E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Grr what an idiot (put castrol syntech 5w30 oil in..not me lol)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #23
Killerx
Blah
 
Killerx's Avatar
 
Drives: Awesomeness
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Barrie

Posts: 325
iTrader: (0)

Wow thanks for the feedback here guys. Honestly I gotta admit I was wrong here. I was leaning on the change it until i read some of these posts. I still think if it was my car I probably woulda freaked out and changed it. I have only used bmw oil in my veh so I wouldn't know any different.

After reading some of the posts, I guess I'll tell him he's safe for 10000 kms (this is what I do my oil changes at and I told him to do the same...a i know im anal lol )

Now just to clean this up the guys that are saying they put castrol syntechre using the black bottle oil that says full synthetic and is no long life approved correct?

Brad
Killerx is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 05:24 AM   #24
Rydicule
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CT, US

Posts: 149
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
I think you're missing my point. All the OP is getting here is OPINIONS...no facts. If you get an oil recommendation from a dealer and there is a problem then you will probably have a case. If you take your wounded engine in for service and explain that you got some opinions on a forum you will probably get laughed at. He wants to know if he needs to flush that new oil out. Has there been a definitive answer or some opinions?
No... actually, that's my point exactly.

Listen, I'm not here to argue with ignorance. If you believe that what you get when you ask something of a dealer or a mechanic is anything more than an opinion, I wish you the best of luck. I'd also encourage you to take the car to multiple dealers/mechanics and see how many contradicting "FACTS" you end up with.


As for your argument... you don't have a case. BMW dealers generally have lawyers or the means to hire them, and have already been educated on what they can and cannot say to customers to limit liability. Not to mention that legitimate cases take years and $$$$$$ to go through for the chance that you may get compensation.


Also, as to whether the OP needs to flush the oil or not, there ARE NO DEFINITIVE ANSWERS. It's a subjective question. The only thing you can get from anyone are opinions, and then you make your mind FOR YOURSELF given what people have told you and how much value you place on those answers.

For you: You value the opinions of dealers so much that you call anything they say a "fact".

For me: I'd prefer not to give SO much weight or credit to someone who has a monetary incentive one way or the other. For example, when I was 17, I took my car in for an oil change. The "fact" the dealer gave me was that because my car had reached 100k miles, I needed to have the engine flushed with their detergent at the discount cost of $97. I said no thanks, and the next "fact" I got was that if I didn't do the service, there was an 85% chance that my engine would fail before I got home, and I'd have to pay 10X that amount to have it fixed then.

I was 17 and it was my first car, so I paid the $97. Then I researched it on the internet when I got home. But I suppose the thousands of "opinions" I got on the matter telling me that I had been screwed just don't add up to the "facts" the dealer gave me, right?
Rydicule is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #25
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

Posts: 3,921
iTrader: (1)

Never used BMW oil in any of my BMWs and never will. Have been using Castro 0w30 in every car I purchase except M3
Kolyan2k is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #26
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydicule View Post
No... actually, that's my point exactly.

Listen, I'm not here to argue with ignorance. If you believe that what you get when you ask something of a dealer or a mechanic is anything more than an opinion, I wish you the best of luck. I'd also encourage you to take the car to multiple dealers/mechanics and see how many contradicting "FACTS" you end up with.


As for your argument... you don't have a case. BMW dealers generally have lawyers or the means to hire them, and have already been educated on what they can and cannot say to customers to limit liability. Not to mention that legitimate cases take years and $$$$$$ to go through for the chance that you may get compensation.


Also, as to whether the OP needs to flush the oil or not, there ARE NO DEFINITIVE ANSWERS. It's a subjective question. The only thing you can get from anyone are opinions, and then you make your mind FOR YOURSELF given what people have told you and how much value you place on those answers.

For you: You value the opinions of dealers so much that you call anything they say a "fact".

For me: I'd prefer not to give SO much weight or credit to someone who has a monetary incentive one way or the other. For example, when I was 17, I took my car in for an oil change. The "fact" the dealer gave me was that because my car had reached 100k miles, I needed to have the engine flushed with their detergent at the discount cost of $97. I said no thanks, and the next "fact" I got was that if I didn't do the service, there was an 85% chance that my engine would fail before I got home, and I'd have to pay 10X that amount to have it fixed then.

