E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 3.46 Rear Diff from AT on 6MT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
RupertPupkin's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,534
Posts

 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

iTrader: (5)

3.46 Rear Diff from AT on 6MT

I have a 6MT 330i e90. Seems my rear is 3.15. Searching shiows people attempted to swap pumpkins but no one seems to have a definite answer for our platform. Yes, the 335 has had some swaps and LSD etc. Im looking to see what is necessary to swap a non LSD pumpkin from an Automatic to my car. My goal is a budget boost in low end acceleration. I dont track so LSD is both unnecessary, and out of my price I want to spend.


I have seen them go for $300 on Ebay. Curious if it is a direct swap, or a huge pain, etc.

I could care less if my car can hit 155. 99% of my driving is sub 100 and that is where I want to see the benefit.


Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
VirtuousWolf
Private First Class
3
Rep
144
Posts

 
Drives: 06 BMW 330i SP
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lubbock/Mission Texas

iTrader: (0)

Not sure on your question sorry But I can tell you that my auto diff can hit 155 easily, so I'm guessing you won't have to sacrifice top end speed

Also wouldn't the manual one be better? I mean the manual cars tend to be like .3 seconds or so faster to 60
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
RupertPupkin's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,534
Posts

 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

iTrader: (5)

Putting the AT rear diff in the MT allows for even quicker acceleration. It sacrifices top end speed. It all has to do with the gear ratios. Our gears are completely different. Thanks Though!



Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtuousWolf View Post
Not sure on your question sorry But I can tell you that my auto diff can hit 155 easily, so I'm guessing you won't have to sacrifice top end speed

Also wouldn't the manual one be better? I mean the manual cars tend to be like .3 seconds or so faster to 60
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Johnny D
Major
Johnny D's Avatar
19
Rep
1,124
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hot Springs, AR

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [4.58]
I remember reading two members did this or a similar swap. One was RichP and the other was ksfrogman or something. See if you can find them to PM them for more info.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
RupertPupkin's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,534
Posts

 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

iTrader: (5)

Great! Thanks for the heads up.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jntar View Post
I remember reading two members did this or a similar swap. One was RichP and the other was ksfrogman or something. See if you can find them to PM them for more info.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
redlinedbimmer
Private First Class
4
Rep
195
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328i 6 speed
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

the diffs work diff in the automatic and manual cars because the ratios in the transmissions are also different
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
redlinedbimmer
Private First Class
4
Rep
195
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328i 6 speed
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedbimmer View Post
the diffs work diff in the automatic and manual cars because the ratios in the transmissions are also different
in response to virtuous wolf
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
VirtuousWolf
Private First Class
3
Rep
144
Posts

 
Drives: 06 BMW 330i SP
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lubbock/Mission Texas

iTrader: (0)

Oh wow I learnt something new, so I can go over 155 in my auto, but if you put the same diff in a manual it will go slower?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #9
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
e90pilot's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,111
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA

iTrader: (3)

No, the top speed is governed electronically (149mph for ZSP cars). The diff just changes the final drive ratio. All that means is top speed in each gear will be slower but acceleration faster. You reach the vehicle's ultimate top speed before top gear in either case. Also the rpm for a given speed will higher in all gears. So cruising at 65mph will be around 3300rpm (I think) vs 2700rpm with the standard diff for 6mt cars. Not sure where the auto cruises at.
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #10
ladius
Private First Class
4
Rep
141
Posts

 
Drives: '06 bmw 330i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
No, the top speed is governed electronically (149mph for ZSP cars). The diff just changes the final drive ratio. All that means is top speed in each gear will be slower but acceleration faster. You reach the vehicle's ultimate top speed before top gear in either case. Also the rpm for a given speed will higher in all gears. So cruising at 65mph will be around 3300rpm (I think) vs 2700rpm with the standard diff for 6mt cars. Not sure where the auto cruises at.
great to know, thanks!

So sounds like for fuel economy, not so great. I would love the faster acceleration too but I drive a lot for work so I value fuel economy.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
VirtuousWolf
Private First Class
3
Rep
144
Posts

 
Drives: 06 BMW 330i SP
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lubbock/Mission Texas

iTrader: (0)

With zsp the limit is 155, in fact it goes past 155 because of "error" and goes faster than that if you delimit it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
BudVlad
Old Geezer
BudVlad's Avatar
Czech_Republic
47
Rep
1,002
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 N53B30
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Budweis

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 N53B30  [0.00]
I did the swap and I like it. I used 335i diff and I had to use 335i driveshaft because of the different coupling. At first in top gear BC showed to shift up. After a while it adopted and it doesnít do it anymore. My gas mileage is slightly worst.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
RupertPupkin's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,534
Posts

 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

iTrader: (5)

Thanks for the info! What did it end up costing you all said and done? Worth it for the improved acceleration?

What ratio did you end up with from the 335?






Quote:
Originally Posted by BudVlad View Post
I did the swap and I like it. I used 335i diff and I had to use 335i driveshaft because of the different coupling. At first in top gear BC showed to shift up. After a while it adopted and it doesn’t do it anymore. My gas mileage is slightly worst.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
BudVlad
Old Geezer
BudVlad's Avatar
Czech_Republic
47
Rep
1,002
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 N53B30
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Budweis

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 N53B30  [0.00]
The ratio is 3.46 and the acceleration is better. I didnít do any measurement before and after. I got the diff and driveshaft from a wrecker in Germany. I think I paid less than $500.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
RupertPupkin's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,534
Posts

 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

iTrader: (5)

Very cool Thank you!




Quote:
Originally Posted by BudVlad View Post
The ratio is 3.46 and the acceleration is better. I didnít do any measurement before and after. I got the diff and driveshaft from a wrecker in Germany. I think I paid less than $500.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #16
monza2t
Private First Class
monza2t's Avatar
1
Rep
161
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328i, R52 Mini, F25 X3 x35
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (0)

The lowest ratio is from a 328xi (E90) auto @ 3.91. The whole damn thing can be had for about $500.

Going from 3.15 to 3.91 will be a significant kick down low, BUT just remember that the final drive and the gear ratios are fine tuned, so there may be gear or two that seem to be oddly matched.
__________________
_____________________________________________
E90 328i Sport & Prem // R52 MINI S JCW // X3 x35i
62 Mini Cooper 997 // 62 Vespa // Laphroaig 30-yr
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #17
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
RupertPupkin's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,534
Posts

 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

iTrader: (5)

bump
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #18
driverman
Captain
United_States
8
Rep
605
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 328i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for starting this thread.

Changing the diff ratio is the best way to increase performance of our NA E9x, yet there aren't many threads on it.

We can significant increase performance without hurting reliability or increasing complexity. The whole drivetrain runs exactly as it was designed to except the diff sends more torque to the drive wheels.

The only downsides I can think of are cost, worse gas mileage and more engine noise while cruising on the highway.

I look forward to hearing from more enthusiasts that have done it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #19
StealYourFace
Major
United_States
16
Rep
1,197
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i sport
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Shakedown Street, Buffalo NY

iTrader: (1)

If you want to really make the car dance and get rid of the one wheel peel, check out Performance Gearing. For $2500 you can swap your oem unit with an LSD. I really like the 3.64 in mine. Plus the LSD helps with hallucinations... I mean makes autocross and driving in the snow a lot more fun
__________________
330i ~ BMW Perf. Susp. ~ M3 Front susp ~ BMW Perf Exhaust ~ 3.38 lsd ~ SF71 Alf CSL reps ~ Pilot Super Sports ~ AA Tune ~ 335is front brakes ~ over 150,000 miles hardly broken in! WTB: e93 M3 Front Sway Bar
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #20
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
RupertPupkin's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,534
Posts

 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

iTrader: (5)

Are you 6MT? That ratio seems wild. What rpm in 6th @80?


Edit: Just found your thread. Seems like maybe 3.64 is what I want....hmmmm


Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
If you want to really make the car dance and get rid of the one wheel peel, check out Performance Gearing. For $2500 you can swap your oem unit with an LSD. I really like the 3.64 in mine. Plus the LSD helps with hallucinations... I mean makes autocross and driving in the snow a lot more fun

Last edited by RupertPupkin; 08-16-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #21
StealYourFace
Major
United_States
16
Rep
1,197
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i sport
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Shakedown Street, Buffalo NY

iTrader: (1)

I'm not 6mt but my car is

It's pretty sweet, why say no when it feels so good to say yes?
__________________
330i ~ BMW Perf. Susp. ~ M3 Front susp ~ BMW Perf Exhaust ~ 3.38 lsd ~ SF71 Alf CSL reps ~ Pilot Super Sports ~ AA Tune ~ 335is front brakes ~ over 150,000 miles hardly broken in! WTB: e93 M3 Front Sway Bar
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #22
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
RupertPupkin's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,534
Posts

 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

iTrader: (5)

Haha cool. Sounds like a good diff to get. Appreciate the feedback.


My mind is telling me no.....but my body.....my body is telling me yeeeessss




Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
I'm not 6mt but my car is

It's pretty sweet, why say no when it feels so good to say yes?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
3.15, 3.46, 6mt, pumpkin, transmission

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST