E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coding problem: what is MRS5.ipo?

10-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Coding problem: what is MRS5.ipo?

After much pain, I've finally gotten updated SPDaten and have the whole BMW toolchain installed. I'm finally to the point that INPA will read my car happily, but upon trying to query airbag info, I get the error
C:\EC-APPS\INPA\sgdat\MRS5.ipo(1) : error I300: Error opening object file

Clearly I've loaded the SPDaten wrong, but I can't begin to tell you why. Any ideas?

UPDATE: the above INPA install is 5.0.6. I had an install of 5.0.1 (or .2?) gotten from elsewhere. I copied the files from .2's sgdat into .6's, replacing the missing file and fixing THIS error. but now I get a bunch of angry version mismatch errors in INPA. Is that do do with copying the files as I did, or is that an indication that my ECU software is more up to date than my SPDaten?

So I'm getting errors like this. They are scary.

EDIT again: also this other version error. I feel like I shouldn't ignore these.

And edit again. Following the infamous NCS_DIY.pdf, I get to step 40, hit F3, and get this third error: VIN is faulty, error in coding description file.

Does anyone have a recent, actually-functional coding setup tutorial? I can't seem to find anything cohesive.
Attached Images

Last edited by alexwhittemore; 10-04-2012 at 09:54 PM.
      10-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
freon480
12:34

Drives: 06 E90 325xi

i just used the files from the coding DIY in the links and the DIY and sucessfully coded with no issues. i would recommend removing all the coding related files you have on your computer and starting from scratch. for what reason did you switch the daten files and different inpas? you need to stick with one for it to work.
      10-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel

Got specific references? I've used just about every individual DIY tutorial on e90post, *********, and bimmerforums.
      10-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #4
freon480

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451145
from the sticky at the top of this subforum. has a diy pdf and link to files as well.
      10-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel

Yep. Line 40 of that PDF is where my very problems stop me in my tracks. And that's only after getting an up to date toolchain together - the software linked in that post is woefully out of date.
      10-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #6
freon480

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Yep. Line 40 of that PDF is where my very problems stop me in my tracks. And that's only after getting an up to date toolchain together - the software linked in that post is woefully out of date.
i just downloaded the software this weekend from that link and sucessfully coded with it. so i doubt it is the software.
      10-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #7
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel

What car and what OS? It may not be the problem, but it is a matter of fact that both INPA and Ediabas are a few versions old in that download. They seemed to get angry at my data file updates, but I'm not sure whether it's the software being old or the data updates being incomplete that's to blame.

Edit: looking at your profile info - is it the 06 325xi in question? 3 years isn't long for a car, but it's an eternity in software. It wouldn't surprise me if that's part of the issue.
      10-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
freon480

Quote:
What car and what OS? It may not be the problem, but it is a matter of fact that both INPA and Ediabas are a few versions old in that download. They seemed to get angry at my data file updates, but I'm not sure whether it's the software being old or the data updates being incomplete that's to blame.

Edit: looking at your profile info - is it the 06 325xi in question? 3 years isn't long for a car, but it's an eternity in software. It wouldn't surprise me if that's part of the issue.
yes mine is an 06 325xi and i am coding with a 32bit laptop with windows xp. i tried running ncsexpert on my other laptop which is windows 7 64bit using xp mode in virtual machines and could not get that set up to communicate at all with the car. if you are getting error codes back from the car i would say that you are either setting up the files or profiles wrong, using conflicting versions or inpa//edibias or as you mentioned different data updates. but im no expert. there is a thread to post in for errors like this id recommend http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618647
      10-05-2012, 02:20 AM   #9
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel

So it's funny, I guess all of my problems boil down to me being stubborn about passing the airbag test in INPA. At least for me, INPA is almost nonfunctional with the above zip file of software. I had mixed and matched and gotten the toolchain to the point that it'd work well enough to not throw many errors and to query all the right info, but then NCSEXPERT was broken.

In the end, I just went back to the zip you used, ignored INPA totally, and tried coding. Worked fine.

Oh well . Hey, now my fob rolls up my windows, I'm a happy camper.
      10-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant

Drives: N54 335xi

Quote:
So it's funny, I guess all of my problems boil down to me being stubborn about passing the airbag test in INPA. At least for me, INPA is almost nonfunctional with the above zip file of software. I had mixed and matched and gotten the toolchain to the point that it'd work well enough to not throw many errors and to query all the right info, but then NCSEXPERT was broken.

In the end, I just went back to the zip you used, ignored INPA totally, and tried coding. Worked fine.

Oh well . Hey, now my fob rolls up my windows, I'm a happy camper.
I've read plenty of posts about getting errors from the airbag check but everything else working fine.
That's why when I started coding I didn't even do the test. Reading the modules successfully was good enough for me to risk updating them
      10-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
freon480

glad you got it sorted out!
      06-05-2013, 03:30 AM   #12
ntheo

Drives: 320i MSport

INPA file sequense

Regarding the issue about mrs5.ipo I would like to share my knowledge from forum info. INPA calls *.ipo files which in turn search for *.grp and *.prg in EDIABAS\ECU folder in order to connect to a module. In order to connect to airbag module via INPA [for diagnosis only] you must have INPA\SGDAT\mrs5.ipo and also EDIABAS\ECU\mrs5.prg

Hoping that this is helpful

Rgrds

Theo
ntheo is offline   Cyprus