I was 17 and it was my first car, so I paid the $97. Then I researched it on the internet when I got home. But I suppose the thousands of "opinions" I got on the matter telling me that I had been screwed just don't add up to the "facts" the dealer gave me, right?
You need help.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #27
GRLPWR
Lieutenant
 
GRLPWR's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Durham, NC

Posts: 488
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
GRLPWR is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #28
Rydicule
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CT, US

Posts: 149
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
You need help.

What I really need is a burger.


mmmm... burrrrrrger...
Rydicule is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #29
Gator335i
Private First Class
 
Gator335i's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 E92 Montego Blue 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Gainesville, FL

Posts: 113
iTrader: (0)

The fluids in the car are her lifeblood so whenever I need to change any of the fluids, I always take it to the dealer and let them use BMW-approved products, whether oil, brake fluid, coolant, whatever. Sure, it costs more, but the peace of mind I have makes it well worth it.
Gator335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #30
darkw1sh
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Space Grey/Red
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los Angeles/Woodland Hills/Thousand Oaks/ ***Santa Cruz***

Posts: 506
iTrader: (9)

Here are some fact for those that thing BMW dealer oil is different from Castrol 0W-30.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp..._Sept_2011.pdf

as you can see on the spreadsheet the 0W30 is the BMW LL 01 Approved. 5W-40 would work as well. The0W30 is the same thing (EXACTLY) that BMW sells at the dealership.

The Viscosity of the oil in 5W 30 is a little greater with a lower variability from cold to hot.

just my .02
darkw1sh is offline   Ukraine
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #31
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
 
Drives: 335i/6mt Sport,Nav,Prem.
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Hope, PA

Posts: 529
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i M-Sport View Post
How are they going to determine a used oil type, assuming it has a reasonable weight? I seriously doubt a dealership would try to send oil to the lab. Not to mention that any decent oil of a reasonable weight can only cause very long term problems.

The things you read on luxury car forums sometimes. I would worry much more about cars with improperly offset wheels, stretched tires, bad alignments due to lowering, screwing up a sophisticated electric system due to poor stereo installations, etc.
Don't be naive.
When facing an expensive warranty claim like a new engine of course BMW is going to measure, test and examine every factor. OIL is one of the first things they'll look at.
__________________

LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::BIEHNTUNE FLASH::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::OS GIKEN 1.5 WAY::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV
uniter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #32
John 070
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Posts: 11,445
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i M-Sport View Post
How are they going to determine a used oil type, assuming it has a reasonable weight? I seriously doubt a dealership would try to send oil to the lab. Not to mention that any decent oil of a reasonable weight can only cause very long term problems.

The things you read on luxury car forums sometimes. I would worry much more about cars with improperly offset wheels, stretched tires, bad alignments due to lowering, screwing up a sophisticated electric system due to poor stereo installations, etc.
I've seen that sneaky detective stuff on TV. They'll offer you a cigarette, and then cut it short, and get some DNA off the filter. I'm sure they can do the same thing with your car....those sneaky ba*******!!!
John 070 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #33
apme123
First Lieutenant
 
apme123's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Honda S2000
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)

whats a "suntetic" dont u mean synthetic?
__________________
apme123 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #34
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator335i View Post
The fluids in the car are her lifeblood so whenever I need to change any of the fluids, I always take it to the dealer and let them use BMW-approved products, whether oil, brake fluid, coolant, whatever. Sure, it costs more, but the peace of mind I have makes it well worth it.
Thats exactly what I do too.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #35
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydicule View Post
What I really need is a burger.


mmmm... burrrrrrger...
Burgers are good.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #36
FCBuff
Enthusiast
 
Drives: '11 335 Xdrive, Msport 6mt
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ft Collins

Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerx View Post
Wow thanks for the feedback here guys. Honestly I gotta admit I was wrong here. I was leaning on the change it until i read some of these posts. I still think if it was my car I probably woulda freaked out and changed it. I have only used bmw oil in my veh so I wouldn't know any different.

After reading some of the posts, I guess I'll tell him he's safe for 10000 kms (this is what I do my oil changes at and I told him to do the same...a i know im anal lol )

Now just to clean this up the guys that are saying they put castrol syntechre using the black bottle oil that says full synthetic and is no long life approved correct?

Brad
Again, you must cut through the BS and there is plenty of it here...

At the normal auto parts stores, Castrol 0w-30 is the on Castrol Syntec (Edge)product that meets BMW LL-01. Castrol syntec(Edge) 5w-30 does not. Read the back of the bottle. BMW 5w-30 is made by Castrol, but is rebranded European spec oil and is not the same as normal Castrol Syntec 5w-30, does not meet HT/HS >3.5 for instance.

Mobil 1 0w-40 also meets BMW LL-01.

Of the readily available, easy to find over the counter products choices are

BMW 5w-30 (Dealer)
Castrol 0w-30 (Autozone/Pepboys only) Edited to 0w-30 sorry typo error!
Mobil 1 0w-40

I choose Mobil 1 0w-40 because it is easiest to locate, Probably the best most up to date oil anyway and can find it for around $6.50/Qt on sale or at Wally world.

There are other choices but much harder to find, Motul, Elf, Lubromoly,PU etc.

That's the down and dirty, careful with all of the "advice" and good luck.

Last edited by FCBuff; 09-28-2012 at 04:07 PM.
FCBuff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #37
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBuff View Post
Again, you must cut through the BS and there is plenty of it here...

At the normal auto parts stores, Castrol 0w-30 is the on Castrol Syntec (Edge)product that meets BMW LL-01. Castrol syntec(Edge) 5w-30 does not. Read the back of the bottle. BMW 5w-30 is made by Castrol, but is rebranded European spec oil and is not the same as normal Castrol Syntec 5w-30, does not meet HT/HS >3.5 for instance.

Mobil 1 0w-40 also meets BMW LL-01.

Of the readily available, easy to find over the counter products choices are

BMW 5w-30 (Dealer)
Castrol 0w-40 (Autozone/Pepboys only)
Mobil 1 0w-40

I choose Mobil 1 0w-40 because it is easiest to locate, Probably the best most up to date oil anyway and can find it for around $6.50/Qt on sale or at Wally world.

There are other choices but much harder to find, Motul, Elf, Lubromoly,PU etc.

That's the down and dirty, careful with all of the "advice" and good luck.
Some people think everything here is fact. About 37 posts and no difinitive answer. Wow....who knew.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #38
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
 
cstmx_ryder's Avatar
 
Drives: A metal box with a roundel
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,747
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to cstmx_ryder Send a message via MSN to cstmx_ryder
Alright, you want a definitive answer?

Here it is:

Any oil that's BMW LL01 approved CAN be used on BMWs. As far as the brand of oil goes, that really depends on the end user. I would just stick with either Castrol Syntec(Edge) 0W30 "EUROPEAN FORMULA", or Mobile1 0W40, or just buy the oil from dealership.

Does this lessen the confusion any?
__________________

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
cstmx_ryder is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #39
galahad05
Colonel
 
galahad05's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island NY

Posts: 2,429
iTrader: (0)

Feelin' the love in here.
__________________
Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine
--Lord Byron
galahad05 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #40
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
Alright, you want a definitive answer?

Here it is:

Any oil that's BMW LL01 approved CAN be used on BMWs. As far as the brand of oil goes, that really depends on the end user. I would just stick with either Castrol Syntec(Edge) 0W30 "EUROPEAN FORMULA", or Mobile1 0W40, or just buy the oil from dealership.

Does this lessen the confusion any?
38 posts later. Thank you Sir.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #41
gm325xi
Private
 
Drives: 325XI
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerx View Post
So a buddy of mine just purchased a nice 328i coupe and decides to do the oil change himself. He he comes by and asked is he can use my oil adapter for the filter, I give it to him and hes off.

2 days later he brings me back my stuff and I asked how he did and he goes on how hes so surprised at the quality and yada yada. Then I asked him what oil he used and he told me what BMW recommended, Castrol syntec 5W-30.....and im like wait a sec was it in 1 l jugs (thinking it was GC) hes like no, it was on sale at Wal mart



So I told him that it had to say LL-01 on the back, he said he didnt even check he just say the BMW oil cap and went to go find the full suntetic castrol...(I dont even know why BMW does that)

My question is, is he says he wants to keep this for a long time, should he drain it and put the right oil? or change it at 5000kms and call it a day? I know my old corvette needed higher something and I had to get a additive for it, could he do something like that in the meantime?

I also told him to join this damn forum and start reading up...and dont you worry when he joins ill make it clear the mistake he did

Brad
its funny, i was at the dealership yesterday and spoke to my service manager about doing my own oil changes. he said as long as you use the oem oil filter it doesnt matter what oil you use as long as its full synthetic.
gm325xi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #42
Socom
Major General
 
Drives: 2010 335D
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atl.

Posts: 5,214
iTrader: (0)

Run for 5k miles and dump it???
Socom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST