E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Audi QS5 TDI



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
GreekboyD
Colonel
Canada
41

 
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada


Posts: 2,638
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [3.75]
SQ5

The 2013 SQ5 TDI will have a 0-60 time of 5.1 secs, 313 horses and 479 lb/ft of torque in a twin-turbo 3.0L V6 engine with an 8-speed transmission.

It will hit the US and Canada for sure.

More on it here:

http://www.torquenews.com/1083/2013-...y-expectations

Here is a one-minute video on it:

http://www.carmag.co.za/article/audi...ely-2012-06-18
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
GreekboyD
Colonel
Canada
41

 
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada


Posts: 2,638
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [3.75]
Title should say: SQ5

Here's another video with some actual driving from the SQ5 TDI:

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
76

 
cssnms's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland


Posts: 3,180
iTrader: (4)

Exhaust sounds awesome for a diesel and a hell of a lot better than the 335d. It will be interesting to see if the US emissions requirements puts a damper on that sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
jiaan13
uʍop ǝpısdn
0

 
Drives: '11 335d, SG/Saddle, ZSP, ZPP
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South bay area, NorCal


Posts: 59
iTrader: (0)

Droooool. Everything about that is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
GreekboyD
Colonel
Canada
41

 
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada


Posts: 2,638
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms
Exhaust sounds awesome for a diesel and a hell of a lot better than the 335d. It will be interesting to see if the US emissions requirements puts a damper on that sound.
I read this which was interesting:

Quote:
The V6 diesel, which generates power from 2,967 cc displacement, is designed as a twin-turbo unit; a flap joins the two turbochargers arranged in series. The cooling of the cylinder heads, control times and strokes of the intake camshafts, the pistons, their spray oil cooling and the piston rods have been adapted to the high-performance concept. The common rail system builds a pressure of up to 2,000 bar and can execute up to eight partial injections into the cylinders. A sound actuator in the exhaust system gives the twin-turbo-V6 a deep sonorous sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
76

 
cssnms's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland


Posts: 3,180
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
I read this which was interesting:
A "sound actuator" eah? I wonder what that is exactly... Sounds like a fancy name for a "speaker." It almost has an artificial sound to it esp in the cabin. I wonder if Audi is taking ques from BMW or Fisker via digitally produced exhaust sounds.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
GreekboyD
Colonel
Canada
41

 
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada


Posts: 2,638
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [3.75]
I think you're right. That's exactly what it probably is.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
OILPowered
Private
1

 
Drives: '11 335d
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Orange County, CA


Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

Hmm. The C&D story on the SQ5 says Audi won't be importing it stateside.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
Raja Ventureshield
Banned
United_States
83

 
Raja Ventureshield's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 coupe
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northern VA


Posts: 5,694
iTrader: (6)

will this make it to the usa at all?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #10
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
Puerto Rico
37

 
Puerto Rican 335d's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego Blue 335d
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Puerto Rico


Posts: 2,809
iTrader: (0)

As usual the BUROCRATS forbid us from having these excellent vehicles that is why I am voting for me this year!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
Thud
Throbbing Member
21

 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2008


Posts: 1,432
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
Title should say: SQ5

Here's another video with some actual driving from the SQ5 TDI:


I want that motor in an A6!
__________________
2011 335d / Deep Sea Blue / Saddle brown / sport / premium

Previous cars:
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
Thud
Throbbing Member
21

 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2008


Posts: 1,432
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
will this make it to the usa at all?
Audi's confirmed that there will be diesels available across their whole model line coming to the US, including the Q5.

I don't know if that means THIS 313hp motor.... but there will definitely be a Q5 diesel. According to Automobile magazine, the US will be getting the 245hp / 428tq version, which is still a great fit for that car.

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature..._2013_audi_q5/


If there's no replacement for the 335d in a few years my next car will likely be an Audi TDI. Maybe even the Q5. But for now the 335d beats the pants off any other diesel car you can get in the US.
__________________
2011 335d / Deep Sea Blue / Saddle brown / sport / premium

Previous cars:
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette

Last edited by Thud; 08-13-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #13
Raja Ventureshield
Banned
United_States
83

 
Raja Ventureshield's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 coupe
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northern VA


Posts: 5,694
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
Audi's confirmed that there will be diesels available across their whole model line coming to the US, including the Q5.

I don't know if that means THIS 313hp motor.... but there will definitely be a Q5 diesel. According to Automobile magazine, the US will be getting the 245hp / 428tq version, which is still a great fit for that car.

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature..._2013_audi_q5/


If there's no replacement for the 335d in a few years my next car will likely be an Audi TDI. Maybe even the Q5. But for now the 335d beats the pants off any other diesel car you can get in the US.
would love to see the a7 in diesel configuarion for sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #14
Alex.Devol
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
8

 
Alex.Devol's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E92 M-Sport LCI
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lancashire


Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms

A "sound actuator" eah? I wonder what that is exactly... Sounds like a fancy name for a "speaker." It almost has an artificial sound to it esp in the cabin. I wonder if Audi is taking ques from BMW or Fisker via digitally produced exhaust sounds.
It is indeed a fancy name for a tiny speaker. There is a video online somewhere explaining the development of it, like the m5 it was getting a lot of dissaproval but it works very well from the sound of things and I for one am jealous I don't have one in my exhaust! It will save a lot of customers money and hassle on aftermarket parts.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #15
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
10

 
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tampa, FL


Posts: 881
iTrader: (1)

I want the Audi v12 Diesel in that lil bugger! Or the Touareg v10 in a Tiguan.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #16
Thud
Throbbing Member
21

 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2008


Posts: 1,432
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.Devol View Post
It is indeed a fancy name for a tiny speaker. There is a video online somewhere explaining the development of it, like the m5 it was getting a lot of dissaproval but it works very well from the sound of things and I for one am jealous I don't have one in my exhaust! It will save a lot of customers money and hassle on aftermarket parts.

It sounds good from the video, but a bit phony. It's a V6 electronically enhanced to sound like a V8. Likewise, the M5 is enhanced to sound like a V10 (who would've thought that a twin turbo V8 would need artificial sound to make it sound good??)


The main difference is that BMW's active sound design pipes the sound through the speakers in the cabin, whereas Audi's version actually works on the exhaust system itself.
__________________
2011 335d / Deep Sea Blue / Saddle brown / sport / premium

Previous cars:
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST