E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 8/82 warranty and the "fix everything else that it could be 1st" song and dance



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
332
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335I
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Turbotown

iTrader: (0)

Question 8/82 warranty and the "fix everything else that it could be 1st" song and dance

I have my car in for rattling turbos and slow spool. I was given a loaner and didn't hear back from them until the very end of the day. With baited breath I waited to hear that I would be getting new turbos. Instead I was told that my vacuum solenoids need to be replaced, and that its not covered under warranty. They said BMW wouldn't go further with the turbos until we did this first. At least they said it might still rattle afterwards- in which case they would go forward. But BMW seems to think that the rattling on my 07 with 72k on it could be caused by these solenoids instead. Am I being jerked around or does this sound about right?


I authorized the repair, but i'm crossing my fingers that the rattle will still be there and I end up with new turbos either way.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
244
Rep
18,392
Posts


 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
It will likely still rattle but will help with with spool up.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
marv85
Colonel
marv85's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
2,558
Posts

 
Drives: '07 335i MT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland

iTrader: (5)

I just changed the solenoids. Turbos spool faster and hold boost better. They still rattle though.
__________________
'10 E92 335i , COBB
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
cn555ic's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
18,287
Posts


 
Drives: Bimmerscoding.com
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Solenoids that don't work correctly will definitely hamper the boost, as for the rattle not so much.
__________________
917-939-4980 CODING E and F Series New York Area

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
TT3 iN NyC
Colonel
TT3 iN NyC's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
2,314
Posts

 
Drives: AW/CR e92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: nYc

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to TT3 iN NyC
How much do boost solenoids go for?
__________________
'07 e92 335i: Alpine White/Coral Red/Aluminum Trim
COBB S2+FMIC | Stett CAI | Stett CP | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | AR DPs | 335iS Mufflers |
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
332
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335I
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Turbotown

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Solenoids that don't work correctly will definitely hamper the boost, as for the rattle not so much.
Well that hopefully means new turbos, right?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
332
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335I
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Turbotown

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT3 iN NyC View Post
How much do boost solenoids go for?
They want almost 400 to replace both.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
chancejat
First Lieutenant
chancejat's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
310
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: usa

iTrader: (2)

replace them yourself...takes about 10 minutes
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
n54door
Captain
n54door's Avatar
10
Rep
624
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: DFW

iTrader: (5)

tell them to measure the tolerances for the wastegate actuator arm and lever, and inspect the wastegate lever bushings. That will determine if you need the turbos/wg repaired.

Solenoids have nothing to do with a car rattling.

Remind them a obvious rattle/clanking sound is typically caused by sizeable mechanical parts (like wastegates levers) clanking around, it 'rattles'.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
pits200
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
33
Rep
1,916
Posts

 
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54door View Post
tell them to measure the tolerances for the wastegate actuator arm and lever, and inspect the wastegate lever bushings. That will determine if you need the turbos/wg repaired.

Solenoids have nothing to do with a car rattling.

Remind them a obvious rattle/clanking sound is typically caused by sizeable mechanical parts (like wastegates levers) clanking around, it 'rattles'.
Actually, with weak solenoids it won't allow the wastegate to have full movement if its not reaching the proper hgs. Can this also lead to rattle, I'm not totally sure but there is no evidence saying it would or wouldn't.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #11
wren57
Roll Tide
wren57's Avatar
30
Rep
1,592
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Down South

iTrader: (8)

Are you talking about the VANOS solenoids or different ones?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #12
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
332
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335I
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Turbotown

iTrader: (0)

They are talking about the vacuum or boost solenoid. I just hope that when it still is rattling afterwards, they will then go on and do the turbos...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
pits200
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
33
Rep
1,916
Posts

 
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomos319 View Post
They are talking about the vacuum or boost solenoid. I just hope that when it still is rattling afterwards, they will then go on and do the turbos...
I would have got something from the dealer stating that after the vac solenoid replacement that if it didn't solve things then they would change the turbos.

To be out 400 on a 200 job is a rip-off especially since it's unlikely both solenoids are bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #14
n54door
Captain
n54door's Avatar
10
Rep
624
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: DFW

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Actually, with weak solenoids it won't allow the wastegate to have full movement if its not reaching the proper hgs. Can this also lead to rattle, I'm not totally sure but there is no evidence saying it would or wouldn't.
Correct, but the rattle is typically from excess play in mechanical parts. A solenoid wouldn't cause a rattle, just incorrect target boost.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
shortseller
CCA Member #355457
shortseller's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,226
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 F80
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (0)

My guess is your local authorized BMW service shop doesn't care if they get paid from you or from BMW for the most part. If fact I would tend to lean towards they would rather make you happy, with less out of pocket, to keep you coming back after you are out of your 4/50 warranty.




Quote:
Originally Posted by atomos319 View Post
I have my car in for rattling turbos and slow spool. I was given a loaner and didn't hear back from them until the very end of the day. With baited breath I waited to hear that I would be getting new turbos. Instead I was told that my vacuum solenoids need to be replaced, and that its not covered under warranty. They said BMW wouldn't go further with the turbos until we did this first. At least they said it might still rattle afterwards- in which case they would go forward. But BMW seems to think that the rattling on my 07 with 72k on it could be caused by these solenoids instead. Am I being jerked around or does this sound about right?


I authorized the repair, but i'm crossing my fingers that the rattle will still be there and I end up with new turbos either way.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #16
pits200
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
33
Rep
1,916
Posts

 
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
My guess is your local authorized BMW service shop doesn't care if they get paid from you or from BMW for the most part. If fact I would tend to lean towards they would rather make you happy, with less out of pocket, to keep you coming back after you are out of your 4/50 warranty.
The dealership doesn't care but they're afraid of the local rep. If they would approve a repair like that and the local rep found out that it was something that shouldn't have been approved, you can trust that the dealership most likely wouldn't be paid.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #17
shortseller
CCA Member #355457
shortseller's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,226
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 F80
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
The dealership doesn't care but they're afraid of the local rep. If they would approve a repair like that and the local rep found out that it was something that shouldn't have been approved, you can trust that the dealership most likely wouldn't be paid.
My comment assumes following corporate protocol.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #18
Xander
I'm new
Xander's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
248
Posts

 
Drives: 997 carrera, Golf R
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY

iTrader: (4)

I had my turbos replaced after a bunch of other "fixes" and they still rattle. I don't care though, I was happy to get fresh turbos after 70K miles. I can dial down the rattle with the PROcede fix, but it's still there. Whatever.

X...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
24
Rep
1,760
Posts

 
Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (0)

Here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ront+wastegate

Mine were very loose, but the WG shaft only had a small amount of play. Also adjusted a customer car earlier this week due to low boost 30FF code. It would boost, just not to target with JB4 at low RPMs. Also blasted out severe carbon buildup in the intake - 80k miles and it had never been done.
__________________
RRT Racing
E92 335i/6MT Dinan Stage 3: intercooler, oil cooler, intake, flash, exhaust, LW dual-mass flywheel.
Vishnu PWM methanol custom trunk mount, Diffsonline 3-clutch Salisbury custom diff, Ohlins Road and Track coilovers, Vorshlag camber plates, much more...
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #20
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
332
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335I
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Turbotown

iTrader: (0)

UPDATE: Sounds like I will be getting new turbos! The SA just called and said that because they still rattle, they were going to be taking off the factory downpipes so they could send BMW photos of the wastegates. The SA also said that it seemed they were "going down the road to replacing them"
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST