E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Will a manual ever be as smooth as an auto



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
Rons335i
Private
7
Rep
70
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anaheim

iTrader: (0)

Will a manual ever be as smooth as an auto

I drove manual for about 10 years and just recently got an auto 335i.

What a difference when it comes to being smooth. Most notable from first to 2nd gear without the slight bob or jerk.

Will they ever make a manual transmission where this isn't a slight gerk while switching gears.

I consider myself a pretty good manual driver.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
vince217
Private First Class
No_Country
3
Rep
198
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 e83 2.5i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
10 years and you were never able to make smooth gear switches from 1st to 2nd??!
__________________
Current: 2005 BMW X3 2.5i / 2010 Acura MDX Tech
Previous: 2008 BMW E92 328i MT Sport / 2007 VW Passat 2.0T / 2004 Honda CR-V / 1996 Audi A4 2.8
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
VTECaddict's Avatar
47
Rep
4,628
Posts

 
Drives: 06 330i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bakersfield, CA

iTrader: (4)

It's a manual transmission. Smoothness is entirely up to the driver.
__________________
AW/Terra | ZSP | ZPP | ZCW | iDrive | CA
Mods: BC BR | OEM Blacklines | M-tech rear | custom dual exhaust | M3 steering wheel | BMW SSK | ZHP shift knob | BMW Performance rep spoiler
Varrstoen ES1 19x9.5+20 Front, 19x11+25 rear
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
mbferrari
Private First Class
mbferrari's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
129
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
It's a manual transmission. Smoothness is entirely up to the driver.
I loved Senna with all my heart, but try to drive as smoothly as Prost. He once said when he was learning how to drive he would think about having a glass of water on the front of his car and trying not to spill a drop.

Smooth = Fast.

MB
__________________
“I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money.” — Barack Obama, Socialist
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
CJ421
Brigadier General
CJ421's Avatar
United_States
60
Rep
3,263
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
It is possible to drive these cars smoothly. Getting a CDV delete will help but smoothness is a direct result of timing shifts. The revs in a 335 hang noticeably especially 1>2 so you have to compensate for it aka be patient. I like to think I am pretty smooth.
__________________
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
GChase
Captain
GChase's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
701
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 328i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Louisville, KY

iTrader: (0)

I think the real question is will an auto ever be as fun to drive as a manual
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
BrazilianBimmer
Captain
10
Rep
776
Posts

 
Drives: Black e90 325i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbferrari View Post
I loved Senna with all my heart, but try to drive as smoothly as Prost. He once said when he was learning how to drive he would think about having a glass of water on the front of his car and trying not to spill a drop.

Smooth = Fast.

MB
Why do you love Senna so much?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
BabyrayS2k
Private First Class
BabyrayS2k's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan Sport Package
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Birmingham, Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GChase View Post
I think the real question is will an auto ever be as fun to drive as a manual
No it won't. But the real question is will a manual ever be as quick as an auto.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 04:21 AM   #9
jvsxn
Lieutenant Colonel
jvsxn's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,720
Posts

 
Drives: e-ninety
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to jvsxn
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince217 View Post
10 years and you were never able to make smooth gear switches from 1st to 2nd??!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
It's a manual transmission. Smoothness is entirely up to the driver.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mbferrari View Post
I loved Senna with all my heart, but try to drive as smoothly as Prost. He once said when he was learning how to drive he would think about having a glass of water on the front of his car and trying not to spill a drop.

Smooth = Fast.

MB
The water part reminded me of Initial D's tofu runs
__________________
Hiatus
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
sammy_0559's Avatar
United_States
47
Rep
1,948
Posts

 
Drives: e93 2008 Montego Metallic 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FortWorth, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [1.83]
driver mod
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
theblackmamba
Banned
38
Rep
2,287
Posts

 
Drives: 0
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 1

iTrader: (8)

my auto isnt smooth.

then again i dont drive like a pansy.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #12
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
JoeyBananaz18's Avatar
49
Rep
3,763
Posts

 
Drives: metrocard
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Whitestone, NY

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianBimmer View Post
Why do you love Senna so much?
With a use name like yours, do you really have to ask?

As for the smoothness, i had a 535gt as a loaner and loved the way the 8 speed changed gears. later on I had an auto 335 as a loaner and hated the way it changed gears.
__________________
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
ndog14
Banned
United_States
28
Rep
1,746
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
It's a manual transmission. Smoothness is entirely up to the driver.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
BrazilianBimmer
Captain
10
Rep
776
Posts

 
Drives: Black e90 325i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananaz18 View Post
With a use name like yours, do you really have to ask?

As for the smoothness, i had a 535gt as a loaner and loved the way the 8 speed changed gears. later on I had an auto 335 as a loaner and hated the way it changed gears.
Just wanted to see if the guy's brazilian
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
mashimarho
BMW Genius
mashimarho's Avatar
United_States
195
Rep
10,565
Posts

 
Drives: e92 LCI 335i xDrive™
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, michigan

iTrader: (36)

Garage List
I was able to drive REAL smooth when I disabled my turbos with MAP 8. LOL
__________________

My Progress: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770326
Volk///ER///BMS///KW///VRSF///ARKYM///DD///CYBA///STOPTECH///BMW Performance ///
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
gds52
Major
20
Rep
1,480
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 328i Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananaz18 View Post
With a use name like yours, do you really have to ask?

As for the smoothness, i had a 535gt as a loaner and loved the way the 8 speed changed gears. later on I had an auto 335 as a loaner and hated the way it changed gears.
good one !!!
The name SENNA is enough !
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #17
ChipB
First Lieutenant
ChipB's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
321
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i 'vert, 2014 X5
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Naperville, IL

iTrader: (0)

The premise of this thread is entirely wrong. I find the shifting on the 335i with tiptronic to be much jerkier than my old manual tranmission E36. It's really annoying taking off from a stop light the way the car hesitates as you hit the gas and then it shifts to 2nd too soon, causing a jerky hesitation. I have found that the best way to make a smooth launch from a stop is to hold the brake witjh my left foot, goose the gas slightly with my right to get the revs up a bit, then release the brake.

I miss my E36 manual tranny!
__________________
E93 335i convertible, F15 X5 xDrive35i
Previous: E36 328iC, E28 528e, E21 320i
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
weaksauce
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
239
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 6MT AW
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rons335i View Post
I consider myself a pretty good manual driver.
I am glad at least one person on this forum considers you a good manual driver.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #19
weaksauce
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
239
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 6MT AW
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyrayS2k View Post
No it won't. But the real question is will a manual ever be as quick as an auto.
Only recently did autos become faster then manuals, so the answer to this question would be 40 some odd years ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #20
mbferrari
Private First Class
mbferrari's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
129
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianBimmer View Post
Why do you love Senna so much?
He was my first favorite driver when he came into F1 back in the 80's. I saw him race in Detroit when he was in the McLaren MP-4/4 and it was a sight to behold.

I still think he is the best F1 driver to ever walk the face of the planet.

MB
__________________
“I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money.” — Barack Obama, Socialist
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #21
NoTempoLimitN54
Second Lieutenant
NoTempoLimitN54's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
237
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyrayS2k View Post
No it won't. But the real question is will a manual ever be as quick as an auto.
What??? You're talking about Dual Clutch Transmission, and calling that an "auto" right? Otherwise that's pure car salesman B.S.

The only E9x that have a transmission that will allow for faster accelleration than the 6 speed manual transmission are the 335is and the M3 with 7 speed DCT. It's about 0.1 second faster 0-60 mph. I believe you have to use Launch Control to get those numbers too (not that you are babying the 6MT's clutch to get it's best 0-60 and 1/4 mi times).

If you are talking about the ubiquitous 6 speed conventional (torque converter) "steptronic" automatic that's in 99%+ of the 328's and 335's, its about 0.5 second SLOWER than the manual 0-60 mph.

Conventional automatic transmissions usually have a first gear ratio comparable to second gear in an equivalent car with manual transmission, and use the torque converter slip to get started with torque multiplication in that tall first gear. That's one reason why they are slower off the line.

What I have noticed is that we now have cars where the automatic gets better gas mileage. I would expect this is because of 2nd gear starts in the default "econo" mode (like 3rd gear in a manual car) and upshifting at very low rpm. Most people would not enjoy driving in that mode anyway and would switch it off, loosing the small mpg advantage it would give.

The 8 speed ZF automatic (also torque converter, but very advanced) in the F30's is getting good reviews though even from the gearhead press. But that tranny was never available in our cars.
__________________

2009 335i 6MT (E92/N54), Black Sapphire / Shadowline (Individual 760) / Black Dakota Leather, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, PDC, no Nav/iDrive, 19 x 8.5 / 19 x 9.5 VMR VB3 in Hyper Black, Pilot Super Sport 235/35 fr 265/30 rr, M3 control arms + tension links (fr)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #22
redline2001
Lieutenant
13
Rep
490
Posts

 
Drives: AW 328i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: LI, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTempoLimitN54 View Post
What??? You're talking about Dual Clutch Transmission, and calling that an "auto" right? Otherwise that's pure car salesman B.S.

The only E9x that have a transmission that will allow for faster accelleration than the 6 speed manual transmission are the 335is and the M3 with 7 speed DCT. It's about 0.1 second faster 0-60 mph. I believe you have to use Launch Control to get those numbers too (not that you are babying the 6MT's clutch to get it's best 0-60 and 1/4 mi times).

If you are talking about the ubiquitous 6 speed conventional (torque converter) "steptronic" automatic that's in 99%+ of the 328's and 335's, its about 0.5 second SLOWER than the manual 0-60 mph.

Conventional automatic transmissions usually have a first gear ratio comparable to second gear in an equivalent car with manual transmission, and use the torque converter slip to get started with torque multiplication in that tall first gear. That's one reason why they are slower off the line.

What I have noticed is that we now have cars where the automatic gets better gas mileage. I would expect this is because of 2nd gear starts in the default "econo" mode (like 3rd gear in a manual car) and upshifting at very low rpm. Most people would not enjoy driving in that mode anyway and would switch it off, loosing the small mpg advantage it would give.

The 8 speed ZF automatic (also torque converter, but very advanced) in the F30's is getting good reviews though even from the gearhead press. But that tranny was never available in our cars.
Your stats maybe correct but those time were with professional drivers. In the everyday world with everyday drivers the auto will be faster. I'm a manual driver for the past 22 yrs but must admit autos have come a longgg way.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST