E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Twin turbo N55 with forged internals



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-04-2012, 03:27 AM   #23
ciomas
Captain
ciomas's Avatar
Poland
11
Rep
671
Posts

 
Drives: M4
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: 3city PL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IancoleTX View Post
BOOM Juiced46 dropping knowledge up in here
fo real ;] nuff said

now can we please move to our usual (silly) way of discussing things
ai 'how much and why so much' or 'can I do it in my garage?' or my personal favourite 'why dont you go and buy an m3 instead'
__________________
335 - ÷hlins//Swift//M3 front suspension//M3 subframe bushes//Quaife LSD//AR Design Catless//Forge Intercooler//Alcon BBK//Goodridge//AFE//RPI//Fenders - SOLD
M4-Mineral Gray/Full Shakir Orange/DCT/M Ceramic/M Adaptive Susp.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #24
2000max
Private
0
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: '06 Evo RS
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (6)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664993

This thread has some good pictures of the n54 internals also.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #25
Voluted
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: e30 M50B25TU
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

I'd hardly call that even a moderate amount of carbon build up inside the chamber. The valve stems have a lot of gunk on them, but that happens to any direct injected engine without an effective way of removing oil vapour from the intake air. The turbo'd Minis have the same problem and BMW responds by blasting the intake valves with walnut shell to get rid of it. The excessive wear is scary, but I'm not totally surprised either; the ring can really tax an engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #26
Beemw335
Colonel
29
Rep
2,016
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: My car is my home

iTrader: (2)

The n55 has a chargepipe that will break with a few extra pounds of boost, they made installing a tune much harder(having to tap into all sensors) and put a tiny turbo that doesnt make much power.
The n55 was made to stop people from tuning theyre 335's.
Bmw put the n54 in the 1m for a reason, its a collectors car and they wanted to give them the more powerfull and more tunable engine.
Now whether the m3 uses a worked n54 or n55, it doesnt matter, its a reworked engine, not stock so it doesnt mean anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #27
Juiced46
Major
20
Rep
1,032
Posts

 
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wallingford CT

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
The n55 has a chargepipe that will break with a few extra pounds of boost, they made installing a tune much harder(having to tap into all sensors) and put a tiny turbo that doesnt make much power.
The n55 was made to stop people from tuning theyre 335's.
Bmw put the n54 in the 1m for a reason, its a collectors car and they wanted to give them the more powerfull and more tunable engine.
Now whether the m3 uses a worked n54 or n55, it doesnt matter, its a reworked engine, not stock so it doesnt mean anything.

You know you are 100% correct. Those BMW engineers are sneaky. Do you know how many hours they must have sat in meetings talking about how they can screw the tuning world? That they wanted to make the N55 to "screw" people so they do not modify cars? Yup thats the reason they built it! lol

This is how it went.
"Well lets design this chargepipe to hold 8-10#s of pressure. Once they go above that BOOM the pipe will break! That will stop those guys from tuning our cars!!" HAHAHA!! That is some of the most ridiculous speculation I have ever heard on a forum.

FYI Been running 15-16psi since the car was new and now has 24k on it, I havent popped a chargepipe yet.........
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #28
Beemw335
Colonel
29
Rep
2,016
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: My car is my home

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
The n55 has a chargepipe that will break with a few extra pounds of boost, they made installing a tune much harder(having to tap into all sensors) and put a tiny turbo that doesnt make much power.
The n55 was made to stop people from tuning theyre 335's.
Bmw put the n54 in the 1m for a reason, its a collectors car and they wanted to give them the more powerfull and more tunable engine.
Now whether the m3 uses a worked n54 or n55, it doesnt matter, its a reworked engine, not stock so it doesnt mean anything.

You know you are 100% correct. Those BMW engineers are sneaky. Do you know how many hours they must have sat in meetings talking about how they can screw the tuning world? That they wanted to make the N55 to "screw" people so they do not modify cars? Yup thats the reason they built it! lol

This is how it went.
"Well lets design this chargepipe to hold 8-10#s of pressure. Once they go above that BOOM the pipe will break! That will stop those guys from tuning our cars!!" HAHAHA!! That is some of the most ridiculous speculation I have ever heard on a forum.

FYI Been running 15-16psi since the car was new and now has 24k on it, I havent popped a chargepipe yet.........
Judging from all your posts on this thread, you clearly regret buying the n55, and regret not getting an n54 and now have made it your goal to convince others how the n55 is superior to the n54( which makes more power than the n55 with less mods)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #29
iloseguitarpicks
Lieutenant
6
Rep
571
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E90 335Xi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ

iTrader: (11)

I lul'd at the comment about changing the motor to prevent tuning...I love my N54, but the N55 will one day outperform it. Like stated, the amount of time spent with the N54 far exceeds that of the N55. Regardless of forged or not, the fact that the N54 is holding over 600 hp without any changes to the engine components is to me amazing (someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that, but that's what I've seemed to determine from reading about the single turbo kits)
__________________
-335xi---Innotech Exhaust---AR 3" Catless---Pro tuned---HPF FMIC---ER Chargepipe---KW V1---Injen DCI---BMW Performance Front Bumper, Rear Spoiler & Door Sills---Vorsteiner wheels---much more-
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #30
divisionbell77
Lieutenant
divisionbell77's Avatar
6
Rep
462
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
Judging from all your posts on this thread, you clearly regret buying the n55, and regret not getting an n54 and now have made it your goal to convince others how the n55 is superior to the n54( which makes more power than the n55 with less mods)
I've seen four year olds come up with better ideas than your two posts in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #31
ciomas
Captain
ciomas's Avatar
Poland
11
Rep
671
Posts

 
Drives: M4
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: 3city PL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
Judging from all your posts on this thread, you clearly regret buying the n55, and regret not getting an n54 and now have made it your goal to convince others how the n55 is superior to the n54( which makes more power than the n55 with less mods)
excuse me if I'm being rude but..

yaaaawn
__________________
335 - ÷hlins//Swift//M3 front suspension//M3 subframe bushes//Quaife LSD//AR Design Catless//Forge Intercooler//Alcon BBK//Goodridge//AFE//RPI//Fenders - SOLD
M4-Mineral Gray/Full Shakir Orange/DCT/M Ceramic/M Adaptive Susp.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #32
BmwECY
Banned
5
Rep
337
Posts

 
Drives: Bmw
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
N54s are not forged either. I know people say some of the very early ones were, they never were and they are very very wrong. And I know someone will point me to the link where the N54 guy disassembled his motor and says it has forged pistons and rods, they are NOT forged, and can clearly be seen in the pics.

You paid the same price for a better engine all around then the N54. Stock vs stock. BMW engineering unfortunately wasn't looking for max performance when aftermarket tuning was involved. They were focused on emissions, durability, longevity and all that fun government crap. The N55 IS a better motor then the N54 stock vs stock. Thats what you paid for.
that's a bunch of crap, coming from a n55 owner. let's consider some facts:

-1//m uses n54
-335iS uses n54

the n55 is under-performing with the same mods/tuning as the n54. so, with downpipe, intercooler, and 15+ psi, you'll be nowhere near a n54 with the same hardware/tuning. the n55 is a crap motor that's about to be rendered obsolete when the 2013-14 340i and 440i come out.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #33
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
CPWINCH's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
3,562
Posts

 
Drives: F32 4 Series
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
The n55 has a chargepipe that will break with a few extra pounds of boost, they made installing a tune much harder(having to tap into all sensors) and put a tiny turbo that doesnt make much power.
The n55 was made to stop people from tuning theyre 335's.
Bmw put the n54 in the 1m for a reason, its a collectors car and they wanted to give them the more powerfull and more tunable engine.
Now whether the m3 uses a worked n54 or n55, it doesnt matter, its a reworked engine, not stock so it doesnt mean anything.
i have been running 16-17 pounds of boost for a year and a half. still on stock charge pipe. You're retarded dude. It is not about stopping us from tuning its for economic purposes. If you take a simple economics class you will understand running a business has a lot to do with efficiency. To be efficient you basically have to make the same product with less material or time. By introducing a single turbo and adding a cheap plastic charge pipe etc they reduced amount of materials needed and can basically create the same car but for less money. Same thing goes with your 1m and 335is statements. They had to do something with the left overs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwECY View Post
that's a bunch of crap, coming from a n55 owner. let's consider some facts:

-1//m uses n54
-335iS uses n54

the n55 is under-performing with the same mods/tuning as the n54. so, with downpipe, intercooler, and 15+ psi, you'll be nowhere near a n54 with the same hardware/tuning. the n55 is a crap motor that's about to be rendered obsolete when the 2013-14 340i and 440i come out.
Please explain how an engine with a smaller turbo automatically makes it a crap engine. I understand if you do not like it but at least have an educated reason. Don't just say its a crap motor because the turbos cannot handle the same amount of boost as a N54.

disclaimer: I don't give a fuck about the N55. I am getting an S65 next week
__________________
Follow my BMW instagram @Bmwmodification Let me know you are from bimmerpost and i'll follow back
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #34
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
333
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwECY View Post
that's a bunch of crap, coming from a n55 owner. let's consider some facts:

-1//m uses n54
-335iS uses n54

the n55 is under-performing with the same mods/tuning as the n54. so, with downpipe, intercooler, and 15+ psi, you'll be nowhere near a n54 with the same hardware/tuning. the n55 is a crap motor that's about to be rendered obsolete when the 2013-14 340i and 440i come out.
Your post is crap.

Oh and how about this. N54 sounds like crap. N55 has an exhaust note of the gods

Last edited by ParkNuts; 09-14-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #35
Beemw335
Colonel
29
Rep
2,016
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: My car is my home

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
The n55 has a chargepipe that will break with a few extra pounds of boost, they made installing a tune much harder(having to tap into all sensors) and put a tiny turbo that doesnt make much power.
The n55 was made to stop people from tuning theyre 335's.
Bmw put the n54 in the 1m for a reason, its a collectors car and they wanted to give them the more powerfull and more tunable engine.
Now whether the m3 uses a worked n54 or n55, it doesnt matter, its a reworked engine, not stock so it doesnt mean anything.
i have been running 16-17 pounds of boost for a year and a half. still on stock charge pipe. You're retarded dude. It is not about stopping us from tuning its for economic purposes. If you take a simple economics class you will understand running a business has a lot to do with efficiency. To be efficient you basically have to make the same product with less material or time. By introducing a single turbo and adding a cheap plastic charge pipe etc they reduced amount of materials needed and can basically create the same car but for less money. Same thing goes with your 1m and 335is statements. They had to do something with the left overs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwECY View Post
that's a bunch of crap, coming from a n55 owner. let's consider some facts:

-1//m uses n54
-335iS uses n54

the n55 is under-performing with the same mods/tuning as the n54. so, with downpipe, intercooler, and 15+ psi, you'll be nowhere near a n54 with the same hardware/tuning. the n55 is a crap motor that's about to be rendered obsolete when the 2013-14 340i and 440i come out.
Please explain how an engine with a smaller turbo automatically makes it a crap engine. I understand if you do not like it but at least have an educated reason. Don't just say its a crap motor because the turbos cannot handle the same amount of boost as a N54.

disclaimer: I don't give a fuck about the N55. I am getting an S65 next week
Thanks for confirming what I said..they skimped out on expensive parts that were used on the n54.
Because theres no point in putting parts that can support 400whp when the car is sold as a 300crank hp car.
And Im sure your getting the s65 because you werent happy with the power you got after tuning your car?
Either way, enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #36
Juiced46
Major
20
Rep
1,032
Posts

 
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wallingford CT

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
Judging from all your posts on this thread, you clearly regret buying the n55, and regret not getting an n54 and now have made it your goal to convince others how the n55 is superior to the n54( which makes more power than the n55 with less mods)
Actually I do not regret buying an N55 at all. Actually my next car will be an N55 as well, either an F10 or F30. I am talking about STOCK vs STOCK. Not about modding, we all know the N54 makes more power modded. Thats no secret. The N54 has also had more R&D time in the modding scene. The N55 is a better motor stock vs the n54, its fact. Why do you think it is offered in EVERY PRODUCTION BMW Model that is on the market today and in the fortcoming years?? I didnt buy my car to try to squeeze every 10hp. I dont give a shit if an N54 makes 20hp more then my car with the same mods. I own, build and drive cars that make more then twice the HP these cars make on a daily basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwECY View Post
that's a bunch of crap, coming from a n55 owner. let's consider some facts:

-1//m uses n54
-335iS uses n54

the n55 is under-performing with the same mods/tuning as the n54. so, with downpipe, intercooler, and 15+ psi, you'll be nowhere near a n54 with the same hardware/tuning. the n55 is a crap motor that's about to be rendered obsolete when the 2013-14 340i and 440i come out.
Whats a bunch of shit? What facts? Yes we know the 1M and iS have an N54 so?

Did you ever step back and think from a BUSINESS standpoint why they have these motors in them. Lets see.

