E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > K&N Air Filter $39.63 on Amazon



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
Fresh330
It is what it is
 
Fresh330's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 330xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central NJ

Posts: 300
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Thumbs up K&N Air Filter $39.63 on Amazon

Hi all,

Just an FYI for anyone looking for a drop in air filter replacement. Amazon.com is selling the K&N #33-2332 High Performance Replacement Air Filter for $39.63. It's eligible for free 2 day shipping if you have Amazon Prime (highly recommended and free for a year if you're a student).

http://amzn.com/B000E5W9PA

My '06 330xi is about to turn 50K miles. I figured it was time to replace the air filter.

Enjoy!
__________________
e90 | LUX 5.0 | Blacklines | 20% Tint | Sirius
Fresh330 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
mentos876
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 06' BMW e90
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 260
iTrader: (1)

hmm this is a good price, i think my local autozone is asking 59$ +tax
mentos876 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
branmace
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SLC, UT

Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

Fresh330...I was searching the web to find the best price for this filter...Thanks Fresh330, you couldn't have come at a better time. The price is awesome, you can't find this filter for under $40 and free shipping...

People, get on this deal!!!!
branmace is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
N0OS3
Colonel
 
N0OS3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oak Harbor, WA

Posts: 2,219
iTrader: (5)

I'm currently running an aFe Stage 2 (open box) air intake... you guys think it would be better to throw my stock intake box back on there and throw a K&N filter in there and take out the charcoal filter?
Right now, i'm not seeing any gains in power or whatever but it makes my engine louder and it's helping me out with +2 mpg...

My thoughts... since i have RPI scoops, i'm thinking some of the rammed air is dissipated to other parts of the engine bay and not forced into the intake itself. With this, i'm thinking a stock intake box would receive more air from the scoops. K&N filter is good flow and taking the charcoal filter out just means less restriction... (kind of like the charcoal "brita" filter in your sink... it's still water and it's still drinkable without the filter, but it tastes better)
__________________
WTB: 3 Stage Intake Manifold and components - PM me your asking price.
N0OS3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
branmace
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SLC, UT

Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lync9763 View Post
I'm currently running an aFe Stage 2 (open box) air intake... you guys think it would be better to throw my stock intake box back on there and throw a K&N filter in there and take out the charcoal filter?
Right now, i'm not seeing any gains in power or whatever but it makes my engine louder and it's helping me out with +2 mpg...

My thoughts... since i have RPI scoops, i'm thinking some of the rammed air is dissipated to other parts of the engine bay and not forced into the intake itself. With this, i'm thinking a stock intake box would receive more air from the scoops. K&N filter is good flow and taking the charcoal filter out just means less restriction... (kind of like the charcoal "brita" filter in your sink... it's still water and it's still drinkable without the filter, but it tastes better)
I can't emphasize enough about this, but I've done plenty of research on aFe's, injen's, fujita's, aem's (the cost effective ones, of course)...the verdict, you don't get squat what they are claiming...not on a I6 NA, only V8 and FI engines. Therefore, your thoughts are right on the money!!!!! Your aFe is only good in cooling the rest of your engine bay, as you already know, not all of your air is getting in your engine.
The enclosed system is the best for the E90 NA, hence the bmw PI (too pricey but good looking; but you do get more air volume i.e. flow that is pressurized into the plenum and additional air pick up from underneath the windshield area), the dinan ram air intake (gets you more ram air from the break cooling vents up front), gruppeM (same thing as bmw PI, not sure about additional air pick up), the EURO OEM box (more air volume than the US OEM box and my favorite from all of the above in terms of cost/gains/satisfaction/fun)....and you already have scoops that take care of ram air directed entirely into your box and not your engine bay. I do share the same passion as BMW engineers "efficient dynamics", getting the ultimate in the most efficient way... Hope this helps.

Now, if someone can only tell me if they have tried a BMW PI w/dinan ram air intake, I think this is the sweetest set up (it may require a tune if the engine is running to lean to balance out).
branmace is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Cir14
Private First Class
 
Drives: 07 328xi Montego Blue Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ambler pa

Posts: 100
iTrader: (0)

K & N Filter replacement causing rough Idle?

Has anyone experienced any issues with the oil from the filter ruining their MAF sensor or causing rough idle start-up issues? I recently changed my air filter (78K and I figured it wouldnt hurt to replace. While I was @ it I bought a K & N replacement which I was thinking was of better quality than the stock paper.

Anyone have any input or experienced similar issues?
Cir14 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Johnny D
Major
 
Johnny D's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hot Springs, AR

Posts: 1,124
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [4.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cir14 View Post
Has anyone experienced any issues with the oil from the filter ruining their MAF sensor or causing rough idle start-up issues? I recently changed my air filter (78K and I figured it wouldnt hurt to replace. While I was @ it I bought a K & N replacement which I was thinking was of better quality than the stock paper.

Anyone have any input or experienced similar issues?
I had an issue with this. I ended up buying some CRC MAF cleaner and it solved the issue. Just dont touch the sensor before, during or after cleaning.
__________________
Johnny D is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
DimSum
Banned
 
Drives: SLOW
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LITTLEBIMMER.COM

Posts: 2,743
iTrader: (10)

amazon jacked up their prices. fook.
DimSum is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
Cir14
Private First Class
 
Drives: 07 328xi Montego Blue Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ambler pa

Posts: 100
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny D View Post
I had an issue with this. I ended up buying some CRC MAF cleaner and it solved the issue. Just dont touch the sensor before, during or after cleaning.
Johnny D,
Many thanks for the reply. Is this something that you had to do frequently? Did you experience a SES light? I have a service appointment tomorrow and was thinking of maybe removing the K & N replacement filter and putting the original dirty one back in (cant believe I said that) but don't want them to say that I need a replacement MAF due to the oiled filter issue. Thoughts?
Cir14 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
Route 16
I got lei'd
 
Route 16's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 E90 328i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BayArea

Posts: 4,190
iTrader: (25)

I'll sell my k&n filter for $35.00, unused since I'm using my OEM paper filter just no k&n box.
Route 16 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
Neutrino45
Major
 
Neutrino45's Avatar
 
Drives: XXX
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: milky way

Posts: 1,446
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post
amazon jacked up their prices. fook.
$38.81 - get free shipping if your purchase is over $50 - http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/kn-unique-33-2332/
__________________
Neutrino45 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
Johnny D
Major
 
Johnny D's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hot Springs, AR

Posts: 1,124
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [4.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cir14 View Post
Johnny D,
Many thanks for the reply. Is this something that you had to do frequently? Did you experience a SES light? I have a service appointment tomorrow and was thinking of maybe removing the K & N replacement filter and putting the original dirty one back in (cant believe I said that) but don't want them to say that I need a replacement MAF due to the oiled filter issue. Thoughts?
I only had to do the cleaning process once. However, it is good to clean the MAF sensor every few months.

You may have already gone to your appointment, but I wouldn't worry about putting the stock filter back in. I would simply clean the MAF before you go in, or if you're under warranty ask the dealer to clean it.
__________________
Johnny D is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
benzo23
Colonel
 
benzo23's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: FL

Posts: 2,886
iTrader: (1)

paper filter is all i use now i cant tell a difference, plus re oiling made me nervous
benzo23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST