E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW Performance Exhaust - Need some inputs



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
gds52
Major
20
Rep
1,476
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 328i Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

BMW Performance Exhaust - Need some inputs

Hello Friends, I'm almost sure that I will get BMW PE.
My car is 328i 6MT convertible.

My question is, to get the most out of this exhaust, do I need to change the intake system as well? or Just the exhaust will be good.
BMW PE $1424 with installation.
BMW P intake costs around $1100 with installation.

Is this worth it changing the intake.

I'm inclined towards BMW performance intake.
Sorry if this is discussed before. Is there any other better option for intake.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Flyer
Captain
7
Rep
746
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92xi
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (8)

There are other good options for intakes that cost quite a bit less, as long as your warrenty is expired...lol. They also can often be found used. I have an AFE I plan to install when my warrenty expires. Only cost $200. The car will sound very good with just the exhaust, even better with both. If you search, you should be able to find sound clips with the exhaust only, and with the exhaust and the intake.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
gds52
Major
20
Rep
1,476
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 328i Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
There are other good options for intakes that cost quite a bit less, as long as your warrenty is expired...lol. They also can often be found used. I have an AFE I plan to install when my warrenty expires. Only cost $200. The car will sound very good with just the exhaust, even better with both. If you search, you should be able to find sound clips with the exhaust only, and with the exhaust and the intake.
Thanks Man !
My half year warranty is still left.
No patience to find a used exhaust.

My main concern is will PE sound much better with air intake or just PE will sound good.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
ny325
Captain
United_States
14
Rep
987
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328i jet black spt pkg
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Talking

I have the PE on my 328, and i love the nice sudtle, growl it makes. And wait until you start it up on the cold mornings. By the way, I don't have an intake. Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
gds52
Major
20
Rep
1,476
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 328i Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny325 View Post
I have the PE on my 328, and i love the nice sudtle, growl it makes. And wait until you start it up on the cold mornings. By the way, I don't have an intake. Good Luck!
Thanks bro.
I watched all the videos of all the exhuasts...on youtube.
only BMW PE is sounding the way I want it.
now im going to get it.
my only concern is is it worth spending extra $1100 on BMW performance exhaust ?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
ny325
Captain
United_States
14
Rep
987
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328i jet black spt pkg
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

My opinion is yes. That's because I prefer only OEM modifications. You wil find exhaust that cost less, however, you might not get that nice, growl sound of the PE. I don't like a loud, ricer exhaust. Keep it simple, and classy.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
ny325
Captain
United_States
14
Rep
987
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328i jet black spt pkg
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Talking

I have the PE on my 328, and i love the nice sudtle, growl it makes. And wait until you start it up on the cold mornings. By the way, I don't have an intake. Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
gds52
Major
20
Rep
1,476
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 328i Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny325 View Post
I have the PE on my 328, and i love the nice sudtle, growl it makes. And wait until you start it up on the cold mornings. By the way, I don't have an intake. Good Luck!
sorry my bad..typo.
i wanted to say, is it worth spending $1100 on BMW performance Intake (not exhaust).
Exhaust im surely going to get.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #9
AoS810
Second Lieutenant
AoS810's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
265
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 AW 328i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (5)

where are you getting your quotes from? seems excessively high.. I bought & installed my PE through LTBMW and it cost less than $1100. As for spending $1100 on the PI, I personally wouldn't do it for that price.. again very high.

To answer your question regarding better intake options, .
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 07:11 AM   #10
benzo23
Colonel
benzo23's Avatar
35
Rep
2,886
Posts

 
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: FL

iTrader: (1)

I'm personally going with the PE and going to get the Euro box. Granted its not an open CAI but it is a great oem sealed system with a cone filter and no charcoal filter so in theory it should move more air, I think paired with the PE it will give me the sound I'm looking for. Not really going for gains
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
gds52
Major
20
Rep
1,476
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 328i Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
I'm personally going with the PE and going to get the Euro box. Granted its not an open CAI but it is a great oem sealed system with a cone filter and no charcoal filter so in theory it should move more air, I think paired with the PE it will give me the sound I'm looking for. Not really going for gains
I checked the price for BMW PE, im getting it for around $1400 (tax, installation included).
For intake, they asked me to go for Dinan cold air intake (they couldnt find).
my BMW dealer is Dinan dealer as well.
I checked Dinan site, cold intake for my car is $500 and it talks about ugrading software. Is this something I will have to look into or it gets covered in the BMW dealership installation labor?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
Gjm127
Lieutenant
Gjm127's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
505
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montreal, QC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I have a ****load of experience in this exhaust as I've been working on it since last March.
If you want to work on sound, just get the PE, wait for it to kick in (a couple of weeks).
If the sound is not loud enough, get a cat delete.
If the sound is not loud enough, get whatever kind of intake.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #13
benzo23
Colonel
benzo23's Avatar
35
Rep
2,886
Posts

 
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
I checked the price for BMW PE, im getting it for around $1400 (tax, installation included).
For intake, they asked me to go for Dinan cold air intake (they couldnt find).
my BMW dealer is Dinan dealer as well.
I checked Dinan site, cold intake for my car is $500 and it talks about ugrading software. Is this something I will have to look into or it gets covered in the BMW dealership installation labor?
Dinan doesn't make software for the n52. And in all honestly you can make a dinan intake yourself, all they do is drill a hole in the bottom of the stock air box and run brake duct tubing down to behind the front left corner brake duct intake.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #14
gds52
Major
20
Rep
1,476
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 328i Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjm127 View Post
I have a ****load of experience in this exhaust as I've been working on it since last March.
If you want to work on sound, just get the PE, wait for it to kick in (a couple of weeks).
If the sound is not loud enough, get a cat delete.
If the sound is not loud enough, get whatever kind of intake.

Hope this helps.
Thanks man.
This is a real good piece of advice.
i will go for PE first
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #15
gds52
Major
20
Rep
1,476
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 328i Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
Dinan doesn't make software for the n52. And in all honestly you can make a dinan intake yourself, all they do is drill a hole in the bottom of the stock air box and run brake duct tubing down to behind the front left corner brake duct intake.
hmm...interesting. im ll go for PE first and will see how it works.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
Affify11
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
275
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahomo

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [2.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23
I'm personally going with the PE and going to get the Euro box. Granted its not an open CAI but it is a great oem sealed system with a cone filter and no charcoal filter so in theory it should move more air, I think paired with the PE it will give me the sound I'm looking for. Not really going for gains
Weren't you the one bashing the thread about the charcoal filter not doing sh*t?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #17
benzo23
Colonel
benzo23's Avatar
35
Rep
2,886
Posts

 
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affify11
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23
I'm personally going with the PE and going to get the Euro box. Granted its not an open CAI but it is a great oem sealed system with a cone filter and no charcoal filter so in theory it should move more air, I think paired with the PE it will give me the sound I'm looking for. Not really going for gains
Weren't you the one bashing the thread about the charcoal filter not doing sh*t?
Yes that was me, thank you for remembering. It's true going from a stock box to a stock box with no charcoal I noticed NOTHING regardless of k&n or paper because I used both. The euro box that im suggesting on the other hand has more internal air space in the box for one and secondly has a cone filter which has more surface area then the stock panel filter. Third there is no charcoal in there so the 3 things combined might give some sort of subtle difference. Either way I'm getting the euro box just to say that I have one and if it works better then great if not then thats ok I've spent a lot more on a lot worse lol
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #18
Delta0311
Brigadier General
Delta0311's Avatar
56
Rep
3,871
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

I got
Perf Exhaust
Euro intake
Eurchaged Tune
3-stage intake manifold

As far as perfromance goes the car now feels like a whole new ride.
__________________
Space Gray 2011 335xi E92
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #19
gds52
Major
20
Rep
1,476
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 328i Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the inputs and all the valuable information.
I've ordered BMW PE. Car is in the shop today for the installation.
Not getting the intake as of now.
But they gave me the price quote for Dinan intake add on.
the Dinan intake setup adds to the stock intake and its costing $730 (including, tax and labor). Is it worth spending this money on Dinan ??
I'm not that concerned with the performance, I want the sound :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #20
benzo23
Colonel
benzo23's Avatar
35
Rep
2,886
Posts

 
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Thanks for the inputs and all the valuable information.
I've ordered BMW PE. Car is in the shop today for the installation.
Not getting the intake as of now.
But they gave me the price quote for Dinan intake add on.
the Dinan intake setup adds to the stock intake and its costing $730 (including, tax and labor). Is it worth spending this money on Dinan ??
I'm not that concerned with the performance, I want the sound :-)
730!?!?!? FOR THE DINAN INTAKE? DID THAT INCLUDE LUBE? Bro look it up, you can make the dinan setup yourself at home depot for less then 50 dollars. If you dont like the stock box then stick with euro box or PI and thats it. I mean if all you want is sound then go with AFE or the Injen there both loud and shown to provide bad heat soak and losses lol
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #21
gds52
Major
20
Rep
1,476
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 328i Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
730!?!?!? FOR THE DINAN INTAKE? DID THAT INCLUDE LUBE? Bro look it up, you can make the dinan setup yourself at home depot for less then 50 dollars. If you dont like the stock box then stick with euro box or PI and thats it. I mean if all you want is sound then go with AFE or the Injen there both loud and shown to provide bad heat soak and losses lol
Thanks Man.
your are right. $730 is too much.
I will look for other options :-)
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST