E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW 335i (N54) turbo warranty extended for wastegate issues to 8yrs/82k miles



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #199
335i Pal
Second Lieutenant
335i Pal's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
284
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomos319 View Post
I finally got the nerve to bring my FBO car in for the bad rattle/ slow spool. I'm not quite sure how it happened, but they just had me rev and pretty much said, yeah, your turbos are bad. They did question my exhaust note, I told them I had merely deleted the secondary cats. That didn't seem to phase them. When I went back with the SA, he got my info, and told me they were going to send it in to BMW for approval.

Question is, if does get "approved", aside from the obvious removal of my chip, do I even need to bother with the DP's and intercooler? I'd hate to go through the time and expense just to be jerked around, as some other members here have been.

Someone who used to work there suggested I might slip them a couple hundred extra for the "inconvenience of dealing with the extra parts." He offered to call them for me post approval since he knows people there still. (hes an independant now)

Where at and what dealer did you go to? I am in Dayton, Ohio and Voss is local dealer in my area. Hoping to have a similar experience with them.

While I only have a chip and BMS Intake I removed the chip and thinking about putting my factory intake back in.
__________________
335i E90 | BMS DCI | Black Matte Grill | JB4 | Logic 7 | Sport | Premium | Cold |
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #200
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
332
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335I
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Turbotown

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i Pal View Post
Where at and what dealer did you go to? I am in Dayton, Ohio and Voss is local dealer in my area. Hoping to have a similar experience with them.

While I only have a chip and BMS Intake I removed the chip and thinking about putting my factory intake back in.
Just in case someone from there occasionally reads these forums, I am hesitant to say. Call me paranoid. If this all works out, I'll be happy to share. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #201
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
E90_boostjunky's Avatar
27
Rep
1,626
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA, IL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
This has zero to do with the lawsuit and everything to do with CA emissions control laws! In CA, for any car that was originally sold in CA, emission-related parts are warranted for 8 years and 82,000 miles. If you have a CA car, look in your maintenance book -- it's right there.

Emissions warranties in other states vary -- you need to check your state.

BTW, injectors are "emission related parts" in CA as well.
so am i reading this write, my car is originally a CA car but i live in Illinois, would they cover my injectors and the wastegates as well?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 12:55 AM   #202
Joe-
Lieutenant
8
Rep
520
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Greenwich CT

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90_boostjunky View Post
so am i reading this write, my car is originally a CA car but i live in Illinois, would they cover my injectors and the wastegates as well?
You are covered regardless of where the car came from.

The extension apply's to all states.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #203
335i Pal
Second Lieutenant
335i Pal's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
284
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomos319 View Post
Just in case someone from there occasionally reads these forums, I am hesitant to say. Call me paranoid. If this all works out, I'll be happy to share. Sorry.
No worries, get any update yet?
__________________
335i E90 | BMS DCI | Black Matte Grill | JB4 | Logic 7 | Sport | Premium | Cold |
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #204
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
332
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335I
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Turbotown

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i Pal View Post
No worries, get any update yet?


Just dropped it off...given a f80 328i loaner. Feeling hopeful... I will keep my fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #205
jh49tpro
New Member
1
Rep
27
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335xi e90
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Just got my car back yesterday after being approved for 2 new turbos! My dealer was great through the whole process even though it took roughly 2 weeks from start to finish. In case anyone is wondering or worrying about mods effecting the warranty, I have an injen intake, turner motorsport vent boost gauge and Cobb. Before I brought it in I put the stock intake back on and returned the ECU to stock. They didn't even give me a hard time about the vac line and ended up replacing it!

Car runs and sounds the best it has in a long time. Way to go BMW!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #206
Joe-
Lieutenant
8
Rep
520
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Greenwich CT

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh49tpro View Post
Just got my car back yesterday after being approved for 2 new turbos! My dealer was great through the whole process even though it took roughly 2 weeks from start to finish. In case anyone is wondering or worrying about mods effecting the warranty, I have an injen intake, turner motorsport vent boost gauge and Cobb. Before I brought it in I put the stock intake back on and returned the ECU to stock. They didn't even give me a hard time about the vac line and ended up replacing it!

Car runs and sounds the best it has in a long time. Way to go BMW!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #207
Rotorocious
Major
Rotorocious's Avatar
32
Rep
1,461
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

Any other success stories?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #208
Bruc3 L33roy
Team Outcast [East Coast Chapt.] || OutCast Garage
Bruc3 L33roy's Avatar
Philippines
5
Rep
258
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

iTrader: (1)

Bringing the car to get looked at for the rattle..My SA told me they still need to diagnose the problem..only internal mod done is BMS DCI..should I put the stock airbox back in before I bring it in?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #209
335twins
Lieutenant
335twins's Avatar
7
Rep
501
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i, 2012 x3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: AZ

iTrader: (1)

how can i find out if my turbos need to be replaced? do i just talk to my SA and mention "SI B01 02 12" and he should be able to check if my car is affected?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #210
TJDiCandido
Outlaw 06
TJDiCandido's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
946
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 / E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CCCP (Connecticut Soviet Socialist Republic)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 M3 Coupe  [4.50]
2007 E90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post
...For those of you who havent seen the news SIB, here it is: dated July 2012.
Good info. Thanks for posting this.
__________________
Current vehicles:
2007 BMW 335i Sedan, 6MT, ZSP
2004 BMW M3 Coupe, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #211
335i Pal
Second Lieutenant
335i Pal's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
284
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (1)

Dropping mine off Wednesday and they are going to explore the noise a little more to confirm that my wastegates are the issue.
__________________
335i E90 | BMS DCI | Black Matte Grill | JB4 | Logic 7 | Sport | Premium | Cold |
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #212
Tari
Captain
11
Rep
602
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Need some advice guys. My wastegate is rattling a slightly but the turbo is also going bad. My appointment is this thursday what should I do or say?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #213
335i Pal
Second Lieutenant
335i Pal's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
284
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (1)

Dropped my car off on the 10th so they could investigate the sound to verify wastegate rattle. Went on vacation all last week. Picked it up yesterday and new turbos!

Also before I left I turned in my loaner and they showed me the progress with my engine out! So for those of you that think this should be fixed no matter what, think again. The dealers can take huge hit on this if BMW decides not to cover this under warranty and my dealer was extremely hesitant at first to even proceed.
__________________
335i E90 | BMS DCI | Black Matte Grill | JB4 | Logic 7 | Sport | Premium | Cold |
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #214
335i Pal
Second Lieutenant
335i Pal's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
284
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (1)

oops the upload didnt work
Attached Images
  
__________________
335i E90 | BMS DCI | Black Matte Grill | JB4 | Logic 7 | Sport | Premium | Cold |
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #215
brainskill
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

The local dealership gave me the run around when I tried to get the service done under this recall. They confirmed the wastegates were rattling but presented me with a catch-22.

They claimed to verify the wastegates were faulty they would have to perform 20 hours of labor and if they weren't I would need to foot the bill. As far as I can tell, you can test the wastegates on both turbos with just the downpipes off, and even the most incompetent mechanic could take the downpipes off in less than two hours.

The SA also gave me some BS about needing to purchase new actuator assemblies even if the turbo service was approved. Perhaps he meant solenoids? My solenoids are fine.

They said I should come back when something actually breaks on the turbo assemblies. I'm sure the car will oblige them sooner or later.

Clearly I'm no bueno with this dealership, should I try another? I can only speculate the fact that I'm not the original owner plays some role.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #216
335i Pal
Second Lieutenant
335i Pal's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
284
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (1)

Same thing happened to me, but BMW corporate was involved. I think the dealer just took a chance that it could be the turbos. I didnt have to deal with the actuator assemblies though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainskill View Post
The local dealership gave me the run around when I tried to get the service done under this recall. They confirmed the wastegates were rattling but presented me with a catch-22.

They claimed to verify the wastegates were faulty they would have to perform 20 hours of labor and if they weren't I would need to foot the bill. As far as I can tell, you can test the wastegates on both turbos with just the downpipes off, and even the most incompetent mechanic could take the downpipes off in less than two hours.

The SA also gave me some BS about needing to purchase new actuator assemblies even if the turbo service was approved. Perhaps he meant solenoids? My solenoids are fine.

They said I should come back when something actually breaks on the turbo assemblies. I'm sure the car will oblige them sooner or later.

Clearly I'm no bueno with this dealership, should I try another? I can only speculate the fact that I'm not the original owner plays some role.
__________________
335i E90 | BMS DCI | Black Matte Grill | JB4 | Logic 7 | Sport | Premium | Cold |
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #217
mike5809
Lieutenant
mike5809's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
577
Posts

 
Drives: '11 335i M-Sport [LeMans Blue]
Join Date: May 2011
Location: York, PA

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
My car is still under CPO and I have taken it in 3 times so far for the wastegate rattle. I actually went to two different dealers. The first time I went, Dealer A replaced the wastegate actuators. The second time Dealer A said they could not replicate. So I went to Dealer B and they replicated the rattle and replaced the actuators again.

At no time did they suggest or offer to replace the turbos. If the rattle comes back I go in again, I will bring up the turbo replacement.
__________________

'11 BMW 335i M-Sport Coupe xDrive [LeMans Blue] - COBB AP V3, BMS Intake, ER CP, Exotics Tuning CF Lip, CF Diffuser, M3 Spoiler, Eibach Springs/Bilstein Shocks
'07 BMW 335i Coupe & BMW Z4 3.0i - Gone
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #218
DanielGonz
Lieutenant
7
Rep
564
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 335i 6 speed
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SoCal (OC)

iTrader: (0)

So if I'm at 85k miles... am I shit out of luck?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #219
Joe-
Lieutenant
8
Rep
520
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Greenwich CT

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGonz View Post
So if I'm at 85k miles... am I shit out of luck?
Since warranty is 82k. Yes
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #220
DanielGonz
Lieutenant
7
Rep
564
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 335i 6 speed
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SoCal (OC)

iTrader: (0)

Found out the turbos we're replaced at 41K... WOO!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bmw n54 service bulletin, bmw n54 sib, bmw n54 tsb, bmw service bulletin, bmw sib, bmw tsb, bmw turbo warranty, bmw turbo wastegate, bmw turbo wastegate issue, bmw turbo wastegate rattle, bmw turbocharger warranty, bmw turbocharger wastegate, bmw turbochargers warranty, bmw warranty, turbo wastegate warranty

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST