E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Another Car stolen! DO SOMETHING ABOUT YOURS TODAY!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #67
NJ 1161
Major
 
NJ 1161's Avatar
 
Drives: 335D M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (0)

Op- hope it all gets sorted without to much hassle.

Regarding dummy ports, are these available from BMW or best source or price?
__________________
NJ 1161 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #68
fulcrum
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 330 M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London

Posts: 437
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ 1161 View Post
Op- hope it all gets sorted without to much hassle.

Regarding dummy ports, are these available from BMW or best source or price?
Cost me 3.80 from a dealer

E92 LCI
fulcrum is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #69
NJ 1161
Major
 
NJ 1161's Avatar
 
Drives: 335D M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for info!
__________________
NJ 1161 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #70
a11y
Second Lieutenant
 
a11y's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Scotland

Posts: 278
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vblanche View Post


Now e-mailed...
__________________
BMW e90 330i M Sport
a11y is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #71
J44KPR
Private
 
Drives: BMW E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: London

Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

Knew about this before I bought mine, seems to be a lot more people affected than I first thought, I thought about a steering wheel lock as they can steal it but not drive it far, but then surely they could just see what brand I am using and find a master key?

best bet is to get my other car and park it right infront so it's not going anywhere haha!
J44KPR is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #72
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
 
TripleBlack's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London

Posts: 316
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J44KPR View Post
Knew about this before I bought mine, seems to be a lot more people affected than I first thought, I thought about a steering wheel lock as they can steal it but not drive it far, but then surely they could just see what brand I am using and find a master key?

best bet is to get my other car and park it right infront so it's not going anywhere haha!
Paint it jet black or bright red with a florescent strip or cross in the middle, the point being to remove any form of brand identification on the lock.
TripleBlack is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #73
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
 
TripleBlack's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London

Posts: 316
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcrum View Post
Cost me 3.80 from a dealer

E92 LCI
Which dealership was this? or What part code is it, if you still have the packaging by any chance.

Just went to my local and I was told its not possible to get one "As it comes securely attached to each car"
I'd love to go back to him and correct him with a part code.
TripleBlack is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #74
Hotcoupe
Major General
 
Hotcoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: Don't know yet!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 6,095
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
What purpose does fitting a dummy port serve?
__________________
=================================


Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Hotcoupe is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #75
-TARBY-
Private First Class
 
-TARBY-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 07 330d M Sport Saloon 6 Speed
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Orpington

Posts: 159
iTrader: (0)

If you fit a dummy port the f@ckwits will plug their oBD cloner/dodgy gadget into the dummy port and it won't work... Hopefully it would throw them off the scent... Good idea. Can you post the part number etc here as Triple Black has asked.

Tarbs
__________________
2007(07) : e90 - 330d - M Sport - Saloon - 6 Speed
-TARBY- is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #76
DaveB
New Member
 
Drives: 335i Touring
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: East Midlands

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

Really sorry to hear about this. As has been said before, BMW need to start feeling the pain for this. We are the ones being ripped off!

They wouldn't like it if the unscrupulous youths did it to a whole dealership - not even nicking the cars just re-arranging them on the forecourt to make the point. BMW might start to take note when it starts to affect them directly.

Footnote: For legal reasons I do not condone this suggestion. Just merely made the point for effect.
DaveB is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #77
fulcrum
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 330 M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London

Posts: 437
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TARBY- View Post
If you fit a dummy port the f@ckwits will plug their oBD cloner/dodgy gadget into the dummy port and it won't work... Hopefully it would throw them off the scent... Good idea. Can you post the part number etc here as Triple Black has asked.

Tarbs
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=61&fg=15&hl=7

E92 is 5

E90 is 2 I think

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=651231&page=3

Post 47 for a photo from Shortie of part 2 6113 6931 908
fulcrum is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #78
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
 
TripleBlack's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London

Posts: 316
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by -TARBY- View Post
If you fit a dummy port the f@ckwits will plug their oBD cloner/dodgy gadget into the dummy port and it won't work... Hopefully it would throw them off the scent... Good idea. Can you post the part number etc here as Triple Black has asked.

Tarbs
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...fg=15&hl=7

E92 is 5

E90 is 2 I think

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...231&page=3

Post 47 for a photo from Shortie of part 2 6113 6931 908
Thanks. That's the link I just found too.

So what's part number 7 for then? I'll be having a look at my port tonight in prep for the delivery of the 10m extension cable.

Having a dummy port may seem pointless if you're moving the original but I think making the twocers hang about just a little bit long can contribute to them setting the alarm off or getting spotted. Also it may make them doubt their device even works any more.


Just came to mind, I read on here that car interiors don't hold finger prints like they used to. Can't tweaking material of the the OBD cover help to catch their finger prints for the police?
I mean either replace it with a similar designed plastic or coat it in vanish so a print can easily be pulled off it. Just an idea. What do you think?

Either way I'll be going back to my local dealership to have a word with 'Mr Buckteeth shirt and tie' about wasting my time.
Thanks.
TripleBlack is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #79
fulcrum
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 330 M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London

Posts: 437
iTrader: (0)

10M!!!!!

Are you going to wrap it around the car twice?

Assume you meant 1m
fulcrum is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #80
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,076
iTrader: (37)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
What purpose does fitting a dummy port serve?

Spot on mate. That is what I think.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlack View Post
Which dealership was this? or What part code is it, if you still have the packaging by any chance.

Just went to my local and I was told its not possible to get one "As it comes securely attached to each car"
I'd love to go back to him and correct him with a part code.
You are gutted as dealers wasted your time.

Now think same for those bastards who (I hope never) will try to steal your car.

If there is no OBD port, they will say nasty words to praise your work and move on.
However if there is dummy port and they try to start programming their key and after 1-2 attempts if they find 'SHIT, something is wrong with this car, or this owner has disabled obd port', they will become angry and may harm your car physically to take 'REVENGE', since you wasted their precious time.

That 'Revenge' can be deep scratch on your car, another windows smashed, airbag stolen, or something else.



I would simply suggest to relocate the OBD port with addition of clear visual signs for OBD port disabled.

HTH.
__________________
<img src=http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii559/makkan00/New-6_zpscbec0353.jpg border=0 alt= />
RETROFITS: LCI Conversion - LCI Xenons - LCI Tail lights - Memory heated seats
- Folding mirrors with auto-dip - CIC DAB Plus - Combox - 6FL - 6NF - 6NR - BMW
live & Internet MODS: Eibach Sportsline - AluFelgens CS7 - MS-8 - SWS-8 - Gladen
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #81
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
 
TripleBlack's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London

Posts: 316
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcrum View Post
10M!!!!!

Are you going to wrap it around the car twice?

Assume you meant 1m
nah, 10m someone on here pointed it out on ebay, here

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post

You are gutted as dealers wasted your time.

Now think same for those bastards who (I hope never) will try to steal your car.

If there is no OBD port, they will say nasty words to praise your work and move on.
However if there is dummy port and they try to start programming their key and after 1-2 attempts if they find 'SHIT, something is wrong with this car, or this owner has disabled obd port', they will become angry and may harm your car physically to take 'REVENGE', since you wasted their precious time.

That 'Revenge' can be deep scratch on your car, another windows smashed, airbag stolen, or something else.



I would simply suggest to relocate the OBD port with addition of clear visual signs for OBD port disabled.

HTH.
Which could still end in the same result, but I understand the point you're making.

And the issue with the dealership is that I'm sure something else was going through his mind than trying to find the part.
TripleBlack is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #82
coopersim
Captain
 
coopersim's Avatar
 
Drives: VW Lupo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Berks

Posts: 775
iTrader: (2)

I've ordered one, and had the idea to put 12v through all the pins, thoughts? Obviously, I would have to make totally sure BMW were aware it was a dummy port otherwise it might fry their computer!
coopersim is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-05-2012, 05:24 AM   #83
MEGA
Dieseasal
 
MEGA's Avatar
 
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Harrow, London

Posts: 6,805
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to MEGA
Just double checking this is correct cable ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3m-10-ft-O...item2321f54eae
__________________
Previously: 2003 Peugeot 206 1.6 8v | 2006 E90 320d M-Sport, 19" BBS CH, Full Ice-cold JL audio install, August 2010 Total BMW 6 page feature car. | 2003 Nissan 350Z GT Coupe 286BHP
Now:2010 E92 LCI 335d M-Sport
MEGA is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-05-2012, 05:30 AM   #84
Frobius
Captain
 
Frobius's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330d M-Sport / E87 118d SE
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntingdon, UK

Posts: 903
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Exactly the one I ordered. Works perfectly.
__________________

57 Sapphire Black E91 330d M-Sport
Privacy Glass // Leather // Heated Seats // Bluetooth // Blacklines // BMWP Gloss Black Grille // Alpine HiFi // LCI Headlights
Frobius is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #85
MEGA
Dieseasal
 
MEGA's Avatar
 
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Harrow, London

Posts: 6,805
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to MEGA
Ordered now.
__________________
Previously: 2003 Peugeot 206 1.6 8v | 2006 E90 320d M-Sport, 19" BBS CH, Full Ice-cold JL audio install, August 2010 Total BMW 6 page feature car. | 2003 Nissan 350Z GT Coupe 286BHP
Now:2010 E92 LCI 335d M-Sport
MEGA is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #86
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,076
iTrader: (37)

Mega, if you have disabled your OBD port, whats the point of moving it then?
__________________
<img src=http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii559/makkan00/New-6_zpscbec0353.jpg border=0 alt= />
RETROFITS: LCI Conversion - LCI Xenons - LCI Tail lights - Memory heated seats
- Folding mirrors with auto-dip - CIC DAB Plus - Combox - 6FL - 6NF - 6NR - BMW
live & Internet MODS: Eibach Sportsline - AluFelgens CS7 - MS-8 - SWS-8 - Gladen
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #87
MEGA
Dieseasal
 
MEGA's Avatar
 
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Harrow, London

Posts: 6,805
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to MEGA
It's "disabled" by being missing right now. IE It's tucked up behind the bulkhead.

I'd much rather have it re-routed.
__________________
Previously: 2003 Peugeot 206 1.6 8v | 2006 E90 320d M-Sport, 19" BBS CH, Full Ice-cold JL audio install, August 2010 Total BMW 6 page feature car. | 2003 Nissan 350Z GT Coupe 286BHP
Now:2010 E92 LCI 335d M-Sport
MEGA is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #88
ctch22
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: WYrkshire

Posts: 229
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
Really sorry to hear about this. As has been said before, BMW need to start feeling the pain for this. We are the ones being ripped off!

They wouldn't like it if the unscrupulous youths did it to a whole dealership - not even nicking the cars just re-arranging them on the forecourt to make the point. BMW might start to take note when it starts to affect them directly.

Footnote: For legal reasons I do not condone this suggestion. Just merely made the point for effect.
tell me about it man, on a more positive note have seen atleast a dozen 3 series over the last few days in birmingham all parked up with some hefty looking steering wheel locks on.

Looks like people are getting the message and doing something!
ctch22 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST