E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Has Apple Gotten to Big for it's Own Boots



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
watrob
Major
 
watrob's Avatar
 
Drives: MY2013 X5M 50d - White
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brisbane - Australia

Posts: 1,488
iTrader: (0)

Has Apple Gotten to Big for it's Own Boots

Have been checking on few other forums and alot of people are not happy with Apple and the iPhone 5, not only will BMW cars not fully intergrate with the iPhone 5 but neither will alot of others.

It won't work with Porsche, and I know it won't work with my Ferrari, Audi as well. 95% of cars work with analog input, I would say that the car industry will not be too happy with Apple, and I am certainetly not happy.

I will stick to my 4S, and see what happens when the new 2014 X5 comes out with the new iDrive. BMW will have to act quickly as some models will have the new I drive in the next few months so I see them having some hardware changes to it ASAP or maybe a Combox change which would incorporate a digital to analog converter.

Seems to me its a slap in the face to car industry from Apple, this may force the car industry to adopt a standard and force the phone manufacturers to adopt it so all phones work.

Its about time something changed, I don't think Apple is going to see the large sales of the iphone 5.
__________________

X5 M50d White, 20"rims, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Xenon Adapt Lights, Rear/Side Camera, Sunroof, Auto Tailgate, Comfort Access, Active Perforated Ventilated Comfort Seats, M Paddle Shift, Active Crus, Stop/Go, Proff Nav + TV, DAB, 16 Spk Ind HiFi, USB, Internet, Apps, 4 Zone Air, Towbar 20% Tint, 5mm Castor Bushes, Yellow Calipers, Ceramic Pads
watrob is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
arctic330i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
arctic330i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gainesville, Fl

Posts: 1,920
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
Yet the iPhone 5 sold out of the initial Apple.com online batch in less than in hour... The 4S took 22 hours. I don't think they will have an unsuccessful launch anytime soon.
__________________
See my full mod list in my garage
arctic330i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
GammaZeta
Captain
 
Drives: 1
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ma

Posts: 856
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
and I know it won't work with my Ferrari, Audi as well. 95% of cars work with analog input, I would say that the car industry will not be too happy with Apple, and I am certainetly not happy.
OH NO! You poor guy, the new Iphone won't work with your Ferrari! I feel SO BAD for you.

This is like the time my supermodel girlfriend had a pimple on her back. I called her a freak and told her to come back in a couple weeks when she got it taken care of.

How do all the other regular people deal with these types of problems???

Ok, sarcasm aside now.

Apple stock is trading at $693 with a cap at $648 BILLION.

Ford stock is trading at $10.50 with a cap at $40.6 billion.

General Motors stock is trading at $24.09 with a cap at $44 billion.

VW stock is around, converted, $180 with a cap at $90 billion.

BMW stock is around, converted, $80 with a cap at $52 billion.

Apple has sold 85 million Iphones in the US alone, 34 million Ipads in the US alone, and over 300,000,000 Ipods worldwide.

When you are dealing with the technology leader for hardware, a company that is worth more than almost all car companies combined, a company that sets the trend for technology, fashion and distribution of creative goods (books, music, tv, video), a company that controls how music is bought, stored and played.......

.....car company's will do whatever that company tells them to do.

Bottom line, if Apple wants GM, BMW, Ford, Chrysler, etc., to just produce white cars to match their new Iphones, all new cars will only come in white.

Apple just officially made the car companies their b!t(h.
GammaZeta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
 
Zeros and ones's Avatar
 
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: US

Posts: 322
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 128i  [2.83]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
Bottom line, if Apple wants GM, BMW, Ford, Chrysler, etc., to just produce white cars to match their new Iphones, all new cars will only come in white.

Apple just officially made the car companies their b!t(h.
This works both ways. Apple may be a large company and has sold plenty of iPhones but they would have sold so many iPhones if car companies didn't start integrating them in too.

For a car company to not integrate the iPhone in the cars is a choice they can make. It is not going to brake them.
__________________
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood. NOBODY!!!!!"
Zeros and ones is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
 
Greenkirby21's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 Stringray
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dream Land

Posts: 2,601
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Greenkirby21
so your mad apple changed to a different technology so that the device can be thinner and smaller.

Are you mad your car doesn't play disk(cassette) tapes as well? Or how about that floppy drive on your PC?
__________________
2014 C7 Corvette Stringray - Laguna Blue - NPP Exhaust - Competition Seats
Greenkirby21 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
GammaZeta
Captain
 
Drives: 1
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ma

Posts: 856
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
This works both ways. Apple may be a large company and has sold plenty of iPhones but they would have sold so many iPhones if car companies didn't start integrating them in too.

For a car company to not integrate the iPhone in the cars is a choice they can make. It is not going to brake them.
You'd be surprised that the rise of the Iphone didn't work that way.

Companies DIDN'T integrate with the Iphone. Integration was not the key to the Iphone's success.

The key to the Iphone's success was the branding, quality of Apple, with a product that was revolutionary at the time, that was superior to all other products.

Remember, only ATT had the Iphone to begin with, because it went to the highest bidder, ATT. It was years before Verizon, T-Mobile or Sprint were able to pay Apple to carry the Iphone.

Same thing for the Ipod. The reason for the Ipod's success was quality, branding and innovation.

Apple does not integrate...others change FOR Apple. In fact many industry experts believe the rise of WHITE as the most popular new car color was because of the popularity of Apple products.

Another example. Did the music industry and Apple integrate? NOPE!

Apple offered a cheaper, easier and faster way of listening to, storing, sorting, previewing and purchasing music through their Itunes software. It was the music industry that adapted, not Apple.

When people buy a car, it's mostly for simple reasons: looks, cool features, cool music system, etc.

No one is going to buy a car that doesn't work with Apple. They're not going to have two devices, two music catalogs, two softwares, etc.

They want everything on one device, their Iphone, and they want their car to adapt to what they already have.

The #1 consumer device, electronic device, communication device is the Iphone. Not offering Iphone integration WILL hurt the car sales.
GammaZeta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #7
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
 
Zeros and ones's Avatar
 
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: US

Posts: 322
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 128i  [2.83]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
You'd be surprised that the rise of the Iphone didn't work that way.

Companies DIDN'T integrate with the Iphone. Integration was not the key to the Iphone's success.

The key to the Iphone's success was the branding, quality of Apple, with a product that was revolutionary at the time, that was superior to all other products.

Remember, only ATT had the Iphone to begin with, because it went to the highest bidder, ATT. It was years before Verizon, T-Mobile or Sprint were able to pay Apple to carry the Iphone.
AT&T did not get the iPhone because of the highest bidder.. AT&T was very rocky at the time for a cell company and partnering up with Apple to have exclusive rights was a good business deal. The iPhone was the phone that saved AT&T. The other carriers jumped on because they finally realized that they can make a pretty penny too.... Suck for Sprint because they are doing like crap with selling the iPhone. But I digress....

To even think that cars integrating the iPhone did not lead to some of its success is being blind and a... yes i am going to say it... iSheep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
Same thing for the Ipod. The reason for the Ipod's success was quality, branding and innovation.
actually the success for the ipod was portability... Sony had a device that did exactly what the ipod did. The only problem was that it did not store as much as the ipod did.. and that device was actually flash based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
Apple does not integrate...others change FOR Apple. In fact many industry experts believe the rise of WHITE as the most popular new car color was because of the popularity of Apple products.
You mean to tell me from that just one article that was featured on bimmer post... you need to get out more and look at the car industry... particularly BMW before the iPhone. BMW most popular selling color even way back in the day was Alpine white.

So more many more articles that state that the iPhone is the one that made white popular. LOL.... that is funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
Another example. Did the music industry and Apple integrate? NOPE!

Apple offered a cheaper, easier and faster way of listening to, storing, sorting, previewing and purchasing music through their Itunes software. It was the music industry that adapted, not Apple.
Actually this was Napster that did this first before apple did with there proprietary iTunes. This just never took off because of the bad rap Napster god for illegal sharing.

Also Kazaa back in the day had a pay feature for music even before apple made iTunes and I can name some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
When people buy a car, it's mostly for simple reasons: looks, cool features, cool music system, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
No one is going to buy a car that doesn't work with Apple. They're not going to have two devices, two music catalogs, two softwares, etc.
so what you are is saying that if car manufacturers would stop integrating iPhone, nobody is going to buy cars anymore?

sure.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
They want everything on one device, their Iphone, and they want their car to adapt to what they already have.

The #1 consumer device, electronic device, communication device is the Iphone. Not offering Iphone integration WILL hurt the car sales.
Yea.... people do want everything on one device... this is why it works both ways and it start to gives consumers more choice.

Both have benefited from each other and both saw a good monetary gain but the iPhone is not the do all device anymore and recent surveys show that.
__________________
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood. NOBODY!!!!!"
Zeros and ones is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #8
watrob
Major
 
watrob's Avatar
 
Drives: MY2013 X5M 50d - White
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brisbane - Australia

Posts: 1,488
iTrader: (0)

At the end of the day its cheaper for me to change Phones than to change over my new X5 M50d & my Ferrari. You miss the point, my cars are worth more to me than an Apple. Seven years back Nokia was the great phone company in the world and if I remember Apple was broke?
__________________

X5 M50d White, 20"rims, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Xenon Adapt Lights, Rear/Side Camera, Sunroof, Auto Tailgate, Comfort Access, Active Perforated Ventilated Comfort Seats, M Paddle Shift, Active Crus, Stop/Go, Proff Nav + TV, DAB, 16 Spk Ind HiFi, USB, Internet, Apps, 4 Zone Air, Towbar 20% Tint, 5mm Castor Bushes, Yellow Calipers, Ceramic Pads
watrob is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2012, 05:22 AM   #9
GammaZeta
Captain
 
Drives: 1
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ma

Posts: 856
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
To even think that cars integrating the iPhone did not lead to some of its success is being blind and a... yes i am going to say it... iSheep.

actually the success for the ipod was portability... Sony had a device that did exactly what the ipod did. The only problem was that it did not store as much as the ipod did.. and that device was actually flash based.

You mean to tell me from that just one article that was featured on bimmer post... you need to get out more and look at the car industry... particularly BMW before the iPhone. BMW most popular selling color even way back in the day was Alpine white.

So more many more articles that state that the iPhone is the one that made white popular. LOL.... that is funny.

Actually this was Napster that did this first before apple did with there proprietary iTunes. This just never took off because of the bad rap Napster god for illegal sharing.

Also Kazaa back in the day had a pay feature for music even before apple made iTunes and I can name some more.

so what you are is saying that if car manufacturers would stop integrating iPhone, nobody is going to buy cars anymore?

sure.....

Yea.... people do want everything on one device... this is why it works both ways and it start to gives consumers more choice.

Both have benefited from each other and both saw a good monetary gain but the iPhone is not the do all device anymore and recent surveys show that.
The other carriers did not just "jump on" to the Iphone. Apple determined the Iphone to be a single carrier only. The other phone companies were DYING to get the Iphone ASAP.

The reason Apple went with Iphone on ATT was $$$. When it was first released in 2007, there was an INSTANT demand for the Iphone. It wasn't something ATT or Apple struggled to sell. ATT payed Apple for the privilege to sell it.

For the record, I don't like, nor have I ever owned, an Iphone.

Portability??? There were dozens of mp3 players before the Ipod, all very portable. No, the success of the Ipod was branding/advertising, the click wheel, better technology.

No, it wasn't just from one article. Apple has significantly influenced product design in all industries.

Napster does not equal Itunes. Napster was one of the first pioneers in sharing files. But Itunes revolutionized the price structure, storage and distribution of music. Kazaa may have had a pay structure, but APPLE was the company that had the influence and power behind it to be able to dictate to the record companies the terms.

I am saying that if a car manufacturer did not offer an Ipod integration, many people would look at other alternatives.

What surveys show the Iphone isn't the do all device???

The Iphone (or other smart phones) is GROWING as the do all, single device.
GammaZeta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
GammaZeta
Captain
 
Drives: 1
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ma

Posts: 856
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
At the end of the day its cheaper for me to change Phones than to change over my new X5 M50d & my Ferrari. You miss the point, my cars are worth more to me than an Apple. Seven years back Nokia was the great phone company in the world and if I remember Apple was broke?
But for the majority of the population, integration is a primary function.

Apple was on the decline, because they lost their way in the 90's. Similar to how Microsoft has lost their way last decade...because of Apple.

At the time, there was just too much development and new technology for every company to get it 100% right, every time. Apple made some poor choices back then.

Sure, your cars are worth more to you than other people.

But you'r also not a 17 year old girl shopping for her first car, who finds out that the new Ford Fusion that she thought was "cute" does not connect with her Ipod...but the new VW Passat does!!!!!! Guess which way she'd leaning now?
GammaZeta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
MisterSkiMask
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: I Can not say
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: you must not know

Posts: 1,938
iTrader: (0)

They will integrate wirelessly in due time. So many people want to standardize this and that, don't you know that would kill the progress that we enjoy?
MisterSkiMask is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
cgpublic
Lieutenant
 
cgpublic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 A3 2.0T Quattro
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn to Bronxville

Posts: 477
iTrader: (0)

Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
It won't work with Porsche, and I know it won't work with my Ferrari, Audi as well. 95% of cars work with analog input, I would say that the car industry will not be too happy with Apple, and I am certainetly not happy.
What doesn't work? Yes, the iPhone 5 has a new hard connection technology (aka Lightning), however there is an adapter for the older 30-pin connector not to mention Bluetooth for OTA connectivity.

So, at worst, your existing BMW cradle will not work with the new iPhone 5.

That's technology - progress, not future-proof promises.

Android? Windows Phone? Blackberry? None of these OS options are standardized on a single form factor, so it would not even have been possible to build a cradle to accommodate them, not to mention all of those OS options are so seriously fragmented from a SW perspective, any type of connectively is suspect.

For myself, I'll upgrade to iPhone 5 and iOS 6 and enjoy the additional integration with iDrive.
__________________
Present: Audi A3 2.0T Quattro | Scuba Blue
Past: 2011 E90 335 xDrive (March Build) | Deep Sea Blue | Saddle Brown | Brushed Aluminum
Packages & Options: Premium | Sport | Cold Weather | BMW Apps, iDrive & iPod

Past: 2008 E90 328xi | Montego Blue | Dakota Black | Brushed Aluminum
Packages & Options: Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Heated Seats | iPod
cgpublic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
MPOWERD
New Member
 
MPOWERD's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Land of OZ

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

Yes, they have gotten too big and incredibly arrogant. If Hewlett Packard decided not to partner with Apple to help them release the iPod and iTunes, Apple would have probably gone broke. Most people don't know that the iPod was co-lauched with Hewett-Packard and HP put iTunes on every computer shipped. At the time HP was and still is the worlds largest computer manufacture.

BTW: have you ever seen an HP iPod. They do exist.
MPOWERD is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST