E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Dear Suicidal Republican Party

02-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
OldArmy
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Dear Suicidal Republican Party

An open letter to the Republican Party Leadership--

Dear Leadership/candidates/other influencers,

Let's try to stay on task kids. I don't want you to start steering the debate into the social/moral/conservative nanny realm. I want you to stay with the focus of limited government, rational taxes and the economy. I don't want you to divert the conversation into marriage, gays, abortion, religious freedom, contraception, god's place in your life or anything else. It's a loser and there is no persuading anyone. The republican party will lose the independents--they will walk away or stay home in droves come November. And we will lose the presidential election BY A LANDSLIDE. You've got to focus--making Obama a one-term president. Just for the next few months quick dicking around with the private choices of the people and get back on message and address the big picture, the main event. And if you can't get the radical right to cooperate at least have the balls to kick them to the curb and deal with the consequences. Nobody wants you in their personal lives--you aren't qualified for that duty.

Damn!

(OK, back to our regularly scheduled political programming....)
OldArmy is offline   United_States
      02-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Drives: 2011 128i space gray vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmy View Post
Viable? Right now it seems Generic Candidate is good enough to beat the pretender. Pretty sad state of affairs for the annointed one, incumbent and all.
Quote:
Barry's earth-shaking proposals are truly too little, too late. Maybe if he had come forward a couple of years ago they might have had some limited relevance but not now. He's an amateur with no accomplishments, no focus, no talent, no balls and no ideas. He is such a lightweight that it's sad. And now, finally, after squandering his massive political capital on his left-liberal agenda, he comes with this set of solutions that no one thinks will do anything substantive to fix our employment challenges. Too late Barry! Too late for you to help Americans and too late for you to save a second term. We elect presidents to fix things and all he's done is waste our time.
Quote:
In retrospect it might have been smarter for obama to spend his valuable time and political capital on jobs and the economy. But, the agenda must be realized! When this one-term president exits stage left he will have only a legacy of screwing up the country and doing nothing to fix what ails us. Maybe voters will learn that experience and real life accomplishment actually does count for something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchAndCigar View Post
You just started this thread so you could make this little speech of yours, because deep-down you know that none of these republican flakes stand a chance in hell of beating Obama. And with that, I'm done "debating" with you - what a joke.
Just thought this would be an appropriate time to take a stroll down memory lane.
ScotchAndCigar is offline   United_States
      02-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
128vertinnoho
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 128iC

Quote:

Let's try to stay on task kids. I don't want you to start steering the debate into the social/moral/conservative nanny realm. I want you to stay with the focus of limited government, rational taxes and the economy. I don't want you to divert the conversation into marriage, gays, abortion, religious freedom, contraception, god's place in your life or anything else. It's a loser and there is no persuading anyone. The republican party will lose the independents--they will walk away or stay home in droves come November. And we will lose the presidential election BY A LANDSLIDE. You've got to focus--making Obama a one-term president. Just for the next few months quick dicking around with the private choices of the people and get back on message and address the big picture, the main event. And if you can't get the radical right to cooperate at least have the balls to kick them to the curb and deal with the consequences. Nobody wants you in their personal lives--you aren't qualified for that duty.

Damn!

Good to see at least one Republican 'gets it'. I'm a liberal democrat and I truly hope most in your party continue down this path of making 'social' issues the crux of their campaign. As you say, they will lose in a landslide come November.
128vertinnoho is offline   United_States
      02-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
Q4P
Colonel

Drives: Too Much

I think that's a pretty fair way to put it... IMHO, who gives a shit about social issues in the first place on the political scene, these are the last things we should be worried about right now.
      02-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
txz4
Major

Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4P View Post
I think that's a pretty fair way to put it... IMHO, who gives a shit about social issues in the first place on the political scene, these are the last things we should be worried about right now.
though im not what you would call a republican.

People car about the economy most of all, its dumb for conservative and republican nominees to say anything on social issues. They bitch when Obama does a stupid social program yet its okay to legislate social policy when your a republican? They need to get with the program, their is a massive amount of libertarian leaning people out there that are just hoping for the opportunity to get Obama out of office and right the ship. Did the whole tea party movement mean nothing to these people? I was at the Biggest one outside of Washington, in San Antonio, all the people their were concerned about the state of the economy, not gay marriage, not abortion but the economy.
      02-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Damn!

Let's face it. The curtain would have been pulled back sooner or later. This is what the GOP really believes. These social issues more or less define the Republican party today and is yet another example of how out of step with the majority of the country the GOP is. When the tea party says they want to take the country back they really mean they want to take the country back to a time when women were forced to have back alley abortions and minorities had no civil rights and gay people were forced to live in the closet. That is not the America we live in today, thank God.
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
      02-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Q4P
Colonel

Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
though im not what you would call a republican.

People car about the economy most of all, its dumb for conservative and republican nominees to say anything on social issues. They bitch when Obama does a stupid social program yet its okay to legislate social policy when your a republican? They need to get with the program, their is a massive amount of libertarian leaning people out there that are just hoping for the opportunity to get Obama out of office and right the ship. Did the whole tea party movement mean nothing to these people? I was at the Biggest one outside of Washington, in San Antonio, all the people their were concerned about the state of the economy, not gay marriage, not abortion but the economy.
well I myself am a libertarian as well but I know full well that all of our available options suck majorly. Obama is not my cup of tea not has ever been, in fact the country has become scary since he got elected. Mitt is bought by banks and newt is out of touch with reality... I am voting for myself.
      02-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
128vertinnoho
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 128iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
Let's face it. The curtain would have been pulled back sooner or later. This is what the GOP really believes. These social issues more or less define the Republican party today and is yet another example of how out of step with the majority of the country the GOP is. When the tea party says they want to take the country back they really mean they want to take the country back to a time when women were forced to have back alley abortions and minorities had no civil rights and gay people were forced to live in the closet. That is not the America we live in today, thank God.
+1
128vertinnoho is offline   United_States
      02-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
tommy
Benz Interloper

Drives: 2002 Benz C230, 1990 CRX ZcSi

The Republican "leadership" just can't help it - it's like telling a dog not to chase cars.

I'm not giddy about Obama, but I'll take another 4 years of stalemates over throwing us back into the dark ages. Really, you're going to bring up condoms in 2012?
tommy is offline   United_States
      02-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
ideliver
Major

Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4P View Post
well I myself am a libertarian as well but I know full well that all of our available options suck majorly. Obama is not my cup of tea not has ever been, in fact the country has become scary since he got elected. Mitt is bought by banks and newt is out of touch with reality... I am voting for myself.
haha....I could not agree more
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

02-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
M_Six
Free Thinker

Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic

Garage List
Seems to me any true fiscal conservative would have realized about 8 or 10 years ago when Bush & Co. were growing the gov't by leaps and bounds and spending money like it grew on trees that the GOP was no longer concerned with the economy. The GOP has become the American Taliban. They want the Christian version of Sharia law. The Dems are better about social issues, but they want to be everyone's fairy godmother no matter how undeserving the recipient. And they love the idea of a giant government octopus with its tentacles reaching into everything. So where does that leave those of us who just want some simple common sense in gov't?

Go ahead and tax me, but dammit, spend it wisely. Get out of the housing business. Get out of the bedrooms. Stop the Fascist bullshit you call "security." All I want to do is live my life, earn my pay, spend my money, and live in peace. I was able to do it 20 years or so ago. What the hell happened?

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is online now   United_States
      02-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
ideliver
Major

Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Seems to me any true fiscal conservative would have realized about 8 or 10 years ago when Bush & Co. were growing the gov't by leaps and bounds and spending money like it grew on trees that the GOP was no longer concerned with the economy. The GOP has become the American Taliban. They want the Christian version of Sharia law. The Dems are better about social issues, but they want to be everyone's fairy godmother no matter how undeserving the recipient. And they love the idea of a giant government octopus with its tentacles reaching into everything. So where does that leave those of us who just want some simple common sense in gov't?

Go ahead and tax me, but dammit, spend it wisely. Get out of the housing business. Get out of the bedrooms. Stop the Fascist bullshit you call "security." All I want to do is live my life, earn my pay, spend my money, and live in peace. I was able to do it 20 years or so ago. What the hell happened?
plain and simple....those in power want to stay in power...and they say and do whatever is politically expediant...

is not a "D" v "R" thing....it's an elected class v rules class thing...we are all pawns...

but your polical views are the mainstream and are not represented by either party
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

02-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
S1000RR Drag Racer
Private

Drives: '11 S1000RR,'01 330i,'08 328ci

It is amazing how some politicians that have done absolutely nothing since 2008. They have the nerve to boast about it actually think they have a chance of keeping their jobs like the former governor of California, Gray Davis. Americans remember what is going on right now more than anything, but they also remember how you laid down when you had a chance to work for your country like they did during September 11th, 2001 and not your party. Any Democrat or Republican that screwed us since 2008 will pay a price like so many Americans have and they will have the honor and priviledge of meeting them at the UNEMPLOYMENT OFFICE!!!
S1000RR Drag Racer is offline   United_States
      09-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #14
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Damn!

Wow after today your post appears to be very prophetic. Obviously Mitt Romney didn't get your message. Seems the wheels are starting to come off the Romney campaign. Is this guy so out of touch he can't even hear his own constituents????
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
      09-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #15
rgrovr
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 335xi E90

So the mideast is literally en fuego across 20 countries, screaming Death to America.. and the focus is Mitt's campaign?

The Pres says Egypt isn't our ally.. but Mitt has problems?

The Administration is blaming a 3 month old video for a well-planned terrorist attack, on 9-11 no less, and the first Ambassador killed since 1979.. but Mitt is off message?

Israel states they may attack Iran within months.. buuuuut Mitt is losing the election?

ANNNNNNNDdddd......
- 8.1% Unemployment (43 months above 8%)
- Less jobs created this year than in 2011
- 47 million people on FoodStamps
- 1 in 6 Americans in Poverty
- $5t in new debt since Obama took office
- President's budget voted down 97-0 and 414-0
- Gitmo still open
- Drone attacks killing American citizens (and you cried about waterboarding..lol)
- Gas prices doubled in 4 years
- Median income down $4,000
- 23 million either unemployed or underemployed
- Lowest workforce participation rate in 30 years
- Healthcare costs up 10% year over year in 2011
- $240k for each job created by Stimulus (3.3m)

But with a record like this - Mitt damn near isn't even in the equation. Just like 2008 was anybody but Bush or anything remotely close to him.. this year will be anybody but Obama.

Short of Mitt screamin "I hate black people" on video - Obama can't escape this record.
2008 335xi E90 Black Sapphire -||- PERFORMANCE: JB4 -DCI - AR Catless DPs - Helix FMIC - Forge DVs - KW V3 Suspension - BSH OCC -||- COSMETIC: 19" M3 Reps - OEM Perf. Front - MTech Sides - MTech Rear - OEM CF Spoiler - CF Kidney Grills - LUX H8 - LED Interior Kit - CF Wrap Trim - M3 iDrive Knob
      09-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #16
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrovr View Post
Just like 2008 was anybody but Bush or anything remotely close to him.. this year will be anybody but Obama.

Short of Mitt screamin "I hate black people" on video - Obama can't escape this record.
Believe me, even as a Democrat I feel your pain. The frustration in your post is palpable. In an election year when Republicans should be walking away with the presidency it appears they are losing badly to someone they despise viscerally.

Even in an any "anybody but the other guy" election year (which it is for Republicans) you need to have an acceptable alternative to the general electorate. Sadly, the Repblicans don't. It must be unbelieveably demoralizing for the entire party.

Last edited by BKsBimmer; 09-18-2012 at 06:14 AM.
      09-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #17
MiddleAgedAl
First Lieutenant

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrovr View Post
- 8.1% Unemployment (43 months above 8%)
- Less jobs created this year than in 2011
- 47 million people on FoodStamps
- 1 in 6 Americans in Poverty
- $5t in new debt since Obama took office
- President's budget voted down 97-0 and 414-0
- Gitmo still open
- Drone attacks killing American citizens (and you cried about waterboarding..lol)
- Gas prices doubled in 4 years
- Median income down $4,000
- 23 million either unemployed or underemployed
- Lowest workforce participation rate in 30 years
- Healthcare costs up 10% year over year in 2011
- $240k for each job created by Stimulus (3.3m)

Ironically, the same points you mention here, which are all continuing to suppress a vibrant economy, are the same points that are keeping Obama as popular as he is with a certain segment of the electorate.

The more people who remain without a job at all, or are underemployed, are the same people who benefit from government entitlement programs. As the POTUS continues to fumble the ball on the economy, the longer these people are out of the workforce, the harder it becomes for them to get back in, and the more dependant they become on Uncle Sam's handouts. The whole thing feeds on itself. As that segment of the population continues to grow, (or fails to shrink), his actions are essentially creating more people who are primed to be more sympathetic to his message.

When someone else comes along and starts talking about reducing the opportunities for people to suckle at the taxpayers teat, then those who are currently doing the suckling are hardly going to be receptive to that message, are they ?

If you ask me, that is the biggest single reason the Republicans are failing to walk away with the contest to the degree that Obama's results suggest they should.
      09-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
48Laws
Captain

Drives: '11 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
Ironically, the same points you mention here, which are all continuing to suppress a vibrant economy, are the same points that are keeping Obama as popular as he is with a certain segment of the electorate.

The more people who remain without a job at all, or are underemployed, are the same people who benefit from government entitlement programs. As the POTUS continues to fumble the ball on the economy, the longer these people are out of the workforce, the harder it becomes for them to get back in, and the more dependant they become on Uncle Sam's handouts. The whole thing feeds on itself. As that segment of the population continues to grow, (or fails to shrink), his actions are essentially creating more people who are primed to be more sympathetic to his message.

When someone else comes along and starts talking about reducing the opportunities for people to suckle at the taxpayers teat, then those who are currently doing the suckling are hardly going to be receptive to that message, are they ?

If you ask me, that is the biggest single reason the Republicans are failing to walk away with the contest to the degree that Obama's results suggest they should.
What are these Uncle Sam handouts you speak of. Entitlement programs? One thing that's true with these topics, is that many of you speak generally. It's kind of like throwing lighter fluid on a flame and screaming "FIRE!!!" hoping no one see you. Other than unemployment benefits (the employee actually contributed to this fund by their working hours etc), what other gov't-aided bennies are available? Welfare? One cannot stay on welfare indefinitely and to qualify is not as easy as you may believe. Besides, the majority of people on welfare are women and children and not Harold the layed-off engineer. Give me a break.
      09-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #19
48Laws
Captain

Quote:

What are these Uncle Sam handouts you speak of. Entitlement programs? One thing that's true with these topics, is that many of you speak generally. It's kind of like throwing lighter fluid on a flame and screaming "FIRE!!!" hoping no one sees you. Other than unemployment benefits (the employee actually contributed to this fund by their working hours etc), what other gov't-aided bennies are available? Welfare? One cannot stay on welfare indefinitely and to qualify is not as easy as you may believe. Besides, the majority of people on welfare are women and children and not Harold the laid-off engineer. Give me a break.
      09-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
MiddleAgedAl
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
What are these Uncle Sam handouts you speak of. Entitlement programs?
According to the Census Bureau, 49% of Americans in the second quarter of 2011 lived in a household where at least one member received a government benefit. (The total population at the time was 305 million).

Thatís up from 30% in the 1980s and 44.4% in the third quarter of 2008, a recent growth in part attributable to the bad economy of President Obamaís first term.

What are these handouts, as determined by the census bureau?

-Medicaid
-Social Security
-food stamps
-Medicare
-assistance with their rent
-unemployment benefits
-Elderly tax benefits (the extra standard deduction for the elderly, the exclusion of a portion of Social Security benefits, and the credit for the elderly)
-child and dependent care tax credit
-Earned Income Tax Credit
-Exclusion of other cash transfers (such as welfare and disability payments)
-Tax-exempt interest and some other deductions, such as for retirement savings
-Itemized deductions
-Education credits

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2012/0...s-47-comments/
      09-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #21
48Laws
Captain

Quote:
According to the Census Bureau, 49% of Americans in the second quarter of 2011 lived in a household where at least one member received a government benefit. (The total population at the time was 305 million).

That’s up from 30% in the 1980s and 44.4% in the third quarter of 2008, a recent growth in part attributable to the bad economy of President Obama’s first term.

What are these handouts, as determined by the census bureau?

-Medicaid
-Social Security
-food stamps
-Medicare
-assistance with their rent
-unemployment benefits
-Elderly tax benefits (the extra standard deduction for the elderly, the exclusion of a portion of Social Security benefits, and the credit for the elderly)
-child and dependent care tax credit
-Earned Income Tax Credit
-Exclusion of other cash transfers (such as welfare and disability payments)
-Tax-exempt interest and some other deductions, such as for retirement savings
-Itemized deductions
-Education credits

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2012/0...s-47-comments/
Firstly, nearly every American is receiving a governmental tax credit of some sort...from "Rodney, the Vietnam vet." to Romney himself. That point is moot. Again, unemployment benefits are only activated because someone HAS worked and has contributed to that fund via their employer. Likewise, several of your "Uncle Sam handouts" deal with the elderly who have already contributed such as SS. Are you going to forfeit your SS when the time arises? Education benefits? Really? That's a handout? What about the universities, colleges, trade schools , corporations that receive huge tax exemptions for doing business? If you own a home, don't you receive a tax credit annually? Hmmm. What about Gov't regulated home interest rates that prevents usury, for example? Food stamps is not a handout. What's the alternative? Having hungry children populate our nation? Even with this aid, many go hungry. You judge a nation by how they treat their children and animals. You're making it seem like Obama is handing out free Play Stations and Abercrombie and Fitch to the poor, lazy and lame. Food and shelter is not a handout, my friend. It's a necessity. You're reaching.
      09-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #22
MiddleAgedAl
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
Besides, the majority of people on welfare are women and children and not Harold the laid-off engineer.
Not sure what the point is with this distinction here. My premise is that more people than ever before have been struggling financially, and those people who become dependant on entitlements are more likely to vote for Obama. The cycle feeds off itself. Hence the strong polling numbers for Barry, despite his track record so far.

Obviously children cant vote, but their single moms can, and last I checked, their 1 vote counts just as much as Harold the laid-off engineer, even if Harold was making more per year than she did in 5 years. Thus, the single mom will influence the results of popularity polls today, and even more importantly, when in the actual voting booth in November. For every wealthy person (or middle class who ASPIRES to be wealthy) who might prefer Romney in a poll, there will be more new food stamp recipients than him who wont, and that ratio will get bigger and bigger with each passing quarter of financial misery.

I still stand by my original assertion; the failure of Obamanomics to put folks back to work will ironically increase his chances to win as those folks dont want to cut off the only hand that remains feeding them.