E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > *Official* Active Autowerke Flash Thread

09-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #1079
3002 tii
Major General

Drives: flat out

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrngway View Post
If the tuned ecu assumes 93 octane and will adjust for 91, why is it necessary to clarify octane to be used when ordering?

Is that only necessary for specifying octane above 93?
+1 my thoughts exactly

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
3002 tii is offline   United_States
      09-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #1080
DUI Elite
///M at Heart

Drives: 2006 SGM E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
93 if you are using 91 the ecu will auto detune you accordingly.
Will it "re-gain" the optimal tune once you start running 93 again?
      09-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #1081
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 2014 435I M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
Will it "re-gain" the optimal tune once you start running 93 again?
Yep
      09-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #1082
VCMpower
Banned

Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange

We have performed both Stage 1 and Stage 2 on a number of 1's and 3's and I can say this is one of the most noticeable tunes I have ever installed! Absolutely incredible client feedback. My last client(2011 128i) did not even get down the road out of my sight and he was calling me asking if I did more performance mods that I did not tell him about. Worth every penny for the changes to the Valvetronic engine! Nice work AA!
VCMpower is offline   Canada
      09-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #1083
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke

Thanks Mark !
      09-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #1084
upstatedoc
Drone Expert

Drives: '09 BMW 328ix

gas mileage is improving. almost back up to 20 mpg on the MID. Any idea why it crashed after my flash? I mean down to 16 mpg. Same 93 octane,no change in driving style.
Countermeasure enthusiast.
      09-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #1085
PatB
Enlisted Member

Drives: BMW 328i Xdrive 2011

Where can I get this tune near Montréal?

I got a 2011 328 XI with the folowing mod:

BMW Performance PE and PI
Charcoal dealete

Do I need stage 2 already? Or stage 2 is for the 3 stage manifold mod?

I would like to do the 3 stage manifold but I can't find a used 330i manifold near Montreal.
      09-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #1086
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatB View Post
Where can I get this tune near Montréal?

I got a 2011 328 XI with the folowing mod:

BMW Performance PE and PI
Charcoal dealete

Do I need stage 2 already? Or stage 2 is for the 3 stage manifold mod?

I would like to do the 3 stage manifold but I can't find a used 330i manifold near Montreal.

Stage 2 is the only option for the n52 N51

Please check here http://www.activeautowerke.com/dealers.php The dealers in red will be able to flash your vehicle.
      10-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #1087
strobe89

Drives: 2010 E92 335i xDrive

Garage List
I have a 2008 328xi I purchased a few months ago and interested in the AA tune. Using the simon tool, could I remove the tune and go back to stock for warranty work? I have a CPO warranty for about 2 years left still and was hoping if I got the simon tool I could switch tunes before going into a dealer. Any chance the dealer would be able to find out even after reverting back to stock tune?
      10-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #1088
Wrngway
Lieutenant

Drives: '11 328i Sedan A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobe89 View Post
I have a 2008 328xi I purchased a few months ago and interested in the AA tune. Using the simon tool, could I remove the tune and go back to stock for warranty work? I have a CPO warranty for about 2 years left still and was hoping if I got the simon tool I could switch tunes before going into a dealer. Any chance the dealer would be able to find out even after reverting back to stock tune?
Once you have the tool, you should be able to switch from OEM to AA tune whenever you want. Keep in mind the process can take around 45 minutes....longer or shorter than that depending on your model year. So it's not something you'll want to do all the time.

It's also recommended you have a battery charger hooked up at the time. I'd guess that bad things can happen if the battery goes dead during the process. So, get a battery charger too and make sure you turn off as many accessories as possible during a program.

I bought a Simon primarily as insurance against a dealer overwriting the tune. I can't imagine dealers check that for most warranty issues. It's also insurance in case I or someone else accidently put 87 octane in the tank.

One other nice thing is that you can revert to OEM prior to selling the car if that person isn't an enthusiast.

One other thing to note is that once you use the device, it'll be locked to your VIN. So it can't be used on any other car.
      10-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #1089
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke

Quote:
Once you have the tool, you should be able to switch from OEM to AA tune whenever you want. Keep in mind the process can take around 45 minutes....longer or shorter than that depending on your model year. So it's not something you'll want to do all the time.

It's also recommended you have a battery charger hooked up at the time. I'd guess that bad things can happen if the battery goes dead during the process. So, get a battery charger too and make sure you turn off as many accessories as possible during a program.

I bought a Simon primarily as insurance against a dealer overwriting the tune. I can't imagine dealers check that for most warranty issues. It's also insurance in case I or someone else accidently put 87 octane in the tank.

One other nice thing is that you can revert to OEM prior to selling the car if that person isn't an enthusiast.

One other thing to note is that once you use the device, it'll be locked to your VIN. So it can't be used on any other car.
100% correct.

Keep in mind our tune when installed will show the same software version as it did before meaning its basically invisible.
      10-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #1090
strobe89

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I'm not worried on how long it takes to change the tune, although I don't currently have a battery charger. I wouldn't be doing it that often. I just like the assurance of being able to remove the tune before going to the dealer if something happens that I need to use my CPO warranty for. It's likely I would use the simon tool once and never play with it again. That sucks that it locks to my VIN.
Is there any discounts offered on buying the tune and simon tool? Seems expensive for something I'll likely use once and then it's locked to my car.
      10-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #1091
strobe89

Garage List
Quote:
100% correct.

Keep in mind our tune when installed will show the same software version as it did before meaning its basically invisible.
Oh really? That sounds even better. I assumed it would be something easy to detect, but I guess if you just replace the file with the same name they wouldn't have a clue without further testing.

Do you recommend having my dealer update anything they can before getting the tune? I have read there is things like updates to the transmission programming and stuff.
      10-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #1092
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobe89 View Post
Oh really? That sounds even better. I assumed it would be something easy to detect, but I guess if you just replace the file with the same name they wouldn't have a clue without further testing.

Do you recommend having my dealer update anything they can before getting the tune? I have read there is things like updates to the transmission programming and stuff.
We are modifying the stock file If you want and if one is available go for it.
      10-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #1093
strobe89

Garage List
Quote:
We are modifying the stock file If you want and if one is available go for it.
I don't know that one is available, just read that from time to time BMW updates things like the transmission software that some dislike in the 328. I sometimes think my 328 does some odd shifts and was planning on checking with the dealer if an update is available for it. Wasn't sure if whatever they update would erase the tune, or your tune erases what they would have done. Is the software updates for the transmission a separate file from what the AA tune is changing? Pardon my noobness, just not sure how all this works.
      11-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #1094
e9012345
Lieutenant

Drives: e90

Got my AA Tune from Jon @ Bimmersport with a friend over the weekend.

Night and day. I have trouble hooking up in 1st gear now. Feels like a completely new car. I was extremely skeptical at first.. but I can honestly say that this is well worth the money. Very good job AA and many thanks to Jon for hooking me up.

The car feels WAY more lively.. you get a much stronger burst of power.. a greater surge of acceleration.. a quicker throttle response. The car feels strong now. I am extremely happy.

Since I had a 325.. the difference is absolutely ridiculous and it feels like I got a brand new car. Tunes work.. especially this one. Get it NOW!
6MT Sport Pkg | BMW Perf. Pedals | BMW Perf. SSK | CF Steering Trim | BMW Performance Black Gloss Grilles | M3 Rep Bumper | Muffler Delete 2.5"| Charcoal Delete + K&N Drop In | CDV Delete | Clutch Stop | Active Autowerke Stage II Tune | H&R Sport Springs | Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts | 18" Gunmetal CSL Reps | BurgerTuning Spacers | Staggered Ventus V12's | ATE Super Blue & Hawk HPS | Blacklines | GP6K Angel Eyes
      11-06-2012, 01:28 AM   #1095
rattmobbins
Captain

Drives: 2011 328i Touring

Wish there was a place to get this tune in New Mexico.

REALLY don't feel like popping the extra $$$ for the Simon tool
      11-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #1096
Wrngway
Lieutenant

Drives: '11 328i Sedan A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
Wish there was a place to get this tune in New Mexico.

REALLY don't feel like popping the extra $$$ for the Simon tool
I've worked with other mail-order tuners in the past that would mail the processor module and charge a core deposit. You would then mail your part back to them and get the deposit refunded.

I'm not sure if AA does this, but it may be an option for you if you don't mind pulling the unit yourself.
      11-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #1097
DerekC
Private

Drives: 328i e92

+1 for e9012345, same feedback from me. got it from jon @ bimmersport and was in and out by midday. if you're on the fence about this, trust me, get the tune!
      11-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #1098
Smooth 330i
Captain

Drives: Sleepy 330i

I got AA tune last April and tested it thoroughly on street, hwy and track. I have a few other mods also and in combo with this tune the car has plenty of power while being balanced. The bad thing is that I need to install LSD now :-)

I attended Watkins Glenn and Poconos HPDEs and had other drivers stop by and ask questions since E46 M3s couldn't keep up especially on straights.

This is my fav mod beside suspension upgrade so far and hope that AA is ready to release either a supercharger or Stage 3. I am looking forward to the news before Xmass.

Andy, got that!?

E90 330i Sport | JRZ RS1 | Dinan | Quaife | Evolve
M3 Bits | GC | Apex | Braile | Supersprint | Reccaro
Stoptech BBK | BMW Perf | Macht Schnell | Turner
      11-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #1099
will bleich
First Lieutenant

Drives: pos

Questions, how much is the Simon tool, and how much is it to get it at a shop,? And one more I want to do a 330 intake manifold, can I do it without that and won't need to remap It after I get it

facebook will bleich
      11-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #1100
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NokTurNaL 330i View Post
I got AA tune last April and tested it thoroughly on street, hwy and track. I have a few other mods also and in combo with this tune the car has plenty of power while being balanced. The bad thing is that I need to install LSD now :-)

I attended Watkins Glenn and Poconos HPDEs and had other drivers stop by and ask questions since E46 M3s couldn't keep up especially on straights.

This is my fav mod beside suspension upgrade so far and hope that AA is ready to release either a supercharger or Stage 3. I am looking forward to the news before Xmass.

Andy, got that!?
Going to be a long christmas...