey search my old posts, this is a common problem.

Appreciate 0