E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Horsepower difference with DCI with tune?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-13-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
 
Ferruccio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

Horsepower difference with DCI with tune?

Suppose a car was stock, maybe had something like JB4+meth+intake (like DCI).

What kind of horsepower loss could someone expect if they go back to the stock intake?
Ferruccio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
MilehighM3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MilehighM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs

Posts: 1,936
iTrader: (9)

Stock with Jb4 meth and dci? Then back to stock intake, hmm...better low to mid range power and not much difference anywhere else. All cars like cold air to make power. Dci= hot air
MilehighM3 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
zeel
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 08 AW e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MD/NOVA/DC

Posts: 563
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
DCI will be fine if you are already running meth. The stock box is restrictive at higher boost levels.
zeel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Velocity26
Resident old fart
 
Velocity26's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 251
iTrader: (3)

I think that Cobb had some data where the stock box was better than a DCI overall.
Velocity26 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
Bakeme521
Some say...
 
Bakeme521's Avatar
 
Drives: Fresh
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baton Rouge n NOLA

Posts: 4,242
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.04]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity26
I think that Cobb had some data where the stock box was better than a DCI overall.
Yes, with their stg 1 tune on a bone stock car. Just throwing a DCI on a stock car won't help you. You start running high boost levels the stock intake will restrict boost levels. There's a recent thread on here with a member running stock intake with stg3 maps on a procede and you can clearly see the restrictions from the intake in the logs.
__________________

I have exhaust and an intake...
Bakeme521 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Vwgrk1
Private
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

Tuners have thrown out the 400 whp barrier on the stock intake. Just not enough flow to support more power.

Burger tested their DCI and found that there were not IAT increases with it installed.

I'm just regurgitating info; please don't shoot the messenger.
Vwgrk1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
MilehighM3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MilehighM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs

Posts: 1,936
iTrader: (9)

Sure with the hood open and a fan blowing fresh, unrestricted air into the intake on a dyno
MilehighM3 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
 
Drives: 335i/6mt Sport,Nav,Prem.
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Hope, PA

Posts: 456
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
Yes, with their stg 1 tune on a bone stock car. Just throwing a DCI on a stock car won't help you. You start running high boost levels the stock intake will restrict boost levels. There's a recent thread on here with a member running stock intake with stg3 maps on a procede and you can clearly see the restrictions from the intake in the logs.
*** This is incorrect... DCIs ended up fixing my problems entirely ***

I think you're talking about my thread... My car is running lean and only boosting 15 PSI. I'm hitting a fueling ceiling. If I didn't have enough air I'd run RICH and have EXCESSIVE FUEL.

You can see from my logs that the car hits it's boost targets quickly and everything is working well with the stock airbox.


Thread in question: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743528
__________________

LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Last edited by uniter; 09-18-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: corrected
uniter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
zeel
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 08 AW e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MD/NOVA/DC

Posts: 563
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
Sure with the hood open and a fan blowing fresh, unrestricted air into the intake on a dyno
Plenty of air gets to the DCI's on WOT runs.
zeel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
 
Ferruccio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

So, if you were already in the 400 whp range with a DCI, what kind of loss would you estimate with a stock airbox and same everything else? I understand that gains won't really be seen that much on a stock tune and boost levels, though I can imagine the gains getting rather substantial with higher boost.

I've driven some cars with DCIs and really didn't like the whooshing sound. It sounds kind of unrefined. I'm sure other people love it, just not my cup of tea.
Ferruccio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 15,528
iTrader: (30)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
So, if you were already in the 400 whp range with a DCI, what kind of loss would you estimate with a stock airbox and same everything else? I understand that gains won't really be seen that much on a stock tune and boost levels, though I can imagine the gains getting rather substantial with higher boost.

I've driven some cars with DCIs and really didn't like the whooshing sound. It sounds kind of unrefined. I'm sure other people love it, just not my cup of tea.
You would likely elevate wastegate duty cycles, making your turbo's work harder.In turn you would have an increase in pre intercooler inlet temps.

The intercooler is already out of efficiency even for a stock car. IF you spray enough meth you still might make the same power, but likely a little less peak power.

I recommend atleast a drop in filter at that point as that stock intake is simply a bottleneck, imagine breathing through a straw when you need about as much air a 3inch straw could provide.

***

For the rest of the questions in this thread. When tuned for optimum power you can achieve nearly 400WHP with Tune, DCI, and methanol. The reality is every dyno is different so expect to see a gain of approx 110WHP over stock. This assumes you are tuned for maximum power, not off the shelf mapping, and have your methanol mixture right.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
 
Ferruccio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
You would likely elevate wastegate duty cycles, making your turbo's work harder.In turn you would have an increase in pre intercooler inlet temps.

The intercooler is already out of efficiency even for a stock car. IF you spray enough meth you still might make the same power, but likely a little less peak power.

I recommend atleast a drop in filter at that point as that stock intake is simply a bottleneck, imagine breathing through a straw when you need about as much air a 3inch straw could provide.

***

For the rest of the questions in this thread. When tuned for optimum power you can achieve nearly 400WHP with Tune, DCI, and methanol. The reality is every dyno is different so expect to see a gain of approx 110WHP over stock. This assumes you are tuned for maximum power, not off the shelf mapping, and have your methanol mixture right.
Yeah, inlet air temperatures will go up just due to that bottleneck. What I'm trying to figure out is just how much of a power loss there would be (there would definitely be one, I'm not doubting that). I'd be happy with a temporary bottleneck until a quieter intake is found. Basically, I'm looking for a horsepower quantity, or order of magnitude estimate, of the change between DCI/Stock 20? 30 hp?
Ferruccio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 15,528
iTrader: (30)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Yeah, inlet air temperatures will go up just due to that bottleneck. What I'm trying to figure out is just how much of a power loss there would be (there would definitely be one, I'm not doubting that). I'd be happy with a temporary bottleneck until a quieter intake is found. Basically, I'm looking for a horsepower quantity, or order of magnitude estimate, of the change between DCI/Stock 20? 30 hp?
If you want a quiet intake without the sacrifice in power, Dinan cold air intake.

Or maybe Mr 5 diy style, never heard that one though.

Eitherway it's a small price to find out. Just run stock intake. Unless you are making a bet about how much power you make, just enjoy your car.

The problem is dyno's arent real world air so nobody here can tell you with certainty how much power you will make or lose.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
Bimmer305
Second Lieutenant
 
Bimmer305's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami

Posts: 276
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Yeah, inlet air temperatures will go up just due to that bottleneck. What I'm trying to figure out is just how much of a power loss there would be (there would definitely be one, I'm not doubting that). I'd be happy with a temporary bottleneck until a quieter intake is found. Basically, I'm looking for a horsepower quantity, or order of magnitude estimate, of the change between DCI/Stock 20? 30 hp?
10 hp
__________________
Cobb / DCI / VRSF Downpipes / VRSF 7" Intercooler / Walbro LPFP / E85
Bimmer305 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #15
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
 
Ferruccio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer305 View Post
10 hp
Probably a bit more with a tune, but that's just a wild guess.


Thanks for the assistance, everyone. I've heard of the Mr 5 DIY style, and seen how it plugs into the airbox, and that looks interesting, as well. I might wait a bit to see what's out there.
Ferruccio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #16
longliven54
Lieutenant
 
longliven54's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i e90 auto
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: victoria

Posts: 465
iTrader: (6)

i somewhat remember reading about dci making 10hp more near redline when compared to stock with running with meth.

point to note is low-mid end pickup goes up quiet significantly with stock box. specialy if you have been driving with dci for a while.

if you are not really going to redline your car every given moment - thats when you'll enjoy having stock box instant spool.
__________________
JB4 G5 / VRSF IC / STETT CAI / GREDDY / custom exhaust / iRotora cross drilled rotots / snow stage 3 meth / 19" iForged senekas / upgraded speakers n CF woofer box / M3 bits/ DINAN camber plates/ KONI/ megan racing toe arm/ supreme power lowering perch
longliven54 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #17
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
 
Drives: 335i/6mt Sport,Nav,Prem.
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Hope, PA

Posts: 456
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniter View Post
I think you're talking about my thread... My car is running lean and only boosting 15 PSI. I'm hitting a fueling ceiling. If I didn't have enough air I'd run RICH and have EXCESSIVE FUEL.

You can see from my logs that the car hits it's boost targets quickly and everything is working well with the stock airbox.


Thread in question: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743528
As a correction: DCI's solved my AFRs and allowed me to bump boost up another couple of PSI. Definitely added more go

I have no idea why. But they fixed my problem.

A side note, my WGDCs don't look very different between the stock airbox and DCI... They were under 40 with the stock airbox and around that with DCIs.
__________________

LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV
uniter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #18
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
 
dbjb's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NorCal

Posts: 1,916
iTrader: (22)

Interesting thread. I'm with the OP on this one...

I once used to like the intake whooshing sound. However, now that I have the PE, I only want to hear that! So, I may just stick to the stock intake with a high flow filter.

Does anything change if/when running e85 and stock intake?
dbjb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #19
enrita
Major General
 
enrita's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

Posts: 7,316
iTrader: (0)

12.73 hp ....
__________________
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
enrita is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #20
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
 
Ferruccio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

It would be interesting to run a test on a demanding tune (such as an E85 setup) with a stock box vs. DCI to see what the loss is and, more specifically, to see when the peak torque is reached.
Ferruccio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
GTstunna612
First Lieutenant
 
GTstunna612's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 384
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
E90 335i  [0.00]
currently on my '07 335i Sedan I have DCI with only Golf Tee Mod...currently looking for a Tune...they say with the DCI and a Tune you will make greater power the turbos will spool faster not sure about all of this I'm new to the game
GTstunna612 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #22
nailer335
Captain
 
nailer335's Avatar
 
Drives: alpine '08 e92 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Arizona

Posts: 690
iTrader: (0)

With how the Mr5 intake I have on my car is set up, there isnt a difference in sound from the stock intake
nailer335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST