E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > M3 steering wheel onto a 335d e92

06-22-2012, 04:47 AM   #45
NJ 1161
Major

Drives: 335D M3

This just arrived !!

Couple of small marks and very dusty, but after a quick wipe all good. Very pleased!

Won't be fitting till next week however, but looking forward to it!
      06-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #46
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
Thanks AP, appreciate you taking the time to write that up. I've got one mark by the thumb grip which won't shift so I'll speak to a dry cleaner about it. Saying that I let a friend borrow my car and he used a steering lock which has caused a small cut at the bottom of the wheel

BTW isn't your car an auto? My wheel won't fit yours
Steering lock!!! No way!.

Depending on what qoute you get from the dry cleaner, If you have the alcantara retrimmed it wont cost you more than a 100. I believe the BMW performce black is Alcantara colour code 9040.

However is it is the greyish E46 M performance wheel then its something like 9120, but I have it in an email somewhere if you need it.

Shame about the wheel not fitting ... I am still after a v1 or v2

All the best chap.
A_P is offline   United Kingdom
      06-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #47
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel

Oh NJ seriously you got one hell of a cracking deal on that wheel mate. It's a beaut. That is straight plug and play for you. What you will need to do , dissconnect the battery in the boot. then just below the paddles, you will see a small indent, insert a flathead screwdriver and push the release pins until the airbag pops out. ( you can practice this on your M wheel can you see the 2 almost horizontal pins?)

Then disconnect the airbag and the MF loom from the slipring. And unbolt the wheel. Then just bolt the new wheel on and plug everything back in.

In case you were wondering. from the pic. the grey, luminous green connector plugs into the slip ring it is the for the airbag which connects to the dark green connector, the paddles connect the MF buttons and the black connector is for the MF buttom and plugs into slip ring. The brown wire is for the horn. and the small screw in the middle left of the fixing plate is the earth connection.

It's real easy NJ, prob 10-15 mins max, the only tricky thing will be the release pins.

Get it on and get the pics up. !!!!

I too have a week or so before I fit mine. Also do you have any pics of your Alcantara gear and handbrake gaiters? Who was the ebay seller? Would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers pal.
      06-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #48
acerboo
Brigadier General

Drives: e92 335d lci

yes very nice wheel. you wil lneed to change the right hand mf buttons as the m3 ones are different to yours, the torque for the steering wheel nut is 46ft/lbs
acerboo is offline   England
      06-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #49
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
yes very nice wheel. you wil lneed to change the right hand mf buttons as the m3 ones are different to yours, the torque for the steering wheel nut is 46ft/lbs
Would be awesome if the M button worked on his car though
      06-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #50
NJ 1161
Major

Well, all fitted. Took me an hour and a half but I was not rushing. Did fit first time with orig mf buttons, and all mf buttons worked but no paddles.

So changed to original buttons and noticed that originally I had 3 wires for paddles but with new +\- , only 2 wires on new wheel. Anyway put on original mf buttons and bingo.

Wheel feels good. Paddle changes seem crisper as more of a click, and much easier to use. One for up, one for down!

Just need to de shine my airbag to suit the matte finish of the wheel, ( any suggestions welcome) and sell my 335d if anyone interested and a set of mf buttons for a 2011 m3. Hopefully if I can sell bits, might be cost neutral!

And AP, think it was topgaitors I got my alcantara bits from. They are on eBay (search alcantara handbrake, and you should find them), £18 was a bargain for both. Bit fiddle to fit But worth it. Can't comment on quality of alcantara as no expert but i was happy!
      06-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #51
NotNormal
Lieutenant

Drives: Audi A6 Avant 3.0TDi Quattro

NJ .... Steering wheel and paddles looks great.
Ref your need to dull off the airbag, I found this product from zymol works great :

http://www.zymol.co.uk/zymolsprayleathercleaner8oz.aspx

It's a leather care product, but works very well on vinyl.
I used this with a clean microfiber cloth, repeated the process maybe 3 times on my centre arm rest, now it's lost it's shine and looks superb

I believe, after a quick google, halfords sell it for less than 10

Hope that helps

Tom
      06-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #52
NJ 1161
Major

Thanks. Will pick some up at the weekend. 👍
      06-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #53
NJ 1161
Major

If anyone interested just fitted the matching knob!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711352

All fitted by me ( basic DIY skills) and under £200 in parts. Should recoup 75-100% of money back through sale of 335d wheel/ paddles, 2011 m3 multi functions steering wheel buttons x2 and 335d gear knob! Pm me if interested in any parts!
      06-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #54
NotNormal
Lieutenant

Looks great NJ

I've been looking at getting this exact setup for over a year now on and off, but I'm a tight fucker and can't find the parts at a good price lol

Kudos to you

Tom
      06-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #55
NJ 1161
Major

eBays your friend!

Keep thinking about the egr delete you've done, and boy your racking up some miles!

Since I been watching your 'egr' thread I think I've done 350 mile tops vs your 3500 miles!

( and it's Nick btw)
      06-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #56
NotNormal
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ 1161 View Post
eBays your friend!

Keep thinking about the egr delete you've done, and boy your racking up some miles!

Since I been watching your 'egr' thread I think I've done 350 mile tops vs your 3500 miles!

( and it's Nick btw)
Hi Nick, yeah, I do some miles....I use the car as my workvan.
The car ticks all the boxes tbh, I like driving it, looks ok, goes well, returns good econ for the performance I get, reasonable servicing costs, the only slight down side is the tyre cost.....but I can live with that.

The egr delete has made the drive of the car allot better - recommended mod

Yeah, I search eBay regularly .... But I get board or frustrated and give up searching periodically, then return back later and search
Lol

As previously said, liking what you've done so far with your car.

Post up some more details, I'm interested in seeing more

Tom
      06-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #57
NJ 1161
Major

Great work van! Wish I drove mine more. Just as i got the car, got given a little c30 R Volvo from work ( no tax, completely free) so spend most days using this.

Will get round to egr, but got list of mods sitting in the garage to do as yet. Need to pull finger out, and will post up a thread when get time, but want some decent pics to do justice!

Oh, and eBay, you have to 'watch' to get a bargain, be clever with your 'search' key words or mail buyers direct and try to get a deal!
      06-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #58
NJ 1161
Major

Well, mf buttons and gearknob sold to forum members. Just the 335d wheel with paddles to go. Anyone know what price I should be posting this for sale at?
      09-18-2012, 04:31 AM   #59
NJ 1161
Major

Little update if anyone thinking about this mod. I added extended paddles. Got them for £55 posted direct from supplier (£80 normally in uk)

Bit fiddle to fit as have to break the paddle down a couple of stages , but not difficult, just have patience and hold nerve ( and not loose the little ball bearing))

Fell great and look that little but more special.

Original wheel still for sale with paddles if anyone wants one??