E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Ohlins R&T / Swift Installed

10-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #45
Phil325i
Major

Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
You are lapping nurburgring with stock springs with no problem.
Not stock OEM springs. Alpina (like me) is running with the stock Ohlins springs supplied with their Road & Track kit.

I believe they're actually manufactured for Ohlins by Lesjofors.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Meyle HD droplinks; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; RM intake hose; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; LED Angels; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof
Phil325i is offline   United Kingdom
      10-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #46
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel

Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330d E91 LCI

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Quote:
Thanks for your input. You are lapping nurburgring with stock springs with no problem. Some who are not even tracking their car are doubling the front spring rate. I don't get why people double the front spring rate. I've seen like +100% and +200% front spring rates compared to the stock, and the stock spring rates front and rear are very well balanced from the factory.
I agree. I know several people with the Öhlins kit, and the guy who installed it has a few ten thousand Nürburgring laps under his belt, and all agree that at least for that circuit there's not much sense in changing the springs. It may be different for other circuits which are much flatter, though.

One thing I've heard say is that it would be good to be able to change rebound and compression independently from each other. But that is far beyond my skills of suspension setting-up.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      10-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #47
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel

Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330d E91 LCI

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Not stock OEM springs. Alpina (like me) is running with the stock Ohlins springs supplied with their Road & Track kit.

I believe they're actually manufactured for Ohlins by Lesjofors.
I think that's what he meant. Stock springs from Öhlins as opposed to Swift springs that some such as Harold are running.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      10-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #48
swifty
Major

Drives: FO M3

The springs that come with the ohlins kit, are they progressive or linear?
      10-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #49
Phil325i
Major

Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
The springs that come with the ohlins kit, are they progressive or linear?
Pretty sure they're linear. The spring windings are equally spaced over the length of the spring, front and rear. See for yourself:

http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/products/bms-mi00/
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Meyle HD droplinks; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; RM intake hose; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; LED Angels; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof
Phil325i is offline   United Kingdom
      10-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #50
DallasBoosted
Captain

Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Thanks for your input. You are lapping nurburgring with stock springs with no problem. Some who are not even tracking their car are doubling the front spring rate. I don't get why people double the front spring rate. I've seen like +100% and +200% front spring rates compared to the stock, and the stock spring rates front and rear are very well balanced from the factory.
The Ohlins kit is 60N/mm front springs which is 342lb/in. The stock front springs are 145lb/in.

The ohlins kit is 2.35 times stiffer than the stock sport springs in the front.

Interestingly they say their rear spring is 70N/mm, which is only 399lb/in. Thats actually softer than the stock ZSP rear springs which are 460lb/in.
      10-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #51
jippii ensio
Major

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
The Ohlins kit is 60N/mm front springs which is 342lb/in. The stock front springs are 145lb/in.

The ohlins kit is 2.35 times stiffer than the stock sport springs in the front.

Interestingly they say their rear spring is 70N/mm, which is only 399lb/in. Thats actually softer than the stock ZSP rear springs which are 460lb/in.
Exactly. When you multiply the spring rates with the motion ratios, you get the stock wheel rates to be f 134 r 146, which is very well balanced. Now with the Ohlins spring rates, the front wheel rate becomes a lot higher than the rear wheel rate. The stock spring rates provide the most balanced wheel rates as far as I can tell.