E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ar downpipes and ceramic coating



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #23
saxon
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa

Posts: 323
iTrader: (2)

outside is really the only thing that matters, but they cant guarantee the inside because it would be impossible to coat it effectively and make sure it is completely done
saxon is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #24
Boost Tampa
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 E92
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 123
iTrader: (2)

^^
It doesn't matter what they do. In 99.999% you will not be able to tell. I've had both ceramic coated DP's and the ETS DP's I have now and there was 100% zero difference in spool or operating temps.
__________________
JB4-G5/COBB BMS Flash/RB Turbos/HPF Clutch/Wavetrac/Dinan CAI/Forge DV's/ETS DP's/ETS 7" IC/ER CP/CM Meth/KWV2
Boost Tampa is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #25
El Duce
Private
 
Drives: 4 wheels and a steering wheel
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 98
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surquhar View Post
What?? Are you telling us that GM/Ford/Dodge/etc could realize 6-8 MPG if they ceramic coated their turbo diesel applications? This is nothing new, why wouldn't they have deployed this technology years ago?
He's not saying a gain of 6-8mpg, he's saying those class 8 trucks can sometimes realize 10% of their 6-8mpg averages by coating.
El Duce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #26
CCPcoatings.com
New Member
 
Drives: x5
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Detroit, MI

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Said $40 a foot for downpipes for white lightning coating, but they also said they only do the outside???
They only do the outside of "everything" they do because they don't do ceramic coating on pipes. "White Lightning" is a plasma sprayed aluminum alloy, therefore it is impossible to spray the inside of any pipe in that they're just shooting a molten flame of goo at it. I don't believe they can even roll it into the pipes either in that it will build up that nasty white textured stuff on your flanges which would prevent you from bolting anything together.
CCPcoatings.com is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #27
CCPcoatings.com
New Member
 
Drives: x5
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Detroit, MI

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
He's not saying a gain of 6-8mpg, he's saying those class 8 trucks can sometimes realize 10% of their 6-8mpg averages by coating.
You are correct sir....Further, the OE's are looking at pistons, valves and cylinder heads. Although I know Ford did some testing on their 6.0 Turbo Diesels to replace some DPF / CAT heatshields with Ceramic Coated pipes.
CCPcoatings.com is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #28
CCPcoatings.com
New Member
 
Drives: x5
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Detroit, MI

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxon View Post
outside is really the only thing that matters, but they cant guarantee the inside because it would be impossible to coat it effectively and make sure it is completely done
Their specific process makes it impossible for them to coat ID's. For someone doing actual Ceramic Coating there are numerous ways to Ceramic Coat the ID of pipes when required.

Most shops that say they do coat the ID don't or don't do it properly. When given the cost, many customer don't feel its necessary or opt to do it for most applications.
CCPcoatings.com is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #29
CCPcoatings.com
New Member
 
Drives: x5
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Detroit, MI

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Ceramic Coating Exhaust and Down Pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surquhar View Post
^^
It doesn't matter what they do. In 99.999% you will not be able to tell. I've had both ceramic coated DP's and the ETS DP's I have now and there was 100% zero difference in spool or operating temps.
Coating the DP's is the last part of system which would be the exhaust manifold / header, turbine houseing and then the DP. If you were replacing those, had them off or just had the funds to do it, that is where the principle gains would come from. Coating a DP by itself would just fall into knowing that its part of an overall system.

You wouldnt put suspension parts or under hood parts on your car without some form of coating / paint would you? Exhaust components are no different.

Last edited by CCPcoatings.com; 07-16-2012 at 01:17 AM.
CCPcoatings.com is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #30
benzy89
Banned
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCPcoatings.com View Post
They only do the outside of "everything" they do because they don't do ceramic coating on pipes. "White Lightning" is a plasma sprayed aluminum alloy, therefore it is impossible to spray the inside of any pipe in that they're just shooting a molten flame of goo at it. I don't believe they can even roll it into the pipes either in that it will build up that nasty white textured stuff on your flanges which would prevent you from bolting anything together.
Short Version: White Lightning would be a waste

SO once again, about how much would a legit DP coating cost?
benzy89 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-16-2012, 01:10 AM   #31
Boost Tampa
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 E92
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 123
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCPcoatings.com View Post
Coating the DP's is the last part of system which would be the exhaust manifold / header, turbine houseing and then the DP. If you were replacing those, had them off or just had the funds to to it, that is where the principle gains would come from. Coating a DP by itself would just fall into knowing that its part of an overall system.

You wouldnt put suspension parts or under hood parts on your car without soem form of coating / paint would you? Exhaust components are no different.
Understood. That makes sense.
__________________
JB4-G5/COBB BMS Flash/RB Turbos/HPF Clutch/Wavetrac/Dinan CAI/Forge DV's/ETS DP's/ETS 7" IC/ER CP/CM Meth/KWV2
Boost Tampa is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #32
joyride
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kentucky/Detroit

Posts: 143
iTrader: (1)

I know someone that got them coated, inside and out, for $50. Thought it would be more, but they seem to be an easy DP to work with.
joyride is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #33
saxon
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa

Posts: 323
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Short Version: White Lightning would be a waste

SO once again, about how much would a legit DP coating cost?
i wouldnt say that at all, just do a google search and you will see that white lightning is very very good at keeping the heat inside the pipe and actually is very resistant to chipping and is a long lasting finish

i wouldnt have said anything about it if I didnt think it was one of the best coatings out there
saxon is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #34
Jeef
Captain
 
Drives: AW E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 781
iTrader: (1)

Got my DP's coated inside and out... perfectly done and it was under 100.
Jeef is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #35
E90Company
Major General
 
E90Company's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

Posts: 6,142
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave198 View Post
Waste of money unless ur tracking the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
+1, same idea with a 7" FMIC -- Unless you're going to really beat on the car + track it, it's an unnecessary expense
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Anybody got an idea of what it'd cost for a quality ceramic coating on DPs?
You say it's a waste, yet you seem interested and want pricing?
__________________
E90 N54 6AT
E90Company is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #36
Ace_HollyWood
Private
 
Drives: 2008 APW e92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cincinnati Ohio

Posts: 92
iTrader: (1)

bump
Ace_HollyWood is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST