E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Steering lock faliure (yellow steering wheel & padlock)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
hobo mofo
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 325i e90
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: London

Posts: 521
iTrader: (1)

Steering lock faliure (yellow steering wheel & padlock)

Hey all,

Got the dreaded yellow steering wheel and padlock symbol followed by a fast clicking noise yesterday night. Started ok this morning with no warning lights but after work i tried to start it and the car would not start. Got the car working in the end and it drove perfect.

The car is booked in to the dealers but it is safe to drive in the mean time?
Do you think a software update will cure this?

Thanks
hobo mofo is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
xenon
Brigadier General
 
xenon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coventry

Posts: 4,669
iTrader: (0)

New steering column required, common fault.
__________________
Ian
Current: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, Professional Media, Visibility Pack, Reversing Camera, DAB
Previous: 2011 F10 520d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
xenon is online now   England
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 02:44 AM   #3
davyk31
Brigadier General
 
Drives: Audi SQ5 & Golf GTD
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Ireland

Posts: 4,256
iTrader: (0)

Not always a case of new steering column, often just a software zap fixes it. Safe enough to drive as won't try to lock when driving, main issue is if it breaks when locked then the problem is getting a car with locked steering onto a truck and into the workshop.

Would get it looked at fairly quickly.
davyk31 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
hobo mofo
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 325i e90
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: London

Posts: 521
iTrader: (1)

I've read through some other threads about this and could just be a low battery.
The cars is booked in for a diognostics soon. Will keep you all updated

Thanks
hobo mofo is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,411
iTrader: (46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo mofo View Post
I've read through some other threads about this and could just be a low battery.
The cars is booked in for a diognostics soon. Will keep you all updated

Thanks

+1

Few things to consider.
1- check your battery and if it is aftermarket battery, then that might be the cause. Also if your battery is dying, that could lead to it.
2- On pre-LCI, this is common fault. Steering lock gets locked and unlocked with the key insertion.
In LCI, they have changed the design of this lock and coded it to work with locking and unlocking of the doors rather with insertion of the key.
3- If your car is pre-LCI, search for the DIY and it shows you how to clean the lock and that may help. (if you know what you are doing)
4- If you cannot do it and you take it to dealer, they may change the steering column + update the software for pre-LCI.
However if failure happens on LCI, then protocol is to update the software only first and that should resolve. If that does not, then change the steering coloumn as well.

This is what I have gathered from 2 days of reading post on this before I updated my DSC module.

HTH.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
xenon
Brigadier General
 
xenon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coventry

Posts: 4,669
iTrader: (0)

It's a 2007 so pre-LCI.
__________________
Ian
Current: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, Professional Media, Visibility Pack, Reversing Camera, DAB
Previous: 2011 F10 520d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
xenon is online now   England
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
hobo mofo
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 325i e90
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: London

Posts: 521
iTrader: (1)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
+1

Few things to consider.
1- check your battery and if it is aftermarket battery, then that might be the cause. Also if your battery is dying, that could lead to it.
2- On pre-LCI, this is common fault. Steering lock gets locked and unlocked with the key insertion.
In LCI, they have changed the design of this lock and coded it to work with locking and unlocking of the doors rather with insertion of the key.
3- If your car is pre-LCI, search for the DIY and it shows you how to clean the lock and that may help. (if you know what you are doing)
4- If you cannot do it and you take it to dealer, they may change the steering column + update the software for pre-LCI.
However if failure happens on LCI, then protocol is to update the software only first and that should resolve. If that does not, then change the steering coloumn as well.

This is what I have gathered from 2 days of reading post on this before I updated my DSC module.

HTH.

Thanks for the detailed info makkan00. I will check the battery asap.
I hope that if it does turn out to be the steering coloumn, it does'nt cost the earth for the part/labour.
hobo mofo is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
hobo mofo
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 325i e90
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: London

Posts: 521
iTrader: (1)

I got it booked in for this monday but the warning light or clicking sound has not happend for over two weeks. Do you think i should take it in or wait to see if it returns?
hobo mofo is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
jester77
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW 330i SE Touring
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London

Posts: 109
iTrader: (0)

Had this on my pre-LCI. Had a software update from CPC in Amersham and touch wood fine since. Never got stranded with it, but a few panics along the way!
jester77 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,411
iTrader: (46)

Going to offer update for this module to those who are local to me.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
hobo mofo
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 325i e90
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: London

Posts: 521
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Going to offer update for this module to those who are local to me.
How long does the update take? The warning light has not come back for over two weeks now so i cancelled the dealer visit. I hope it was just a blip.
hobo mofo is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,411
iTrader: (46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo mofo View Post
How long does the update take? The warning light has not come back for over two weeks now so i cancelled the dealer visit. I hope it was just a blip.
Expect 1-2 hours minimum.

I hope it does not come on agian.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
hobo mofo
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 325i e90
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: London

Posts: 521
iTrader: (1)

What does the update actually do? I read some where it lowers the voltage to release the steering lock. Don't know if this is true or not.
hobo mofo is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST