E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Maintenance Check ... Not worth it? Rybrook Shrewsbury Mini Review



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
spirocheter
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335d M Sport Saloon
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Shropshire

Posts: 342
iTrader: (0)

Maintenance Check ... Not worth it? Rybrook Shrewsbury Mini Review

I fell into the iDrive trap where 'Inspection' warning was displayed, which I mistook to mean 'Vehicle Inspection'. How stupid of me to be confused

Anyway, car booked into Rybrook Shrewsbury where I've had all other work done via MainDealerDiscount (I wasn't advised a check wasn't due).

Arrived, keyfob in receiver advised it was MOT due. Now I usually get these done a few minutes down the road from where I live at Barrs (Aston Square / nr Oswestry) for £25 only. The service advisor kindly offered the discounted price of £30, OK not worth the hassle of rebooking elsewhere and kind of Rybrook to fit me in.

I was offered a 'Maintenance Check' for £35, and since the car's used car warranty is shortly about to end and my battery had run almost flat after being left 2 weeks, I thought I'd go with it (service advisor was making out that the AUC warranty was not as good as standard warranty on a new car..?). Natasha told me 'a whole load of things not covered by the MOT would be check' (it later transpires, it is only a few basic things like fluid levels and brake discs).

So I waited 2.5 hours and job done, including a new wash and vac (which I'd actually told them not to bother with since it'd been done two days earlier), but hey ho.

I was told the battery was low as something was draining the battery from inside the car?? The only thing plugged into the cigarette lighter in the armrest is my USB iPhone charger with no phone plugged in (I suppose this could drain the battery, though the phone doesn't charge when the ignition is off, so I don't understand how the battery could be drained with the phone plugged in).

I asked the service advisor, who was not growing irritated with me (presumably she didn't know the answer and didn't want to find out such trivia), then she said I'd been using the car only for short journeys and proceeded to quote figures from a log (I'd contested this as I frequently drive 15miles, and quite often drive 50plus miles though granted I do a lot of short journeys also).

I asked for some kind of printout for my records regarding what the 'Maintenance Check' had shown. I was advised since the car had already been in for recent work, all the items would have been checked already anyway

OK, the manner was, get your bill paid and get out. I was told there was a printout with my receipt (which there wasn't, other than the item of 'Maintenance Check specified), leaving me to feel like the £35 was a complete waste of money If they were being paid to check the brake discs, why didn't they printout what the measurements were and and advisory. Plus if they were checking the tyre depth, why not a printout saying what mm remaining on each tyre (that I can simply check myself anyway)?? NOT GOOD.

OK, not a lot of money, I paid up and left. I was happy they'd fit me in for the MOT at such short notice, and I was kept occupied on their WiFi, though I will not be paying for any further maintenance checks, particularly as their is nothing tangible I can see they have done. I guess in life, we have to choose our battles, just thought others might like to see my experience (probably pales in comparison to many others).

Lesson to self, don't believe bolt on extras are worth while... ever!
spirocheter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2012, 05:16 AM   #2
doughboy
Major General
 
doughboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 6,375
iTrader: (2)

The I drive MOT inspection is called a 'statutory inspection' IIRC - obviously an MOT?

Anyway, the BMW 'Inspection' is not really worth the £100+ most dealers charge, but it's an offical service item, so if you want full history/stamps you have to have it done, simple i'd say?

Don't know what the problem is, if BMW service book says "ashtray emptying" and that's £100, then if you want a full history you have to pay.

People pay more for full history cars because they 'think' they are better because they've had cash lavished on them at overpriced dealers.

If you don't want to pay then don't bother, but you'll lose those important stamps.
__________________
335i gone E63 AMG here at last!
doughboy is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
 
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cornwall

Posts: 631
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirocheter View Post
I fell into the iDrive trap where 'Inspection' warning was displayed, which I mistook to mean 'Vehicle Inspection'. How stupid of me to be confused

Anyway, car booked into Rybrook Shrewsbury where I've had all other work done via MainDealerDiscount (I wasn't advised a check wasn't due).

Arrived, keyfob in receiver advised it was MOT due. Now I usually get these done a few minutes down the road from where I live at Barrs (Aston Square / nr Oswestry) for £25 only. The service advisor kindly offered the discounted price of £30, OK not worth the hassle of rebooking elsewhere and kind of Rybrook to fit me in.

I was offered a 'Maintenance Check' for £35, and since the car's used car warranty is shortly about to end and my battery had run almost flat after being left 2 weeks, I thought I'd go with it (service advisor was making out that the AUC warranty was not as good as standard warranty on a new car..?). Natasha told me 'a whole load of things not covered by the MOT would be check' (it later transpires, it is only a few basic things like fluid levels and brake discs).

So I waited 2.5 hours and job done, including a new wash and vac (which I'd actually told them not to bother with since it'd been done two days earlier), but hey ho.

I was told the battery was low as something was draining the battery from inside the car?? The only thing plugged into the cigarette lighter in the armrest is my USB iPhone charger with no phone plugged in (I suppose this could drain the battery, though the phone doesn't charge when the ignition is off, so I don't understand how the battery could be drained with the phone plugged in).

I asked the service advisor, who was not growing irritated with me (presumably she didn't know the answer and didn't want to find out such trivia), then she said I'd been using the car only for short journeys and proceeded to quote figures from a log (I'd contested this as I frequently drive 15miles, and quite often drive 50plus miles though granted I do a lot of short journeys also).

I asked for some kind of printout for my records regarding what the 'Maintenance Check' had shown. I was advised since the car had already been in for recent work, all the items would have been checked already anyway

OK, the manner was, get your bill paid and get out. I was told there was a printout with my receipt (which there wasn't, other than the item of 'Maintenance Check specified), leaving me to feel like the £35 was a complete waste of money If they were being paid to check the brake discs, why didn't they printout what the measurements were and and advisory. Plus if they were checking the tyre depth, why not a printout saying what mm remaining on each tyre (that I can simply check myself anyway)?? NOT GOOD.

OK, not a lot of money, I paid up and left. I was happy they'd fit me in for the MOT at such short notice, and I was kept occupied on their WiFi, though I will not be paying for any further maintenance checks, particularly as their is nothing tangible I can see they have done. I guess in life, we have to choose our battles, just thought others might like to see my experience (probably pales in comparison to many others).

Lesson to self, don't believe bolt on extras are worth while... ever!
I think we must remember that some people just get in their cars and drive them - for them, routine maintenance is putting fuel in. So - £35 to 'sub contract' the other stuff that we should all be checking on a regular basis is a good deal. However, for others (like you and I), it's not needed and you were talked into something you didn't need.
Falmouthboy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
doughboy
Major General
 
doughboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 6,375
iTrader: (2)

Agree, but as I said, it is a official service item, so if you want your stamps you need to have it, if you're not bothered like that, and are happy to check the car over yourself then go for it.

I use an Indy who does the basic check with most services and 'ticks' the 'inspection' symbol in the book (the 'car on ramp' symbol)
__________________
335i gone E63 AMG here at last!
doughboy is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
 
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cornwall

Posts: 631
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Agree, but as I said, it is a official service item, so if you want your stamps you need to have it, if you're not bothered like that, and are happy to check the car over yourself then go for it.

I use an Indy who does the basic check with most services and 'ticks' the 'inspection' symbol in the book (the 'car on ramp' symbol)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the £35 'Maintenance Check' the OP refers to isn't the 'Safety Inspection' that comes up in the I Drive (separate again to the Statutory Inspection), which though pointless is still needed to keep the service book up to date.
Falmouthboy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
spirocheter
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335d M Sport Saloon
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Shropshire

Posts: 342
iTrader: (0)

Yes, sorry for not making myself clearer - the 'Maintenance Check' I paid £35 for, is over and above the 'Vehicle Check' (which costs above £100) which is necessary for the 'stamps in the book'.

I wanted something to show for my £35, not just a receipt saying 'Maintenance Check' (ie a breakdown of what had been checked, if only a tickbox carbon copy provided to me).

I thought in paying to have the car looked at in what I thought was better detail than the vehicle just having it's MOT to see if any warranty items needed replacement before the end of the AUC warranty (if I'd seen a list of items covered, such as engine oil, coolant fluid, brake discs and know I'd not been getting a report on items), I was talked into it and sold something I didn't need. Clearly £35, checking fluid levels and a few other basic things for an enthusiast owner is totally unecessary. Yes, a silly error on my part, but I am usually a savvy consumer and others may fall into the same trap - I thought in posting it may prevent this.

On a previous e46 330d, before the 3yr manufacturer's warranty had expired, it was noted the common problem of the rear coil spring having snapped was detected. Granted, this should have been brought up on the MOT component of the check, but it was with this in mind, I thought the 'additional check' would be helpful.

I have actually today bought the Mondial BMW insured warranty, at the zero excess level on a monthly rolling basis with breakdown cover included. I didn't think this would be quite so easy to claim on as the AUC warranty since I have no prior experience. I need to have stamps in my book to be able to continue with the warranty (and have an unmodified 335d to qualify also). The peace of mind, means I'll keep the car longer. I'd otherwise have been trading which would have ultimately cost me more. I only have 31200 miles on the clock and had trouble finding a car in the first place with the options I'd wanted.

It was useful I guess having BMW do the MOT, as they could then clear the 'Statutory Inspection' warning the iDrive would keep throwing up (that I thought indicated Vehicle Inspection). I don't know whether my local MOT garage can clear BMW codes (though I'm aware a growing number can through second party software which is relatively inexpensive).
spirocheter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
AlanQS
Colonel
 
AlanQS's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d SE Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glasgow

Posts: 2,515
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
It was recently confirmed that you do not require BMW dealer servicing to comply with the requirements of the BMW insured warranty - as is the case with the normal warranty on all cars - it's counter-competitive therefore illegal.

As before, any servicing must be done by a registered garage using genuine BMW parts where applicable.
__________________
AlanQS is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
spirocheter
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335d M Sport Saloon
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Shropshire

Posts: 342
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
It was recently confirmed that you do not require BMW dealer servicing to comply with the requirements of the BMW insured warranty - as is the case with the normal warranty on all cars - it's counter-competitive therefore illegal.

As before, any servicing must be done by a registered garage using genuine BMW parts where applicable.
That's interesting, thanks. I'll listen up for more on this, the recording which was read out (I think) stated service work must be performed by BMW, so I wonder whether legal action would be required to enforce the legislation (shouldn't it be against competition even for this to be stated in terms and conditions)?

I'd read about block exemption rules governing servicing and manufacturers warranties, (so it certainly makes sense).
spirocheter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
doughboy
Major General
 
doughboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 6,375
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falmouthboy View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the £35 'Maintenance Check' the OP refers to isn't the 'Safety Inspection' that comes up in the I Drive (separate again to the Statutory Inspection), which though pointless is still needed to keep the service book up to date.
I don't think there is a BMW 'safety inspection' service item, do you mean the 'vehicle inspection' item? (sorry if mistaken)

The maintenance inspection seems to be some random garage con, like a kwik fit 'inspection' i would think, bad luck if you go for that.
__________________
335i gone E63 AMG here at last!
doughboy is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 03:14 AM   #10
gpthomas
Registered
 
Drives: BMW 640d M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Shrewsbury

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

Dear spirocheter
I am concerned to read of your frustration and disappointment with your recent visit to Rybrook Shrewsbury, as the Dealer Principal of the business I take customer satisfaction very seriously, and like to keep up with the comments that are posted on our website and the internet. On occasion I like to respond to assure customers of our commitment.

By offering you the “maintenance check” we do so with the best intentions in mind. With service intervals being up to 20,000 miles or two years we find that routine maintenance is not being noticed by customer, and visits into the dealership are less frequent. The downside of this is essential work is missed and costs mount up when scheduled services are due. This is especially a concern for customers when their warranty is coming to the end and I think you were right to check the vehicle condition in addition to the MOT.

In terms of your battery drain, the explanation of frequent short journeys is correct in that your battery does not get an opportunity to be fully recharged. The battery drain may not be down to this, or even an external device plugged into the car as suggested. It could be a module that is not switching off, damage to the battery or even a wiring fault. I would suggest that if you feel it is continuing to drain that we explore this further.
With reference to your concern over the maintenance check I accept your comments about providing something “tangible” that customers can take away and read. By the time you have read this post you will have received a Tyre Report and Brake Report that I have arranged to be sent to you (subject to the post arriving). Based on your feedback we are exploring a “customer friendly checklist” that could be provided to customers who invest in maintenance checks in future.

In conclusion I was pleased to read that you recognise our flexibility in fitting you in for an appointment, and our pricing competiveness by offering you the discounted MOT of £30. I also should note that we are one of a few BMW dealers who offer our facilities through www.maindealerdiscount.co.uk , I feel this further demonstrates our commitment to all BMW drivers. As a biased BMW Dealer Principal I suppose the only area where I am likely to disagree is the charge of £35 for my BMW Qualified technician’s time, and therefore I would want to you to feel like it is money well spent. However your comments have been taken very positively by the team, we have an opportunity to change, and I apologise for you feeling disappointed with our service.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at the dealership.
gpthomas is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 03:43 AM   #11
Phil325i
Major
 
Phil325i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK South East

Posts: 1,093
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
A possible reason your battery is not being fully charged: I believe later BMWs have some kind of brake energy regeneration system, so the alternator only charges under braking. So it's not so much the distance you travel on your journey, but the amount of braking you do.

Might be wrong though...
__________________
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Meyle HD droplinks; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; RM intake hose; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; LED Angels; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof
Phil325i is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 05:35 AM   #12
doc_ab
Major
 
Drives: 640D M Sport coupe
Join Date: May 2010
Location: buckinghamshire

Posts: 1,160
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
Fair dues to dealer principal for reading the forum and going at least some way to hopefully address some of the issues.
doc_ab is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
rich1068
has left the building
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK

Posts: 3,363
iTrader: (0)

Certainly. to gpthomas.
rich1068 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #14
spirocheter
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335d M Sport Saloon
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Shropshire

Posts: 342
iTrader: (0)

Yes, many thanks Mr Thomas for your response and interest in improving customer satisfaction. Definitely

Many thanks

I was in fact going to drop send in a letter, on receiving a response I would have updated the thread. In fact, I have often received invitation to provide feedback to Rybrook regarding the levels of service to yourself. I was going to give feedback on this occasion. I had started writing the post as a warning to others regarding not misinterpreting the 'statutory check' warning as meaning 'vehicle check due' (sorry I think my last post was written on the iPad and therefore the word was changed).

I'm not convinced that I should have paid for the maintenance check when the MOT was being performed anyway, since I keep a very close eye on fluid levels, and have a digital tread depth gauge and frequently measure the tread depth, air pressures etc. If it had been made clear to me the items which were covered (instead of being told 'a load of extra things are checked' which was clearly sales talk, or lack of enthusiasm in looking up a list) I would have declined the additional check and just gone with the MOT.

I felt like a nuisance when I asked the sales advisor if I could have a breakdown of what had been done for the maintenance check and was told I'd been given a printout. There wasn't anyone waiting behind me and so I couldn't see what the rush was.

I did query the battery drain, as the only item I plugged in, was a cigarette lighter / USB adapter with the USB cord attached. I barely ever charge my phone and never leave it in the car. I have tried attaching it whilst the ignition is switched off and the phone won't charge so had assumed it wouldn't place a drain on the battery. Clearly I shall leave it unplugged now, though do not remain convinced it was the cause of the problem. Like you say, perhaps it is a fault lying elsewhere (my thoughts were the battery was old and in need of replacement).

When I got home only found the receipt saying 'maintenance check' and no details of what was done (I looked this up online).... which was when I got into writing the post.

It wouldn't have put my off using Rybrook again, and relatively minor in the grand scheme of things, only £35 after all, though it does influence future trust when dealing with service agents.

To Rybrook's credit, I have noticed a discernible improvement in the customer experience over the last few years.

I had been terribly put off a few years ago on two separate issues (nothing written about online), over some unresolved, I won't go into these here but to say I'd chosen to let bygones be bygones.

Overall, the experience has been better than a few other garages I have used. The provision of loaner cars and flexibility over the pickup and dropoffs has been outstanding in particular. Generally, the friendliness of staff, speed at which the telephone is picked up and general helpfulness I've experienced has been superb. Really I ought to have pointed this out earlier though I was still quite cross. The quality of the showroom and facilities, is second to none.

I must also point out, I'm delighted Rybrook use maindealerdiscounts. Darren Bone, who runs this site, is exceeding helpful (and gave me an immediate refund when I said I'd mistakenly booked a vehicle check). There is seemless integration between this website and Rybrook, lending towards a superb experience.

Thanks again for your response Mr Thomas.
spirocheter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #15
gpthomas
Registered
 
Drives: BMW 640d M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Shrewsbury

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

Thank you for the reply to my post, feedback is always good, even if uncomfortable to read, or listen to on occassion.

At Shrewsbury we have worked hard to develop a team that is committed to looking after our customers over the last couple of years. Your comments are valid and customer service is a evolving objective of ours, unfortunately when working with human and mechanical error it will never be perfected.

If you would like us to look further into the battery drain we will gladly do so, your previous custom is appreciated, and will continue to be.

Have an enjoyable weekend, and please give me a call at the dealership if I can help further.
gpthomas is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
AlwynMike
Captain
 
Drives: E91 335d.
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Shropshire, UK

Posts: 934
iTrader: (1)

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but . . .

Thanks to gpthomas for coming on to the forum. I think that we could do with more BMW Dealership management on the forum - for good and bad points.
Living in the Shrewsbury area, Rybrook are fairly close to me, but I could just as easily go to another 3 dealerships at a similar distance from me, so my servicing is usually price-led. I have been a Rybrook customer previously and been generally satisfied at the service - there have been highs and lows though. I could say that about other dealerships too.

For me, when someone who is a member of this forum (and others), we generally have a better awareness of our cars, and thier associated issues, than other drivers. Perhaps, gpthomas, if you could employ a Service Advisor who actually knew about our cars, so we could talk on equal terms, rather than accept generalities and platitudes. Eye Candy is all very nice, but I like to talk about the issues with my car. You are now on the forum - give us a name for us to speak to - then you'll keep me happy and coming back, and you won't have issues like spirocheter's clouding your reputation.

Mike (who would also like a discount on another 335!)
AlwynMike is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST