E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Loud but not loud enough

09-18-2012, 02:48 AM   #23
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjm127 View Post
Hmm... not sure about that at all. Sorry!
Its alright, from my understanding, the wider the pipes, no backpressure/ torque build up, the more air flow thus deeper tone, and smaller pipes equal more backpressure, less freeflowing, and higher pitched sounds. I was just curious incase you'd wanna try changing to smaller pipes, but anything under 3k with the loud race whine will eventually get annoying and create more drone than wanted. I've been in many race/track cars and I've gotta say the noise gets irritating when you're at a drive thru and its screaming at you or your fellow drivers and especially when you're on the phone on idle or from a cold start early in the morning, the neighbors will eventually try to do something to your car ( real story coming from me) so just keep those little things in mind just incase. Please post sound clips, id really love to hear it
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #24
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
Its alright, from my understanding, the wider the pipes, no backpressure/ torque build up, the more air flow thus deeper tone, and smaller pipes equal more backpressure, less freeflowing, and higher pitched sounds. I was just curious incase you'd wanna try changing to smaller pipes, but anything under 3k with the loud race whine will eventually get annoying and create more drone than wanted. I've been in many race/track cars and I've gotta say the noise gets irritating when you're at a drive thru and its screaming at you or your fellow drivers and especially when you're on the phone on idle or from a cold start early in the morning, the neighbors will eventually try to do something to your car ( real story coming from me) so just keep those little things in mind just incase. Please post sound clips, id really love to hear it
That's some interesting information there. What pipes are we talking about though? The ones after the (deleted) cat all the way to the tips? Or even from before the cat?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #25
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjm127 View Post
That's some interesting information there. What pipes are we talking about though? The ones after the (deleted) cat all the way to the tips? Or even from before the cat?
The ones after the cats, the ones before the cats are only 2 in. In diameter. I think PE comes with 2.5 piping ? Not too sure
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0