Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Can you patch a run-flat-tire?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
rbtamms
Major
Philippines

Drives: 2011 E90 and 2013 F25

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
I used plug on my Honda Odyssey PAX RFT tire before. My tire back then only have 10k miles & I used the tire 'till it worn out at 35k. To my surprise, the plug hold really well plus the van is much more heavier than a car.

So, in my experience...it's ok to use plug on an RFT tires. Patching is more expensive because tires needs to be removed.
      10-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #24
fireline43
Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

I did the whole run around to different tire places to find one to plug my run flats. After that, I replaced the tired next week to non-rft. RFT's are a complete scam to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #25
bmwpride335i
Major
United_States

Drives: 07 SUPERCHARGED 680HP VETTE

patched/plugged my rear because of a nail in the middle. of course you can't plug a sidewall of a RFT but long as its in the meat of the tire section it should be fine. its been about a year and no problem whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #26
Tom K.
Major General
United_States

Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

If the puncture is small, my local tire shop plugs it without dismounting the tire from the wheel. As one Turanza EL42 RFT had such an issue - but was not run below 30 psi - they plugged it and it has needed NO air in 3,000+ miles.

I carry a 12v compressor so that a minor leak may be refilled en route to service and the tire will (hopefully) not be damaged.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #27
phillip@bmpdesign
Private First Class
United_States

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Some RFT are safe to be repaired, some are not, any damage to the tire will compromise the structural integrity of the entire tire.

I believe the manufacturers that are repairable: Michelin ZP tires, Bridgestone RFT tires, Goodyear and Dunlop EMT tires and DSST tires, and BFG runflat tires.

Manufacturers that are not repairable: Pirelli, Yokohama, Kumho, and Continental.

Most places don't want to work on them because they probably don't have a replacement in stock and half the time the liner on the inner sidewalls is completely shredded.

I know Discount Tire Co and Americas Tire Co will repair runflat tires as long as the hole isn't too big, it isn't outside the steel belt reinforced area of the tread, and there isn't any sidewall or shoulder damage. They reference the list above and update that list as the manufacturers do.

In general a plug is just a piece of strung with gooey stuff on it that temporarily slows or stops a leak until that goo dries out. A properly installed patch will actually chemically bond to the liner reinforcing that area (and make it 3-5 times thicker in that area). Both should only be applied to the rigid steel belted area of the tire, since the sidewall and shoulder are designed to flex, damage to that area can get worse as the tire is driven on.

Also, the slime stuff is not intended to be left in the tire indefinitely. It is combined with a plug and compressor in lieu of a spare, and may damage the liner of the tire. It can get you somewhere safely, and like above could take you thousands of miles, but it isn't intended to.
Like us on facebook!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #28
nukezero
Major
United_States

Drives: '09 335I Cpe

You can patch a Runflat no problem. I patched my rear at a reputable chain shop and they gave me no trouble. I drove the rear tire to bald tread on the Michelin PS2.

The only issue is that once the tire is patched like that, the effective speed rating drops a category or two.
      10-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #29
haskindm

Drives: 2009 E93 335i

Rather than guessing or relying on here-say. Do a Google search on RFT Tire repair. Her is the information directly from the Michelin site:

Tire Repair
If your tire becomes damaged, it may be repaired if it meets the following criteria:

1.The tire has not been driven on when flat
2.The damage is only on the tread section of your tire (sidewall damage ruins a tire immediately) and/or
3.The puncture is no greater than "

For help on how to inspect your tire, click here.

If your tire is flat, we can help teach you how to change a tire.

Patch, Yes. Plug, No.
The proper way to have a tire repaired is to patch the tire from the inside and fill the puncture hole. Do not have your tire plugged. Ever. Plug repairs do not involve taking the tire off the wheel for a proper inspection. A plug is simply inserted into the punctured area, making it unreliable. Insist on a full inspection and have your dealer demount and internally as well as externally inspect the tire, patch and fill the repair on the inside of the tire.

If you need to find the right new tire for your vehicle, use the Team Michelin Tire Selector.

A "patch-plug" is made for just this purpose. It is inserted from inside the tire to plug the hole and includes a patch that covers the repair on the inside of the tire. The plug prevents water and debris from entering the hole (steel belts can actually rust) and the patch seals the tire.

Last edited by haskindm; 10-03-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: add info
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #30
theblackmamba
Banned

Drives: 0

if its in the middle of the tire and a 1 finger lenth from the center of the tire then patch or plug it.

if its further from that then replace the tire.

You dont have to run a run flat tire because bmw says so.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #31
Wrecker335d
Wondering what to do..
United_States

Drives: like a cock

As long as it is not close to the tires side wall. Ive had my RFT patched for 8k miles, and it is rolling fine.

OEF Veteran
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #32
iBoost
Brigadier General

Drives: real slow

yes you can. i plugged my stock set of tires about 10 times (okay not ten but more than twice) since they seem to pick up nails fairly easy. they even rode fine while plugged and flat.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #33
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
I had a nail in my runflat last week.. Dealership said its highly unsafe to patch it, they gave me a new tire free of charge.
Just one tire? I thought if one rear Goes bad you have to replace the other rear too. And same goes with fronts. Or are you just riding around on one new tire and rest are used.? Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #34
Sara504
Lieutenant General
United_States

Drives: 2013 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90_boostjunky View Post
Just one tire? I thought if one rear Goes bad you have to replace the other rear too. And same goes with fronts. Or are you just riding around on one new tire and rest are used.? Just curious.
See I thought that too and I asked them when they told me they were replacing the tire. He said its common for BMW to only replace one when the other has a lot of tread life left. If my other tire had like 30k miles on it then they would replace both fronts.

2013 335is-Current
2011 335i -Sold 4/13 2006 325i-Sold 7/11
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #35
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States

Drives: 06 e90 330i & 06 e90 325i

I have had three run flats repaired in the past, one on a Continental Contisport All Seasons and two of our Bridgestone Potenza summer tires and every tire dealer I talked to stressed the fact the tire needs to be patched, not plugged. I had been lucky enough to notice that the tire was low and that we did not drive on the tire in a flat condition. The only thing that I got was mixed reviews on what happens to the speed rating of the tire once it has been flat/repaired. I also prefer that my tires, even traditional radials be patched, not plugged. I also have purchased used Bridgestone Summer Tires that have been patched and have not had any problems whatsoever.

06 e90 325i /Jet Black/Black Leatherette/Steptronic/Cold Weather Package/Style 197's
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #36
techwiz
Jet Black
Canada

Drives: 2009 E92 328i

Garage List
2009 E92 328i  [0.00]
I had one of my RFTs plugged 3 months ago. I asked for it to be patched, but the tire shop said the plug was sufficient. No problems with the tire.
Appreciate 0