E90Post

Horizon LED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ar downpipes and ceramic coating

07-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #23
saxon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 07 335i

outside is really the only thing that matters, but they cant guarantee the inside because it would be impossible to coat it effectively and make sure it is completely done
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #24
Boost Tampa
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92

^^
It doesn't matter what they do. In 99.999% you will not be able to tell. I've had both ceramic coated DP's and the ETS DP's I have now and there was 100% zero difference in spool or operating temps.
      07-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #25
El Duce
Private
Rep

Drives: 4 wheels and a steering wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surquhar View Post
What?? Are you telling us that GM/Ford/Dodge/etc could realize 6-8 MPG if they ceramic coated their turbo diesel applications? This is nothing new, why wouldn't they have deployed this technology years ago?
He's not saying a gain of 6-8mpg, he's saying those class 8 trucks can sometimes realize 10% of their 6-8mpg averages by coating.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #26
CCPcoatings.com
Rep

Drives: x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Said $40 a foot for downpipes for white lightning coating, but they also said they only do the outside???
They only do the outside of "everything" they do because they don't do ceramic coating on pipes. "White Lightning" is a plasma sprayed aluminum alloy, therefore it is impossible to spray the inside of any pipe in that they're just shooting a molten flame of goo at it. I don't believe they can even roll it into the pipes either in that it will build up that nasty white textured stuff on your flanges which would prevent you from bolting anything together.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #27
CCPcoatings.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
He's not saying a gain of 6-8mpg, he's saying those class 8 trucks can sometimes realize 10% of their 6-8mpg averages by coating.
You are correct sir....Further, the OE's are looking at pistons, valves and cylinder heads. Although I know Ford did some testing on their 6.0 Turbo Diesels to replace some DPF / CAT heatshields with Ceramic Coated pipes.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #28
CCPcoatings.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxon View Post
outside is really the only thing that matters, but they cant guarantee the inside because it would be impossible to coat it effectively and make sure it is completely done
Their specific process makes it impossible for them to coat ID's. For someone doing actual Ceramic Coating there are numerous ways to Ceramic Coat the ID of pipes when required.

Most shops that say they do coat the ID don't or don't do it properly. When given the cost, many customer don't feel its necessary or opt to do it for most applications.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #29
CCPcoatings.com
Rep

Ceramic Coating Exhaust and Down Pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surquhar View Post
^^
It doesn't matter what they do. In 99.999% you will not be able to tell. I've had both ceramic coated DP's and the ETS DP's I have now and there was 100% zero difference in spool or operating temps.
Coating the DP's is the last part of system which would be the exhaust manifold / header, turbine houseing and then the DP. If you were replacing those, had them off or just had the funds to do it, that is where the principle gains would come from. Coating a DP by itself would just fall into knowing that its part of an overall system.

You wouldnt put suspension parts or under hood parts on your car without some form of coating / paint would you? Exhaust components are no different.

Last edited by CCPcoatings.com; 07-16-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #30
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCPcoatings.com View Post
They only do the outside of "everything" they do because they don't do ceramic coating on pipes. "White Lightning" is a plasma sprayed aluminum alloy, therefore it is impossible to spray the inside of any pipe in that they're just shooting a molten flame of goo at it. I don't believe they can even roll it into the pipes either in that it will build up that nasty white textured stuff on your flanges which would prevent you from bolting anything together.
Short Version: White Lightning would be a waste

SO once again, about how much would a legit DP coating cost?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 01:10 AM   #31
Boost Tampa
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCPcoatings.com View Post
Coating the DP's is the last part of system which would be the exhaust manifold / header, turbine houseing and then the DP. If you were replacing those, had them off or just had the funds to to it, that is where the principle gains would come from. Coating a DP by itself would just fall into knowing that its part of an overall system.

You wouldnt put suspension parts or under hood parts on your car without soem form of coating / paint would you? Exhaust components are no different.
Understood. That makes sense.
      07-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #32
joyride
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: X5 M-Sport

I know someone that got them coated, inside and out, for $50. Thought it would be more, but they seem to be an easy DP to work with.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #33
saxon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Short Version: White Lightning would be a waste

SO once again, about how much would a legit DP coating cost?
i wouldnt say that at all, just do a google search and you will see that white lightning is very very good at keeping the heat inside the pipe and actually is very resistant to chipping and is a long lasting finish

i wouldnt have said anything about it if I didnt think it was one of the best coatings out there
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #34
Jeef
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: AW E92 335i

Got my DP's coated inside and out... perfectly done and it was under 100.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #35
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave198 View Post
Waste of money unless ur tracking the car.
Quote:
+1, same idea with a 7" FMIC -- Unless you're going to really beat on the car + track it, it's an unnecessary expense
Quote:
Anybody got an idea of what it'd cost for a quality ceramic coating on DPs?
You say it's a waste, yet you seem interested and want pricing?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #36
Ace_HollyWood
Private
Rep

Drives: 2008 APW e92 335i

bump
Appreciate 0