E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FUEL TANK LEAK---'07 335 factory issue??? NEED OPINIONS PLEASE

09-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
ZondaF355
Private

Drives: '07 335i Sport Coupe 6MT

FUEL TANK LEAK---'07 335 factory issue??? NEED OPINIONS PLEASE

Ok this is the craziest thing I have had happen to a car. Long story short I was fueling up with 111 octane fuel and at about 5 gallons noticed gas running out of the bottom of my car! So I stopped, called BMW, all they said is that I overfilled it, which osnt possible being that I had maybe a total of 7 gallons in the tank before the 111 octane FLOOD. So i ended up towing it to the shop that does my tuning and we put in up on the rack. After 20 minutes of CSI style investigation we could not figure out what had happened. There is a GOLFBALL size hole in my fuel tank. It is on the driveshaft side of the tank about halfway up and appears and feels to be CUT with a sawzaw. Being that this wuld be near impossible, we did some more looking only to find out that the driveshaft had a wear mark approx. 6" long and was showing whiteish rubbing and scrape marks. So our final explanation and only reasonable one is that one of the vents in the tank malfunctioned causing the tank to SWELL. Once the tank swelled and through in alot of powerslides and donuts, the tank shifted. Once shifted and swelled it made contact with the driveshaft. And the rest was history. It absolutley shredded a huge hole in the tank and I never heard anything or felt vibarations...nothing. Has anyone ever heard or experienced this issue? Do you thing this is a manufacturers problem?
      09-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Zebra99
Colonel

Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Tank swelling is definitely their problem, but rank movement is your problem.

Hell, the simple fact that the tank moved could have caused all the other issues; who knows.

GL buddy, that's F'd up!
Zebra99 is offline   Canada
      09-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
ZondaF355
Private

your right thanks man
      09-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
JamesM3M5
Some dude

Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i

Depending on how long that hole has been there - there should have been an EVAP code, major leak, stored in the DME.

There will be no way to get enough pressure in the tank to make it swell like that. Something has come loose - a gas tank strap, maybe. I don't think there's any way for the tank, even if something has failed, to pressurize that much.
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
JamesM3M5 is offline   United_States
      09-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Zebra99
Colonel

Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5
Depending on how long that hole has been there - there should have been an EVAP code, major leak, stored in the DME.

There will be no way to get enough pressure in the tank to make it swell like that. Something has come loose - a gas tank strap, maybe. I don't think there's any way for the tank, even if something has failed, to pressurize that much.
You ever fill a plastic container up with gas and let it sit in the heat for a few hours. That MF will expand like no ones business.

If all the vents we're somehow clogged or malfunctioning its likely that it swelled up enough to catch other components around it. That's even more likely if a support strap came loose and the tank has been slowly inching its way side to side.

Friction destroys man.

Get it taken apart and fix it ASAP. Sounds dangerous.
Zebra99 is offline   Canada
      09-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Crazylegs
Lieutenant

Drives: 08 Black on Red 335I

09-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
David1
Colonel

Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Something got jamed up there from the road. And a plastic cup is not the same as a plastic gas tank.
      10-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #8
ZondaF355
Private

ya sorry no pics but due to the position of said subject a pic would be harder to take than damn near fixing the problem...thanks for your dumbass comment thought man. If you dont have anything positive or helpful to say you should probably just not communicate. Someone has wayyyyyy too much free time unlike most of us here.