E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Anyone driven a 2012 300 SRT8?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #1
HecticX5
FULLY!
 
Drives: Torqueasaurus
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 326
iTrader: (0)

Anyone driven a 2012 300 SRT8?

Need opinions on this car and who better to ask then you folk in the U.S, i like the styling and Australian spec SRT8 comes with a lot of standard gear, in fact too much. The only options available were red leather with stitching and sunroof, the rest of the tech is standard.

Have any of you driven it? Issues that you may know of? I will join a forum later on down the track but i thought maybe there might have been a few of you that have bought one or have test driven one.
HecticX5 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
Ammonia
Captain
 
Ammonia's Avatar
 
Drives: n54 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fayetteville, NC

Posts: 738
iTrader: (4)

Its a good car, alot of performance for such a large car. A sort of cheaper, less powerful M5 with a muscle car background. 470hp, 470tq, not sure what it is to the wheels but its more than enough to make it pretty fun. Its not a Miata, dont expect to whip it around any corners.

I've driven many of them because I sell them haha. I prefer coupes myself, but if I HAD to get a sedan, the SRT8 would be the one. No issues that I know of. Maybe too much technology. Theres some ridiculous stuff packed in there that a normal person wouldn't even consider using, like that adaptive cruise control or chilled cup holders, or the voice-to-text feature. Btw the voice recognition will probably cause you to tear your hair out while it learns your speech patterns. So I guess thats a issue haha.
__________________

Mods: JB4 | Berk Race Axel-Back | VSRF DPs | BMS DCI | CM Meth + CMGS Controller | Stett CP | Tial BOV | RR Scoops | BMS LED AE | Matte Grills | 10% Tint | M Pedals | Blackline LCI | CSR Eyelids | Amber Overlays | Rear OEM Flaps | Seibon GTR Hood | Painted Spoiler | H-Style Front Lip | VMR V701s
Ammonia is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
HecticX5
FULLY!
 
Drives: Torqueasaurus
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 326
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonia View Post
Its a good car, alot of performance for such a large car. A sort of cheaper, less powerful M5 with a muscle car background. 470hp, 470tq, not sure what it is to the wheels but its more than enough to make it pretty fun. Its not a Miata, dont expect to whip it around any corners.

I've driven many of them because I sell them haha. I prefer coupes myself, but if I HAD to get a sedan, the SRT8 would be the one. No issues that I know of. Maybe too much technology. Theres some ridiculous stuff packed in there that a normal person wouldn't even consider using, like that adaptive cruise control or chilled cup holders, or the voice-to-text feature. Btw the voice recognition will probably cause you to tear your hair out while it learns your speech patterns. So I guess thats a issue haha.
Thanks for your input mate, i wasn't expecting the car to be a go-kart but a luxury bruiser more so. The 5 speed transmission is a bit of a let down? I heard rumours of a new transmission soon?
HecticX5 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
 
Drives: CTS-V
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 432
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HecticX5 View Post
Thanks for your input mate, i wasn't expecting the car to be a go-kart but a luxury bruiser more so. The 5 speed transmission is a bit of a let down? I heard rumours of a new transmission soon?
I wouldn't be surprised if it gets MB's 8 speed auto at some point soon.
son_of_siggy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
CAPSGOD
Major
 
Drives: Diesel Son
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: #yolo

Posts: 1,136
iTrader: (0)

It will get the ZF 8AT that's shared with BMW & Audi. They put it in the Hemi Ram so it should just be a matter of time for the 300.
CAPSGOD is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
HecticX5
FULLY!
 
Drives: Torqueasaurus
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 326
iTrader: (0)

Thanks fellas, in other words just wait it out.
HecticX5 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
spenta
Enlisted Member
 
spenta's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i Xdrive
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Randolph, NJ

Posts: 47
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Why not a holden commodore or a falcon? I really wish we could have those cars here in the states.
spenta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Ammonia
Captain
 
Ammonia's Avatar
 
Drives: n54 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fayetteville, NC

Posts: 738
iTrader: (4)

Yea. We have the 8 speed for our V6 chargers already, so I guess its a matter of time for the 5.7 and 6.4/392
__________________

Mods: JB4 | Berk Race Axel-Back | VSRF DPs | BMS DCI | CM Meth + CMGS Controller | Stett CP | Tial BOV | RR Scoops | BMS LED AE | Matte Grills | 10% Tint | M Pedals | Blackline LCI | CSR Eyelids | Amber Overlays | Rear OEM Flaps | Seibon GTR Hood | Painted Spoiler | H-Style Front Lip | VMR V701s
Ammonia is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
HecticX5
FULLY!
 
Drives: Torqueasaurus
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 326
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenta View Post
Why not a holden commodore or a falcon? I really wish we could have those cars here in the states.
They are more inferior in build quality compared to the new 300. The tech alone in the new 300 is more then enough for you to forget about the Ford and Holdens.
HecticX5 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
spenta
Enlisted Member
 
spenta's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i Xdrive
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Randolph, NJ

Posts: 47
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HecticX5 View Post
They are more inferior in build quality compared to the new 300. The tech alone in the new 300 is more then enough for you to forget about the Ford and Holdens.
Gotcha. I have a relative that lives in OZ and he was telling me that you guys pay almost 3 times the amount we pay for the same car. How much does an 300 srt8 go for out there?
spenta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #11
HecticX5
FULLY!
 
Drives: Torqueasaurus
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 326
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenta View Post
Gotcha. I have a relative that lives in OZ and he was telling me that you guys pay almost 3 times the amount we pay for the same car. How much does an 300 srt8 go for out there?
Nearly, depends on the make. Porsche Australia takes out the lube when they inform the customers of there prices. The new SRT8 is 74k and with the two options as mentioned in my first post it is 78k. Just to give you guys an understanding, the F30 335 sports pack is 108k and comes with a fair bit of standard kit. The SRT8 can realistically be had at 67-68k with some negotiating, whats a fully optioned SRT8 cost in the States?
HecticX5 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #12
spenta
Enlisted Member
 
spenta's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i Xdrive
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Randolph, NJ

Posts: 47
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HecticX5 View Post
Nearly, depends on the make. Porsche Australia takes out the lube when they inform the customers of there prices. The new SRT8 is 74k and with the two options as mentioned in my first post it is 78k. Just to give you guys an understanding, the F30 335 sports pack is 108k and comes with a fair bit of standard kit. The SRT8 can realistically be had at 67-68k with some negotiating, whats a fully optioned SRT8 cost in the States?
I was just at the Chrysler dealership this morning and fully loaded it comes out to 58k.
spenta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #13
HecticX5
FULLY!
 
Drives: Torqueasaurus
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 326
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenta View Post
I was just at the Chrysler dealership this morning and fully loaded it comes out to 58k.
Thats about the same price as a 335 in the States yeah? If i can get the new SRT8 for 68k i'll be happy.
HecticX5 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
 
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 4,765
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenta View Post
I was just at the Chrysler dealership this morning and fully loaded it comes out to 58k.
Yeah... I'll get right on that
__________________
Stop putting stuff like painted reflectors and premium package in your signature. You're embarrassing.
TK-421 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST