E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Noob Needs Advice - 328xi front end damag

02-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
MickeyKnoxx
The Lyrical Miracle

Drives: 2009 328i XDrive Sport Package

Noob Needs Advice - 328xi front end damag

hey everyone. I'm new to the forum. I'm also new to the BMW ownership family. I purchased my used 2009 328i X Drive in mid January...literally a few weeks ago...I have absolutely terrible luck with cars, and I happen to live amongst some of the worst drivers in the history of automobiles.

I was at a yield sign about to merge on to a busy street and the truck in front of me, and F-150 went from the yield sign onto the street...i continued to look left and inch up while I waited for a car to pass and once it passed I hit the gas, ....not noticing that the truck in front of me had slammed on his brakes to avoid the car I was waiting to let by...who decided to change lanes in front of the truck...long story short my lovely car ended up playing tag with the f - 150 at less than 5mph. No Airbag deployed. Hood smashed, bumper smashed, grill smashed, and one headlight is damaged. all I can see externally. I'm afraid to open the hood because I won't be able to close it back.

I haven't had the insurance estimate yet, but I'm wondering if you guys think it would be a good idea to repair with aftermarket parts. I was eventually going to put the M-Style fenders, M-Style Hood and the M-bumper on anyway...but seeing as I have to repair or replace this now via my insurance...I wanted to know if I should just have the repair facility do everything OEM or purchase the parts I want.

I don't know if there was anything mechanical that was damaged, however since then (a few days ago) the radiator fan kicks on loudly at around 200 degrees on the engine temp...(sounds like a jet engine) and when I turn the car off and the fans slow down I hear an audible ticking of the fan slowing down sounds like it's hitting against something.

What ballpark do you think the damages are in...and would it be feasible to get aftermarket replacements for the exterior pieces or would I exceed the estimate?

Last edited by MickeyKnoxx; 02-26-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: title
      02-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
ChasVS
Colonel

Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Sure, why not if there's no underlying structural damage found. Wouldn't make much sense to pay for a full repair and then take it all off for your mods.
      02-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
MickeyKnoxx
The Lyrical Miracle

do u think that where the impact was it could have caused any considerable internal damage? I dont believe its overheating and I think the fan noise is just loud because now my hood is slightly open and theres no barrier to the noise. Also any ideas on what companies sell the m-style replacements...preferably pre-painted
      02-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
mike3000fl
Eleven Bravo

Drives: 06 330i

good news.....not a bad accident at all. you went up under his bumper, doubt you have any suspension damage or much structural (if any at all). Looks like your bumper cover absorbed the impact, the actual bumper underneath is 50/50 probably fine. The headlight looks good too. It will still drive right after repair. You obviously need a hood and bunch of plastic shit, to include a new front bumper cover. Turn lemon into lemonade and get an Mtech front.

Damages. no idea. maybe 5k.

Aftermarket... if the parts you want are in excess of what they allow on the estimate, you pay the difference. if the parts need custom fitting and aligning, you pay that labor. if it takes 3 weeks to get there and the car is stuck on hold, you pay your own rental car for the extra time, you cant hold up the repair for special parts.

02-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
MickeyKnoxx
The Lyrical Miracle

ok well that def makes me feel better. I was looking at the M3 Style bumper $500 on bimmian.com

then the M3 Fenders around $500 http://www.ultimatemotorx.net/20bmwe92m3st.html

and the M3 Style CF Hood $600 from mod bargains and I'll save money on paint with the CF Hood.

and I wanted the Black Powdercoat Race Mesh Grill

I found a replacement passenger headlight on ebay for under $300...so all in all minus anything mechanical, ....I think i can get everything done for less than 4k with paint and installation.
      02-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
DDS2015
Major

Drives: 2011 E90 LCI 328i xdrive

Garage List
Damage looks similar to when I backed up into my sister's E92 (in my old truck). I only clipped the driver's corner of the front and to replace with all OEM stuff was somewhere around 6K. Went through insurance and she was all fixed up within a matter of 2 weeks (we had another car going to the body shop that was bumped). Worst part about the whole ordeal was that her car was around 2 weeks old when I did this, with less than 1k miles on it.
DDS2015 is offline   Canada
      02-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?

Drives: 06 330i 6MT

your fenders appear find and dont need replacing
      02-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
MickeyKnoxx
The Lyrical Miracle

the driver side fender is cracked...may be just a simple fix so I may forget about replacing the fenders. I just figured I'd get them because I wanted the M3 style ones anyway
      02-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
MickeyKnoxx
The Lyrical Miracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS2015 View Post
Damage looks similar to when I backed up into my sister's E92 (in my old truck). I only clipped the driver's corner of the front and to replace with all OEM stuff was somewhere around 6K. Went through insurance and she was all fixed up within a matter of 2 weeks (we had another car going to the body shop that was bumped). Worst part about the whole ordeal was that her car was around 2 weeks old when I did this, with less than 1k miles on it.
damn...6k! well I hope its all cosmetic stuff aside from the fan and my insurance cuts a check for a good amount
      02-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
DDS2015
Major

Drives: 2011 E90 LCI 328i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyKnoxx View Post
damn...6k! well I hope its all cosmetic stuff aside from the fan and my insurance cuts a check for a good amount
That was including taxes and labour. Also, It was hood, bumper cover, headlight, and fender. All new, OEM parts.
DDS2015 is offline   Canada
      02-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
MickeyKnoxx
The Lyrical Miracle

is OEM usually priced higher than aftermarket? I am brand new to BMW's and I used to drive a Cadillac CTS and I know anything OEM was probably about 2x more than aftermarket.
      03-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
MickeyKnoxx
The Lyrical Miracle

$9800 p&l after opening the hood...$4600 cosmetic p&l. Just if anybody was interested in knowing how it turned out.
Attached Images

08-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #13
Oharabrat
Registered

Drives: 2009 328i

Hello

I hope you get this to respond. I just purchased my BMW three weeks ago. 15 yr driving record shot as of yesterday.

Your accident is exact in speed and damage report.

My fan is coming on loudly and I'm very much worried about internal damage. Can you please tell me what was wrong on the inside of your BMW.

Any information would be great. I need something right now

Your car turned out great and I'm hoping for the same for me.

Thanks
      08-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #14
MickeyKnoxx
The Lyrical Miracle

As far as I understood, they replaced, the fan, the radiator, and all of the fan housing because the grill was pushed into all of the working parts. The total final cost was around $9k via insurance. It would have been more if my car was a different color. How loud is the fan...is it a clicking or a grinding when it first gets started, and right before it shuts off? That's pretty much how mine was and then over the course of a week while I was waiting to get estimates it got louder and louder and started running hot. Now everythings great...no issues and the work came with a lifetime warranty from the body shop
      08-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #15
SAAJALI
Enlisted Member

Drives: Alpine White With Black Int

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Hi ,

im new to this whole forum i had a few questions about the Mtech bumper.
I drive a 2007 bmw 328i coupe and i wanted to change the front bumper to the Mtech one iv gone to a few different forums on this website and saw that its much more complicated then just taking old one off and putting on new one. i just wanted to know if it was the exact same thing for the328i coupe ? most of them that i saw were 335i coupes. so if you can please help me out with some info and a good place to buy at a good price. im located in vancouver BC

i dont really know how to use this so if u could pm me
SAAJALI is offline   Canada