E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Time for Action - OBD Theft



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #23
gaza01
Lieutenant Colonel
 
gaza01's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London

Posts: 1,938
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
Can I make a suggestion?

In no way undermining the OP's idea of an online petition, whilst it might generate a greater level of online interest a petition, will be remarkably easy for BMW to ignore.

If, however, you combine the signing of an electronic petition with a downloadable letter for people to add their name and address to it, spend a quid sending the letter recorded delivery, BMW will be forced to sit up and take notice when they have to employ someone full-time simply to sign for recorded delivery letters.

The petition can be used to give 'the cause' national interest (and use the web to increase its circulation) and use the letters to cause buggeration for BMW.

2,000 names on a piece of paper, especially online won't mean too much to them.
2,000 names on a piece of paper, along with 2,000 individual letters highlighting the same concern will be very difficult to ignore.
I was of the opinion that you could print out the online petition once its all signed up. I've only briefly looked at 2 petition websites but automatically assumed it was printable.
The thing to bear in mind is that I wasn't taking the view point that a mass petition to BMW would trigger any action, I was thinking a mass petition to the media would trigger action - i.e. they be embarrassed into sorting it out.

Notwithstanding the letter idea does sound good...attack from all sides!!!
gaza01 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #24
IanS100
Colonel
 
IanS100's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d LCI M Sport Plus
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southport UK

Posts: 2,596
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post
Well let see how it goes...no one has rung me back just yet.
Thing is we first need to understand what exactly does Thatcham 1 require for an alarm to achieve that category. If it means no access into the car without the alarm going off then BMW have misrepresented in their sales.
Bearing in mind that the e90 is now an obsolete model, I would think it unlikely that Thatcham could remove/revise a rating in the light of new technology, it was Thatcham 1 when sold new, end of. It doesn't necessarily follow however, that insurance companys will continue to recognise that T1 rating when faced with the the evidence of car theft numbers
IanS100 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #25
jonl1983
Lieutenant
 
Drives: F12 640d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Wales

Posts: 483
iTrader: (2)

Following from Thatcham on what constitues a class 1 device

All Thatcham category 1 alarms have basic features like; perimeter detection, ignition detection, passenger compartment movement detection or glass break and inclination detection, high security remotes, audible warning with battery back-up power supply

If that is the case then the BMW is not meeting these requirements as this is how the scum are getting into the cars?!?
jonl1983 is offline   Wales
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #26
sheps
Colonel
 
sheps's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 AMG
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cambs, UK

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to sheps
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
Bearing in mind that the e90 is now an obsolete model, I would think it unlikely that Thatcham could remove/revise a rating in the light of new technology, it was Thatcham 1 when sold new, end of. It doesn't necessarily follow however, that insurance companys will continue to recognise that T1 rating when faced with the the evidence of car theft numbers
E91, 2 and 3 are still current.
Not sure if this affects F10/F30?
Outgoing 1-er was affected (as per the, now infamous, 1M gone in 60 seconds) not sure if current 1er is affected?

This problem is far wider than the model-specific E90.
__________________
Gone but not forgotten:
325i M Sport (E92), Black Sapphire, Coral Red Dakota, 19" 225's, Seat Heating, 6FL and de-badge

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
sheps is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #27
zltm089
Major General
 
zltm089's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: LONDON

Posts: 7,385
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
I'm in...

get the forms out and i'll sign anything..
__________________

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
zltm089 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #28
IanS100
Colonel
 
IanS100's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d LCI M Sport Plus
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southport UK

Posts: 2,596
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
E91, 2 and 3 are still current.
Not sure if this affects F10/F30?
Outgoing 1-er was affected (as per the, now infamous, 1M gone in 60 seconds) not sure if current 1er is affected?

This problem is far wider than the model-specific E90.
I meant e9x but was also assuming that the e91, 2 & 3 would also now be out of production with new models either released or waiting in the wings
IanS100 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #29
sheps
Colonel
 
sheps's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 AMG
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cambs, UK

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to sheps
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
I meant e9x but was also assuming that the e91, 2 & 3 would also now be out of production with new models either released or waiting in the wings
Not sure that's the case; I think E91,92 and 93 still available via factory order. I would imagine that to be the case with the E92 for at least 6 months and at least 12 for the E93 - no replacements available as yet and I can't see BMW leaving themselves with an empty niche, especially ones that sell so well.
__________________
Gone but not forgotten:
325i M Sport (E92), Black Sapphire, Coral Red Dakota, 19" 225's, Seat Heating, 6FL and de-badge

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
sheps is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #30
parrp
Private First Class
 
parrp's Avatar
 
Drives: 3er
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Count me in for this, sheps has the idea. If we all send a recorded letter they won't be able to just ignore it.
parrp is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #31
Dirty Tool
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London

Posts: 212
iTrader: (0)

I spoke to a BMW tech today who services my car...he said BMW in the process of rolling out a software update that should stop this. He also mentioned he has moved the OBD ports and put an extra fuse in the circuit for a few of his customers.
Dirty Tool is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #32
yeti racing
Second Lieutenant
 
yeti racing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 330d M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Herts

Posts: 229
iTrader: (0)

How would you go about getting a software update when your car is no longer in warranty?
yeti racing is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #33
coopersim
Captain
 
coopersim's Avatar
 
Drives: VW Lupo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Berks

Posts: 775
iTrader: (2)

Recall maybe?
coopersim is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #34
F32Dude
-
 
Drives: F32
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

Posts: 1,512
iTrader: (0)

What is bloody obscene is that the OBD port is alive and active and provides this high level of access and control from an external device WHILST THE ALARM SYSTEM IS ACTIVE. Maybe this is what the software update will resolve. However, completely negligent that this would happen in the first place. Poor design.

And as already observed, is this for all cars irrespective of the warranty situation? BMW should do so as a matter of course to save some face.
F32Dude is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #35
gaza01
Lieutenant Colonel
 
gaza01's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London

Posts: 1,938
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonl1983 View Post
Following from Thatcham on what constitues a class 1 device

All Thatcham category 1 alarms have basic features like; perimeter detection, ignition detection, passenger compartment movement detection or glass break and inclination detection, high security remotes, audible warning with battery back-up power supply

If that is the case then the BMW is not meeting these requirements as this is how the scum are getting into the cars?!?
where exactly did you get this from exactly...their website?
Nice find in any event. Will prove useful.
gaza01 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #36
vblanche
Second Lieutenant
 
vblanche's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E91 alpina D3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bristol

Posts: 236
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius View Post
Count me in.
+1
__________________
2007 E91 Alpina D3
vblanche is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #37
vblanche
Second Lieutenant
 
vblanche's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E91 alpina D3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bristol

Posts: 236
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
Can I make a suggestion?

In no way undermining the OP's idea of an online petition, whilst it might generate a greater level of online interest a petition, will be remarkably easy for BMW to ignore.

If, however, you combine the signing of an electronic petition with a downloadable letter for people to add their name and address to it, spend a quid sending the letter recorded delivery, BMW will be forced to sit up and take notice when they have to employ someone full-time simply to sign for recorded delivery letters.

The petition can be used to give 'the cause' national interest (and use the web to increase its circulation) and use the letters to cause buggeration for BMW.

2,000 names on a piece of paper, especially online won't mean too much to them.
2,000 names on a piece of paper, along with 2,000 individual letters highlighting the same concern will be very difficult to ignore.
+1
__________________
2007 E91 Alpina D3
vblanche is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #38
NavG
Private
 
Drives: E92 325d M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Berkshire

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

im in
NavG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #39
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 7,087
iTrader: (48)

Count me in as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
Follow BMW on Facebook and twitter. Tag in as many post as possible until their media dept take note and push up the chain.

Also worth posting this in the USA section. They seem to get courts to force BMW NA to take action.

Contact senior BMW execs - get their details through LinkedIn..
Valid points made by Phil.

I guess we should share responsibilities.
One should start with e-petition.
One with paper if require.
One to start on Pistonhead, one on Facebook, and so on.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #40
fulcrum
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 330 M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London

Posts: 437
iTrader: (0)

I am in.
fulcrum is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #41
zltm089
Major General
 
zltm089's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: LONDON

Posts: 7,385
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
The mods need to get those OBD thefts threads stickied on here!
__________________

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
zltm089 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #42
Billyray911
Colonel
 
Billyray911's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d Msport,touring
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mind your own business...no,really.

Posts: 2,684
iTrader: (6)

Hope you don't mind,but I've now posted a link to this thread onto the main Pistonheads thread.
Billyray911 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #43
CMOS II
Registered
 
Drives: 320D M Sport - Now Vanished!
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: A Royal Town

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

I'm in! Just come over from Pistonheads.

I have some CCTV also.
CMOS II is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #44
CMOS II
Registered
 
Drives: 320D M Sport - Now Vanished!
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: A Royal Town

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

Also - those of you who are Twitter or Facebook users, gavinward is getting some stick over this. He is the Media Relations Manager at BMW GB.
CMOS II is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST