E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > check your lugs !



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
KCX_335xi
Major
KCX_335xi's Avatar
14
Rep
1,050
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335xi e92 | 2013 e70 X5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oakville, ON

iTrader: (11)

check your lugs !

After the 10mm spacers went on 2 weeks ago, my driver's side wheel lugs became loose enough to cause vibration and needed to really be tightened up.....

Does anyone know if the flat tire monitor would have picked up an issue with that tire rotation eventually ?

Mind you, that tire has been repaired before, and I suspect aside from the noise, it was also causing vibration a bit - thus the loose lugs.


Anyway, could have turned out pretty ugly at my 145km/h speeds on 407....
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
catch
Major General
catch's Avatar
Canada
69
Rep
5,504
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Thornhill

iTrader: (27)

That should NOT happen due to spacers!

Are the lugs long enough?
Torqued down properly?
Right seat on the lugs?
Spacers installed properly? Sitting flush? Not rust or debris in there?
__________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
KCX_335xi
Major
KCX_335xi's Avatar
14
Rep
1,050
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335xi e92 | 2013 e70 X5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oakville, ON

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch
That should NOT happen due to spacers!

Are the lugs long enough?
Torqued down properly?
Right seat on the lugs?
Spacers installed properly? Sitting flush? Not rust or debris in there?
Don't think it was due to spacers, but the overall vibration from that tire/rim...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
1lyfe
Major
1lyfe's Avatar
Canada
23
Rep
1,101
Posts

 
Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCX_335xi View Post
After the 10mm spacers went on 2 weeks ago, my driver's side wheel lugs became loose enough to cause vibration and needed to really be tightened up.....

Does anyone know if the flat tire monitor would have picked up an issue with that tire rotation eventually ?

Mind you, that tire has been repaired before, and I suspect aside from the noise, it was also causing vibration a bit - thus the loose lugs.


Anyway, could have turned out pretty ugly at my 145km/h speeds on 407....
i had this problem before
turned out to be that the spacers werent balanced properly
mechanic put it though the rim balacing machine with the spacer on and slapped a stick on weight onto hte spacer and my problem was gone
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
KCX_335xi
Major
KCX_335xi's Avatar
14
Rep
1,050
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335xi e92 | 2013 e70 X5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oakville, ON

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
i had this problem before
turned out to be that the spacers werent balanced properly
mechanic put it though the rim balacing machine with the spacer on and slapped a stick on weight onto hte spacer and my problem was gone
Interesting.... These are H&R spacers, good quality--- might try that, thanks man
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
1lyfe
Major
1lyfe's Avatar
Canada
23
Rep
1,101
Posts

 
Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCX_335xi View Post
Interesting.... These are H&R spacers, good quality--- might try that, thanks man
im assuming h&r should be fine =/
the ones i had were no branded and made of aluminium too...
dont forget to put antiseize when you use them as well!!!
ive learned my lesson...had to dremel them off my car when i had to take it in for a rotor change
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
42
Rep
3,607
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCX_335xi View Post
After the 10mm spacers went on 2 weeks ago, my driver's side wheel lugs became loose enough to cause vibration and needed to really be tightened up.....

Does anyone know if the flat tire monitor would have picked up an issue with that tire rotation eventually ?

Mind you, that tire has been repaired before, and I suspect aside from the noise, it was also causing vibration a bit - thus the loose lugs.


Anyway, could have turned out pretty ugly at my 145km/h speeds on 407....
I would say not torqued properly.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
zuluZero
Lieutenant
zuluZero's Avatar
Canada
6
Rep
446
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 e90 330i sport BSM
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: KW, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCX_335xi View Post

Does anyone know if the flat tire monitor would have picked up an issue with that tire rotation eventually ?
The tire monitor works by counting revolutions, so it may not be influenced by vibrations at all, until the wheel falls off.

Always, always re-torque your wheels yourself after service. A pro wheel shop just did mine with range of 50-150 ft lbs...

I have run 10mm H&R spacers in the rear for 4 years with no vibrations. They are so small compared to a wheel, I'd be surprised at them being out-of-balance enough to notice, assuming they are centered correctly.
__________________
102% OE: Blacklines, Perf Exhaust, M3 Steering Wheel, Blackout grill
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
KCX_335xi
Major
KCX_335xi's Avatar
14
Rep
1,050
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335xi e92 | 2013 e70 X5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oakville, ON

iTrader: (11)

Yeah, I should have checked myself... Although the shop did all the wheels, but only one got really loose...
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST