E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Black fuzz? Looks like oil



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Sherj
Private First Class
3
Rep
177
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i coupe
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CNJ

iTrader: (3)

Black fuzz? Looks like oil

I have this weird black fuzz towards the front of the engine, around and on the vanos solenoid. I know many people have had oil gasket leaks but my oil filter housing shows no sign of oil leakage. I also had notice that there was some oil on the driver side wishbone when doing an oil change. Anyone encounters this problem or know what it may be?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-z...2/DSC01446.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Y...2/DSC01447.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Y...2/DSC01448.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Z...2/DSC01449.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-a...2/DSC01450.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3...2/DSC01451.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-p...2/DSC01452.JPG
__________________
If all else fails pull the handbrake.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
enrita
Major General
enrita's Avatar
Sweden
94
Rep
7,331
Posts

 
Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

iTrader: (0)

nice pictures...
__________________
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
raceyBMW
king of the hills
raceyBMW's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
2,832
Posts

 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1994 530i  [4.25]
2007 335i Coupe  [4.07]
Valve cover gasket most likely, but could also be broken valve cover bolt. Try and torque them down to spec first and see if any were loose. If not, then replace VCG.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
Todd135i
Private First Class
United_States
2
Rep
128
Posts

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (3)

Hard to see on my phone but certainly looks like oil seepage with dirt/dust sticking to it. Kind of baked in place. I've seen it on many other older cars with gasket leaks or oil spillage that was never cleaned up.

I'd carefully clean it off and watch it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Sherj
Private First Class
3
Rep
177
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i coupe
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CNJ

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
nice pictures...
Thanks I try my best

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceyBMW View Post
Valve cover gasket most likely, but could also be broken valve cover bolt. Try and torque them down to spec first and see if any were loose. If not, then replace VCG.
I had a feeling it may be the valve cover gasket, I'll go grab a torque wrench and check out if any where loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd135i View Post
Hard to see on my phone but certainly looks like oil seepage with dirt/dust sticking to it. Kind of baked in place. I've seen it on many other older cars with gasket leaks or oil spillage that was never cleaned up.

I'd carefully clean it off and watch it.

After torquing the valve cover down I'll clean of the black fuzz, I have not been losing very much oil but its something I'll keep my eye on.
__________________
If all else fails pull the handbrake.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
Sherj
Private First Class
3
Rep
177
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i coupe
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CNJ

iTrader: (3)

I forgot to ask does anyone know the how much I need to torque the valve cover bolt?
__________________
If all else fails pull the handbrake.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
ianthegreat
Colonel
ianthegreat's Avatar
30
Rep
2,314
Posts

 
Drives: n54
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh/Houston

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherj View Post
After torquing the valve cover down I'll clean of the black fuzz, I have not been losing very much oil but its something I'll keep my eye on.
Yea, while it may look like a lot. In reality it's not that bad if you don't mind it gunking up. I probably wouldn't fix it unless I saw "wet" oil. <-- if that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Sherj
Private First Class
3
Rep
177
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i coupe
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CNJ

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianthegreat View Post
Yea, while it may look like a lot. In reality it's not that bad if you don't mind it gunking up. I probably wouldn't fix it unless I saw "wet" oil. <-- if that makes sense.
Yeah it makes sense I have yet to see "wet oil", it has always been black and fizzy but I'll just keep an eye on it. If I start seeing a significant drop in oil then it will be a cause for alarm. I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and how he/she went about fixing it.
__________________
If all else fails pull the handbrake.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
335iSSA
Captain
Poland
8
Rep
603
Posts

 
Drives: 07' E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Frederick, MD

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherj View Post
I forgot to ask does anyone know the how much I need to torque the valve cover bolt?
According to the Bentley manual 75 in/lb. There are 28 in all.

Last edited by 335iSSA; 04-23-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
reiss91
New Member
1
Rep
24
Posts

 
Drives: tacoma
Join Date: May 2011
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iSSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherj View Post
I forgot to ask does anyone know the how much I need to torque the valve cover bolt?
According to the Bentley manual 75 lb/ft. There are 28 in all.
It is NOT 75ft/lbs.

It's like 9nm or something. It's actually written on a sticker on the valve cover.

Also that looks like the vanos solenoid seals are leaking. If there's no other oil around the valve cover I go with the leaking solenoids.

Also check your oil filter housing gasket.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
335iSSA
Captain
Poland
8
Rep
603
Posts

 
Drives: 07' E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Frederick, MD

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiss91 View Post
It is NOT 75ft/lbs.

It's like 9nm or something. It's actually written on a sticker on the valve cover.

Also that looks like the vanos solenoid seals are leaking. If there's no other oil around the valve cover I go with the leaking solenoids.

Also check your oil filter housing gasket.
You are correct it is 75 in/lb
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #12
reiss91
New Member
1
Rep
24
Posts

 
Drives: tacoma
Join Date: May 2011
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

I find it interesting the Bentley manual gives it in in/lbs instead of nm. After all this is a German car and is metric.

8.6nm is what is written on the valve cover
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
Sherj
Private First Class
3
Rep
177
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i coupe
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CNJ

iTrader: (3)

Just to update you guys I found the problem was not the valve gasket or the oil filter housing gasket. It turned out the o ring for the crank sensor which is right above the inlet vanos was not good, So I replaced it and not more leaking. This person also had a similar problem but his crank sensor was located by the manifold http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737210
__________________
If all else fails pull the handbrake.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #14
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
sammy_0559's Avatar
United_States
47
Rep
1,946
Posts

 
Drives: e93 2008 Montego Metallic 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FortWorth, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [1.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherj View Post
Just to update you guys I found the problem was not the valve gasket or the oil filter housing gasket. It turned out the o ring for the crank sensor which is right above the inlet vanos was not good, So I replaced it and not more leaking. This person also had a similar problem but his crank sensor was located by the manifold http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737210
I replaced the crank position sensor not due to oil leakage but due to a bad sensor that would not let me shit gears at all.

what you more than likely replaced, because it was close to your vanos is the CAMshaft sensor Oring

crank and Cam are completely different
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #15
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
bigdaddycane's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,608
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Va

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
nice find OP.....thanks for posting.

Quote:
not due to oil leakage but due to a bad sensor that would not let me shit gears at all.
man, I hope I don't ever shit my gears....
__________________

COBB AP|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #16
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
24
Rep
1,760
Posts

 
Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (0)

Leaking oil filter housing gasket weeps oil and it runs onto the front of the motor, collecting dirt over time. Mine looked the same - it was not the VC gasket. I replaced the oil filter housing gasket and cleaned it up with brake clean. Remove the belly pan and use a large drain pan or drip pan available from an auto parts store or even a big sheet of cardboard to catch the runoff.
__________________
RRT Racing
E92 335i/6MT Dinan Stage 3: intercooler, oil cooler, intake, flash, exhaust, LW dual-mass flywheel.
Vishnu PWM methanol custom trunk mount, Diffsonline 3-clutch Salisbury custom diff, Ohlins Road and Track coilovers, Vorshlag camber plates, much more...
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
Sherj
Private First Class
3
Rep
177
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i coupe
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CNJ

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy_0559 View Post
I replaced the crank position sensor not due to oil leakage but due to a bad sensor that would not let me shit gears at all.

what you more than likely replaced, because it was close to your vanos is the CAMshaft sensor Oring

crank and Cam are completely different
Oops your absolutely right thanks for pointing that out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
Leaking oil filter housing gasket weeps oil and it runs onto the front of the motor, collecting dirt over time. Mine looked the same - it was not the VC gasket. I replaced the oil filter housing gasket and cleaned it up with brake clean. Remove the belly pan and use a large drain pan or drip pan available from an auto parts store or even a big sheet of cardboard to catch the runoff.
This might be the case, but once I had replaced the o-ring I did not see any more oil. I will keep an eye on the oil filter housing since it is around that time for me to swap it it anyway. Since I lack a oil cooler I assume it should not be to bad replaceing the oil filter hosing gasket.
__________________
If all else fails pull the handbrake.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #18
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
24
Rep
1,760
Posts

 
Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (0)

You have to lift the manifold up a little - so there is some headache involved. I just unscrewed the 6 nuts and 1 bolt that hold the manifold down to the head and lifted it up a bit to gain access to one of the Torx head bolts that holds the filter housing to the head.

I would recommend washing down the engine and blowing out the area around the manifold-to-head interface with compressed air. It will remove any dirt and sand that has collected so you don't drop that stuff into the intake ports. Do not wash the engine without the cover in place, though. BMW states quite boldly in their manuals that the injectors are not waterproof and should never get wet.
__________________
RRT Racing
E92 335i/6MT Dinan Stage 3: intercooler, oil cooler, intake, flash, exhaust, LW dual-mass flywheel.
Vishnu PWM methanol custom trunk mount, Diffsonline 3-clutch Salisbury custom diff, Ohlins Road and Track coilovers, Vorshlag camber plates, much more...
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
oil leak. gasket

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST