E90Post
 


Evolve Automotive
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > BMW 323i Fuel Economy



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Mr Sir
Registered
 
Drives: 2000 BMW 323i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cranbrook

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

BMW 323i Fuel Economy

Hey all, Steve here. I was wondering how I could increase the fuel economy of my 323i. Its a fairly gutless car, but it gets 24 on the highway... this isnt really acceptable to me seeing as I used to drive a 400+hp camaro that got 36. Any suggestions that'll get me better power and better fuel economy would be great.
Mr Sir is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
CanadianDriver
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 328xi
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada

Posts: 466
iTrader: (0)

it may have something to do with the limitations of older engine designs as well. your 2000 323i has the double vanos M54 (if i'm not mistaken). later model N52s add valvetronic and can get 33 on the highway.
CanadianDriver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
johnniewalker
Lieutenant
 
johnniewalker's Avatar
 
Drives: 328 xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: GTA, Canada

Posts: 551
iTrader: (9)

Do oil change every 10,000 km. Dont follow the bmw recommended range.
My friend's N54 was doing 380 km/tank (He used to follow the bmw recommended range, and would only do it when car "needs" it). I told him to do every 10000 km and after his oil change he gets 500km/tank. Don't know if it is related but he actually got better mileage after.
__________________
Performance Intake and Exhaust, Apex arc-8, KW v1, Vorshlag camber, ER brake lines, Lux V4, AA tune
johnniewalker is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Mr Sir
Registered
 
Drives: 2000 BMW 323i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cranbrook

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

These sound like good ideas, I'm kinda new to the BMW world so I don't know what standard mods will make it better. So if I drop in an N52 engine I'll get better fuel economy, but i was kinda wondering if i could make the factory motor better by getting a power chip, and putting in a better intake, high flow exhaust, and a better then factory cam.
Mr Sir is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
BMWWW
Private First Class
 
BMWWW's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto

Posts: 173
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sir View Post
These sound like good ideas, I'm kinda new to the BMW world so I don't know what standard mods will make it better. So if I drop in an N52 engine I'll get better fuel economy, but i was kinda wondering if i could make the factory motor better by getting a power chip, and putting in a better intake, high flow exhaust, and a better then factory cam.
All of which would make you yearn for the days of your v8 Camaro and urge you to waste more gas--so let us be real, you ain't getting better gas mileage anytime soon.
__________________

When called an idiot sometimes is better to be quiet than to open mouth and remove all doubt.
Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
--Confucius

BMWWW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
416Black328i
New Member
 
416Black328i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 328i Black Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ontario

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Something to consider is whether the oxygen sensor needs replacement depending on your odometer mileage. Might not necessarily trip the check engine light but could make mileage suffer. Not sure if emissions results will give an indication of this.
Also I agree with Johnnie Walker, when I had my 323ci the frequent oil changes seemed to help mileage quite a bit.

And if you have steptronic - take it easy in sports mode - might be fun but it burns gas like nothing else.

Be prepared some people might say you can't be preoccupied with mileage when you own a BMW. Maybe buy a few shares in an oil co, in the long run you'll come out ahead.
__________________
'07 328i Coupe
Stock for now
Future plans: AA Tune, intake and brake package.
416Black328i is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
Mr Sir
Registered
 
Drives: 2000 BMW 323i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cranbrook

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWWW View Post
All of which would make you yearn for the days of your v8 Camaro and urge you to waste more gas--so let us be real, you ain't getting better gas mileage anytime soon.
This is true but i do like to go on the odd road trip and when im on a road trip, im not usually mashing it to the floor too much.
Mr Sir is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
e9012345
Lieutenant
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North York

Posts: 402
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sir View Post
These sound like good ideas, I'm kinda new to the BMW world so I don't know what standard mods will make it better. So if I drop in an N52 engine I'll get better fuel economy, but i was kinda wondering if i could make the factory motor better by getting a power chip, and putting in a better intake, high flow exhaust, and a better then factory cam.
I doubt you could just DROP IN an N52.. and if you were to.. there are no "power chips" for it and no aftermarket cams on market.

Regardless, this is quite a silly path to take.... sell your car and either buy a Honda Civic and get AWESOME gas mileage, buy a proper N52 that's bolted to an E90 chassis.. or don't complain.

To be very honest with you.. gas mileage threads are EXTREMELY frowned upon within BMW forums... Want to crib about gas? You're in the wrong car club.
e9012345 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
BennyJones
Private First Class
 
BennyJones's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 108
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sir View Post
Hey all, Steve here. I was wondering how I could increase the fuel economy of my 323i. Its a fairly gutless car, but it gets 24 on the highway... this isnt really acceptable to me seeing as I used to drive a 400+hp camaro that got 36. Any suggestions that'll get me better power and better fuel economy would be great.
This is probably one of the most confusing threads on the forum....its always going to be different...every time you put your foot down you change the average... Even in the 400+ HP Camaro...

The important point is you now drive a BMW..

Nuff said....
__________________

2011 E90: H&R Sport Springs // Carbon Fiber M3 Lip // BMW Performance Exhaust // BMW Performance Short Shift w/ Alcantara Boot // Hyper Silver 19" VMR 710's Staggered // WeissLicht LED Angel Eyes // Xenesis H7's // Carbon Fiber Front Splitters // Jet Black Painted Kidney Grilles //
BennyJones is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
Mr Sir
Registered
 
Drives: 2000 BMW 323i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cranbrook

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e9012345 View Post
I doubt you could just DROP IN an N52.. and if you were to.. there are no "power chips" for it and no aftermarket cams on market.

Regardless, this is quite a silly path to take.... sell your car and either buy a Honda Civic and get AWESOME gas mileage, buy a proper N52 that's bolted to an E90 chassis.. or don't complain.

To be very honest with you.. gas mileage threads are EXTREMELY frowned upon within BMW forums... Want to crib about gas? You're in the wrong car club.
getting aftermarket cams and stuff, for me, isnt an issue, my best friend is a machinist. my biggest gripe was that the motor is gutless and has no excuse to burn so much gas. as for "power chips" do some research, bully dog makes them.
Mr Sir is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
dassub
Captain
 
dassub's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 325i 6MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 733
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sir View Post
getting aftermarket cams and stuff, for me, isnt an issue, my best friend is a machinist. my biggest gripe was that the motor is gutless and has no excuse to burn so much gas. as for "power chips" do some research, bully dog makes them.
Did you test drive this beast before you bought it?
dassub is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST