E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > HELP! KWV1 spun down still has gap!!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #23
ZhengHai
Lieutenant
13

 
ZhengHai's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: AV, California


Posts: 468
iTrader: (0)

Here are a few pictures that i took today as she sits.







Spun all the way down..
__________________

Last edited by ZhengHai; 09-01-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #24
LocDawgg
Captain
34

 
Drives: AW e90
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida


Posts: 818
iTrader: (5)

Check if the actual strut is sitting firmly and flush in the knuckle. It might be that. The strut should sit all the way down in the knuckle. I am much lower then that on my sonic tuning and im not even close to max
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #25
ZhengHai
Lieutenant
13

 
ZhengHai's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: AV, California


Posts: 468
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDawgg View Post
Check if the actual strut is sitting firmly and flush in the knuckle. It might be that. The strut should sit all the way down in the knuckle. I am much lower then that on my sonic tuning and im not even close to max
I'll have to check again. But i remember specifically we had to turn it so the knuckle slid all the way down in the strut.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:26 AM   #26
giaolong
Second Lieutenant
5

 
giaolong's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335xi, Genesis, IS300
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, VA


Posts: 271
iTrader: (2)

Remove the bump stop. That is the reason and we are just debating on everything else for no reason.
__________________
09 BMW 335xi e92
-KW-M6 Wheels-Toyo-Mtech-RSD-
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #27
skylineguv
Second Lieutenant
Canada
7

 
Drives: 2015 Macan Turbo, Jet Black
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada


Posts: 272
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by giaolong View Post
Remove the bump stop. That is the reason and we are just debating on everything else for no reason.
^This.....or at least remove the STOCK bump stop and use the one supplied by KW.
My wife's car sits at about that height with the collar sat at 15 turns from the bottom.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #28
335_MI6
Colonel
63

 
335_MI6's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DC/MIAMI/LONDON


Posts: 2,223
iTrader: (2)

you cant even put a finger in the rear, even if you try.... the front you can but you have to squeeze a finger in. This is about half way down on my v3... this picture is hard to see anything but its on a hill so it looks like i have more wheel gap then normal.
Attached Images
  
__________________

Spiike32: "I remember seeing your photoshoot pics with an M3 and was inspired to continue modding to make it look as clean as yours. "
Epacy2: "335=M3?"
THE TECH: "Only 335 guys think so."
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #29
ZhengHai
Lieutenant
13

 
ZhengHai's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: AV, California


Posts: 468
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by giaolong View Post
Remove the bump stop. That is the reason and we are just debating on everything else for no reason.
Thanks giaolong. Seems like you're the only one with faith set in my bump stops.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #30
ZhengHai
Lieutenant
13

 
ZhengHai's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: AV, California


Posts: 468
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylineguv View Post
^This.....or at least remove the STOCK bump stop and use the one supplied by KW.
My wife's car sits at about that height with the collar sat at 15 turns from the bottom.
Im pretty sure I dont have the stock bump stops and instead i did use KW bump stops.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #31
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
20

 
ajsalida's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA


Posts: 1,697
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by giaolong View Post
Remove the bump stop. That is the reason and we are just debating on everything else for no reason.
Please don't do this, bump stops are there for a reason.

I am wondering if perhaps the issue is the OP has 328xi and all the other people have 335xi? 335xi has more weight on the front but the K1 part # is the same for both models. So I would expect it to sit a bit higher for the same thread height setting than a 335.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #32
ZhengHai
Lieutenant
13

 
ZhengHai's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: AV, California


Posts: 468
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Please don't do this, bump stops are there for a reason.

I am wondering if perhaps the issue is the OP has 328xi and all the other people have 335xi? 335xi has more weight on the front but the K1 part # is the same for both models. So I would expect it to sit a bit higher for the same thread height setting than a 335.
Do you think maybe somehow i got the wrong coilovers?? Do you know what are the part numbers for XI models?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 05:17 AM   #33
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
20

 
ajsalida's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA


Posts: 1,697
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhengHai View Post
Do you think maybe somehow i got the wrong coilovers?? Do you know what are the part numbers for XI models?
No there was only one V1 part number for all Xi's. It is in the KW online catalog. If you look at other manuf. springs for 328 vs 335 they are usually different pn's, so I think KW just assumes the adjustable ride height feature can compensate for different weights. After all main (traditional) use of coil-overs is to precisely corner weight a car, not so much to make it look slammed though many just want that.

As for the bump stops they are there to prevent expensive metal parts from smashing into each other at high speeds when the suspension bottoms out.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 03:04 AM   #34
giaolong
Second Lieutenant
5

 
giaolong's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335xi, Genesis, IS300
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, VA


Posts: 271
iTrader: (2)

Haha, i said remove the Bump Stops just to prove that is what keeping him from going any lower. After u see my point, put them back in as u please.

I have bump stops on mine still, it just that i cut it by half.
__________________
09 BMW 335xi e92
-KW-M6 Wheels-Toyo-Mtech-RSD-
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #35
ZhengHai
Lieutenant
13

 
ZhengHai's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: AV, California


Posts: 468
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
No there was only one V1 part number for all Xi's. It is in the KW online catalog. If you look at other manuf. springs for 328 vs 335 they are usually different pn's, so I think KW just assumes the adjustable ride height feature can compensate for different weights. After all main (traditional) use of coil-overs is to precisely corner weight a car, not so much to make it look slammed though many just want that.

As for the bump stops they are there to prevent expensive metal parts from smashing into each other at high speeds when the suspension bottoms out.
Something just doesnt seem right. I would think you would have threads on the bottom half of the strut so that in case you want the "slammed" look you still have threads left. But in my case I have extra threads on top in case I wanna go off roading.

Btw i raised my car up and put my 16 inch stockers for storage and raised it up 1 inch and 1/4. Still not half way up the threads and i have a 4 1/2 finger gap now..
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #36
335xi Kevo
Lieutenant
17

 
335xi Kevo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CT


Posts: 502
iTrader: (3)

I'm too about that height, with half the length of threads left. Maybe 12 remain.

-Kevin
__________________
08' 335xi 6MT
Space Metallic Grey
Premium, Nav, Cold weather, Sport
Procede 2.5, DCI, Forge DV, PWM, Scoops, KW V1, ETS 5" FMIC, VRSF Downpipes, M3 Skirts
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #37
Tim603
Major
United_States
33

 
Drives: 2007 335i E90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Canton, OH


Posts: 1,023
iTrader: (3)

Wow this seriously makes me reconsider getting kw v1s. I also have a 07 328xi, its the coupe though. Hope you get it figured out zhenghai
__________________
Just picked up an E90 07 335

Bone stock.....for now
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 02:42 AM   #38
ZhengHai
Lieutenant
13

 
ZhengHai's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: AV, California


Posts: 468
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Kevo View Post
I'm too about that height, with half the length of threads left. Maybe 12 remain.

-Kevin
Have you tried going lower?? When I was spun all the way down I raised it up about half an inch. and my car still sat the same as if I was still spun all the way down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim603 View Post
Wow this seriously makes me reconsider getting kw v1s. I also have a 07 328xi, its the coupe though. Hope you get it figured out zhenghai
Maybe I got a bad batch or something?? Ill end up taking it to a reputable shop and have them look at it. Shops here in Alaska were quoting me $800+ on coil install. Basically $125- $150 an hour.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #39
PSUSMU
Captain
23

 
Drives: Entry-level Luxury
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Falls Church, VA


Posts: 812
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhengHai View Post
Have you tried going lower?? When I was spun all the way down I raised it up about half an inch. and my car still sat the same as if I was still spun all the way down.



Maybe I got a bad batch or something?? Ill end up taking it to a reputable shop and have them look at it. Shops here in Alaska were quoting me $800+ on coil install. Basically $125- $150 an hour.
It's a 3-4hr DIY job.. I charge $250 for locals.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #40
avenger2540
First Lieutenant
United_States
18

 
avenger2540's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 F30 335i Xdrive
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: boston


Posts: 398
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Maybe I got a bad batch or something?? Ill end up taking it to a reputable shop and have them look at it. Shops here in Alaska were quoting me $800+ on coil install. Basically $125- $150 an hour.[/quote]

What they say?
__________________
09 e92 335xi Alpine White, Saddle Interior, Sport pkg, Cold pkg, Comfort pkg, Premium pkg, Adactive Headlights, Black Kidney Grill, M3front, Mtech rear, M3side skirts, CF Performance spoiler, Kw v1, 19" M6 Replicas Hankook Ventus v12 evo...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 04:53 AM   #41
ZhengHai
Lieutenant
13

 
ZhengHai's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: AV, California


Posts: 468
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
It's a 3-4hr DIY job.. I charge $250 for locals.
I did the install my self. I wasnt going to pay $800+ here in Alaska. I would even be glad to pay you $250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger2540 View Post
What they say?
I havent asked. My cars in storage at the moment.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #42
Laguna3
E90 NOOB
Canada
6

 
Drives: N55 E92 Msport
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 905


Posts: 260
iTrader: (0)

Maybe it is bottomed out. Strange.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #43
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
49

 
AWD Addict's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston


Posts: 2,483
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Don't remove your bump stops.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 02:40 AM   #44
ZhengHai
Lieutenant
13

 
ZhengHai's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: AV, California


Posts: 468
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna3 View Post
Maybe it is bottomed out. Strange.
It seems like it is.. damnit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Don't remove your bump stops.
I havent.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST