E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Confusing

09-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
marcvaf

Drives: BMW 320D SE

Confusing

Hi,

Got a 08 plate 320 SE and noticed that the distance from the wheel to the wheel arch height is alot bigger for one of the front passenger wheels, it is a good 1 or 2 inches different.... the rest are all the same height. I have standard wheels on...any ideas what this could be?

thanks
      09-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
AlanQS
Colonel

Drives: 320d SE Coupe

Garage List
One side (not just one wheel) should be higher than the other side though less than 10mm if it is as BMW specification.

The reason appears to be that BMW designed the car to be level when there is a standard driver weight (75kg I think) sitting in the driver's seat.

However, although BMW usually do a perfect right hand drive conversion on their cars (i.e. wipers the right way round and bonnet release on the right hand side - French car makers please note), they didn't bother their arse with converting the suspension lean for right hand drive which means it doesn't sit level with just a driver in it.

I don't know why they do it as Jaguar manage to produce a level sitting car whether right or left hand drive.

Measure the distance from the bottom of the wheel to the underside of the wheel arch then measure the opposite wheel in the same way. If the measurements are less than 10mm apart, BMW say there is nothing wrong with the suspension.
      09-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
parapaul
Colonel

Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Then turn your car around, and measure again.

My driveway is almost level. If I park the car nose in, the front sits a good 1/2" lower than if I reverse it in. Same if I put the handbrake on before the car's completely settled.

It may not be as bad as you think.