What is the 1M. Its a 1 series body, with full M3 components, suspension, diff etc. It has an N54 which is not produced anymore. It has suspension components that will not be produced anymore. Hmm..... looks to me BMW wanted to put this car out to off load all the extra inventory they had on all of these components, motor, suspension etc because they are no longer used. What else were they going to do with them? They would sit in the warehouses and collect dust. BMW was smart to put the N54 in the 1M and iS when they could. They had all that money sitting there that would have turned into a loss. They didnt put the N54 in there because it was better. They did it for a profit. They could have easily put an N55 in those cars and added software. There is nothing special about it. Its a 30-40hp difference! lol
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #37
BmwECY
Banned
5
Rep
337
Posts

 
Drives: Bmw
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

well, i'll save this post for 2013 when the newly released engine drops into the f30/f32. it will be a 340i and 440i, most likely. over the next few years, when the m3 rolls out, as well, the n55 will be regarded as the economic solution that was in the _35i's from 2011-2013. i doubt it will make substantial power, especially considering how most tuners will jump at the new i-6 in the m3 and 340i/440i.

if you bought a n55, i'm glad you like it and think it's a better engine than the n54. if you like the way it sounds, that's great, too.

throwing out facts about the n55 being a better motor is just plain silly, though.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #38
hetzle
First Lieutenant
9
Rep
335
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Altos, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
The n55 has a chargepipe that will break with a few extra pounds of boost, they made installing a tune much harder(having to tap into all sensors) and put a tiny turbo that doesnt make much power.
The n55 was made to stop people from tuning theyre 335's.
Bmw put the n54 in the 1m for a reason, its a collectors car and they wanted to give them the more powerfull and more tunable engine.
Now whether the m3 uses a worked n54 or n55, it doesnt matter, its a reworked engine, not stock so it doesnt mean anything.
Yeah totally, they built a whole engine around the idea of preventing people from modding it. Makes complete sense.
__________________
2011 335i sedan 6MT, JB4 w/FlexFuel wires, AA 4" DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, AA turbo-back exhaust, UUC DSSR+SSK, ER CP, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, Arkym CF trunk
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #39
BmwECY
Banned
5
Rep
337
Posts

 
Drives: Bmw
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

one last post, a quote that sums it up pretty well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ∆nema View Post
BMW needed a cheaper, less eager to make power engine to justify the aging M3. Thus the N55 was born.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #40
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
BMW_Belgier's Avatar
Switzerland
19
Rep
1,522
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi n55
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwECY View Post
one last post, a quote that sums it up pretty well:
One last post from me:

YOU ARE FULL OF CRAP

You are writing things here that is not even talked about in any inside source of BMW. Your statements are partially economical BS...

Give me and all the others here some proof... No proof means you're BS us
__________________
BEFORE: 130i N52 (2006-2011)
NOW: 335xi N55 (2011- )
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #41
BmwECY
Banned
5
Rep
337
Posts

 
Drives: Bmw
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

you're from switzerland, your argument is invalid
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #42
BmwECY
Banned
5
Rep
337
Posts

 
Drives: Bmw
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

and of course all the n55 owners don't want to hear that their engine is on the verge of being replaced in the f30/f32, or that it was saddle-bagged on purpose, or that bmw views the n54 as a performance engine and the n55 as a lesser one and one that focuses on economy and better fuel delivery (hpfp's and sensors, specifically). no worries though, i'm sure y'all n55'ers have some pretty cars with nice packages. LCI does really look better......too bad you could only get the n54 in a few years of lci models.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #43
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
BMW_Belgier's Avatar
Switzerland
19
Rep
1,522
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi n55
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwECY View Post
you're from switzerland, your argument is invalid
Because i live 200 miles from the factory or because i know people that work there?

NO N55 owner says the N54 is not a more powerfull engine or more easier to tune. But (stock) the N55 is the better engine!

And if maybe you were blocked from the rest of the world:

EVERY SERIES BMW HAS, USES THE N55!!! Give me an economical reason why they would change this after 2 years????
__________________
BEFORE: 130i N52 (2006-2011)
NOW: 335xi N55 (2011- )
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #44
BmwECY
Banned
5
Rep
337
Posts

 
Drives: Bmw
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

i'll give you a few reasons:

-cheaper to use across all their models
-cheaper to build with less complex induction system
-cheaper to build because of internal component changes
-lower maintenance cost because of re-worked fuel system (hpfp's, lpfp's, fps's, etc)
-lower maintenance cost because of 1 turbo versus 2

Last edited by BmwECY; 09-14-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST