E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cobb AP

09-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
StealthFish
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i E92 (Crimson Fury)

Cobb AP

I just received the AccessPort and I am not sure of the difference between the "Stock Throttle" and the "Linear Throttle." Any help would be great. I am waiting for answer before I actually flash my car with a map, fearing I might use the wrong one.

Thank you,
Dav
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

Drives: '07 E92 335i, '07 E70 X5 4.8i

The stock throttle is just that, it is mapped to feel the same as the stock throttle. The Linear Throttle map is a more linear feel to the throttle response. You can load either of them. Try them both and see which one you prefer. Its more of a personal taste thing. Some people prefer one over the other.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
StealthFish
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Wouldn't the linear throttle response be better? The throttle response for the stock one is kind of slow, especially taking off from a stop. Thank you for answering my thread so quickly. Can't wait to flash my car. I think I will go with the "Linear Throttle."

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
StealthFish
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Which one do you guys prefer if it is for aggressive driving and response?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
ihc95
Major
Rep

Drives: TiAg E92 335i

Garage List
Actually you will have worse response with the linear throttle. The stock throttle is aggressively tuned so the take off will feel better. 80% throttle is actually WOT with the stock throttle. Linear with feel slower because it gives you the power directly proportional to how much throttle you are applying. I.e. 50% throttle = 50% power etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
cadillacgrills
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: AW E92 6 MT

I'm only one month into having Cobb installed but after trying both for a few days each, I prefer the stock throttle. It feels more responsive and you feel the power more instantly, especially while shifting into second ( I have 6MT). I really wanted to use the linear, as this seemed to be the most popular. As mentioned, it is what you prefer so try both! Cobb makes it easy to change.
I would like to see a more technical explanation of what each does, or is supposed to do.
      09-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacgrills View Post
I'm only one month into having Cobb installed but after trying both for a few days each, I prefer the stock throttle. It feels more responsive and you feel the power more instantly, especially while shifting into second ( I have 6MT). I really wanted to use the linear, as this seemed to be the most popular. As mentioned, it is what you prefer so try both! Cobb makes it easy to change.
I would like to see a more technical explanation of what each does, or is supposed to do.
It's basically requested load via TPS requested/Accel Pedal Pos. I'll post some pics when I get home of how the tables look in ATR if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Last edited by Ænema; 09-18-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
StealthFish
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
It's basically requested load via TPS requested/Accel Pedal Pos. I'll post some pics when I get home of how the tables look in ATR if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Please do, that would be amazing to have. Although I have flashed my ECU to the linear throttle and have not driven my car yet, I am going to change it to the stock throttle so that will be my base map. I will then change the map on the go to linear.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I used to have the Cobb AP on my WRX and I had 2 different maps. A base, for when the battery dies or something, the map will be reset. Then the on the go map is for when you change it while you are on the road and the engine is running. Does the Cobb AP for the BMW have this feature? Can I still do this?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Linear is for a predicted feel in response. Stock is not a 1:1 Ratio so 20% input might equate to 30% throttle opening (arbitrarily speaking).

The stock throttle mapping "feels" faster but it isn't actually faster.

For those that want to be surprised by a sudden surge of power run linear.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:24 AM   #10
gotchuckz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFish View Post
I just received the AccessPort and I am not sure of the difference between the "Stock Throttle" and the "Linear Throttle." Any help would be great. I am waiting for answer before I actually flash my car with a map, fearing I might use the wrong one.

Thank you,
Dav
Taken from Cobbtuning.com

The factory stock throttle mapping is non-linear and tends to be much more aggressive in the initial range of throttle pedal. This throttle mapping gives drivers that “kick in the pants” feel of power ramping up very quickly.

The COBB Tuning linear throttle mapping keeps throttle profile linear across the entire range of the throttle pedal. Linear throttle is more appropriate for driving on a race track or for drivers that prefer a very predictable and consistent throttle pedal throughout the entire range.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFish View Post
Please do, that would be amazing to have. Although I have flashed my ECU to the linear throttle and have not driven my car yet, I am going to change it to the stock throttle so that will be my base map. I will then change the map on the go to linear.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I used to have the Cobb AP on my WRX and I had 2 different maps. A base, for when the battery dies or something, the map will be reset. Then the on the go map is for when you change it while you are on the road and the engine is running. Does the Cobb AP for the BMW have this feature? Can I still do this?

Thanks.
Here's the ST vs LT throttle tables. ST on the left LT on the right. As Jeff@TGS has already said it's not a 1/1 ratio but a linear increase.

Currently Cobb doesn't offer on the fly map switching, but i think they're working on it.

Subarus ECU works a lot differently than the MSD80/81 ECU(DME). IIRC(it's been 2+ years since i've messed with a Subie) it references battery voltage to determine IPW/DC/Injector dwell so that's probably why there's a need for a "low battery" base map. But i'm no subaru expert so that could definitely be wrong.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
StealthFish
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
Here's the ST vs LT throttle tables. ST on the left LT on the right. As Jeff@TGS has already said it's not a 1/1 ratio but a linear increase.

Currently Cobb doesn't offer on the fly map switching, but i think they're working on it.

Subarus ECU works a lot differently than the MSD80/81 ECU(DME). IIRC(it's been 2+ years since i've messed with a Subie) it references battery voltage to determine IPW/DC/Injector dwell so that's probably why there's a need for a "low battery" base map. But i'm no subaru expert so that could definitely be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchuckz View Post
Taken from Cobbtuning.com

The factory stock throttle mapping is non-linear and tends to be much more aggressive in the initial range of throttle pedal. This throttle mapping gives drivers that “kick in the pants” feel of power ramping up very quickly.

The COBB Tuning linear throttle mapping keeps throttle profile linear across the entire range of the throttle pedal. Linear throttle is more appropriate for driving on a race track or for drivers that prefer a very predictable and consistent throttle pedal throughout the entire range.
Thanks everyone. All of this was a learning experience. I will actually probably stick with the stock throttle, according to my driving preference but will also try the linear throttle for a week and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0